Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

I will be happy to get off the start line with a running ebike. Here's a sneak peek of the Red Racer:
[youtube]fpuTYlel4_0[/youtube]

I will be busy tonite and tomorrow nite wrapping everything up. I still have a whole punch list of things to do so I might only get to ride it up and down the block before loafing it in Will's (SoSauty) car and heading to Tuscan. That is, if it fits in his car :lol: it should have at least 2 speeds and has various cogs that I can interchange for different speeds. I'm running a small 3000 watt 250KV Hacker to a Nuegart reduction through the rear cassette with a freewheel for my pedals. I have 12S lipo with 15AH running to a Castle Creations HV110.

Yes, that is red duct tape. I'm not one to argue with quick and easy. :wink:

See you at the races gentlemen!

Edit: pic added. Will eat your leg too, guard to be made
photo-150.jpg

Busted out the old ladies wallie bike so I can mount the battery in the middle. I think mine is going to be the most ghetto of all. Don't worry I ain't going to look gay, because I got enough green army duct tape to make it look manly in a hurry!
If I can at least smoke a couple of stinkies I'd be happy! If I wasn't having so much time constraints and battery problems I'd be a little more confident, but it's only fun right? Plus, I love my day job.hehehehe.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Don't forget, I beat about 30 gassers last year on my commuter.

Beating half the crowd powered by Ping 2C battery was impressive. Also lets everyone know you don't have to have a hot race rig to get on the track and have some fun. Rode my bike at 37mph today and have to say, not being used to it, that it approached scary. Need practice, practice. . .

Dave (etard) your duct tape matches your frame rather well. Looks as that belt drive could take a hunk out of your thigh though. Don't forget to set your alarm for early Friday.

Look at this forcast for Tucson rain this Sat.
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USAZ0247:1:US
:twisted:

As of an hour ago, my bike frame has drop-outs welded back into it again...

Motor is together.

Controller is switched to a 120v 400amp Kelly rather than the sevcon due to programming drama with the sevcon.

Pack charging system currently can only charge to 4.22v/cell, I need to find a way to jump it up to 4.35v/cell, but all the power supplies are maxed out for voltage... hmm... need a ~4v supply that does 25-30amps...

CNC'd a front brake mount, and made some spacer blocks that double as heat sinks. Front brake issues are now solved.

Hopefully the frame can be assembled into a bike-looking device for the first time tomorrow.

Motor is wound, and terminated, and we worked the scope traces out to setup the halls vs the phase leads.

Tomorrow hopefully I will be able to get it together enough to get some time on the dyno to tune and setup the controller.

Then practice racing all night, and push it hard enough to hopefully find the weak points now rather than during the event. Then pack up the bike and myself in the van with Nicobie and roll out to AZ to put a beating on some gas bikes. :)

If the calculations for aero drag are roughly accurate, this machine should top out around 70-75mph, and if the frame geometry calcs worked out, it should corner like a beast.

:)

Big day tomorrow.

liveforphysics said:
Pack charging system currently can only charge to 4.22v/cell, I need to find a way to jump it up to 4.35v/cell, but all the power supplies are maxed out for voltage... hmm... need a ~4v supply that does 25-30amps...
I have a 5V 200A supply around here somewhere, if you don't mind it weighing as much as the whole bike or more. :lol: I'm sure it can be modified for 4V instead; it's just an old linear type.

CNC'd a front brake mount,
I don't suppose you already have code for something that would adapt a regular cable-type disc caliper to the back bolt-ons of a Manitou Skareb fork?

If the calculations for aero drag are roughly accurate, this machine should top out around 70-75mph, and if the frame geometry calcs worked out, it should corner like a beast.
Just don't kill yourself finding those weak points at top speed, ok? ;)

Sweet! That's going to be a sight, watching that thing smoke rubber leaving the finsh line. Likely to be the last I see of it till you start lapping us guys that have "fast bikes".

Weather is looking good too. No windier than last year which was only breezy. Night event, so no need to bring a canopy to blow away. Should be about 90F at the start of practice laps, so just barely tolerable for wearing leathers.

I really wish I was able to attend this year; last year was a blast even though I didn't ride.
Good luck and have fun to eveyone. Get some pics of the competitors' jaws dropping when the ebikes are smokin 'em!

Yeah, video with that rear facing cam. 8) Doing the last balance charge on my batts now, after one last test of the bike. Dang this is going to be a blast!

I picked up 5 x go-pro cams for the race. 2 of them are HD go-pros. I'm either going to make my bike VERY camera'd up, or let some other folks run them if they like.

The bare frame is all welded up and sitting bare in my office right now. :) It's half-pink and beautiful. :)

Good lord, 5 gopro's. My main, front tire cam is a casio pocket digital. Shoots low level HD. Rear cam is the cheap turnigy I filmed last fall with. Never quite know if those are filming in the right mode or not.

See ya there! Hojo's friday night for us.

liveforphysics said:
...The bare frame is all welded up and sitting bare in my office right now. :) It's half-pink and beautiful. :)

Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Hope you get it running in time. All night ebike building is something I love. Wish I was there to lend a hand.

dogman said:
Good lord, 5 gopro's.

All of them borrowed from work. :)

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:
...The bare frame is all welded up and sitting bare in my office right now. :) It's half-pink and beautiful. :)

Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Hope you get it running in time. All night ebike building is something I love. Wish I was there to lend a hand.

I wish you were too my friend! I worked till 3-4am everyday for the last 2 weeks, and getting up at 8am for work gets to feeling pretty crappy when you're badly under-slept and very sick.

Speaking of sick, I went to the doctor, he said I had "walking pnumonia" and a sinus infection. Gave me some prednsisone steroids and antibiotics, and WOW! That has really helped perk up my work. :) I should have got those sooner rather than being ill for 3 weeks. More importantly, I need to find a long-term source for the prednisone, I feel delightfully froggy, even while sick on these pills. :)

liveforphysics said:
The bare frame is all welded up and sitting bare in my office right now. :) It's half-pink and beautiful. :)
If you need more parts for it, I have a little pink Princess bike here I'm about to cut some bits off of for my new one. :) I might still have the cute little saddle for it, too.

I was thinking you went out and bought 5 go pro's. That would be a bit pricy. Not the only one working at the last minuite, quite a few saying similar stuff on motorbicycling forum.

Looks like I'll see you guys there... my secret weapon went up in smoke on Monday, but the back up plan (only 3kw and pedaling like hell) is in place. I think I've got something that will make it a few laps after dealing with bent jackshaft axles, puffed cells, blown fets, etc. Gotta try to make the last two weeks of sleep deprivation worth something!
Looking forward to meeting some ES members. What time are people showing up at the track?

Here you go, LFP, the Princess frame is yours if you want it for pieces. :lol:

If I fed it up from underneath, I could stick the whole frame inside my new bike's battery/motor space. :)

Bike has wheels now.

Completely forgot about chainline. Do'h!

Shaping up to be an awesome event guys, can't wait to see the vids! Wish I could make it!

I sent you pics Kim of the bike and the bike dynoing.

Ok, bad news, but so cool we got it on video that it made everyone happy.

Picture a ring of flaming cocks.

liveforphysics said:
I sent you pics Kim of the bike and the bike dynoing.

Cheers for the pics Luke she's alot like Thuds bike in the frame design
definitely need them extensions ;) Would you like me to resize them and post them or you want
to get some better shots outside on race day...if you make it -->

liveforphysics said:
Ok, bad news, but so cool we got it on video that it made everyone happy.

Picture a ring of flaming cocks.

Look on the bright side buddy, this time
it wasn't a 3 mile walk of shame home :mrgreen: :p :lol:

Be slotting in one of Methys beast motors now i presume?

KiM

Back