• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Wireless Wii Nunchuck *TESTERS WANTED

austindavid said:
1.0 is about 2s to full blast. 1.1 is configured differently, about 10 secs.

1.0 and 1.1 are both tunable for your preferences -- get an Uno and start tweaking!

Thanks for clarifying, I'm definitely going to pickup an Uno today. As always, thanks again for your help.

austindavid said:
1.0 is about 2s to full blast. 1.1 is configured differently, about 10 secs.

1.0 and 1.1 are both tunable for your preferences -- get an Uno and start tweaking!

Piece of cake to get setup and updated, thanks for the documentation on this. I agree, the acceleration is MUCH smoother on 1.1. I'll keep riding and let you know how it goes.

ehock said:
Piece of cake to get setup and updated, thanks for the documentation on this. I agree, the acceleration is MUCH smoother on 1.1. I'll keep riding and let you know how it goes.

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to sort it out easily. Let me know if you have any suggestions; I've got some cleanup to do and I'll let you know when a minor update is available.

Afternoon Gents,

Any chance you could ship (post?) two of these to Auckland, New Zealand for me?
Already ordered 2 Niko's . . . :D

Looks like excellent work,

Majyk

Majyk4 said:
Afternoon Gents,

Any chance you could ship (post?) two of these to Auckland, New Zealand for me?
Already ordered 2 Niko's . . . :D

Looks like excellent work,

Majyk

I'm sure torque would be happy to ship them, literally, to the ends of the earth. Do you have a preferred method of shipping? Apparently the ones we've been using are taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r to cross an ocean :(

PSA: use your ferrite rings!

http://www.rchelination.com/ferrite-rings-on-escs-what-do-they-do-and-how-can-you-use-them/

torqueboards managed to find two misbehaving units, but they were awesome on my board. We did some testing and I finally got him a ring, now the formerly-bad unit is perfect for him.

We're gonna throw in a ring with each order, as soon as I can source them.

I found that same link too! Most UBEC/BEC's usually come with a ferrite ring as well.

Amazing what a great difference it makes so for anyone who has previously bought one I would suggest taking it from an old BEC and/or buying some on eBay. They're real cheap and worth it's weight in gold.

austindavid said:
Apparently the ones we've been using are taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r to cross an ocean :(

Actually cheap is better for me than quick . . .

Shipping to New Zealand seems to be a grey zone - some items USPS arrive in 4 - 7 days for $7, or they take a month, A similar item Fedex costs $40 and still takes 7 days?? RS components ships for free from the UK in 3 days . . .

Amazon sellers won't ship Nyko nunchucks to NZ GRRR.... Got some from ebay instead for $10 US ea . . . Glad our dollars strong, I'm going to do some shopping.

Just ordered motors etc from HobbyKing (and bought a foamy while I was there) so theres a couple of weeks waiting anyway . . .

Better start a build thread before this goes OT

Majyk4 said:
austindavid said:
Apparently the ones we've been using are taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r to cross an ocean :(

Actually cheap is better for me than quick . . .

Shipping to New Zealand seems to be a grey zone - some items USPS arrive in 4 - 7 days for $7, or they take a month, A similar item Fedex costs $40 and still takes 7 days?? RS components ships for free from the UK in 3 days . . .

Amazon sellers won't ship Nyko nunchucks to NZ GRRR.... Got some from ebay instead for $10 US ea . . . Glad our dollars strong, I'm going to do some shopping.

Just ordered motors etc from HobbyKing (and bought a foamy while I was there) so theres a couple of weeks waiting anyway . . .

Better start a build thread before this goes OT

Unfortunately, cheap isn't the issue as much as I'd like them to be cheap. If they don't get to you that's part of our problem. I have just shipped another wiiceiver being the second time around. This ends up costing us double product cost as well as double shipping cost. We barely make anything on these it's more of giving back to the community and helping others who can't get a wireless wii nunchuck working on their own while also not re-inventing the wheel each time around. Also getting rid of those pesky huge RC controllers.

Although, with all that said. It's not that expensive. Shipping costs are $14 bucks international. :mrgreen: $6 United States.

austindavid said:
I'm pretty sure we'll break even on this batch of 70, but it's not over yet.

Ha ha welcome to my world! :mrgreen: I make prototypes for a living . . . Single units of everything
I know anything between 10 and 100 (1000) units is a pain in the ass . . . and real economies of scale start at 10k :evil:

And cheap I meant postage not your markup!

PM received, thanks Torque

Majyk4 said:
And cheap I meant postage not your markup!

Haha.. I know. Cheap postage = not received = resend = no mark up :mrgreen: = $no money.. we paid for it and then some from our pockets.

Hopefully, these new ones have no issues. I literally put it in a big box vs a shipping envelope. Can't lose this package now.. at least that's what I hope..

For those who like livin' on the edge, I just tested an update to HEAD which is more gentle about the "resume" function in cruise control. Resuming cruise still works within 5s, but now the "resume" function acts more like throttle (comes in more slowly), rather than a 100% instant return. I'll try to get a few miles on it today, but so far I think it's good. torqueboards: I'll flash yours for our next ride.

I was also asked off-thread about a "failsafe" mode which applies brakes. Thoughts?
Current behavior: fasilsafe mode you get an acoustic (as opposed to electric) skateboard

A dead man switch works. Z - I don't use often if at all. A semi-brake that is real gradual and doesn't throw you off which will slow down to a complete stop and/or can foot brake from 5-10mph to 0. Rather than trying to stop at 20-30mph.

Hi, im new and currently im building my e-longboard with alien ESC and sensored motors.

I read all the post and it can be hard to understant some parts if you are new.

Can you resume all i will need step by step and how it will be conected to the ESC?

The update proces how it works? i have to conect de wiireciber to PC or what? i saw something about "uno" but i dont know what is that.

I saw that the wiiremote use AAA bateries, i saw another wirremotes like this one: http://www.digitopz.com/wii-rechargeable-24ghz-wireless-nunchuck-controller-p-144.html that don't need AA or AAA bateris and its rechargeable. It will work?

Thanks for all and sorry if i'm missunderstand something.

torqueboards i want one, im from spain i saw that international cost are 10 USD? then all are 50 USD?

Thanks for all!

@DR1ZzT. The wiiceiver works similar to a standard RC ESC. You simply plug in your ESC wire into the Wiiceiver and the Wireless Wii Nyko Kama has a "receiver" end that you plug into the Wiiceiver.

You then simply just turn on your setup/board and your controller and it should sync up. Pretty simple.

It will work with thisone?

http://www.digitopz.com/wii-rechargeable-24ghz-wireless-nunchuck-controller-p-144.html

Dr1zZt said:
It will work with thisone?

http://www.digitopz.com/wii-rechargeable-24ghz-wireless-nunchuck-controller-p-144.html

Probably. I ordered two, but they cancelled the order "out of stock." It should work with any nunchuck, and I haven't heard of any which don't work.

i found the same in aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/freeshipping-Rechargeable-2-4GHz-Wireless-Nunchuck-Controller-for-Wii-for-wii-wireless-nunchuk-nunchuck/800500_359860863.html

If you are sure that it will work i think thease is better thant the other one.

Torqueboards i want one. :p

austindavid said:
For those who like livin' on the edge, I just tested an update to HEAD which is more gentle about the "resume" function in cruise control. Resuming cruise still works within 5s, but now the "resume" function acts more like throttle (comes in more slowly), rather than a 100% instant return. I'll try to get a few miles on it today, but so far I think it's good. torqueboards: I'll flash yours for our next ride.

I was also asked off-thread about a "failsafe" mode which applies brakes. Thoughts?
Current behavior: fasilsafe mode you get an acoustic (as opposed to electric) skateboard

Is this change an adjustment to 1.1? If so, let me know when you have it available in git..I'd love to try it. I really like like the idea of the 'gentle' resume to the cruise speed. 1.1 has been working great on my end so far.

Also, I'm personally not that interested in a failsafe mode. I would hate to have interference or a disconnected controller throw a signal which applies brakes without me being ready for it. Not sure how you're going to set it up though...

ehock said:
austindavid said:

Is this change an adjustment to 1.1? If so, let me know when you have it available in git..I'd love to try it. I really like like the idea of the 'gentle' resume to the cruise speed. 1.1 has been working great on my end so far.

Also, I'm personally not that interested in a failsafe mode. I would hate to have interference or a disconnected controller throw a signal which applies brakes without me being ready for it. Not sure how you're going to set it up though...

Yep, it's in git. Fetch the latest and give it a whirl. I've got over 10 miles on it and it's working well.

Hi I'm from canada and will be building an electric paramotor setup. I'm very interested in using this for the speed controller as I have to hold onto the paraglider brakes while in flight and feel this might just work awesome for this purpose. Can I get one shipped to canada?

Thanks,
Darryl

Dzubot said:
Hi I'm from canada and will be building an electric paramotor setup. I'm very interested in using this for the speed controller as I have to hold onto the paraglider brakes while in flight and feel this might just work awesome for this purpose. Can I get one shipped to canada?

Hi Darryl-

For a para, what is your control? Are you mostly setting a throttle and leaving it open (no constant contact with the thumb stick) ? The wiiceiver (specifically, the nunchuck part) is optimized for a skateboard -- very small and wireless. You may not have the same constraints. Would a wired setup with a plunger throttle be more appropriate? How does one usually control a paraglider?

We're certainly happy to send you a wiiceiver, but you might consider using a straight Uno (or other Arduino) with a controller. Wiiceiver has a bunch of software to manage throttle which you may not need.

austindavid said:
ehock said:
austindavid said:

Yep, it's in git. Fetch the latest and give it a whirl. I've got over 10 miles on it and it's working well.

I've been running 1.1 beta since last week and things have been going pretty well. I had noticed a few odd braking issues, but I think I will try a ferrite ring as suggested. Pretty stoked though, did my first commute to work today (~7.2 miles). Fun stuff.

Just a heads up, I'm not sure if you mentioned this before but the board I received (7/13 build) is labeled backwards for the SV1 uno connections. #1 - 5V (at the end of the board) is labeled 6, and #6 Ground (middle of board) is labeled 1.

Regardless, your instructions online (austindavid.com/wiiceiver) are really easy to follow so I didn't have any issues though...just giving you a heads up!

Thanks again, austindavid...it's working great.

Back