Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

eVroomer said:
larsb said:
1) Can you see the serial adapter functioning ok in device manager on the computer?
2) Sometimes the rx tx wires also need to be crossed for communication to function but i don’t know when myself without some googleing :wink:

Which adapter do you have?

This is the adapter that I got: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dXFeqIN

1) Yes, I can see it listed properly in the Device Manager, and I have installed the latest driver from the siaecosys.com website
2) Did that also, switched the wires around, makes no difference! In a serial connection Tx and Rx need to be matched to Rx and Tx respectively, otherwise it doesn't work! Either way... switched them, didn't work!

At the start of this thread you were discussing that Reverse needs to be engaged for it to connect... or something like this... is there any merit to that? Also, I assume the controller needs to be powered up while attempting to connect? Is there any particular order in which this needs to happen - power on the controller, then plug in the USB in the computer, or plug in the USB and open the port first, then power the controller?

On you controller battery B+ connect to Pin 9

Attachments

• EM100.jpg
    EM100.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,905
larsb said:
Usually i have the serial cable connected, power the controller, open program, Select correct com-port, press ”create file” button and then connect. I’ve never had any issues.

I’d buy a cable from QS as a last resort, you never know if the chip is good if it’s not bought from prolific or trusted source.

Do you possibly have a CAN controller? You could also try to tick CAN box in program or try from a different computer.

Right... and you leave the baudrate at 9600... if at all changeable? I have the PL2303TA cable... but I see there is also a PL2303 cable, with a black housing... any chance that might have something to do with it?

I have been thinking whether I might have the CAN controller... but not sure how to verify that! What module do I have to buy if it is the CAN one? I did try from another laptop with full size USBs, so I don't have to go through the OTG cable on the small one, but same results!

yingyong said:
eVroomer said:
larsb said:
1) Can you see the serial adapter functioning ok in device manager on the computer?
2) Sometimes the rx tx wires also need to be crossed for communication to function but i don’t know when myself without some googleing :wink:

Which adapter do you have?

This is the adapter that I got: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dXFeqIN

1) Yes, I can see it listed properly in the Device Manager, and I have installed the latest driver from the siaecosys.com website
2) Did that also, switched the wires around, makes no difference! In a serial connection Tx and Rx need to be matched to Rx and Tx respectively, otherwise it doesn't work! Either way... switched them, didn't work!

At the start of this thread you were discussing that Reverse needs to be engaged for it to connect... or something like this... is there any merit to that? Also, I assume the controller needs to be powered up while attempting to connect? Is there any particular order in which this needs to happen - power on the controller, then plug in the USB in the computer, or plug in the USB and open the port first, then power the controller?

On you controller battery B+ connect to Pin 9

OK... according to the wiring diagram of the controler that the E-lock... but it says 40v from B+... or does it just need to see more than 40v, not exactly 40v?

E-lock is connected to b+, full battery voltage. If your controller spins motor then this is not the issue.

As far as i know, the only thing you need to do if it’s a CAN controller is to tick the CAN box setting in the program.

And yes, the serial adapter could be the issue.

larsb said:
E-lock is connected to b+, full battery voltage. If your controller spins motor then this is not the issue.

As far as i know, the only thing you need to do if it’s a CAN controller is to tick the CAN box setting in the program.

And yes, the serial adapter could be the issue.

Yes, it is running... I have close to 2000kms on it!

Don't I need another type of communication module if using the CAN interface? I did try that, both baud rate speeds, and with, and without CAN, doesn't want to connect... so I really am stumped!

From here, there are a few options - either the company that assembled this has made something, so it can't be accessed and reprogrammed, for warranty purposes; or I need another type of programmer when using CAN; or this serial adapter is not exactly working! Any idea if this would work with an FTDI adapter? I have a few of those, confirmed to be working, and could try them out!

larsb said:
Serial communication is really not my area of expertise - the others will have to support you further.

ОK, got it connected using a plain and simple FTDI module!!! So I guess the issue was the damed PL2303 module... bloody hell!

IMG_20200426_145350633.jpg

IMG_20200426_145404275.jpg

Now, on to reading the manual, to try and figure out how to increase the regeneration, this giving me more stoping force that way, before having to use the brakes!

Thanks everybody for the input on this, really appreciate it! :)

I have a friend with a motorcycle with this controller Votos EM-100 and in the morning when he turned it on the speed does not change from 4th and don’t run more than 25km/h.
I have tried to make the USB cable and I cannot find how to connect the wire to the USB cable (4 wires: where you connected them, positive in one corner and negative in the other) and I cannot find where to download the software.
Can someone help me?????????......

KikiTampa said:
I have a friend with a motorcycle with this controller Votos EM-100 and in the morning when he turned it on the speed does not change from 4th and don’t run more than 25km/h.
I have tried to make the USB cable and I cannot find how to connect the wire to the USB cable (4 wires: where you connected them, positive in one corner and negative in the other) and I cannot find where to download the software.
Can someone help me?????????......

What kind of USB cable you make? prolific pl2303 good for Votol controller and only RX, TX and ground is need).
Download software here http://www.siaecosys.com/list/?classid=102
All information you need ,can see on page #1.

speed does not change from 4th

what do you mean by this? If it worked before then it won't be a programming issue. The most likely cause is a wiring issue somewhere, i'd guess three speed switch is not functioning based on the little information you provided.

eVroomer said:
larsb said:
Serial communication is really not my area of expertise - the others will have to support you further.

ОK, got it connected using a plain and simple FTDI module!!! So I guess the issue was the damed PL2303 module... bloody hell!

Now, on to reading the manual, to try and figure out how to increase the regeneration, this giving me more stoping force that way, before having to use the brakes!

So in the end I suppose this means you have the non-CAN version of the controller? I received (what I believe is) the CAN version (stamped “EM-150 SP”, and has “CAN” labeled elsewhere) but QS did not ship me a USB adapter :( I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need and how to acquire it. I have some pictures of the CAN adapter my friend received. Hopefully I get a response from QS about this too... my controller is in park mode just like others’, though I have gotten it to spin momentarily using the “key repair switch”

https://imgur.com/a/VFjdT85

Finally hit the track with the Votol / qs combo.

It was working very well. So much fun.

https://youtu.be/B4VQ5DQ9LHo

SilverLine said:
Looks awesome!!

Currently on the fence myself between an EM150, Sabvoton 72150 and Kelly 7245H for my Super Soco TS with a QS 273 v3 4KW hubmotor and QS just recommened me EM150 hence I'm checking this thread :). Will search what kind of screens are available for this EM150 since I would like to have a new screen as well.

EDIT: No bluetooth support I see, that's a pity since it makes setting up the bike a lot more time consuming...
Regarding screens I can't seems to find anything, will do some more digging.

nardcox said:
SilverLine said:
Looks awesome!!

Currently on the fence myself between an EM150, Sabvoton 72150 and Kelly 7245H for my Super Soco TS with a QS 273 v3 4KW hubmotor and QS just recommened me EM150 hence I'm checking this thread :). Will search what kind of screens are available for this EM150 since I would like to have a new screen as well.

EDIT: No bluetooth support I see, that's a pity since it makes setting up the bike a lot more time consuming...
Regarding screens I can't seems to find anything, will do some more digging.

They do make a display for the controller. I am using using a cheap random display from Aliexpres. You can se a video about it on my YouTube

mathbrook said:
eVroomer said:
larsb said:

So in the end I suppose this means you have the non-CAN version of the controller? I received (what I believe is) the CAN version (stamped “EM-150 SP”, and has “CAN” labeled elsewhere) but QS did not ship me a USB adapter :( I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need and how to acquire it. I have some pictures of the CAN adapter my friend received. Hopefully I get a response from QS about this too... my controller is in park mode just like others’, though I have gotten it to spin momentarily using the “key repair switch”

https://imgur.com/a/VFjdT85

Yes, mine is the non-CAN! Sadly I am not certain what adapter is needed for CAN... so can't recommend, but I am certain somebody would chime in with the necessary information!

SilverLine said:

That is awesome!!!! Quick enough and SOOOOOOOO silent! Brilliant!

Hello Everyone.
I am really happy to reach this community!

I bought a Votol Em-150S controller with can bus and a QS3000 Motor and i am waiting for DKD display.

I want to build an electric scooter.

I received a diagram from Carrie where the battery should have also CAN H and CAN L connection.
Do you have already installed battery like this?

View attachment SiAECOSYS Power Train Wiring EM30-150 XY-03-P+ DKD display + Z6 throttle V1.7.pdf

I asked also with Carrie about the wiring of the controller but she gave me a diagram with different connection than mine (grey/white in his diagram don't exist - for mine, i saw from other diagrams that should be Reverse - R)
(in his diagram brown connector is P gear - in mine, it is called a key to repair)
Someone can suggest me how to connect its?
For a key to repair i saw in previous page that someone can't connect it, others saw that it works for speed limit (15km/h), others use to reset park mode :confused:
Anyone that understoods its working?

I supposed a general connection, i hope it that be good and useful.
connector.jpg

larsb said:
Connection from CAN to battery in diagram is for bms with CAN option. Most BMS doesn’t have CAN - don’t connect battery voltage to CAN as it will explode.

I haven't already bought battery, so i Will Need to bought a battery with BMS included?
How the controller know the amount of charge in the battery?
Someone have some suggestion about a good battery specification?

Every battery needs a BMS but you won’t need it to use controller, BMS with CAN is an option that makes it possible to show bms status on display. Don’t know which BMS that could be paired with this system.

But this question is not for asking in this Votol controller thread, it fits in a new build thread.

SilentEnduro said:
Hi all, a little important update regarding Votol EM-150s (first gen)
Now it goes better :) https://youtu.be/Wjo0IalwELQ
Many thanks to Bartosh, without him this wouldn't be possible :bigthumb:

Do not try this if you don't have spare controller, battery and bike

For now following mods have been made in my Votol:
FW compensation set to 100
Permanently soldered "sport mode"
Throttle changed back from Magura to "Passion Ebike"
T.C.1 - 10, T.C.2 - 13000, T.C.3 - 14000
Hardware shunt-mod ±30A

Rest, regular config:
BA - 140
PA - 9960
Sport A - 140
Soft-start disabled

If you read this and don't understand at least one parameter, please do NOT change anything in controllers config, you will make a brick or it will burn!

nice video!,
any reason to solder the sport mode? or just keep it simple since its the only mode you use?
for your busbar current you found 140 to be best?
for the qs 138 motor is your shift angle -60? I believe mine came from factory at -120

SilentEnduro said:
Hi all, NEW Votol EM-150/2 arrived

https://youtu.be/hgleE1k8000

Stay tuned :wink:
Are you like a tester or is it out to the public?

I've just ordered an EM150 and asked if I would get the /2 version or not.
Also ordered a display for $25.
U8R8_VmDUNtU_9vCmZd3drrFFRV6F6eX3bDMthbHivkzFh_52soY577vm09EgaC9kYyyKod6PJJ4dseSl-fJs9HJJ1K3J0R7ZsDV7iq1x1B5ZJm0vkwi0Pz3ediC_bf66CoAUcps6DkExLgG1McCiDFEn3YqKEL9gw6wp6WcKzJWRcg3mqEXsNSLmMZEwFKJ4CaiQkp6IsoT5vukPiNNEAHvvk-1QUGD1rijT6GwMU0MK-ZoFPmOiW74ViEQON8yIBxe0mIfv4Jh0QQTQiUrirHvhtdf3szK1Bv228Yz14UHav8gnCwSSTT8mNxXz6pIRJ5NeQXo7VVvxh-wZVVfMyzuirCD0eN9z-c83vuA-uxg1ETpd6MK_DjS8SuZ_qsSovzlIivSZnOZGpoFwbOXbUXu6BYkoIxmTjuJrJVRNl_mbFW6Yd3i0VIDvBPD7gSIASCj3sPrum4o4svXxmVQtiDHGUH6xI8sMCa5lGf4LhFpPLbpMuKggT8jT9SIqqf5OIaJSmE6b5Tu9zystrlXXO2NxfSS7ee_AIS54eA7P04OirHdoBuhHc-6h_7EAFUKSebUjJpxjgcAtqKYsrp0CxC6p9DuYa6IavPIY2bXLJUoahsPQZngYKeKCpX0aLCLOHzVpi-R1S5QKIxx3cmhrqnHXpcTtI769eClNmEe-8-xxV6obbpCtZ819zJnUEE=w800-h440-no

rexfordk83 said:
nice video!,
any reason to solder the sport mode? or just keep it simple since its the only mode you use?
for your busbar current you found 140 to be best?
for the qs 138 motor is your shift angle -60? I believe mine came from factory at -120

soldered sport mode just to keep it simple, no button needed
140 BA since i have shunt-mod (+30A)
regarding angle, there might be different depending on motor version.

nardcox said:
Are you like a tester or is it out to the public?
150/2 is still under development and testing, not sure if it's possible to order one.
Agreed with QS that I accept all risks, no warranty etc. =)

SilentEnduro said:
150/2 is still under development and testing, not sure if it's possible to order one.
Agreed with QS that I accept all risks, no warranty etc. =)
It's not.

I've requested the 'CAN' version of this controller since I've been reading several posts about this in this topic. Now I'm not a 100% clear what the CAN version does vs the non CAN version but the response I got from QS is:
"There is no CAN for this EM-150, we programmed the controller already. We will ship one program cable to you for free, you can program the controller if you plan to do it."

Am I missing something and is this perfectly fine or am I'm being misinformed?

EDIT: The EM150SP does have a CAN version, not sure if the EM150 doesn't.

Back