Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

liveforphysics said:
PaulD won it!

Thuds controller exploded in the parade lap to the starting line.

Amber wrecked and is hurt.

I borrowed a lead acid front tiny frock bike and finished 2nd to last, peddling madly the whole way.

Congrats to PaulD well done mate...Bad luck ThudSTeR
we new it would be a fragile machine least you got to run some laps ;)
No mention of DoGMaN ? i gather he didn't make the main due to his crash and damage?
he must be guttered he's been so looking forward to the event :-(

How badly hurt is ol Amber?

Well done all...main thing is hehe e-bike WON the 2011 Death Race TAKE that gassers :p

KiM

liveforphysics said:
PaulD won it!
Against the 10hp gassers ?
Congrats PaulD! Awesome effort!
I'll have to go back and look through this thread, I didn't think your bike looked that powerful!
How did the gassers take it ? I'm guessing they're going to push for a seperate class next year now ?

Amber wrecked and is hurt.
Damn, how you're ok Amber!
Details ?

I borrowed a lead acid front tiny frock bike and finished 2nd to last, peddling madly the whole way.
Lol, from all the build up and massive rewind custom cock motors to a SLA powered little frock. Talk about hero to zero!
(heh, that can be taken a few ways)

Luke sent these pictures and asked that I post them. Looks like a bunch of dorks with broken ish. :mrgreen:

IMAG1088.jpg
IMAG1090.jpg

-methods

Also have some pics here's the Winners bike-->

Death_Race_2011_Winner_PaulD.jpg

EDiT: Pic of the rear end of Thud bike single motor with two speed box-->

Team_thud_machine_rear_single_motor_2_speed.jpg

EDiT: More Pics...Podium Pics and a Group Photo

Podium&Group_pic.jpg

EDiT: Luke and Amberwolf

Luke-n-Amberwolf.jpg

KiM

Hell yeah!! Congrats to PaulD for bringing ES home a win ;)

Posted late January:

PaulD said:
Hmm... sounds interesting. Anyone know how many laps?
Not much info on rules. Anything preventing me from putting some pedals on a WR250X (or an electric motorcycle for that matter)??

Congratulations PaulD and thanks for the early updates today too! 'hope Amber's not too seriously hurt?

Thanks to all for the very entertaining evening as well.

Pauls bike is sick. He only ran a stock ebike.ca 12fet infinion with a little solder on the shunt. Lipo of course. 48v I think. Single speed.

Hxt motor ran cool. Bike hammered like insanity.

The gas bikes were screaming fast! Yet the RC bike was the winner, due in large part to PaulD's amazing riding skills.

Dogman had a flat in the main! Toasted his 9c. Swore off front hubmotors.

I originally tried to take amberwolfs crazy bike out for the main, as his ankle is busted up. I couldn't ride that thing! It actually pulls pretty hard, but OMG the steering was way too wacky for me.

Hubmotors don't really belong in racing it seemed. RC bikes have plenty of reliability challenges, but the motors are so much better suited towards racing. Just the controller/reduction system makes it tough.

We are heading out for dinner together now. I haven't eaten a bite all day.

I had a hell of a good time! Racing the little lead powered front frocky was still a boatload of fun, and the gas bikes got to taste the x5 power for the first 90% of the heat. I think it was doing 50+ mph, and it jumped off the line as hard as the fastest gas bikes. But I was milking every drop from it, and it wasn't fast enough to be competitive with the top handful of gas bikes.

What an amazing race! Too bad Thud didn't get to compete with even one motor, I think he would have been a contender. Paul's bike is completely homebuilt, the batteries are actually lithium cobalt I believe, and it seemed to be exactly the same speed as the two fast gassers. BUT, his max wattage was only about 3500w. He only used 7ah out of a 20ah pack at 66 volt. It goes to show that crazy power isn't everything, Paul reeally out rode those guys and finally got Alex with three laps to go by braking slightly later for turn one and passing him for the win! Alex ( blue gasser) was not happy, those guys had all sort of questions for Paul about his ride, not that they understood the half of it.
Yes, my chain wadded up my derialluer into my spokes, but then I tried again with those cheesy gasser tensioners and blew the chain with maybe too touchy throttle response? Either way, that little Hacker would not have made that whole race an I was only getting about 30 something mph, so back to the drawing boards for, and probably all of us. The gas guys were really cool, I can't say enough about the event. We all had a blast, and we might of even converted a fee guys to electric. You guys missed out. I took a bunch of photos and will post once I get home.

liveforphysics said:
Pauls bike is sick. He only ran a stock ebike.ca 12fet infinion with a little solder on the shunt. Lipo of course. 48v I think. Single speed. Hxt motor ran cool. Bike hammered like insanity.

:? Hmmm sounds almost exactly what is going into my trike. I was thinking it would be nice and tame :p

Its funny how some times keeping it simple but well sorted pays off in the end.

Keen to see more pics,storys and vids if there are any.

Kurt.

Paul and amber and crew, the streets are shut down to "grill" and its filed with Retards from some festival.

We are at the the "waffle house" next to the HoJo.

Amber- when you make it to the hotel, knock on the door to rm239 (at any hour) and I will buy your room.

How much does PaulD weigh, and also his bike?

I wish I had been able to go! Amberwolf, I'm glad to hear you only hurt your ankle. I know ankles can be a serious injury too, but it also could have been MUCH worse...

PaulD said:
Thanks for all the congrats guys. I'll post some info on the bike soon

We Missed ya at the waffle house lfp.

I was there with Thud and his crewman and Nicobe. Didn't have anyone's phone number!

spinningmagnets said:
How much does PaulD weigh, and also his bike?

I wish I had been able to go! Amberwolf, I'm glad to hear you only hurt your ankle. I know ankles can be a serious injury too, but it also could have been MUCH worse...

PaulD is light, and a pedaling machine. His bike was entirely scratch-built, and its light weight shocked me when I lifted it.

Icewrench said:
Dogman crashes
LFP has another smoke show
Thud has a meltdown
Amberwolfe crashes
All bad stuff
PaulD WINS........ Priceless

I had another smoke show, but still ran and finished the event on an ebike pedaling madly with a giant smile. :)

liveforphysics said:
PaulD is light, and a pedaling machine. His bike was entirely scratch-built, and its light weight shocked me when I lifted it.
It looks like he is only 2 hub motors heavier than the bike :lol:

Great win though, especially running a pretty standard infineon controller. I think you said earlier you were running 18S - so if you were pulling 3500w that's only 50 odd amps. Just goes to show that power isnt everything and skill goes along way!

How far ahead of the next fastest bike were you when you finished ? And what top speed were you geared for ?

The next fastest bike was like a half second behind. They had and epic battle the whole race. It was awesome. From my jogging-speed bike vantage point, it was awesome to watch them blast past me just a foot apart.

Excellent, it must have been great being so close. The adreneline must have been pumping.
The guy that came second, was he the one that's usually the fastest every year ?

Did you end up getting any gopro footage ?

My wife says "congrats to everyone!" ... and I do too!! Still pondering that PaulD pulled it off and won the feature! This epic eBike win is truely priceless. A race that will go down in history!

PaulD for the win! Nice!! Sounds like a great time capped off with a victory. Can't wait to see some vids. I bet PaulD ups the amperage a bit for next year (defending champ and all). Everyone will be gunning for him. You made us armchair racers proud PaulD!

Can anyone give us some specs on the main event length, race winner finish time, elevation changes? I'd like to recreate the scenario here, just to see if I could finish, and how far back.

Awesome!

itchynackers said:
PaulD for the win! Nice!! Sounds like a great time capped off with a victory. Can't wait to see some vids. I bet PaulD ups the amperage a bit for next year (defending champ and all). Everyone will be gunning for him. You made us armchair racers proud PaulD!

Can anyone give us some specs on the main event length, race winner finish time, elevation changes? I'd like to recreate the scenario here, just to see if I could finish, and how far back.

Awesome!

Just another armchair dork here but track specs are posted on the course website:

http://www.p1kartcircuit.com/the-track.html

Looks like 17ft of elevation change.

btw - do we have any lap time(s) yet on PaulD? 'seems that low weight, sensible/reliable build and riding skill was what won the day!

Track pic
musselmanhondacircuit.jpg

Back