• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

Hyena said:
Lovely day for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fishing.gif

^^^ROFL :mrgreen: at the end
of the day its all food for the GooGlE Botz JaY :)

KiM

Hyena said:
Lovely day for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fishing.gif
Lmao, you guys are good for a laugh :lol:

Good to catchup with ya again mate, i'm stoked the bike is back up and running.

I've gotta say, holy crap that thing has some balls! :p 8.009kw from memory of my post ride data logging session :mrgreen:
Not quite up to Mick's 8.5kw, i'll give it to it harder in 2nd next time :wink: Actually it really surprised me in 2nd gear, it feels like it pulls even harder than in 1st!

When my Intense M3 / 3220 / HV160 bike is up and running, we're racin :D

Paul :D

8) Hey AJ looking and sounding great!! bet you are well pleased with it now? Ill be interested to see how the controller holds up, they can really thump out a lot power those thing just ask deecs arm! more videos if you can :mrgreen:

Timma2500 said:
Ahhh, now I know why AJ is on a diet.
Power:weight ratio baby. If you don't wanna blow more motors and controllers, lose weight :lol:

Timma2500 said:
Good to catchup with ya again mate, i'm stoked the bike is back up and running.

Ditto buddy been bit too long since we caught up ;)

Timma2500 said:
I've gotta say, holy crap that thing has some balls! :p 8.009kw
from memory of my post ride data logging session :mrgreen:
Not quite up to Mick's 8.5kw, i'll give it to it harder in 2nd next time :wink:
Actually it really surprised me in 2nd gear, it feels like it pulls even harder than in 1st!

I managed some footage mate, i was having trouble with the camera (as you know) i
couldnt turn it off at first then it wouldn't turn off hoping it was because it was low on
batteries :: shrigs:: seems too work ok now for stills anywayz here's the couple of passes i got of you Paul-->

[youtube]FKDk0G5mrNk[/youtube]

Timma2500 said:

Your on hehehe reckon you will be able to put as much power to the ground
without the front lifting? be interesting race bringz it on as they say, Paul hahaha
EDIT: can we also make it in 2-3 months time, when i have lost the weight of another HT35
off what is my now ripped physique, just to ensure victory is mine you 65kilo lightweight MOFO ROFL...

@Knoxie... Niether the ESC or motor are getting warm the ESC was 32C ffs haha
granted we are in winter now and temps are around 15-20C outside, i will also need to take
the bike for a decent length ride we have just be thrashing it around the block testing
to see how it goes, i will plan are ride day very shortly (soon as the wet weather breaks
hopefully later in the week
) The long hills out the back of Pickering Brook will test it out
the cruiser handled it fine i would think this bike being lighter and with two speeds will concur
it with even littler effort, and with the risk of putting the mocker on things, not embarress
Matt.P's frock powered MTB too much, soz Matt :mrgreen: :p :lol:
more than likely he will be towing me home on occasion so i shouldn't be so cocky LOL..
:: fingers crossed:: Knoxie, she will go ok for awhile if i treat it well ;)

KiM

hehe, great footage & capture of the shift at 0:13.

I know a lot of guys hearing that will say WTF how loud is that? But cameras seem to be able to really hear ellectical noise for some reason. I garruandamtee you that thing is not that loud to the human ear.
(may explain why the dogs chase me on my bikes!)

So far, Etards video's are catching what I would call the most realistic audible noise output of an rc drive in the worst case senario's (& both of these are useing #25 chain on the primary reduction, a belt is subtantialy quieter at 6x the cost)

Can't wait to see it in its final colors & congrats on a great build!
Now it's time for the turnigy vs astro death match!

Thud said:
cameras seem to be able to really hear ellectical noise for some reason.
And farts at 0.08 ? :lol:

I actually like the sound..I think Lukes bike has converted my ears :lol: I like stealth also but appreciate once the power goes up to something racy your going to get some noise, looking forward to seeing video from you AJ and good luck with the weight loss you are the opposite of me at the moment :lol: in fact I was going to start a thread called Lipo Suction...the only way to loose weight...suck some lipo from your bike and peddle more Knoxie :lol: ha ha and I just got myself a booster pack too! he he, If I get too fat ill have to put an RC motor on my bike :mrgreen:

I
Thud said:
I know a lot of guys hearing that will say WTF how loud is that? But cameras seem to be able to really hear ellectical noise for some reason. I garruandamtee you that thing is not that loud to the human ear.
(may explain why the dogs chase me on my bikes!)

That is very true that camera and many others pick up on any mechanical noise. They make it sound so much worse than in real life.Its the same when you film with a camera just over the engine bay of a idling car. You can hear each component of the valve train opening and closing.Every injector pulsing and inductions noises. it can make a silky smooth engine sound like a chaff cutter.

kurt.

Ypedal said:
This is the sound from my Astro 3210 from the rider's seat
Sounds like an overloading sonic screw driver :lol:

Thanks for the headache :p

Hyena said:
Ypedal said:
This is the sound from my Astro 3210 from the rider's seat
Sounds like an overloading sonic screw driver :lol:

Thanks for the headache :p

That reminds me. I have a root canal coming up..... :D

AJ, spent many weeks reading through every page of this and just finished. Congrats on your diligence. Obviously building without a deadline, as frustrating as that can be.....

You have any ideas on where I can purchase pre-laid composite panel/sheet? Don't really care what it is, just needs to be about 3mm and stiff.....

Your bike is truly a work of art.

Len

And farts at 0.08 ?

:lol:

Well spotted Jay. I missed it first time, but after you pointed it out I was rolling around on the floor laughing. They get that sound because they are tough RC Bois. Frockusexuals like you and I wouldn't have even made a sound, would have been like us blowing out a candle through a doorway....

It is an awesome bike though Kim. Seriously, hats off mate. Genuinely a highlight of the forum.

It's the Kylie Minogue of Ebikes. Almost hot enough to convert a rampant Frocko like me, but then I think of the high maintenance and whining sounds.....

Hyena said:
And farts at 0.08 ? :lol:

NICE!

Now we just need a methane powered portable generator for back country charging!

Thanks for the kind words fellas, and sorry to disappoint all but its not a fart its just my wheelchair squeeking, you can also hear it at the end of the clip, needs a service, i am on the waiting list for a new chair hopefully can organise to keep this one though its an XTR Quickie suspension chair not made anymore...

@Lenk42602 I bought the CF sheet from Recumpence no idea where he gets it from or sizes available other than the 2 mm i got.

back with more soon...

KiM

Thud said:
But cameras seem to be able to really hear ellectical noise for some reason.
Most cameras (and other consumer-level and "prosumer" sound-recording devices of various types) have an automatic level control with an overly fast response time, so each time a loud noise happens it turns down the analog volume input so it doesn't overload the digital conversion and distort, but it also turns up the volume as far as possible on anything that's below that level.

So small sounds are amplified tremendously, unless there is already ambient sound louder than that to keep it from doing so. Makes it just about impossible to get an accurate idea of the sounds going on around you, from the resulting recording.

The same is usually true of the video portion for brightness and contrast, where a simple white area or light shining into the camera in a much darker frame will cause the whole thing to be darkened out so much you can't really see the rest of it. On some cameras you can turn that part off, but I haven't found any of them with controls for the sound.

To accurately record the sound, you'd probalby have to go get a pro-level recording device, like for studio audio recording, and turn off any compressor function it might have (not uncommon for microphone-level recording equipment). Use that to record audio while using the camera to record video, and then blend the two in your editor, replacing the whole camera audio track with your other one.

I took a onboard video this afternoon, been raining alot
here this week so had to wait till the roads dried a lil-->

[youtube]glewJr_1HDU[/youtube]

First gear 40km/kr second gear so far is 70km/hr but i need more road to find
how much more she has... i think another 5 clicks, too fast now
really but a hell of alot of fun :) I should add, speed limit in the shire is
50km/hr so i could easily be booked for speeding on an e-bike haha

I tried 'fixing' my remote mount Turnigy setup with no luck, i also tot a 3 volt ripple after
doing the re-soldering work of the shunt, i think i will have to bite the bulled and grab a CA and shunt.

Lots of fiberglassing ahead back with more soon...

KiM

Daamn.. you guys got nice roads out there..... :shock:

Running nice and smooth, too bad it lacks the acceleration to 50 kph that my o'l clyte 409 has.. :p

Seriously tho, well done man.. 8) ..

I know it's in these pages back there :oops: , but does the 2 speed shift manually with cable and lever ? or with electric methods ?

Ypedal said:
Daamn.. you guys got nice roads out there..... :shock:

Running nice and smooth, too bad it lacks the acceleration to 50 kph that my o'l clyte 409 has.. :p

Seriously tho, well done man.. 8) ..

I know it's in these pages back there :oops: , but does the 2 speed shift manually with cable and lever ? or with electric methods ?

manually with a cable Y.

showing awsome restraint there kim, i would be WOT banging it into 2nd after 5 minutes. dont worry i know it has alot more go than that, 40kmh 1st gear must be pretty intimidating.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: LOL

cool.. thx.

I just watched it again now that i'm home on the better PC and proper screen with speakers instead of earbuds.. the throttle control sounds nice and smooth..

Does the controller/motor spin for one second or so after you let off the throttle ? or does the power stop instantly ?

My astro/HV110/Fechter box combo has a delay in the power off, you easily get used to it after riding for a few minutes but was anoying at first..

Man that thing really flys!

It's such a work of art AJ, i can' wait to give it a ride. when are you planning to strip it down for paint? Wait till you got the covers done??

D

Rare footage indeed, the HOBO cruiser running for more than 2 minutes without breaking down :lol:

Nice work mate, good to see it finally running properly and the gear shift sorted too. Sounds like you almost need a 3 speed though now :twisted:
Did you get up to 70ks in that footage ? It didn't look that fast ?

Back