4500+ Miles US Ebike Tour - August 2014

I thought in one of your videos you showed that you sprayed the inside of the air breathing charger with waterproofing spray or something similar? That didn't help in the rain? Or maybe I'm mistaking...

mlt34 said:
I thought in one of your videos you showed that you sprayed the inside of the air breathing charger with waterproofing spray or something similar? That didn't help in the rain? Or maybe I'm mistaking...

That is conformal coating. It's not exactly waterproofing per-se. It certainly will make it more reliable in damp environments. I wouldn't run it, if it was raining directly on the unit, that's for sure. The modifications I made for waterproofing and vibration resistance definitely made a huge difference. I highly doubt it would have survived that abuse otherwise.

Troy - your comments about the meanwells are solid gold. Looks to me like the meanwells simply did their job and didn't care one bit about the water, vibration or any of the abuse they saw on the road!

So if you had it to do over again, you would do these?
http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-well-hlg-600-power-supply.html

That looks to me to be a nice product for charging, say, 98 volts/2000 Wh where you have the battery able to split into two 48v sections.
Then if you have access to 1200 watts, you use both. If you don't, you use one and parallel the packs. Only disadvantage is that those 600 watt supplies are heavy buggers - right at twice the weight of the 340 watt supplies....

I am absolutely ready to go away from the cheap air-breather chargers. I'm feeling exactly the way you were talking about in your meanwell thread, tired of the cheap stuff. I'm still using a pair of them because they stay indoors and are convenient, but I want to switch to onboard LED supplies that I don't have to monkey with the battery to get a good, fast charge.

More videos and my bike is back together! Put about 10-12 hours painting and swapping out the frame.

[youtube]q0Kd-KPjBjM[/youtube]
[youtube]vP45bsz4JpY[/youtube]
[youtube]P5YSqkeEycE[/youtube]

is the music change symbolic of your morale at this point in the trip? Also, you have mastered the 'walk and talk' :wink:

mlt34 said:
is the music change symbolic of your morale at this point in the trip? Also, you have mastered the 'walk and talk' :wink:

I am what my mom calls a "pacer" I cannot stand still when I think and or talk :D, my apologies.

The music change is mainly because I have internet, and I have access to other songs... and people have complained about being bored, but yes, I feel that it fits the mood as well :D

Haha it's all good. The pacing adds a sense of realism.

I thought the change in music made a good shift (but maybe I was the only one that liked the original :) )

Seems like the way out was characterized by your unbridled and youthful enthusiam while the way back was more like "G-d why did I do this..." :wink:

grindz145 said:
More videos and my bike is back together! Put about 10-12 hours painting and swapping out the frame.

Can't wait to see a pic of the new frame and lightened bike.
Surely there are other improvements you are making based on what you learned on the Big Ride?
We want the dish man, the scoopus maximus!

http://instagram.com/p/ssP-WUNk2S/

Here is a pic of it this afternoon on lunch break. The frame is heavily gusseted in the front triangle, way stronger, and a little lighter. I'm not super happy with this geometry. A ground-up frame design will be in order at some point, but this was more just to get me back on the road again. I have to swap my Bottom Bracket out in order to get my big 52 tooth sprocket back on there too. The little 36 tooth sprocket just won't do.

mlt34 said:
Seems like the way out was characterized by your unbridled and youthful enthusiam while the way back was more like "G-d why did I do this..." :wink:

Hah, that might be true. Although the way out was really not much easier, even though the videos may not tell that story.

grindz145 said:
http://instagram.com/p/ssP-WUNk2S/

Here is a pic of it this afternoon on lunch break. The frame is heavily gusseted in the front triangle, way stronger, and a little lighter. I'm not super happy with this geometry. A ground-up frame design will be in order at some point, but this was more just to get me back on the road again. I have to swap my Bottom Bracket out in order to get my big 52 tooth sprocket back on there too. The little 36 tooth sprocket just won't do.

+1 on the 52t, I wouldn't ride without one.

It looks a lot "cleaner" than before. I can see the gusset spanning the down tube and top tube. It looks longer, like you've got more space between the front wheel/forks and the crankset.

You talk about a ground-up frame design: are you talking about a full-custom frame or something like a Surly Big Dummy?

JKB

Have you considered custom triangle bags that might fit your frame triangle(s) better? I'm planning a cruiser frame w/ about 2kwh in the triangle and it's looking like its time for me to do by first custom bag. My sewing skills are decent (hey, tools are tools) but I'm not above asking my mom for help :lol:

mlt34 said:
Have you considered custom triangle bags that might fit your frame triangle(s) better? I'm planning a cruiser frame w/ about 2kwh in the triangle and it's looking like its time for me to do by first custom bag. My sewing skills are decent (hey, tools are tools) but I'm not above asking my mom for help :lol:

Meh, they're all kludges as it is. I'm pretty happy with these little bags for what they are. Each one was 10 bucks on Nashbar back in the day.

Controllers should be jammed in a bag like that anyway, It's just that some things haven't been updated from REV 1.0 :D

[youtube]COkjwlOrq5g[/youtube]
[youtube]425WiTsTpAE[/youtube]
[youtube]9nMC2sMCn68[/youtube]

A few more videos for your domes.

Wow, just discovered your thread and vlog! Nice work your doing here, love your videos :)

ugn said:
Wow, just discovered your thread and vlog! Nice work your doing here, love your videos :)

Thanks! positive comments keep me running!

Hey Troy,

After watching all your videos I now find myself humming the music you used as background for the first 10 vids or so.

I now literally associate going for a ebike ride with that music!

Anyway, I have a couple of questions, apologies if they have been asked before I haven't found the answers on scan around.

You seem to have a custom cycle analyst box with buttons on the side or this a commercial unit?

Also, do you have a charging/wiring diagram of your setup, you were able to tell what charge was going into your battery with your CA, which I can only presume is done by charging by regen?

How this is achieved I have no idea, but is very cool and I'd like to know.

Cheers,
Kudos

kudos said:
You seem to have a custom cycle analyst box with buttons on the side or this a commercial unit?

Also, do you have a charging/wiring diagram of your setup, you were able to tell what charge was going into your battery with your CA, which I can only presume is done by charging by regen?

How this is achieved I have no idea, but is very cool and I'd like to know.

Cheers,
Kudos

Haha, awesome. Let's call my cycle analyst the OG Hipster edition. It's not custom, it's just old :D. These were the original enclosures that were sold back in the day. I've just been at the rap game a long time now :wink:

As far as the cycle analyst charging is concerned, I don't have a diagram, but let me explain how I did it.

Basically, all you need to do is run the current from your charger through the shunt resistor in your controller. The Cycle Analyst will read this as current going back into the battery (it will assume that it is regen) but this is a great help to know how much capacity is replenished. In order to do this you basically just need a high current tap in the cycle analyst on the high side of the shunt resistor (from memory). This will connect to the charger -.

Actually if you check my "ultimate charging" thread link, I think there is more info, and maybe even a diagram now that I think about it...

yes, you would put the negative lead of the charger on the CA shunt lead where it goes to the P- on the controller. then the red positive wire from the charger goes directly to B+. the charging leads only have to be able to handle the charging current and do not have to be huge wires. so if you have 10A charging then 16AWG is adequate.

dnmun said:
yes, you would put the negative lead of the charger on the CA shunt lead where it goes to the P- on the controller. then the red positive wire from the charger goes directly to B+. the charging leads only have to be able to handle the charging current and do not have to be huge wires. so if you have 10A charging then 16AWG is adequate.

Yeah by high current I just meant not the cycle analyst wires. Although, for a low enough current charger...

Back