Wiiceiver vs. GT2B Faceoff

stuxtruth

1 W
Hey guys. I recently purchase a few e-board parts from a fellow member and included in the deal was a wireless wii-nunchuck. I've done a little bit of research and found the following info:

Wiiceiver:
- Awesome feel in the hand and a great looking device
- $12 for nunchuck and $40 for wiiciever
- Plug and play and DIY options available
- I have heard that they cause jerkiness while riding (has this been fixed with the update)
- Rumors of connection issues with wii nunchuck
- Not sure on availability and shipping

GT2B:
- RELIABILITY
- Cheap: $27 on HobbyKing and comes with receiver
- Bulky and worried about it looking like a gun riding around on campus
- I have access to a 3d printer for BadWolf design but 3d printing produces "homemade" look vs. a polished design of the nunchuck
- Tried and true device with a smooth throttle curve

So what do you think guys? Should I spend $40 and get the wiiceiver or spend $30 and get the GT2B and do the Badwolf enclosure? Ideally I would like the nunchuck to work out just because it is a nice looking/feels good in the hand remote and I can tell my friends I control my skateboard with a Nintendo controller!

You got to try this one too.. It beats the GT2B in my eyes. Simply because of the awesome small form factor. I'm so glad I got rid of the GT2B and didn't have to 3D print an enclosure. Uses (2) AA batteries and a 2.4ghz RC Receiver. Has lasted for about a month without changing batteries.
http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/

I have looked at that one and honestly completely forgot about it. Seems like its the best of both worlds!

I've been using a modified wiiceiver with a 2.4 Ghz wii nunchuck so far have at least 80 miles on it without any lost of signal, I think this is the best solution given the features on the new wiiceiver code, by the way in located in NYC with a lot of cellphone tower around.

This is the link to the mini wiiceiver
http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=278&zenid=njrvot88nkga1h84i6j9g2ivm7

The hardware is base on the work of Austin David, and the interesting fact is that the 2.4ghz wii nunchuck works perfectly with this hardware configuration.

I just bought another nunchuck :roll:

Another option is the vesc and its inboard receiver that goes with the nunchuck. No need to buy a wii ceiver and seems, from all I've been able to find today, that it keeps a reliable connection if the toggle is opened and soldered to the vesc. The connection between the toggle and esc could be suffering from vibrations which it's not intended for.

Maybe get the vesc and enjoy the silence. That's what I just bought two of. You're motor is still bad ass in my books though and with the vesc u could get it up to 10s or 12s with the lower kv of hub motors.

Olinboards will hardwire it for u too.

torqueboards said:
Kaly, thanks for the share. Are you referring to the China version 2.4ghz option? Do you have a link to where you purchased it.

Yes
The nunchuck I'm referring are the Chinese one.
Got them from eBay

torqueboards said:
You got to try this one too.. It beats the GT2B in my eyes. Simply because of the awesome small form factor. I'm so glad I got rid of the GT2B and didn't have to 3D print an enclosure. Uses (2) AA batteries and a 2.4ghz RC Receiver. Has lasted for about a month without changing batteries.
http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/
That's cool!
I can't wait to find a replacement for my big ugly gt2b.
Transmitter needs to be compact and polished so it doesn't look like a DIY project (think'n about cops)
...take the steering wheel off and cover it with a Torqueboards sticker?
I might buy that.

Wroxsti said:
torqueboards said:
That's cool!
I can't wait to find a replacement for my big ugly gt2b.
Transmitter needs to be compact and polished so it doesn't look like a DIY project (think'n about cops)
...take the steering wheel off and cover it with a Torqueboards sticker?
I might buy that.

Go for it...Ive done about 80 miles or so using Torques Mini Transmitter and receiver with no problems at all....it works fine and feels great in the hand!

i only did a short test ride with wiiciever and i love it. just sometimes the cruise controll is a little messed up.

makithepaki said:
i only did a short test ride with wiiciever and i love it. just sometimes the cruise controll is a little messed up.

I really want to try the wiiceiver....all the drop out and connection issues have put me off though!

I will say that i personally have used the wiiceiver from the guy who sells them and I have issues with connection. Its very scary and unsafe especially when your going fast or going downhill. As for that I purchased the gt2b for reliability.

Yea I purchased the GT2B. I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to print the badwolf enclosure at school.

Back