Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

Outstanding job Paul D, on both the build that stood up to race conditions, and winning the racing itself ! Beating the gassers at their own game, one that they've been playing for over 100 years, marks an historic point in the electric revolution.

How's it feel to be the Motorized Bicycle Champion of the World?

Congrats Paul D! Looks like everyone had a great time as well, even us arm chair racers. Can't wait for the videos.

kfong said:
Congrats Paul D! Looks like everyone had a great time as well, even us arm chair racers. Can't wait for the videos.
+1

(Looking forward to the stats from CAs too.)

Heal-up fast, Amberwolf.

Lotta pix of the bikes courtesy of "Maxpower" at mb forums:

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k616/maxpowermotorbike/

mb thread, post-race:
http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743-32.html

(edit for typos)

Paul D, you are my hero today. :D
Winning a race with lower power, is the proof of a real champ. 8)

Now that we all know that it is feasable, I predict that gassers are soon left behind in their own smoke. The next step is the E-bikes entering this race with power advantage, and reliability to finish.

Thanks to all of you, who built for this race and contributed to this great event.

Dogman here posting on Wineboys computer.

Wow what an epic night it was! Absolutely unbeliveable how many bikes, gas and electric were being franticly fixed in the pits after the first heat race. Paul D blowing the fast local bikes off thier own backyard track on his first visit was an awesome display of riding skill.

I sure hope I got some video of the heat before I laid er down. Not sure if I ever got the rear cam turned on, but there should be something in the front cam, up till the point where I smashed it in the crash.

I was battling with a local gas bike rider for a lap or two, but was just plain riding for crap. I'd screw up a corner and get passed, then blow him away on a long straight. Then two corners later I'd pussy out again and get passed. After a few cycles of this I lost my cool, decided to own him in a corner, and screamed into a hairpin way way way too fast. It was hit the dirt or try to drift it, and as I was, of course, laying er down, there he goes by me on the outside. I'd left him no other choice by then, and so I ended up sliding right under his wheels. Nothing busted but both bikes and my camera. But the guy I took out was not too happy with me. Body armor is great stuff, but I have to say I'm a bit sore this morning.

By the main event, which everybody could still run in regardless, I was quite happy to line up where I had earned, just about last, and cruise the main event as a spectator. Right from the first turn I just didn't feel right in the corner, but just couldn't place what exactly was the problem. Both wheels were still bent enough to make braking fun, with the wheels locking up if I tried to use em much. Never quite figured out till later I had a slowly deflating front tire, but I stayed out there trying to at least capture a moment on a cheapie camerea pinned to my jacket. Still was trying to at least look better on the home straight where I could at least haul ass past the spectators before creeping around another corner. At some point a battery connector pulled out, so I got to stop and fix that too.

Just about as the winners were getting the checker, smoke billowed out of the front hubs vent holes, and only when in the pits did I see that my front tire was down to about 5 psi.

As they say in Mythbusters, well there's yer problem! Like Luke, I was still grinning from ear to ear, even as i got lapped about 6 times by everybody.

So my personal score,

1 laydown
1 smashed $100 camera
2 bent wheels
1 disconnected battery
1 flat tire
1 smoked motor
1 shit eating grin through it all. :mrgreen:

Wineboyrider trophied since he was the second fastest ebike in the main event, on a commuter bike! woo hoo!

Amberwolf trophied for being the only recumbet bike to show up at all! Whoo Hoo!. Hope his badly sprained ankle heals fast.

Off now to dump my remaining cash at the huge swap meet. I'll need to see what video I got tomorrow when I get home, and get it up on youtube by monday afternoon.

Cheers to the champion!

PaulD2.jpg

Do I understand 3 trophies for eBikes? Y'all rocked it, good times for all...

Congrats to all you guys! Heal fast and well AW!
otherDoc

Hey PaulD! Where did you develop your racing skillz? That is simply an awesome win in "hostile territory"!
otherDoc

As they say, "Rubbin is racin". :) :)

Well done by all, and congrats to PaulD. Looks to me like, youth triumphs over age and experience. :lol: :lol:

Sure hope Amberwolf is not seriously messed up.

Looking forward to more photos and videos. ES members ROCK. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Congrats PaulD!

Nice choice of Hookworms and Fox Float suspension (I've got the same :D )

Looking forward to some more photos of your bike & reduction setup.

Great to hear about everyone else's adventures too, I can't wait to see some video footage!

I've been reading about the Death Race and wishing I could have been there. I got to thinking that a CD could be made incorporating pics and videos of participants and viewers and sold with the proceeds going to ES.

Quite clearly, I need to review PaulD's buildlog!

Well done by all, I sincerely regret I could not provide any batts for this race, I would have enjoyed taking part vicariously.

Lots of people talk, but you guys just "put up" and I have massive respect for that.

Regardless of how you finished, way to go!

*must*have*footage* !!

Katou

Congrats to Paul and all you guys and Im so jellous I could not make it.
Next time... I will bring something very fast!
I think Pauls bike did so well partial because at the lower levels cooling was not an issue!

Hey Paul :mrgreen: softly softly catchy monkey :lol: yes goes to show a well thought out bike, light rider with a decent bike makes all the difference, there is no point having loads of power if its unreliable and or the bike doesnt handle, nice one! and yes must review the build log again and this was with a std infineon controller? wowzers! and its reliable :mrgreen:

So how many laps of this track did you all have to do and what was the total distance? looking forward to seeing the ride videos, big thanks to Luke for posting up the pictures as well.

I would bet the gassers are mighty pissed :lol: steenking gassers :p well done! hurrah I say Hurrah :D :D

Was thud running sensorless controlers still????????????

Hey all,
Once again thanks for all the comments. Definitely couldn't have done it without all of the info on the ES forums from true EV pioneers - tinkerers that figured out what works and what doesn't and shared their work! The depth of knowledge and commitment to ebikes is incredible here.
Now for some stats:
12 laps in the main event, 0.79 mi laps, starting voltage 76.1v (4.23 v/cell), Vmin 66.7, Amax 56.7, maxS 44.3, Ave S. 31, 6.8ah 483wh consumed, 47 wh/mi.
Drive:
1.7:1 8mm pitch, 15mm width primary belt reduction with ENO hidden inside 48T pulley, 6.15:1 219 chain secondary, sprocket on rotor mount of hub, total reduction 10.5:1, Turnigy 130kv 80/100 with external halls at 17.1degree spacing
Controller:
ebikes.ca 40 amp 12 fet infineon, modified resistors for high voltage, and shunt soldered about 15-20% of its length
Batteries:
Secret lithium ion pouch cells 18S2P, 20ah x 66v.
Bike weight unknown, but we guessed 60-65lbs.

It definitely turned out way better than expected, and combined with a 140lb former MTB racer turned out to be fast enough. As I posted after practice, Thud was crazy fast, and probably would have taken the win if his controller held together. LFP had some serious power on board and likely would have been a contender too.
It was really interesting to see where I could gain on the Morini ridden by Alex00 (2nd place) and where he pulled away. The sweet spot of his power band seemed to be around 25-35 mph. I was quicker up to 25 and over 35 I think. I was pedaling like crazy out of the corners, though. Basically pedaling whenever at max throttle and under 30-35mph, tucking the rest of the time.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing this ebike racing thing catching on.. or maybe just becoming slightly less obscure than it is now
PD

Congrat Paul! :mrgreen:

I also think you are a true pioneer and made a part of the history !

Thanks for those detailed performances data from your kit and the C-A.. it really help us to give a real idea on what kind of race it was !

I know Luke had ALOT of power with that sevcon controller and i wonder if he could had reduced the phase current a bit to perserve the motor would have helped !

You had 3500W max and he had probably adjusted max power to get around 10-20kW ?

That make me wonder if he would have set everything to get like 5-6kW max to the 5303 You and him would have beed racing together for the entire race!

Luke what was your controlelr setting?... any data from the C-A?

Yeah.. Just like many wonder now.. We hope that everyone that have put their blood on the raceway will recover as we wish!

Congrats PaulD... and all the ES folks that made it to the track. I'm a bit of fan of history, and yesterday you guyz just made some history of your own! :D

Lock

http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743-32.html
BiMoPed
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member Join Date: Jul 2010
Re: Death Race 4-16-2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only about 36 bikes ended up racing which is a little disappointing

Bairdco got 5th overall, he said 1st was an electric bike with a lot of HP

2nd was Alex the "Blue Fox" on a 9 HP Morini

3rd was Dave31 on his 5.8 HP Morini

Yah... lotta HP. That must have been it...

Lock

Doctorbass said:
Congrat Paul! :mrgreen:

I also think you are a true pioneer and made a part of the history !

Thanks for those detailed performances data from your kit and the C-A.. it really help us to give a real idea on what kind of race it was !

I know Luke had ALOT of power with that sevcon controller and i wonder if he could had reduced the phase current a bit to perserve the motor would have helped !

You had 3500W max and he had probably adjusted max power to get around 10-20kW ?

That make me wonder if he would have set everything to get like 5-6kW max to the 5303 You and him would have beed racing together for the entire race!

Luke what was your controlelr setting?... any data from the C-A?

Yeah.. Just like many wonder now.. We hope that everyone that have put their blood on the raceway will recover as we wish!
Luke needs to force air through those motors or spray water or N20 on the windings... Or something. Just cutting holes in the covers doesnt do much while the motor is spinning.

Back