Brake's Phatrod Cruiser Build

Another update for anyone who might be following. I just finished modding the max e by upgrading the capacitors. Similar to what Doctorbass did and what Adaptto recommends for high power. I used digikey parts:
493-1152-nd aluminum capacitors 1000 uF 100v
490-3550-1-nd ceramic capacitors 1uF 250v

I replaced five of the original aluminum capacitors and then added 22 total ceramic capacitors. Just like Doc did, I added 7 at the battery connections and then five at each phase area.

So, I had to get a LCR meter to check all of this of course and my results are a total of 0.006 ohm ESR at the battery wire connectors and a total capacitance of 6.225 mF.

The hardest part was getting all the silicone removed from the controller prior to removing the existing capacitors.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438126690.770242.jpg
Also upgraded all the phase and battery wires with 8 Gage.

Updated the firmware to the latest rc9 g unlocked. And have been tuning most of the day. Had a lot of trouble with the autotune and thought I had screwed up the whole thing. Kept giving me hall errors either 1 or 2.

Long story short, if you have a pas enabled controller, connect it up before trying to fine tune everything. Without it connected, it would give a really strange throttle response at slow speeds. It acted like slight regen at the first 10% of the throttle. Was driving me crazy.

Also, if you are connecting a pas sensor to the connector they install, it goes like this:
Pin 1 = Brown Adaptto wire = 4.8v = sensor wire
Pin 2 = orange Adaptto wire = +5v = power wire
Pin 3 = black Adaptto wire = 0v = ground

Ran the pas for the first time ever, it's kinda cool for cruising around. I had to be careful not to set the power profile speed too high.

Still a lot of tuning and adjusting to do.

I'm just glad it still works.

Here's another pic of the controller under surgery.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438128007.185630.jpg
After this was all done I reapplied all the silicone.

Cheers

As a side project, I helped my buddy weld two bikes together last night to make a double decker bike. I still don't know how he is going to get on the thing when it's done.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438390169.730765.jpg
75 mile trip. Half of the battery using the pas. Man my ass is sore.

Loving the updates gere Brake, your build is inspiring. Wasnt aware that people had already started modding the addaptos! Good to be aware of. Thanks Man for sharing, can always be a drag to put the tools down and the camera phone up whe youve got s rhythm going.

Wow! Thanks Spinningmagnets. What a compliment! Thank you to all that have been following this thread too.

This build is practically finished, just a little more fine tuning to see how much more power I can reliably get out. Should be around 16kw. Next build in the works. Keep you all posted.

Questions or comments welcome of course.

Cheers, Brake.

Thanks. Only rear regen braking. It works really well. You can program the max e for how many regen amps you want for each power profile. I'm using 60 amps in normal mode and 90 amps in boost mode.

You are an artist :!: :!:
Dont know how i did not see this build till now :shock:

I like everything you did :shock: When i think i have seen everything on ES i find new fantastic builds!! Congratulations :!: :!:

Brake,

i just found your thread about your build.. Wow i'm impressed, your work is really well!

I am also impressed by your result with the spotwelding onteh nickel! congrat!

Doc

The bike is running awesome! Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it. Just getting ready for the next build. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Back