Brake's Phatrod Cruiser Build

So here is the final layout. The Tesla cells all match polarity direction and color. 21S12P!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434353843.975931.jpg

All parallel cell packs were then got glued together, wrapped with kapton tape, and finally separated by fiberglass insulating tape (salvaged from the module).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434354055.687407.jpg

Then the whole pack was hot glued together. With my little helper.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434354347.177193.jpg

Patterns for the nickel sheet. 0.010" thick. Used an auto center punch to mark welding locations.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434354453.625672.jpg

Thanks.
I'm just learning as I go. Got a bit more done.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434476297.251728.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434592518.638245.jpg
All welded up. Now for the wiring. Got some 8 gauge silicon wires for the mains.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434593083.530178.jpg
Ok. All the wiring is done. Ready for the Adaptto BMS. Dual 8 gauge wires for power. I kind of hate to cover it all up now.

That is a slick battery build brake,i do question the hot glue and battery heat-vibrations? probably because ive never had much luck with 3m hot glue under duress,and ive never built such a phat-slick battery.on with the show 8) ...

Hey thanks.
I had good luck with the hot glue on the last battery builds. We will see though. I covered the whole thing with ABS and gorilla tape, then shoved it in. Got nervous for a minute because it barely fit in. It is in there nice and tight.

Got the 21s sorted out on the Adaptto bms. Had to make board 5 a three cell and board 6 a two cell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434607939.666068.jpg

What a great day too get out and go riding. I'm half way done testing at slow cruising speeds and will keep going after a quick break.

Brake said:

All welded up. Now for the wiring. Got some 8 gauge silicon wires for the mains.

That looks nice and shiny.
But how do you want find teh dud cell if there will be one or two like happened to Allex Stealth Bomber battery ? :wink:

It's going to be a pain to change out a bad cell. No doubt about it. Probably have to cut the nickel plates or try and rip them off, then freeze the hot glue to break the cell out. Guess we will see if that ever happens. As of yesterday I have all the cells balanced to within 0.006 volts and will continue to monitor. I'm putting a lot of faith into the quality of the cells. So far the quality appears exceptional. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Wow looks absolutely gorgeous. I might go for sheets over strips just for the sexy battery at the end! I have had no time at all to work on my bike but priority #1 is a new battery and then suspension! 18650's all the way! 14.2kw is crazy! Haven't hit that in ages now. :twisted:

Have you had the opportunity to move forward on that full suspension offroader?

Thanks Xenodious! This 3Kwh Tesla pack is a huge improvement, my range is now somewhere between 50 and 100 miles, tons of power and the cells are perfectly balanced all the time. I haven't started the full suspension bike yet, hopefully soon. I did get a donor bike though. :D

Here is the latest upgrade to the cruiser however.
Patterson.jpg

Modified Patterson Crank set. Now I can pedal up to about 20 mph. From Ebikes.ca, Thanks Justin!

Back