4500+ Miles US Ebike Tour - August 2014

Don't you guys mean the shunt in the CONTROLLER? Everyone keeps saying shunt in the Cycle Analyst, but it's in the controller, right?
And: Is it possible to leave the charger/power supply connected while you run the bike or does that screw up the shunt? (seems like it would mess up the shunt...)

A cool solution would be to add a connector and switch to the aluminum case of the controller, then you could leave the charger connected and just work the switch to charge?

Maybe even just add only the connector, then exchange the main switch for the controller to a three-position switch that would be "charge - off - run"....

I was also thinking he made a mistake and meant controller instead of CA, but then I thought maybe he is referring to a CA with an external shunt? not sure now…

Troy, sorry to send this thread in yet another direction, but I was just wondering what you used for GPS recording on your trip? Cycle Analogger with GPS, or a standalone unit? Or your phone?

Keep Going Troy!

All your video are really great to watch. I also like that misic.. i'm playing your vids when i work in my lab for ambient 8)
Couples hundreds km to do, let's go Troy ! we all know you will do that record!

Doc

jkbrigman said:
Don't you guys mean the shunt in the CONTROLLER? Everyone keeps saying shunt in the Cycle Analyst, but it's in the controller, right?
And: Is it possible to leave the charger/power supply connected while you run the bike or does that screw up the shunt? (seems like it would mess up the shunt...)

A cool solution would be to add a connector and switch to the aluminum case of the controller, then you could leave the charger connected and just work the switch to charge?

Maybe even just add only the connector, then exchange the main switch for the controller to a three-position switch that would be "charge - off - run"....

Ahh, Sorry for the confusion. The shunt is absolutely in the controller. I leave the chargers connected while I ride, that when when I stop, I can just quickly plug in one connector into the outlet and start charging immediately. it might not be a bad idea to have a throttle disconnect, or maybe brake lever switch, since I don't have either of these, if somebody happens across my bike while it's charging and happens to twist the throttle, it will take off...and they will end up with a gouge out of their shin... :mrgreen:

mlt34 said:
Troy, sorry to send this thread in yet another direction, but I was just wondering what you used for GPS recording on your trip? Cycle Analogger with GPS, or a standalone unit? Or your phone?

No problem. I used an android device with GPS recording app for the official GPS track I also backed that up with my actual phone. Unfortunately I don't have a cycle-analogger... yet :D

Justin from ebikes.ca offered to send me the new version with the GPS analogger! I'm so psyched. I regret not having this for the trip, because this would have been great data to share.

I will however share my daily rundown of wh, mileage, elevation, and GPS track. That will at least be some pretty decent data. I'm still getting all of that together! soon!

Doctorbass said:
Keep Going Troy!

All your video are really great to watch. I also like that misic.. i'm playing your vids when i work in my lab for ambient 8)

Doc

Très Bon Doc!

I'm very glad that the videos are entertaining for someone with your level of experience! There is like over 2 hours of videos at this point! I just realized that. It's like way too long :D I am a bit of a music nerd, so I enjoy carefully selecting the tunes for the video edits

Maybe I'll turn it into a proper documentary at some point.

I enjoyed seeing your pictures from the mt washington energy summit with Ben Rich too! Is there a thread for this at all anywhere? I would love to read more! Wish I could have made it!

grindz145 said:
mlt34 said:

No problem. I used an android device with GPS recording app for the official GPS track I also backed that up with my actual phone. Unfortunately I don't have a cycle-analogger... yet :D

Justin from ebikes.ca offered to send me the new version with the GPS analogger! I'm so psyched. I regret not having this for the trip, because this would have been great data to share.

I will however share my daily rundown of wh, mileage, elevation, and GPS track. That will at least be some pretty decent data. I'm still getting all of that together! soon!

New version meaning CA, or there's a new version of the GPS analogger? The GPS analogger is expensive, but I'm considering it for my upcoming mini XC (inspired by you) because it'd be super convenient. As is always the case with ebikes.ca, you get what you pay for. If you want quality, you go to Justin!

Also, assuming you meant new version of the CA, I think you've earned it :lol:
my first ebike had that version of the CA, but that was a loooooooong time ago...

grindz145 said:
Doctorbass said:
Keep Going Troy!

Doc

Très Bon Doc!

I'm very glad that the videos are entertaining for someone with your level of experience! There is like over 2 hours of videos at this point! I just realized that. It's like way too long :D I am a bit of a music nerd, so I enjoy carefully selecting the tunes for the video edits

Maybe I'll turn it into a proper documentary at some point.

I enjoyed seeing your pictures from the mt washington energy summit with Ben Rich too! Is there a thread for this at all anywhere? I would love to read more! Wish I could have made it!

That idea about the documentary sounds like a good way to go. Now... lets say a bunch of us planning long ebike trips within the next year share all our videos and put a doc together. I know there are a bunch of us planning trips like yours. I was hoping to pull a short 1,000 mile round trip from NW PA down to Raligeh Duram NC area, but I'm not going to be ready to go before the weather is too cold.

Going to try to be ready for Spring for that trip, then late Spring early Summer try for doing East coast to West coast then back to Pittsburgh. A LOT of things have to go right between now and then for that to happen, but I'm pretty determined. You are a big inspiration. Check all the time to see the newest video.

If the Documentary idea using a bunch of peoples footage sounds interesting I'd be glad to kick it around. Made my living for a while shooting commercials and editing as well. The footage you got is great and no film crew was required. I have questions about how bad the issues were with keeping cameras charged, and memory cards ready to go. Also have questions on charging times. I have to look in your charging thread again to see what info I can find there. I'm going to have to increase my capacity for the trip next year. 40 Ah of 12s right now and I'm going to need to increase voltage and capacity. I don't have a longtail so I'm going to have to be a bit inventive if I do it on this frame. But it is possible I think. Looking forward to the future vid updates.

Btw guys make sure you click like on his vids. He should have way more views and likes with how amazing this trip was.

[youtube]NepPwnKBf-8[/youtube]

This is a good one, I get stung by a bee, have to solder using a lighter, and my wife surprises me out of nowhere.

mlt34 said:
grindz145 said:
mlt34 said:

New version meaning CA, or there's a new version of the GPS analogger? The GPS analogger is expensive, but I'm considering it for my upcoming mini XC (inspired by you) because it'd be super convenient. As is always the case with ebikes.ca, you get what you pay for. If you want quality, you go to Justin!

Also, assuming you meant new version of the CA, I think you've earned it :lol:
my first ebike had that version of the CA, but that was a loooooooong time ago...

Yeah, new version of the CA. I'm not using it for my main bike though. I kind of believe that thing should stand the test of time, and I don't like to obsolete things for the hell of it. That's partially why I did this trip on a bike that already had 8k on it, and now has 13. The up-front price of an e-bike should pay dividends for a long time, and a beautiful simple machine can :D

rborger73 said:
Going to try to be ready for Spring for that trip, then late Spring early Summer try for doing East coast to West coast then back to Pittsburgh. A LOT of things have to go right between now and then for that to happen, but I'm pretty determined. You are a big inspiration. Check all the time to see the newest video.

If the Documentary idea using a bunch of peoples footage sounds interesting I'd be glad to kick it around. Made my living for a while shooting commercials and editing as well. The footage you got is great and no film crew was required. I have questions about how bad the issues were with keeping cameras charged, and memory cards ready to go. Also have questions on charging times. I have to look in your charging thread again to see what info I can find there. I'm going to have to increase my capacity for the trip next year. 40 Ah of 12s right now and I'm going to need to increase voltage and capacity. I don't have a longtail so I'm going to have to be a bit inventive if I do it on this frame. But it is possible I think. Looking forward to the future vid updates.

Btw guys make sure you click like on his vids. He should have way more views and likes with how amazing this trip was.

Awesome! I want to see more people ebike touring. It makes so much sense.

High power charging is key. A big battery is nice, but that only helps you in the beginning of the day if you don't have a charger to support it. There are a bunch of strategies here, but if you want to do more than say 20mph, charging is going to be a key element.

grindz145 said:
rborger73 said:

High power charging is key. A big battery is nice, but that only helps you in the beginning of the day if you don't have a charger to support it. There are a bunch of strategies here, but if you want to do more than say 20mph, charging is going to be a key element.

My current Thunder 1220 puts about 6.5A in. (doubtful it will be going on the trip too much weight and too slow) I saw one vid where your CA showed around 6A going in, but figured you must be pushing a lot more than that. My problem if I do the big huge trip is I'm going to have to be doing at least 150 to 200 miles a day to make it feasible financially to be back in the amount of time I'll have to so I don't go broke. ;) Halfway done moving my 20Ah on my rear carrier down near the rear wheel. I can comfortably do 40 miles here in PA with our pretty steep hills with 40Ah I have. That gets me nowhere near empty, down to around 3.8v per cell. For my daily commute I try not to run the cells lower than that. Everything stays nicely in balance if I do under 30 miles per charge. Which normally I do about 19 miles each way to work and back. I charge at work and it takes roughly 110 to 115 minutes to be back to full charge again. If I have to I can put another 20Ah on the rear carrier, but then that won't leave much room for my gear I'll need.

I'll probably want to pick your brain a little between now and then. My bike on my commute does around 23 to 25mph rolling average. I'll be running higher than 12s when I do the big trip.. yes.. lots to figure out yet.. Back out to the garage now to try and get the new sheet metal I just bent all secure for my commute in the AM.

grindz145 said:
Yeah, new version of the CA. I'm not using it for my main bike though. I kind of believe that thing should stand the test of time, and I don't like to obsolete things for the hell of it. That's partially why I did this trip on a bike that already had 8k on it, and now has 13. The up-front price of an e-bike should pay dividends for a long time, and a beautiful simple machine can :D

I totally hear that. I'm still rocking my iphone4 I got on launch day in 2010 :)

Totally agree here. I'm planning my own long range journeys after being inspired by you. This winter I want to do at least a 1,000 mile trip as a learning experience and within that I'm going to try to do a 300 mile day to show it is possible, though obviously not sustainable to do that everyday. Then in the more distance future I want to do a Florida to California and back to Florida trip. For both trips I'm planning a 6x10 wind @ 72V with two 20AH batteries each with a 900 watt charger.

mlt34 said:
This winter I want to do at least a 1,000 mile trip as a learning experience and within that I'm going to try to do a 300 mile day to show it is possible

A 300 mile day is possible, but only if you ride all night long through the darkness, or if you can device a 5kw charger or something, and use a J1772 port :D

My longest day was 220 miles, and that required quite a bit of riding in the dark. I don't doubt that a 300 mile day is possible though.

Yea I want to do a 24 hour marathon run. My wife hasn't given me the green light for my planned 6000 mile trip so I figured in the meantime I can try to set/break an unofficial record of most miles in a day. My plan is to basically ride-charge-ride-charge for 24 hours straight and then crash through the door of a motel into bed :D

mlt34 said:
Yea I want to do a 24 hour marathon run. My wife hasn't given me the green light for my planned 6000 mile trip so I figured in the meantime I can try to set/break an unofficial record of most miles in a day. My plan is to basically ride-charge-ride-charge for 24 hours straight and then crash through the door of a motel into bed :D

That sounds awesome :mrgreen: I love it. Stay safe! Doing the math, I could do about 370 miles in 24 hours if everything was perfectly optimized. of course it never really is, and nothing can go wrong. But it is possible, even using 15a outlets to charge.

My plan is a 6x10 9c with two 72V 20AH NCM packs and two 900w chargers. If I can keep it to 30 wh/mi and 25 mph, I can theoretically get 396 miles in 24 hours. Obviously nothings perfect, and that 396 mile number is based on me running out of juice right as I roll up to an outlet with the plug ready in hand, but I think 300 miles should be doable in a real world scenario, as long as I can take the mental challenge of it. :)

you should do it in the middle of summer when day length is longest to reduce the risk to just insanely risky.

even with flashing leds on your bike they will still run over you.

people start drinking by 2-3 in the afternoon and drive until 2AM. your best time to ride is from 3-4AM until about 10PM imo.

you need good mirrors and a sixth sense to dive outa their way.

dnmun said:
you should do it in the middle of summer when day length is longest to reduce the risk to just insanely risky.

people start drinking by 2-3 in the afternoon and drive until 2AM. your best time to ride is from 3-4AM until about 10PM imo.

I don't know that I am quite that pessimistic... If you can stick to the farm-country you might be better off safety wise.There are less cars and people are generally more aware of the other vehicles on the road. However, the rural parts of the world will by definition have less places to charge :D

grindz145 said:
dnmun said:

I don't know that I am quite that pessimistic... If you can stick to the farm-country you might be better off safety wise.There are less cars and people are generally more aware of the other vehicles on the road. However, the rural parts of the world will by definition have less places to charge :D

Yes it isn't quite that bad out there for me most of the time. Had someone pull out this morning and I yelled what dafaq are you doing?? I had room to get clear of them, but for the most part other than people inability to pass without either waiting way too long, waiting too long then passing in the worst place, or going so far into the other lane their mirrors were hitting weeds, in 5,115 miles now on this bike I've not had any situation during the day or night that I thought I was going to get hit yet. Not saying it can't and doesn't happen, I just don't think it's quite that risky as Dnmun let's on. I ride at night all the time too. :)

Troy,

Congrats on the World record. Will there be a final video, pulling into the home driveway and a final mileage count?

Bike_on

Bike_on said:
Troy,

Congrats on the World record. Will there be a final video, pulling into the home driveway and a final mileage count?

Bike_on

You bet :wink: In fact it's the next video to be uploaded. Ive just been a little bit busy, and I have to meet up with some folks for the new station that want to run a piece on the trip.

I'll have another video afterwards too about all of the events after the trip :D

grindz145 said:
Though I daresay people more likely to let you use the places that they do have.... ;)

Back