AHOY! NEXT UPHILL BICYCLE RACE in the Global Series!

Weather forecast? Looks like the stars are aligning locally for this next July 12...
14Daya.jpg

Hmmm... Weather forecast for 12th near Lake Ont. getting more crystal. 20% P.O.P. only, plus maybe 10 hrs sun. (Lake breeze outta be pleasant re after-race EVent.)
Weather_06.jpg

Honda Indy (Toronto), coming in (oh yeah. Toronto stop "Uphill Racing" (TM) involved week before also):
http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/event-info

(Dang. I wanna hire their online/EVent promo grrrl (or guy).)

Weather_09.jpg

(Current snapshot, Toronto Island airport - closer to EVents on Saturday.)

About 10 guys showed up, with scooters and e-bikes, most of them were modified.

5wmmp2.jpg

Interesting trike

6gk0pg.jpg

ACK! Beat me to posting here. Anyway...
Well, a glorious day, and PEP (Phoenix Ebike Promotions) was at the finish line to capture the Winner (A master of the sneaky stuff, Andy McKenna):
July12Winner.jpg

(Sorry if pic slightly blurry. Clerk at camera shop said it was fast film, but I didn't realize how fast the competition was, obviously.)

And following, at a polite second place, John Zoccano, riding his recumbent trike.

(Watt one referred to as a "Volcano", his own design, the Arctrike - seen on ES here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56959

...and here:
http://arctrike.com/

(Rumour was he stopped part way up, to let others catch up.)

Then the rest of the rebels, and trailing, Chris Williams, whose own EV temp out of service, one arm in a cast, and rode on a pedal-only bicycle! (Gasp, a first for the Toronto race. Apparently he had to resort to a classic "huff and puff", and walked his bike up part of the route, but others were too polite to say anything - if they weren't already out of sight/up ahead anyway.)

Also in the pack, Andrei Joukov, riding his fabulous bettery-electric two wheeler thingee:
July12Andrei.jpg

Master Gary from Golden Motor Canada also made it to the race, and his son wins as youngest racer yet in this EVent!

(Definitely both winners in the "street legal" category.)

Big John (John Zoccano) EVen posted on the Toronto riders web site (at 11:09am today) that he WAS coming, and to not start the race without him. (J not knowing yet watt a bunch of lazy rebels the racers are.)

Last years winner, that extra-sneaky Master Chuck guy, was back this year, howEVer not to defend his title, as his latest creation still not "perfect", so riding last years orange mod-Gio that was a 3rd last year (ridden by another).

At great personal risk, M.Chuck guy gave your correspondent a ride down the hill to watch the crowd gathering:
July12Before.jpg

(Arctrike in foreground, on the right Enriques "Prime Thunder" monster ebike.)

After-race EVent nearby at newly-named Ebikers Beach was attended by... one. I guess those racers were too tired or something:
July12AfterEVent.jpg

Too bad, they missed out on cheeze and crackers and orange juice and other stuff (a biz expense paid for by PEP), and to see up close-and-personal the very large full moon due to appear later this EVening. (Talking about my telescope -the big one, seen in the pic.)

All and all, a good time had by all (I hope).

Hey Lock, it was nice finally meeting you, and the rest of TO crew!
Sorry, I could not make it to your after-party, I had very anxious 15 y.o. teenager waiting for me at home to go shopping. Everyone knows how girls and shopping works :)
Plus I had to ride almost 40 km back to my place at the border of 'ssauga and Etobicoke on the Lakeshore.
Thank you for your effort and organizing this race 2 years in the row.
I'm already working on my next project.
See you next year.

Hmmm... Mississauga/Etobicoke, eh? Soooo... looking at one map:
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/trails_map.pdf

... can't seem to find this:

... except as a logo in the margins. So guy? In the west end, care to pick some REALLY "steep" road we can race UP anytime soon (ie this summer/fall. Worst case next spring/summer.)?

Any old steep bit where cyclists do that cute butt-wiggling thingee, or that fun/ classic "huff and puff" drag their bikes up routine?

(Speaking of "next projects".. hehe)

"Dear Lock Hughes,
Congratulations on your event this weekend!
We wanted to let you know that your participants can write a Banana Review of your event on the MyNextRace.com review page here:
http://www.mynextrace.com/events/uphill-bicycle-race/

This is a new, FREE service from MyNextRace.com that allows for controlled, monitored feedback for your event.

It has been proven to increase your Google search rankings and improve SEO."

Hehe...

Oh, BTW. Next Sunday, September 27, 2015.

3rd Annual Toronto stop of Global Uphill Bicycle Racing! (Trikes, sidecars, rickshaws OK too.)

And in kinda a Toronto stop tradition, a total lunar eclipse that day (Moonrise 18:48
Moonset 06:15 the next morning) if the gawds bless clear skies..

Ladies and Gentlemen. Start your engines. (Or wattEVer an ebiker does.)

John in CR said:
"Global Series???

Hehe... In the maybe crazy imagination of some old guy... These races are "easy to organize" (The after-party maybe no so much.), so anybuddy could "organize" the same sort of EVent? (Watt??? Not "big business" YET???) Anyway... it might be cool to "do the circuit" of races brought to life through living better chemically. Maybe could interest sponsors. Hehe

PS: Oddly, maybe didn't catch thread here "Flag for the Global Electric Bicycle Nation". Hehe

LockH said:
John in CR said:
"Global Series???

Hehe... In the maybe crazy imagination of some old guy... These races are "easy to organize" (The after-party maybe no so much.), so anybuddy could "organize" the same sort of EVent? (Watt??? Not "big business" YET???) Anyway... it might be cool to "do the circuit" of races brought to life through living better chemically. Maybe could interest sponsors. Hehe

PS: Oddly, maybe didn't catch thread here "Flag for the Global Electric Bicycle Nation". Hehe

As long as it's on paved road and within reasonable distance of me, count me in. I'm no community organizer, but here's an idea for you. There's gotta be a way via internet on smart phones to be able to do some kind of group event with participants from anywhere with 3G or better internet to compete from different parts of the world at the same time....well at least people within a few time zones of each other. Just make the course definition something like a 200m or greater net increase in altitude over a 2km distance, or whatever is agreed upon. We've gotta have enough tech savy around here to pull something like that off, right?

Well, dang. So, folks don't get to fly into CR for the local race??? Dang.

As I pointed out to an area Club manager recently, partly any "work PARTY" at a members Club is partly an "esprit des corps" thingee?

AFAIK the whole reason for this UPHILL racing is to promo the concept of bettery-electric (sp?) traction using small vehicles in urban environments?

(One objective of mine is to get the EVent into area newspapers, etc... Make it enter the local bicycle "community stream of consciousness". And, turns out, there are at least a few uphill bicycle races already "out there". A few sorta famous themselves.)

So how to turn these EVents into like a "NASCAR"-like series?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_series

Sooo... Does this Ebiker Racing Fan look familiar?
NASCARFanHallFame.jpg

Ok...i didnt know you guys posted this...BUT...in all honesty...Andrei and i did stop half way up...and im pretty sure i passed everybody to the finish..but hey...lol..i had fun...Who says that a Crystalyte HS3540 at 72 volts cant move up a hill....hopefully when i raise the needed funds on Kick Starter in August ill have 2 Arctrikes!,,what do you guys think of them apples???..

forendless2.jpg

Dang. STILL haven't found the TWO THUMBS UP button here. Dang.

(And we forgot about the "SMOKIN' VEHICLE" category.)

The race looked like a lot of fun. I would have loved to participate, but being out in etobicoke not possible unless i owned a van to bring my motorino xph out there but sadly I dont . Wish a race was organised out in my area and id be there for sure . But when I think about it , I cant think of a hill similar to the bluffs out in the west end. Anyone out there know of a hill in the etobicoke area? Would love to participate in a stock e-bike race version ( Stock with the govener not pluged in , heh heh :mrgreen: ).

LockH said:
Hmmm... Mississauga/Etobicoke, eh?
In the west end, care to pick some REALLY "steep" road we can race UP anytime soon (ie this summer/fall. Worst case next spring/summer.)?

Port Credit, etc.
highpark.gif

1. Etobicoke Shale Outcrop
Along the western sector a thin till layer that originally covered the bedrock has been scoured off by glacial action leaving a prominent area of bedrock substrate that extends from the mouth of Mimico Creek westward to Burlington. This bedrock forms a convex shoreline profile consisting predominantly of broken shale boulders on top of bedrock extending into deep water.

Humber Bay Depositional Area
From Humber Bay east to Ontario Place the substrates are dominated by fine material. Humber Bay and Toronto Bay are depositional areas containing recent silt deposits that predominantly come from the suspended sediment loads associated with the Humber and Don Rivers. The depositional area of Humber Bay is thought to be formed as a result of significant fluting in the underlying bedrock which produces the deep basin-like depression of the Bay.

... `course, Europeans followed local/"Indian" trail `round the lake. (Just thinking of bike non-uphill racing non-tuffy bits here.)
Shore.jpg

Down Hamilton (Burlington Bay) way, as I recall at least one... "dramatic" uphill bit (I threw bike in trunk of taxi :oops: ).

The map is a little hard to read, but as long as its paved and charging available at the start im in . By the description it sounds like I would need a dirt bike lol . I know the general area your talking about but dont recall any hills but I could be mistaken . Port credit starts west of browns line and lakeshore dosent it ? I really cant recall any hills unless this is a endurance race? If others want to participate im in . I just need a more clear map .

"...unless this is a endurance race?"

Well, YES IT IS actually. (Mostly endurance re vehicles not re riders, who may still have to straggle back home after race after-parties.)

... and lots of witnesses. (For race.)

But the whole point is promotion of battery-electric traction for personal use in urban environments.

Seemed might be a Handy-Dandy link here maybe:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=RANDONNEUR

Errrm... some might think of this uphill race business as an "Uphill Rush":
http://www.gamesfreak.net/games/Uphill-Rush_3186.html

for adults/all more-or-less "legal" ages.

And "LIVE".

Back