Brake's Phatrod Cruiser Build

Finally have some more 18650 s coming in the mail. Can't wait to get this thing up to the full 22s and 150 amps.
:)
Hoping to somehow get the adappto bms at some point too. Man those guys sound busy.

Finally back from work! :)

Getting back in to the battery packs. Noted some problems with a couple packs after sitting all together for two months. Left them all charged to around 3.8v when I left.

Discharging and then will weed out bad packs. Then capacity charge.

Calculated nichrome discharge set up worked ok, but i think if I had to do it again I would do it differently. :(

Finally got enough batteries sorted out to get her up and running again.

So much fun. Lost roughly five more 10p Konkani packs while they sat there and I was at work. The capacity charge test helped me weed out and get built back up to 19s. Only three packs more to assemble and I'm back to where she should be.

At 19s I found that I really had to watch the front end from lifting. Turned down the boost acceleration to 30 instead of blank(unlimited I think).

Made a 7s8ppack out of Samsung 24r batteries. Roughly the same capacity as the 10 to 12p konions.

All cleaned up and it starts to rain. Oh we'll. have to see if the silicon job keeps the controller dry until I make a new rear fender. Warm night for a wet ride. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407993503.859221.jpg
20s OVS on 4. :)

Finally hit my goal speed. There was a little hill, so I cheated a little. 46 mph up it though.

Two more parallel packs to go!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408587621.191069.jpg
Active inrush control thanks to Fechter!
Rated to 100v and using 4 irfp4468 and dual 10 gage wires. Have to get a better switch but the toggle works for now.

That build, sir, is the jazz.

Is the original bike frame made of 6061 aluminum, or 7005? Did you do any post-weld heat treatment? There's probably no reason for concern about your very thick-walled stays, but the frame tubing is not that thick.

The frame is 6061. The additional was 6061 t6. All TIG welded. The two primary areas I focused on where the top tube joint and the bottom bracket area. I added 4-5 times the amount of aluminum there. No post weld temper treatment. The t6 may naturally temper back some but I just overbuilt to not really be concerned about it. Right now I am mostly worried about the front forks. They are aluminum and make me nervous. I will be building some chromoly forks in the near future. I hope.

Anyway. Love riding it. It's like a crotch rocket through the city neighborhoods that is silent. Had to drop to 20s for the time being. Need to build a couple more packs. Oh we'll.

Not sure about updating the adappto firmware either?? Hmmmmm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409207774.982271.jpg
22s finally. Man it was getting tight for space. New record over 10 kw for me. Not trying top speed yet. Scary.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409207881.390385.jpg
What to do with these???
Anyone used these recycled batteries?

Put together a little video. [youtube]nP3LOgmZzTA[/youtube]
Gopro was stuffed in the cup holder, little shaky. Sorry.

Cheers, Brake.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411530136.398953.jpg
Crane Creek Thudbuster Lt. I'm pretty excited to try one of these out.

I love this Adappto controller! Just finished a 30+ mile ride, 8 miles of it were no handed and not pedaled. I'll call that a cruiser! :)

Seat post suspension was super comfortable. Anyone considering it, it works great. Sets the seat back a little but otherwise it worked perfect for this bike with no rear suspension.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412094105.432801.jpg

More tools. First time using an English wheel. Got lucky and didn't pinch a finger.

Beautiful! Now I want an English wheel too... looks like it'd be hard to do but you seem to have made an exceptionally smooth and sharp fender!

When you have to sign for something in the mail you know it is important :)
Thanks Allex!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413875711.265091.jpg
Finally got the missing pieces. Adappto BMS and 30 amp charging coil.

So, time to rebuild the 18650's for the BMS!

Found a nice little case to fit the BMS into and still see the fancy flashing LED's.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413876032.149436.jpg
Then to wire it all up. Blue spaghetti.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413876093.311653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413876114.611688.jpg
Tight fit but sits perfectly it the front section.

View attachment 1
A bit out of balance. But all 22s hooked up and reading.
Next on to the charging setup.

Going to modify four of these by floating the DC sections in three of them, then series connect to make 48v and 47 amp power supply.

Got the power supply all made up. Pretty easy really. And these can be bought off eBay for like $20 each with shipping. Heavy home unit, wouldn't want to carry it anywhere.

I also have a smaller 12v high amp fanless PSU for the balancing completion of the BMS. Now I can just leave the batteries and side covers on and not mess with them again. Soooo nice!

Went for a ride to discharge the batteries so I could try out the big charger. Hooked it up and adjusted the charger settings to as high as I could. Charged at around 25 amps to the battery for a few seconds before

The lights all went out. Lol

Popped a breaker. Not a big deal. Just have to plug the big power supply into two separate circuits.

Here's a shot of it. Will make it look pretty later. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413927164.845755.jpg

Back