Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

PaulD said:
liveforphysics said:
If I go the driving route, does anyone want to carpool from the SF-Bay area by chance? My Insight can only hold about 2 bikes if we keep the rear hatch open, and myself and a single passenger. If somebody else has a better bike/human carrier vehicle choice, I will gladly pay fuel for the drive.

I am seriously considering trying to make the race. It's a long way from Oregon, so if there is indeed a car pool from the bay area, I would try to get in on that. I also drive an Insight, so I can't offer a better vehicle.
If I fly, the logistics of getting my bike and batteries to Tucson is a bit of a hurdle. Anyone in Tucson want to receive my batteries so I can pick them up there?

This all might be a pipe dream since I have to iron out a bunch of issues with my bike...

Dogman has offered to receive bikes and batts via mail, and transport them to Tucson for the race. If i don't find a carpool option, it's what I will be doing myself.

Sounds like LFP needs to rent a big heavy gas-guzzling van for ya'll to ride in, with a tow setup to hitch the rented Uhaul enclosed trailer so y'all can stick your bikes and stuff in it. :lol:

Or a bus. A nice big tour bus. Just rip out some of the seats near the doors so the bikes'll fit. ;)

I'd love to ride there, taking the long cut through the Gila mts. But only if somebody brought the racing bike to me at the event. It's not built for comfort. 3-400 miles would be a back wrecker. Wife and I discussed making a week off of it but she's just not into bikes as much as I am.

Just a quick reminder if you got a fire extinguisher please bring it with you to have in your pits.

Thanks..... :D

Good idea. I carry one nowdays, since my Subaru caught on fire a few years back.

About 35mph now... Still not quite fast enough to compete with the 45-50mph gassers at the Death Race, but probably still worth trying to make it to Tucson. My infineon controller cuts out at 37mph (6000rpm), can't figure out why... It feels like it could make it to 40-45 power wise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnhSu30wm4

You will leave plenty of more stock gas bikes behind with that. 35 mph is still pretty dang fast when those corners come at ya. you'll not be coming in last and getting lapped a lot with 35 mph. The heat races are still very fun and very exiting, with lots of slower guys out there to be beaten.

So what's the word on the gassers, are the faster Morini's still being outlawed? It would be a shame to only have the slower gassers competing.

Do you guys think they will let me run a battery pack in a backpack for the heat races?

Getting closer to ready...

Big thanks to Arlo1 for the tip on 16" motorcycle tires fitting 20" BMX rims. Pirelli Diablo in the back, bridgestone S11 in the front. Should be a pretty sticky bike.

I've still got many many hours to go on the motor wind, then it's time to start assembling the bike and finding a mount for the battery/controller etc.

tirebmx.jpg

tirebmx2.jpg

Oh, my god. Its a frock motor. Can't wait to see you diving into corners on those tires! Sweet!

I don't see why a backpack battery would be a problem Etard. It's run what you brung. The only issue is how it affects handling if the battery is heavy.

I asked about anybody being in the 50 mph club today. I think some gas riders are going to be in it this time. I never heard Dave say morini's were definitely banned, just that his was still broken.

Anyway, just try to keep up with Alex, on his "slow" non Morini bike. If you can follow him close, he'll show you the fast line. After his black flag last fall, he's gonna be fierce! Personally, I'm counting on it being my turn for good luck this time.

I'll have 50 easy in less than 200'
(if she'll hold together :mrgreen:)
heading to the shop...a little early for the unvailing..... :twisted:

any side betting on the races outcome yet?....ellectrics for the win? who will be 1st ellectric? I am too close to make any rational analisys....but I am bringing a champions heart to the line in an old man's body.......be afraid, nothing to lose here :mrgreen:

(soft trash talk to get it rolling) & if Luke beats me straight up with a hub motor, I will let him kick the spokes out of my rear wheel so I can relace it with one.....(not that I want to run 100+voltage on my bikes)

If I was a betting man, I think my money would currently be on you Luke. Great job, looking forward to the rest of the build. Definitely take videos. I want to see how ebikes dominate the IC crowd this year.

Thud said:
I'll have 50 easy in less than 200'
(if she'll hold together :mrgreen:)
heading to the shop...a little early for the unvailing..... :twisted:

any side betting on the races outcome yet?....ellectrics for the win? who will be 1st ellectric? I am too close to make any rational analisys....but I am bringing a champions heart to the line in an old man's body.......be afraid, nothing to lose here :mrgreen:

(soft trash talk to get it rolling) & if Luke beats me straight up with a hub motor, I will let him kick the spokes out of my rear wheel so I can relace it with one.....(not that I want to run 100+voltage on my bikes)

450amp Sevcon Gen4 controller.... It's going to make that custom re-wound motor run or puff smoke, but either way, I think she will hold her own off the line just fine old man. ;) ;) :p

I'm focusing on tire advantages and holding more speed into corners as my main advantage. The frocky just needs to not turn into smoke and ash and the rest should be OK. :)

I sure hope you guys are planning for some video for us who can't be out there with you!

liveforphysics said:
450amp Sevcon Gen4 controller.... It's going to make that custom re-wound motor run or puff smoke, but either way, I think she will hold her own off the line just fine old man. ;) ;) :p

I'm focusing on tire advantages and holding more speed into corners as my main advantage. The frocky just needs to not turn into smoke and ash and the rest should be OK. :)

Dude, that is ridiculous! What voltage are your running? I would think a 450A controller would be your main advantage :wink: I might be scrambling to add power to my bike based on what others are bringing... I know I have plenty of energy on board.

Thud said:

Team Thud for the easy win if the bike holds together :wink: ...twin Turnigys on a two speed
will be fast off the line and quick top end, i have seen the bike they are on its
beast with lots of bling hehe... Good luck to all...

KiM

I'm focusing on tire advantages and holding more speed into corners as my main advantage.
hehe, you have no tire advantage son.....& conering speed is MY HOUSE. :p

in other news one of my controllers is cutting out...i am hours away from reverting back to the castle controllers.....stupid bike controllers anyway. :evil:

I definitely want videos. If I don't see at least one video of a bike doing a wheelie, I will be very disappointed.

LFP - I love that tire and wheel! What size rim is that? I hope you measured the frame for clearance!

Holy crap! This yeard DR will be epic. I plan on video on the head tube of my bike. Hope I don't screw up and have the cam shut off like last fall. I'm thinking of maybe putting another cam on the fence watching corner 13, where some will crash. Have a third cheapie HK cam that somebody could tape to their bike or helmet.

Bets on an E winner? I'll bet right now that I'm screwed since niether LFP or Thud are likely to crash. Furthermore, Alex is not going to crash and having more speed than him doesn't garantee my balls will be the same size as his. Add to that others who ride well, and have new motors this year. Some of those guys can be expected to overcook a corner and at least go dirt riding. One screwed up line through the corner can lose the race for you.

I will bet that LFP and Thud lead the pack into the second corner, even if starting back in the pack in a heat race. They'll be up front in the line at the main.
50 mph in 200 feet! Wow, I hope that bike has damn good brakes! Mine suck, so I have to coast in a lot.

Back