Urban Tribe Cargo Bicycles

The steered-box type of trike does work for a fair number of situations, but it can present problems for people that have to ride in traffic outside small neighborhoods (especially on poorly maintained roads), depending on the area, because of maneuverability.

Have you considered building the long low delta types, like my SB Cruiser and the new trike I'm building for my brother? (and like Ddk's trikes)

They're simple designs, easy to build, easy to ride. Could be made better (some of which would make them more complicated).

As I noted above, they handle well, and (especially with their sunshade canopy) they are also high enough they can be seen in traffic (unlike a number of lower stable trikes). They don't need to be ridden "fast" but at least they can be (20MPH is all the SBC is tested to; it's fast enough for most of the streets I have to ride on).

They could be built a lot lighter if built out of good steel instead of the recycled junk I use, but the weight (down low) helps to keep them on the ground in corners at faster speeds (since I ride in traffic, the quicker I can get out of the way of people not turning with me, the safer I am).

The ones I build are compromises that aren't specifically designed around being pedalled, but they are perfectly capable of that, too. I just don't much because of joint problems (and the heat here). Instead, they are designed around carrying the cargo (or dogs), primarily, and handling well enough at up to 20MPH (the limit here) to be able to avoid potholes, debris, pedestrians stepping off the sidewalk in the middle of the street, cars suddenly pulling out of driveways or changing lanes with no signal, etc. So they don't use a bicycle saddle, but they could easily be built with one instead of the bench seat or powerchair seat presently in use on them.

The new one should be better than the old one (bigger wheels, better ride, lower deck, better stability with narrower track).

Some pics, if interested:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=525#p1310509
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80951&start=25#p1328327
file.php

file.php

Your bike is amazing, and I'm sure the dogs love it too!

Honestly, looks like a ton of fun to ride.

As much as I would totally ride something like this myself, I just don't see the mass market appeal in a low-sitting bike like that.

If I ever look at getting a design like this, it's not going to be for quite a while.

I'll leave it to the more niche brands/makers to get this done.

And I'm not disagreeing with you on the trikes. I've been a trike rider for a while, and I'm familiar with the issues/problems.

Hehe... Hang on Arron...

"looks like a ton of fun to ride"... "don't see the mass market appeal in a low-sitting bike"...

Seems... "inconsistent" perhaps?

I stumbled across bettery-electric assist near 20 years ago. My life sorta "fell apart" about three years ago (lost my ability to balance on two wheels), so went trike. The first a "sit up", then/currently a "recumbent" trike. Hugely entertaining to be riding around at "kid height"... near the height of dogs, etc. (we don't mention at "butt height" in mixed company...). It turns travels into entertainment?

To the extent that trikes and recumbents appeal to the "older"... (more "affluent"?) ... and it was the "olders" that "bought into" the "more expensive" electric bicycles at first... I might not be so quick to dispel the recumbent? Think "big, comfy seat with back rest". ;)

One thing to add to the "low-sitting bike" is just a pole in back flying a flag/banners for visibility (I have both flying/flapping around). :)

L

I don't want to come off as disparaging, because I'm glad to see someone trying to get non-bike users biking, and *especially* to get them cargo-biking, because that's got the real potential to completely replace a car. :)

(it does for me, but in the heat here, and with the way people drive, it's hard to convice others to try it as a way of life)

I'm just always looking to improve what I see around me, and help others where it looks like I might have info they could use. :)

I suppose the thing that I see is that, especially with your target customer with no experience riding anything, getting a trike that's not maneuverable, but not having the experience to know to stay away from situations where that could cause them problems (or worse), seems like a bad idea. If they're coached when they buy it, to be sure they understand it's limitations, I guess it's not as big a deal.

Also, it's takes more muscle power to turn a box-steer trike, especially once it's loaded heavily. Harder to control with wiggly cargo in it (kids, dogs, etc).

I looked at a lot of trike designs already in use around the world before I ended up with what I've got; built one version that was way too short and tippy and scrapped it to make the second one. I'd've gone with a front-box design using kingpin steering if I could've built it. Now, I've found a design that doesn't require the complications of that, and like yours could be built by anybody with a welder and some spare bike parts and metal tubing, and a bit of woodworking skills. (yours is likely a lot better quality than what I do, but the idea is there ;) )

UrbanTribeCargoBicycles said:
As much as I would totally ride something like this myself, I just don't see the mass market appeal in a low-sitting bike like that.
Strange considering the number of people that ask me where to get one, or where I got mine. (At least once a week).

And that cars typically seat about the same height. (which is part of why I picked that height).

Cruiser bikes are about the same seat height; they're pretty popular.

So I don't think the height is a factor in appeal (but it *is* a factor in a non-leaning trike's stability in turns).

FWIW, the bike version (slightly lower seating) is almost as visible in traffic as the trike; here's a streetview pic I found:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5815784,-112.1221558,3a,75y,92.38h,98.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saki8ghw-VnDjrkshpLUv5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
file.php

Haven't found a streetview of the trike yet.

I reckon that the target market for this thing is breeders. Once you put somebody's precious darling in the box, they'll ride sedately. And that's what bakfiets trikes are good at.

It's single guys who'll kill themselves if given a motor assisted box trike. Favor drivers, for instance. Good thing Favor doesn't pay enough for them to buy one.

Back