AHOY! NEXT UPHILL BICYCLE RACE in the Global Series!

LockH said:
Per Wicked-pee:
The Muur van Geraardsbergen (English: Wall of Geraardsbergen/Grammont, French: Mur de Grammont) is a steep narrow road with cobblestones in Geraardsbergen, Belgium. It is also known as Kapelmuur, Muur-Kapelmuur or simply Muur. The hill starts near the river Dender at 18m and reaches the top of the Oudenberg at 110 m after 1,075m at 9.3 per cent. This climb is often part of the Tour of Flanders professional cycling race.

And:
The Muur was announced as the centerpiece of the final stage of the Eneco Tour for 2012, 2013, 2014. Geraardsbergen and possibly the Muur will be in a stage for the next five years.

Please note: Any ebikers from North America might hope others ignore any beer/wine, etc. stains all over their BUMPs "Leader's Jersey". Also, please, no drinks in hand during the "competition".

EDIT: Found a vid on the 2006 race:

I watched the video and thought "That's quite like Patrick Street in Cork" (which I have climbed) - and then the cobbles started! :shock:

Oh oh... So, Patrick Street? in Cork? An ebiker might spill their drink??? Not good.

EDIT: I know! I might let some air out of the tires? Handle those cobble stones, no problem. (Now, if I could just stop that hiccupping... but I blame the Irish in me.)

BTW... In the mad dash for world bike domination, one race just sorta "popped up" in another thread. So North American, "Asian", etc ebikers might stop off for yummy food, and also maybe try this uphill bicycle race:

It is the race up/through the Stelvio Pass (starts in Italy, maybe ends in Switzerland). I'm not sure, but this year the race starts on SATURDAY May 31st (at 6.30 PM?)

Runners in Toronto seem to have road racing sorta "down pat"... some of it uphill I expect:
http://www.canadarunningseries.com/springrunoff/csroDET.htm#partysite

Runners.jpg

Toronto Canada Tough Mudder
August 17, 2014

Here:
http://www.mudrunguide.com/event/sunday-toronto-canada-tough-mudder-2014/

So... watt to add to an ebiker uphill road race? Hmmmm... Usually this is about now some others say "Oh oh...".)

Hehe... Any ebikers may have to ask themselves "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"
[youtube]KHvRx8Wdobk[/youtube]

Mr Bean, right?

50 "Most Difficult" (Hill) Climbs in the Works, seen here:
http://www.climbbybike.com/most_difficult_climbs.asp

In the USA, in fifth ranking, "Mauna Kea - Kona - Spencer Park" (not "continental", plus only with a calc 4.5% average grade up.)

Also "in the US", at 17th, "Mauna Loa - Hilo" at ave. grade 4.6%.

At 22th place, in the continental US, "Wildrose (Rogers Peak) - Junction Panamint Valley Rd." in CA! Average grade: 8.1 %

All the above from Cyclebybike.com site, here:
http://www.climbbybike.com/index.asp

From that site:
Climbbybike.com origines from the Belgian fietsfanaat.be and is powered by you, cycling fans worldwide, our users/visitors. We encourage every biker to submit stories or pictures on their mountain trips to Climbbybike.com. Actually, the origin of Climbbybike.com are (European) cycling fans, our pictures, information and stories.

And:
There are several ways in which to classify the difficulty of mountains. Climbbybike has developed its own formula, in an effort to reflect the most important aspects in a well-weighted manner, the climbbybike difficulty index.

CLIMBBYBIKE-INDEX
(H*100/D)*2 + H²/D + D/1000 + (T-1000)/100

(Whereby: H = difference in height; D = distance in meters; T = top of mountain in meters)

The last part of the formula does only apply to mountains above 1000 meters.

So, any ebikers may want to ask themselves... Do I feel lucky, Ebiker Punk?

I attended this last year. It was fun.

The rules need to be taken with a grain of salt as even "Ontario legal" ebikes vary a lot in how much mechanical power they actually put into the drive wheel. Add to this the number of people who do mods (overvoltage, etc.) and it would be quite difficult to make a legal race and enforce it. So just enjoy it for what it is knowing most ebikes that do well will not be anywhere close to "legal".

However, I think a truly legal race, though not easy to implement, would be possible. Some sort of power limit module could be applied to give everyone the same electric power to work with. Then it becomes a real contest with the weight of the bike, motor selection, component efficiency, gearing and the strength of the human "engine" coming into play. Optimizing what can be done with legal and limited power (500W electrical or something a bit higher to account for average motor efficiency) could yield real benefits.

"I attended this last year. It was fun."

Ummm... By "this", plus your location per the Alt.Planet, my guess, you were one of the hard-core, racing last year in Toronto. (Where EVeryone was a "winner", at least compared to some that are into antique (no "power-assist") bicycles. (Hehe.)

"The rules need to be taken with a grain of salt as even "Ontario legal" ebikes vary a lot in how much mechanical power they actually put into the drive wheel. Add to this the number of people who do mods (overvoltage, etc.) and it would be quite difficult to make a legal race and enforce it. So just enjoy it for what it is knowing most ebikes that do well will not be anywhere close to "legal"."

The road in Toronto is (or I guess so) an Ontario provincial road, no? At least, "road legal" was assumed. And yes, I agree with you, the race organizers need *something* (in the "legal road bike" category).

"However, I think a truly legal race, though not easy to implement, would be possible. Some sort of power limit module could be applied to give everyone the same electric power to work with. Then it becomes a real contest with the weight of the bike, motor selection, component efficiency, gearing and the strength of the human "engine" coming into play. Optimizing what can be done with legal and limited power (500W electrical or something a bit higher to account for average motor efficiency) could yield real benefits."

Interesting! A "power limit module". That aside for a moment, the whole reason for this uphill race is to promo our electricamaterrific thingees.

It hadn't occurred to me at that time that there were already many other uphill "bicycle" races. And they may or may not have any "fine print" about exactly watt sort of "bicycle" may enter. (Hehe.)

I would assume that motorcycle vehicles are NOT welcome at least (generally have no practical/operational foot pedals). And "mopeds"... Maybe too noisy/smelly, assuming some fossil fuel involved.

So. Watts the closest thing ebike lovers have now to a "power limit module", d'you think? And watt might be the "downside" (other than cost)? And how might such a thingee be "installed" just for the race?
L

PS. And, how much staggering around might a winner do at the after race party?

Oh! On a Giggle (sp?)internet search just now for "bicycle uphill race 2014", top of first page Toronto.

Super embarrassing for an old ebiker to have a bicycle race promoted the wrong way around (down, not up), plus actually named for a resort named after one of your own ancestors:
2014-DH-Season.jpg

:?

Interesting... Personally, I have really only been interested in URBAN commutes for work and for fun, and only stumbled across electric traction for two-wheeled (cheapest vs pubic (sp?) transport, the "car", etc.) bicycles... So I've been reading/catching up on watt the local/regional antique (pedal-only) bicycle crowd are up to today...

EG these folks, here:
http://chicoracing.com/

About Us

What started as one event in 1994 has burgeoned into a company that promotes Ontario mountain bike events, riding and trail development.

Think B.C. is the epicenter of cycling in Canada? Guess again. With a large variety of accessible, moderately difficult trails, the rolling terrain of Southern Ontario is just the ticket for riders of all ability levels to enjoy the fun and exhilaration of winding through a row of pines or a flowing hardwood trail.

Chico Racing has concentrated on the Ontario market, and because of this we have been able to create a unique relationship with the sport in our area. The result? A legacy of many trail systems that support some of the biggest events in the world, a knowledge of all facets of the sport, and an inter-personal relationship with our riders that sets us apart from marketing companies that simply target Mountain Biking. Having grown up in a family who started mountain biking in its' infancy (Papa Ruppel bought a high-end Ritchey bike in 1985), the staff at Chico Racing were riders first, and can still turn over a crank with the best of them (at different times of the year).

June 21-22, "The Solstice is North America's Largest 24 Hour Mountain Bike Festival and Relay Event!"

So, looking over their web site, seems like rural camping plus pedal bike racing. Lots of sponsors. Zero "uphill" racing, but again, at a glance/quick once-over of their web site.

LockH said:
"I attended this last year. It was fun."

Ummm... By "this", plus your location per the Alt.Planet, my guess, you were one of the hard-core, racing last year in Toronto. (Where EVeryone was a "winner", at least compared to some that are into antique (no "power-assist") bicycles. (Hehe.)
I was on the recumbent trike, Lock. I met you in the parking lot beforehand and took a short ride on your trike.
LockH said:
So. Watts the closest thing ebike lovers have now to a "power limit module", d'you think?
A Cycle Analyst comes immediately to mind. I'm not sure what else might be suitable.
LockH said:
And watt might be the "downside" (other than cost)?
Standardization of connections, participants providing the necessary inputs/outputs and it might sometimes be necessary to tune the closed loop controller.
LockH said:
And how might such a thingee be "installed" just for the race?
Maybe it could be modularized with easy mounting with straps or similar. Participants would need to provide a suitable mounting location and the necessary connectivity.

All this is pretty difficult to organize for sure. It requires a lot of thought, clear rules and willing participants. Frankly, I think very few would be willing to go through all this. The up side would be the potential for innovation. It would really open the eyes to the relative efficiencies and inefficiencies of different setups.

Well, I have searched the Ebiker Bible (aka ES") for the phrase "power limit module" with no luck. Using Giggle (sp?) at least the World Wide Wait (sp?) turns up some spendy stuff made by Cisco. Also some WiFi bits. I was sorta hoping to find something waaay less "spendy" than a CA (as much as I love my own V3).

Oh goody... Look watt I found on Wicked-pee-dia (sp?), here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Hill_Climb_Championships

British National Hill Climb Championships

Short word:
The British National Hill Climb Championship is a hill climbing competition held annually by Cycling Time Trials with the location varying year on year. The first edition was in 1944 and it has been won by some of the best all-round British cyclists, such as Brian Robinson, Paul Curran, Malcolm Elliot, Chris Boardman and Jeff Williams.

Watt??? No LFP et al??? So, that race hasn't yet been "challenged" by an ebiker? YET???

Found another annual "uphill" bicycle race (this year same day as in Toronto), the 35th Annual "STP" Event, the Seattle to Portland Bike Ride. Here:
http://www.teamfischbach.com/bike/event.php?event=bike_STP_2014&year=2014&who=steve&standard=US

So right now the Toronto race is waaaaay shorter, but while the STP race advertizes an "uphill altitude" of maybe 3,010 feet, that's over a total distance of maybe 202+ MILES. The Toronto "climb" is maybe only about 200 feet, but the distance again much, much shorter (EVerybuddy's gotta get to the after-party, after all).

Calling all Apache ebike riders (those who like to get higher - up). Or any ebikers that're going to be anywhere close to Salt Lake City next September 21, 2014 check out the "Tour de Suds". Starts out in Park City, UT, with a 7-mile mountain bike climb from City Park, to the top of Guardsman Pass (a 2,700ft elevation gain).

https://mountaintrails.org/events/tour-de-suds/

From that page:
Participants are urged to don ‘festive’ costumes and celebrate the beginning of the fall mountain bike season in a spirited manner!! Crazy costumes, crazy bikes is the concept!

So I bet if some ebikers shows up they'll see a "crazy bike" like they've nEVer seen before. ;)

(BTW, 2012 EVent on YT:)
[youtube]BkWPWJ5JH1A[/youtube]

Found another. Near San Fran, CA... the "Save Mount Diablo Challenge", seen here:
http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activities_events_chal.html

"The East Bay's "Best Uphill Bike Ride"
Sunday, October 5, 2014"

In part:
... an 11.2 mile timed bike ride, starting at Athenian School in Danville and climbing up Southgate Road 3,249 feet to the summit of Mount Diablo. We now have a Junction Wave which will end at Mt. Diablo's Junction at 6.5 miles and 1,578 feet elevation gain- great for those building their climbing skills! 1,000 cycling enthusiasts compete and prizes are awarded for several categories in a ceremony at the summit with food and beverages for all. All proceeds benefit Save Mount Diablo’s land conservation efforts.

So... Any ebikers wanna mess with their minds? (In a nice way, of course!)

Last year on YT:
[youtube]Z0SqdbFd18I[/youtube]

Here's one for folks in AU, east end... just east of Melbourne in Victoria state.

Seen here:
http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Detail/Summer/Events2/Event-Calendar2/154

Coming up soon, on Sunday March 23, 2014. In part:
The event will take in the stunning scenery and gruelling challenge of the Mt Buller Tourist Road, and 16km uphill ride from Mirimbah at the base of the mountain right up to the Mt Buller Village - a climb that rises 909 vertical metres in height, with an average grade of 6% and a number of sections that reach 12%.

Last years climb on YT:
[youtube]Pm67YWnlSwg[/youtube]

Any ebikers here from the Island? The big one? (Well, has some really tall bits anyway.) I'm talking about Haleakala Crater, in Maui, Hawaii. Their 2014 "Cycle To The Sun" EVent will take place on Saturday, June 28. ("Ride the longest, steepest paved road on the planet".)

Seen here:
http://cycletothesun.com/

So 36 miles in length, plus 10,023 vertical feet... up. Anybuddy here interested in some "extensive merchandise prizes" maybe?

Seems some folks have turned this "climb" into a bit of a science. On Youtube:
[youtube]scRpCoi6KxU[/youtube]

Of course, it might be possible ebike riders are mostly wussies.

Huh. So, nobuddy on the Alt. Planet "bites"??? (Kinda thought the "ebike riders are mostly wussies" comment might "get a rise" out of SOMEbuddy here... Oh well.)

I believe I may have already said earlier in this thread that one objective of this "attack" on the uphill bicycling "community" (plus all others of the homosapien species) is to PROMOTE THE ELECTRIC BICYCLE as a legit means (and waaay better in many respects) of transportation vs the 20th-century horseless carriage (the "car", etc.).

One example maybe, "The World of Creative Activism", seen here:
http://www.newdream.org/resources/arts-culture/creative-activism

In part:
When you think of activism, your mind’s eye may conjure a dusty image of hippies marching with peace signs. But aesthetics change, and a new kind of activism is afoot with a very different look than the old bell-bottomed sort.

Good ideas meet excellent execution in the new world of creative activism. Taking the form of pranks, stunts, faux newspapers, seed bombing, and unusual graffiti, new activism expresses ideas and takes people by surprise.

HELLO???

In the most recent post in this thread for example, there would maybe be no need to "quibble" with race organizers about the fact your "bicycle" may appear "odd", or a "cheater" bike/trike.

Instead maybe, just show up at the start a day or two before the day of the "real" race. Have a friend record the start time. Photo/video the whole trip up, including a clock showing the finish time/day.

Then camp out and wait for the "media" to show up. Post on a large sheet/wherEVer the start, finish and elapsed times.

Pop some champagne while you are waiting (OK, some cheap beer will do - but maybe wear a stained, dirty t-shirt too. Maybe stuff same to appear to have a "beer belly".)

Yes?

Oh oh... Those crazy Scots have got into the action...This Saturday, March 30th... seen here:
http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Event/Red-Bull-Hill-Chasers-Scotland-2013-021243309708778

Stuff like:
The UK’s only multi-discipline, uphill sprint race is coming to Scotland for the very first time to settle a long standing battle between bike disciplines. Who will have the stamina and speed to prove that their bike is the fastest on Edinburgh's most iconic hill?

Video of last years EVent seen here:
http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Article/Video-Action-from-Red-Bull-Hill-Chasers-2013-021243334791152

Note: Apparently, last year, none of the EC (global Ebiker Clan) to be seen swigging any Barrel Aged Robert The Bruce With Raspberries during the so-called "climb".

Yay! We're Number One! (Ebikers, in a Giggle (sp?) Word Wide Wait (sp?) "seatch" for "uphill bicycle race 2014 -downhill".

Hehe... While checking "uphill racing" in Toronto, one annual road running race popped up (in a Giggle (sp?) search for the phrase "toronto uphill bicycle race", for any country, over the past year), seen here:
http://www.mynextrace.com/events/harrys-spring-run-off-toronto/

And the most recent comment from one of last years racers, in part:
Parking = nightmare but that can be forgiven as Toronto = parking nightmare on a good day.

Hehe... Funny, I don't recall ANY of the ebike riders complaining about "parking" at the uphill ebike race last year.

Well now I am extra jealous. About that Mt.Washington uphill race I mentioned in this thread earlier. Update:
http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/news/42nd-annual-mt-washington-auto-road-bicycle-hillclimb-fills-newtons-revenge-opens/

Stuff like:
Pinkham Notch, N.H.- On February 6, less than a week after on-line registration opened for this year’s Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb, 635 cyclists had filled the field for this all-uphill bike race to the summit of the highest peak in the Northeast. Since registration for the Hillclimb is now closed, anyone else hoping for the opportunity to race up the Mt. Washington Auto Road this summer has two choices: sign up for the Hillclimb waiting list, in case a space opens sometime between now and August 16, or register now to ride in Newton’s Revenge, the other annual race on the same course, held this year on July 12.

(No word whether are from the "better class" - aka "ebikers".)

As of this date, in Toronto, "6 attending" (the Toronto thingee, next July 12... and I suspect our "registration fees" are waaaay cheaper - free, actually). Hopefully, the after-party at least will be reported in the news ("nasty party ebikers hauled off to jail").

Back