Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

To finance another trip to this or like events I will need to start offering some thud products...damn this racing addiction.

Did any of the gassers have any type of transmission, such as a Nexus-3, or anything else?...I suspect there was a LOT of gasser interest in the Thudmaster-2 during the pre-race and heats...

Did any of the gassers have any type of transmission, such as a Nexus-3, or anything else?.
I saw two bicycles with a sickbike parts add on kit. One had a 8 speed shimano nexus and the other a 3 speed shimano.

Another rider mentioned a Nuvinci before the race:

"It was really disappointing I couldn't race though.
I found and exceeded the max a NuVinci Dev Kit hubs 'Traction Fluid' will take. All she did when I hit the RPM 'sweet spot' was break free and slip bad, like holding in the clutch kind of bad, and my racing shift table was set to shift at the very spot every .47 MPH."

http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743-34.html

Breaking the toys before the gig seems to come with the territory.

Speaking of the gasser kits - what do they actually weigh ??
Are they comparable to the weight of a hub and lithium ?
I imagine they'd be heavy, although I guess they are a pretty small engine so probably not excessive...

I passed one of the ones that had the shifter kit. I don't remember seeing a nuvinci and I looked pretty closely for shifter kits....as I too am a fan of gears. :? :? :?

If anybody is curious, the failure on my death race 9 continent motor was shorted windings or possibly just shorted wires in the axle. The race is just a tad too long for much more than 3000 watts through a 9c motor.

The flat tire was caused by an inch long mesquite thorn I picked up somewhere in the neighborhood on a test ride. It had enough length to poke holes in the tube up by the rim where the slime is thin.

Riding it as it slowly deflated, still hitting 40 mph on the straights, the whole inside of the tire was melting, and chunks of rubber sloughed off the tire exposing the cord on the inside. Cool. :twisted:

I bet I hold the death race record for most laps on a flat tire. 8)

Hey Thud, I'm trying to get a handle on their actual speeds including through the curves. What was your practice lap time?

Thanks for the run down ThudSTeR it's a pisser you broke the thing before the main
if it was going like it did at practise Friday night..well... What was it i told you Thud
hrmz, "To win you first must finish" You see now you had nothing to worry about
with those mornins they need a second gear to be competitive hehe and i was
right, it did only take one Turnigy 80-100 130kv motor to win the Death Race :lol:

Let us pray the JH controller is upto the task mate, forget about Luke proof, it needs to be "Thud Proof"
so up AFTER the up and coming 'Thunderdome' race in Detroit? is it? People will forever
refer to it as 'ThudSTaR 8) -DomE' :lol: :mrgreen: :p

Tell us also ThudSTeR, acceleration wise were you peaking out top speed on the main straight and
how long did it take you to reach top speed? just after the start finish line i would have predicted?
with the pull of those rc motors couldn't have been far past it?

As you can prolly imagine Thud, I'm still grinning :mrgreen: the frocks melted and a STOCK! $99 rc plane motor ruled the day Well done PaulD :wink: teehehe

KiM

John,
My time keeper clocked the wheelie lap at 1:17.7 on a realativly clear track.

I timed 4 laps of the main & never found better than 1:21 & change early on.Then I got wraped up in Pauld's race & forgot all about the watch LOL.

AJ, on friday I had my speedometer on the bike...I was getting 49 on the front straight...& 44 on the short straight heading into turn 9...(way too fast LOL) & 49 again heading downhill into turn 12.
on lap 7 I was only getting 44 on the long straight....lousy efficancy witha twin motor set up...but tons of speed & power.

salty9 said:
Are we going to have Luke - Thud "Proof-Off"? Now that would be a show.

Sponsored by Chubb! :lol:

Chubb_Water.jpg

Hyena said:
salty9 said:
Are we going to have Luke - Thud "Proof-Off"? Now that would be a show.

Sponsored by Chubb! :lol:

Chubb_Water.jpg

Thank you, but I have my own fire-extinguisher.

;)
[youtube]fo1thw5z1mI[/youtube]

Dave just pasted a link to the track "photographer" over there - http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743-41.html

Neat to scan through as an observer but participants might wish to purchase full shots. (which is kinda the point, me thinks) Dogman has couple good ones and pretty much everybody got a photo moment with proper photo gear. Thud, AW, PhilD of course, take a bow fellas, take a bow...

How about participants pooling their pics and videos and producing a CD or a downloadable file for sale with proceeds benefiting ES? There is much wider interest here than just the lucky ones that participated.

StudEbiker said:
How about southern Oregon. Then we get the CA guys and the OR/WA guys meeting in the middle. :D

http://www.sokarters.org/facts.asp

That's my backyard too, although I've never been on the track. Maybe I'll go scout it out sometime...
I think I've seen someone on a tidalforce in Ashland, I figure that's probably you StudEbiker? it's probably the only one in town.

Wow that's a nice sharp PERFECT side shot of CB2 he's got on the
http://mikephotos.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Spooky-Tooth-Death-Race/16656697_PprrM8#1255981154_Pp7RkK5 page.

amberwolf said:
Wow that's a nice sharp PERFECT side shot of CB2 he's got on the
http://mikephotos.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Spooky-Tooth-Death-Race/16656697_PprrM8#1255981154_Pp7RkK5 page.

Maybe for your desktop wallpaper AW ;)

CB2_1024.jpg

:wink:

KiM

There is a motorized bicycle race is SoCal on June 18th 2011 at Willow Springs Raceway. It is a first time event for bicycles. It is posted up at Motobicycling.com. Come on, lets get off the couch and get into the saddle for this one! Maybe my secret weapon can make it to this race!

Yeah, that guy in yellow sure is awesome! Imagine how far I leaned it in the laydown. I will have to go and pay the man for a glossy of that one so my wife can hang it in the office at work. Yep, that's my husband, here's the story of his most recent trip to the hospital.

All the 40+ mph bikes were leaning that far btw. Better tires next time.

I think I was leaning at least that far on turn 13 back in October just before my tires touched the dirt and took them out from under me. :lol:

Yeah, I think my wife got that in a pic she snapped. Leaning that far is not so unusual really. Funny how hard it can be to capture on a still pic though. You don't spend all that much time at max angles.

As for the tires ans that race .. would you use the Maxxis hookworm DUAL or SINGLE ply ?

I guess that the dual ply is more tough and the sidewall are stronger and better for the cornering?

Doc

Back