50mph fly-by

Deutch420

100 W
Nothing too exciting. Just wanted to post up a couple 50mph pass's. It doesnt look like im doing 50mph, but it doesnt look like the cars are doing 60mph either. Strange. I gotta say these GoPros struggle to show speed.
Still havent been able to find a fix for my 5403's stripped axle threads, so im still using the 5304. 18 fet lyen @ 250/100amps.

[youtube]hHo4yevdAhI[/youtube]

No kidding.

The fallacious belief that a 50mph e-motorcycle is a bicycle is largely responsible for dumb behavior like that, I think.

I get irked at pedal cyclists who ride on the wrong side, too.

Chalo

OMG Chalo you are right that was the scariest video I have ever seen! :roll: We should all stay home and hide under the couch cushions

Deutch420 its hard to make a video showing speed. Ive made many i have never posted because even though I was ripping it looks slow from video. PS if you have no body around to run into then its not dangerous. Don't worry about what the Nancy's say. They can go cry to their mommies!

Arlo1 said:
PS if you have no body around to run into then its not dangerous. Don't worry about what the Nancy's say. They can go cry to their mommies!

At that speed and going the wrong way, how can he know there's nobody about to run into him?

Say homeboy is cooking along the wrong way at 50mph, and a car driver pulls out in front of him from the driveway in the foreground of the video. Captain Wrongway can't see past the bushes until it's way too late, and the driver is looking the other way because he wants to make a right turn, and all the traffic of interest is to his left. So the e-biker T-bones the car at speed, is thrown out into oncoming traffic, and is seriously injured or killed.

Either less speed or riding on the correct side could prevent a collision in that case.

There are times to safely ride a bike at high speeds. I used to hit 55mph on a normal bicycle on the way to work every day. There was a steep half mile downhill run with no cross traffic or driveways on the right, and a freeway style divided exit at the bottom. So I could let it rip in relative safety. The only screwy thing about that was drivers still felt obligated to pass me at a higher speed.

Chalo

Seriously, I thought that car was going to pull right in front of you in the first scene, after you passed the camera. Mad sketchy looking. No one is looking at the shoulder of the road for a 50mph bike.

The reason it looks slow is because of the angle. If you move the camera away from the road more and closer to a 90 degree angle it may help. But either way, I've found all non professional video cameras make objects look slow. I had video onboard of doing 56mph down a hill and it's nothing like in real life.

You guys are speculating the what if's.
OK so maybe he knew there was no cars coming and going from the driveways?? And heading the wrong way on the shoulder of the road is only dangerous if he is close to the cars and cant control his bike.
But #1 At the end of the day if he messed up and got hurt or dead he will either learn from it or remove him self from the gene pool. The best way for man kind to evolve is survival of the fittest not people shoving rules and laws down others thoughts.
I know you think you need to be captain safety Chalo but sometimes you just need to let people do their own thing because there is more to life then worrying about dieing!

Kinetic buttholes put more than just themselves at risk of harm. We all have to share the road and the planet. Your jollies are not equal in importance to someone else's life and health.

Chalo said:
Kinetic buttholes put more than just themselves at risk of harm. We all have to share the road and the planet. Your jollies are not equal in importance to someone else's life and health.
Everyday is a risk dude weather you are the speedy person or the person just minding your own buisness. If you are week and not fit you will not survive! I hope the government protects you nice a safe.

Arlo1 said:
Chalo said:
Everyday is a risk dude weather you are the speedy person or the person just minding your own buisness. If you are week and not fit you will not survive! I hope the government protects you nice a safe.

Aye-- the philosophy of the polluter, thief, and serial killer too.

I'm too old to believe my actions don't affect others anymore. Other people matter.

Sorry IM wrong your right he almost killed off the entire planet from his reckless bicycle ride and yes its a bicycle. Until he travels at speeds never seen on a bicycle then its classified as a bicycle if it has peddles and 2 wheels!

I never said I was putting others at risk or harm and neither did he ALL YOU KNOW IS WHAT YOU SPECULATE!

Hillarious. Riding on the shoulder at 50mph is downright stupid, even at the correct direction. The drivers MAY see you but they never expect you to approach as fast as if you rode centered in the lane. I've reached this speed on either pedal, gas or electric bikes, so I know what I'm talking about. Even if there was no risk for this particular rider, and as cool as most may perceive this vid, it never harms to insert a small disclaimer.

Before I even read these posts.. I was going to make a comment about the poor riding decisions you've made.

Just ride it on the road in lane and no one would be bitching.

I seriously though you where going to t-bone the car pulling out at the start.

Lol @ all these replies.
I have over 4000 miles ridden at 10kw.
Go post your concerns in a thread where the OP cares.
QQ

Have you been in a car, ready to pull out from a driveway onto a road, and had a near silent motorbike that looks like a slow bicycle pass while on the shoulder at 50mph? Have you also had a motorbike go the wrong way up the shoulder towards you at 50mph while driving in the lane (110mph closing speed)? I'm just curious. It sounds like you have, and you were comfortable with it. I'm not arguing with you.

Green Machine said:
It takes a lot to get the endless-sphere guys off on a safety rant.

This is a rare occurrence.

There have been some unbelievably dangerous videos posted here, without a single safety lecture.

There's been a few safety rants, especially when it's not an ES member who is being dangerous. Most of the time when an ES member is being dangerous, it is a fun video to watch so we accept it and don't say too much because we like to watch more of the members videos. It also helps if it's a member who has a big reputation here.

Had that car pulled out and he hit it, it would have dented in that cars door or fender badly, possibly breaking the window or cracking the windshield, and his body would land a good distance past the car, with a range of potential injuries from death to barely scratched/bruised depending on luck and his his crashing skills.

The person in the car would be inconveniencing themselves with the hassles of automotive repair, and whatever other harms involved parties would feel the need to bestow (tickets etc).

I see drastically more danger everytime I ride my pedal bike, particularly up hills at a snails pace, and experience a parade of car/truck/suv drivers passing by me a few feet to my left, no telling which one is too busy texting to look up and see me before driving over my snails-pace speed body plodding along in the lane.

Chalo = Safe? You know the member who was trying to make a 1kw limit for the ebike racing! ?? Im getting so frustrated with the safety shit. I'm ready to remove all my posts! ES is about building and designing and pushing the limits its not about ragging on each other to be safer! Seriously If you want to be safe go away and sit by a tree and eat some granola!

If everyone would make the video full size, you would clearly see that I was left with more than enough time to brake (if I had to). so much so, that I was able to raise my right hand and wave hello at my neighbor as he pulled out of his driveway, onto the the HIGHWAY. Being that all my neighbors (all 3 of them for 5 miles) LOVE the bike and know that they are pulling onto a highway, they always look both ways with caution. I hope we all do?... Keep in mind this is a 60mph highway. Also, i live in horse country and its common to see atvs, dirt bikes, horses, even tractors riding on the shoulder; as to avoid the 60mph traffic, with the occasional speeder doing 70mph.
Maybe going against traffic isn't the smartest thing, HOWEVER when you can see oncoming traffic for over a miles distance, and can clearly see no one is coming, where is the danger??
I'm not suggesting my riding style is for everyone. Certainly not for most areas. But you guys need to know more about certain scenarios before you whine about safety. I wonder how much crying you guys would do if you knew what my job required me to do in cars. :roll:

All I have to say is that it definitely looked like 50mph to me.

Back