Brake's Phatrod Cruiser Build

I hit the 1100 mile mark today.
:)
That surprised me, didn't think it would be that much. The bike has been fantastic, I absolutely love it. There is no way I could imagine living without an ebike now.
So here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757006.211940.jpg
Goes surprisingly well in the mud. Especially with traction control.

As a side project, I built a capacitive discharge spot welder in preparation for the next build. And I wanted one really bad anyway. After completing the active inrush master switch, my first adventure into thyristors, I figured why not give it a go.
The finished setup.
Here are some pics of the progression.
The collection of pieces and trying to figure out what I was doing.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757323.720791.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757323.720791.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,543
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757384.860684.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757384.860684.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,543
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757474.055648.jpg
I settled on four farads. Running at 13.4v. There is one big thyristor and a relay to cut the power from the power supply while it discharged.

Here I machined down some acetyle and put in a momentary push button into the end off one of the handles.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757683.114831.jpg

And to my amazement, it works really good. I'm using 0.010 nickel.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424757773.734245.jpg

And it holds really well. It will tear off the nickel.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424758188.898521.jpg

And then it's all installed into this cheap case.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424758308.965926.jpg

I was getting really tired of the water spraying into my face from the tire, so it was time to see what I could do with the English wheel again.

This took me a full day. Probably because I don't know what I'm doing and need a lot of practice.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424758554.248930.jpg

Last few times out I've been hitting the single tracks. Now I can see why an off-road bike would be so nice. Even without suspension the tires make it pretty smooth. There is definitely enough power. Still have to watch the front end from lifting. I am really looking forward to the next build now. Full suspension mid drive in mind.:)
Cheers, Brake.

Wow, excellent work there mate - is there a skill set you DON'T have?? :shock:
Also makes me realise that my next house must have a workshop!
Looking forward to seeing what else you produce.

Thanks unclejam,
I love doing this stuff. Especially with all the awesome resources that are on this board. ES is what really makes it all possible.

Brake said:
Thanks unclejam,
I love doing this stuff. Especially with all the awesome resources that are on this board. ES is what really makes it all possible.
Many skills, and humble too! I don't think anyone else on here is using an English wheel to make their own fenders!

A cruiser on single track! :shock: Big tires definitely help. I never played around with traction control, perhaps I'll tune it next winter. Can't wait to see your next build! I'd love to build a full-suspension mid-drive eventually.

Xenodius, thanks man, for all the help too.

Got the mxus 3T in the mail today. I will have all the main components here soon for the next build. Max E, MXUS, and Tesla cells! Should be able to come up with something fun.

I think you've done all the helping =) Can't wait to see what you put together. Should be incredible. I keep thinking about what I'm going to do when, someday, I finish the velomobile. Probably an off-roader and then an eboard. I'd like to have the eboard so the dog could get some more exercise on walks, though. It takes hours to properly wear her out.

I figure you already have battery spacers but it's worth mentioning our Ultimaker 2 is ordered. No idea on lead time, but we'll have it soon... There's only a handful of people who have printed large objectsout there, but I'm confident that I'm going to 3d-print so much stuff it'll be a running joke of zero novelty. Rear-view mirrors, dash mounts, custom ergonomic seat, fairing, battery pack shell, spacers... jigs, wheel covers. Phone dock. Speaker housings. Let me know if you need anything, I expect it'll be here within a month and calibrated that week. =) I plan on modding it with an E3d-compatible hotend designed by Anders Olsson, the "Olsson Block", as soon as they're available again; this will allow me to quickly swap between .25mm and 1.2mm hotends which, with a cover over the top of the printer, will allow the entire print area to be fully enclosed and heated for warp-free printing of ABS parts, at a very high speed. Most of the parts our lab needs are small and require precision, but some pieces-- that I want to print-- will be better served by mass-production. I can't wait! We got a nice 26" touchscreen desktop to do the modeling on, too. And altogether, that cost a percent of what our calcium imaging system cost us...

Anyway, IIRC you're planning on single-stage, single-speed reduction on the 3t? What's you ideal top speed, or gearing that you plan on? Easy to change if need be, of course, but I'm betting you're going for maximum torque up to ~30mph? Hope you get a gopro so we can live vicariously through the singletrack =)

Offtopic: Did you try the Parabola? I opened their XVIII Ale today, a blend of several, and I think I died and went to heaven. I love Firestone Walker. Brewing a Selkirk Afterlife (Session Belgian IPA, 4.2%) and a coffee-chocolate oatmeal milk-stout ("Mokah", 13%) week after next, during the spring-break lull, hopefully. I'd like to bring you some of each, the BIPA will be best fresh and the mokah will need some time. Thought about adding something extra and calling it the "Milk-Bud". :mrgreen: I recently found out that 13/14 people I work with vape pot on a regular basis, pretty eye opening actually. Things are picking up and I'm only hoping I can find the time to finish designing the frame and getting a cutlist, shouldn't actually take that long though... I've got this thought, in the back of my head, parting out my A123 cells and sticking the 29E cells onto my KMX. The weight would be basically the same, but CoG would be lower, seat angle would be better, and range would be tripled-- 100 miles to 20% at top speed without OVS (40mph). 4.75kwh is not shabby at all. But suspension, weather protection, and cargo capacity for the long term will win out, I think... I'll scrap the KMX eventually and have one much better bike. Summer should be productive! It's 13 hour days right now, every day-- hardly enough time for anything, if I didn't have Modafinil =)

Damn, I don't know how you fit all this stuff in. That beer sounds awesome. Don't think I've ever had a session ipa. That sounds really good. Coming from you, the certified beer master I'm sure it's awesome.

Thanks for the offer on the 3d printing. I may take you up on that sometime. Learning solidworks slowly but have a ways to go. I have to go back to work toward the end of the month unfortunately. Should be back beginning of June though. Maybe during your summer break, if you get one, we can get together for a ride. And maybe some of those fine brews.
Oh and yes the plan in my head is a slow build, top speed of 30 mph, single reduction, high torque. Hopefully it will keep the motor in its operating rpm at low trail speeds. If 30 is low. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

For the dog, I just go nascar style around the block. Only turn left at high speed. She is a fast one.

I don't know either... but hopefully in the next couple months I'll actually get a cutlist for my frame and get some steel so I can start tacking on some hours here and there!

If only Cicerone meant "master beer brewer" and not just drinker! :mrgreen: :lol: I expect they'll be good, but I hope they're great! Last batch really finished well, ended up 10.5% so I kept my yeast very healthy! French oak was a bit too mild though, barely perceptible. The session belgian IPA is a clone of Selkirk's Afterlife... and when I say clone, I mean it, they gave me the recipe :mrgreen: I actually scaled it back a bit because I love the melon-cantaloupe freshness of it, especially around summertime, but wanted something I could have a bottle of with zero impairment. I could have brewed about 40 gallons of CDA for all the equipment I got, hopefully having freshly-milled grains and ultra-rapidly cooled wort will ensure good conversion, and good retention of hop flavor and aroma-- all especially important in that session IPA! I want it fruity, hoppy, dry, and bubbly! I'm even going to go through the hassle of canning some of my wort instead of adding sugar for bottle conditioning. Anything to keep the ABV down... just for that batch, not for the chocolate coffee oatmeal milk stout :)

Solidworks can be tricky, from hearsay I've thought about trying my hand at Blender which seems to be better for complex curves that can then be imported into solidworks. But for things like frames, battery boxes, small parts, solidworks is great. And the modeling goes faster and faster as you learn more and more hotkeys. But good luck trying to use it to sculpt. I suppose you've enough tools at hand, not to mention skill, to solve all sorts of problems I plan on using a printer for! (E.g, beautiful hand-rolled fenders!)

The other bonus with those E3d hot-ends; they are all metal, and so I can print polycarbonate and nylon as well. So, I will be able to print nylon bushings on-demand for dimes... which is kind of useful. More like brag-worthy. I've actually been working with some polycarb, building forced-swim chambers at work; the acrylic mix we have (toluene/MEK/triclo, IIRC) just eats it up and it bonds INCREDIBLY well to itself. Better than ABS, perhaps. But, it is more expensive and it's flexural modulus is only 13% stiffer... the difference is, it doesn't snap, it bends. So it'd be a safer fairing. I'll probably use ABS just for the cost, though! About half as expensive!

Whew, that's a long time! I sure hope I can come up for a ride! It'll be a weekend for sure. I might wait till then to borrow your spot welder. I'll definitely bring beer, maybe a few more stogies too =) I think I only have big ones left now! I don't think that'll be a problem...

By that time, I should have my uKeg, which is a schnazzy insulated growler-- perfect for a cold beer 'on tap' at the end of an ebike ride!

I think 30mph is plenty for the trails! Should be an absolute blast :lol: Torque is an addiction :D You'll probably get great efficiency even at around 10mph! Should kill the single track.

Ok. Back from work. Time to get back at it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434352851.246906.jpg
Thanks Okashira!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434353111.792219.jpg
Made a wood form too build the battery pack. It's adjustable after I figure out the maximum cell count.
Then time to fish paper and shrink tube all the cells.

Back