Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Thanks for clarifying! I bought a 2€ pot, housed it in a short piece of thin wall electrical tubing, and waterproofed it with an o ring plus vulcanizing tape. Looks awful, but will do until Reinhard's pot is available :)

Gotcha.
I think I've posted this here before, but here's my bar-end solution.
The PAS was an afterthought on this bike, so with no room left for extra controls, I had to squeeze the pot in somewhere...

80-10_endbarpasknob_iv250.png
I wouldn't recommend this exposed position for boonie-bashing, but for more wussy riding it hasn't sustained any damage... :)

teklektik said:
If tweaking efforts are centering around the AutoTrqPAS RPM scaling, I would recommend using a table column more near the center so there's not a huge amount of power gain with RPM. (The leftmost column has no rpm scaling at all). Every situation is different, but RPM scaling is no substitute for real torque sensing - at best it's a way to reduce the amount of adjusting that Assist Level might require for changing conditions. The far right table columns have a lot of gain and it's easy to get in a situation where the bike tends to run away with a cadence increase.

Don't know if that's related to your tuning efforts, but just a thought...

My tweaking games goal is.. I dont know. I can tell when i found settings which i really like :)

Regarding my secret token question, the RFID way sounds great. Much better than my ideas, its nearly on place 1 of my todo

Is there any ETA yet for 3.1 b7?

Is it possible to *input* information to the CA3 over serial? I have applications where additional information is needed and would really like to be able to have a custom field or ability to flash a text string to say the lower field of the LCD for X seconds.

I've considered this very option in the past as a means to share out the CA display for more detailed battery status, etc. The CA doesn't have this feature and there aren't plans at this time to head in this direction because the communication/integration is a more of an OEM than end-user undertaking.

However, if you are looking at more than a one-off build situation, I encourage you to contact Justin about your specific needs. Some effort has been made to arrange the CA so that this kind of feature can be added in a custom firmware release without much difficulty. This includes re-purposing connections as inputs/outputs if a particular feature in the commercial CA version is unnecessary in the custom version (e.g. re-purpose torque sensor as additional temperature sensing, etc).

irq said:
Is there any ETA yet for 3.1 b7?
Nothing solid just now. We need to finish up test on an alpha version and decide whether or not to include another feature or two which will delay things a trifle. So - we'll see how the present testing goes. If it looks good, I'd just as soon do a quick b7 to get what we have into the hands of beta testers ASAP.

If we go down that path, we might see b7 towards the end of this week. At this point I am optimistic things will go this way.

(Did that have enough weasel words in it to make it sound like I said something without really committing to anything at all? :D )

v3.1 Beta 7 Released

3.1b7 is here with a few fixes and a new PASRate parameter. This parameter applies only to PAS while the old UpRate applies to everything else (notably throttle). This eliminates the need to compromise a single UpRate to balance smooth PAS behavior and snappy throttle response.

3-1b7_ThrO_SetupUtility.png
We also revised the Rate flag display on the Diagnostic screen to be less cryptic. Little Rate Flag letters now appear in the space in between 'Out' and the numeric voltage. These are actually quite interesting and show pretty clearly what the CA is actually doing for rate limiting. (It prompted a little re-tuning on my bike...)

• Unfortunately, this release is incompatible with previous 3.1 beta releases so the PITA-re-enter-the-config-manually thing is in play
There's a few more items being implemented and already under test that should be out soon in b8, but I thought we'd get this release out well in time for the US Labor Day holiday riding.

Here's a summary version of the included Release Notes

Release 3.1b7 said:
Note: V3.1b7 Setup files are **incompatible** with firmware or Setup files of **ALL** prior releases.

IMPORTANT: Please install this package according to README_install.txt. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Setup Utility.

IMPORTANT: After installing this zip package on a PC, the Setup utility will no longer be able to properly utilize 3.1 Setup files prepared for prior 3.1 versions. 3.1 settings files prior to 3.1b7 will not display or edit properly and will download to the CA incorrectly resulting in improper CA operation. Similarly, setup files prepared with this release cannot be used with earlier CA 3.1 firmware versions. 3.0 Setup files are unaffected.

>> Any incompatible existing CA setup must be recorded and manually reconfigured over a fresh 'CA3-1b7_firmware.hex' installation.
>> All existing CA Setups prior to 3.1b7 must either be:
  1. exported manually from the CA console (at least the statistics)
  2. OR read by the Setup Utility and preserved in screen snapshots PRIOR to installing this package. Saving to a 3.1 Setup file and reading the file after installing the zip package will not work.

IMPORTANT: Because a CA3-1b7_firmware.hex flash will load default settings, throttle voltage configuration may be incorrect. Treat this as an initial CA installation and place the bike on a stand or otherwise elevate the drive wheel to prevent a runaway when the flash completes and before a proper configuration can be restored.

(1) 2434 - (new) Add PasRate parameter to supersede UpRate in PAS mode
(2) 2458 - Diagnostic Screen Rate Flag display is unclear/unintuitive
(3) 2498 - Spurious AuxA pop-up screens appear randomly
(4) 2500 - Human Watts Display is incorrect
(5) 2512 - cas file ThrO->OutptMode does not properly set Min/Max units

So, take it for a spin and post up any issues. :D

Download!
<<<CA3-b7.zip - withdrawn because of PAS Limit error - will re-post ASAP>>

(Previously implemented 3.1b6 beta features (part of this build) described here and in the Release Notes.)
(Newer 3.1b8 beta release available here!)

• As an aside - there has been some interesting stuff happening recently at Grin. If you haven't seen the video yet, check out the Grin Tech Blog Spot for the amazing Electric Unicycle Project with custom geared pedal motor and special Unicycle CA version!

seems like a killed my CA, its completly dead. batt v+ can be measured within the CA (~60v). i think that a short of the 10v which go to the pas connector caused this.

any hints what i could have killed?

edit: D3 seems to be dead, looks like some kind of protection diode to me. can i replace it for testing with a simple 4148 diode`?

edit2: wasnt able to wait, placed an 4184 as replacement, ca is a little bit alive again. display backlight is on again, but r8 and r9 on the lcd backside gone up in smoke now.

currently nothing is connected to the ca

irq said:
seems like a killed my CA, its completly dead. batt v+ can be measured within the CA (~60v). i think that a short of the 10v which go to the pas connector caused this.

any hints what i could have killed?

edit: D3 seems to be dead, looks like some kind of protection diode to me. can i replace it for testing with a simple 4148 diode`?
Yep - exactly right - it's a protection diode and it's zapped.

Check out this post by JLE on repair strategy with schematic snippet and PCB part placement.
As the post says, just about any diode will work - 1N4148 should be fine (datasheet: Ifwd = 300ma and Vrev = 100V).

q1 is toasted, too

but seems to be a mosfet here, no darlington npn

dn2450

Oops - that's a little more troublesome - it's a DN2470K4 depletion mode FET that's sort of the primary 10V regulator component. This runs the LED backlight and the 5V regulator - and of course the PAS connector.

You are going to need to contact Grin to see the best means to proceed. I know of a member who jury-rigged an external supply in there, but unless you're really desperate, a more conventional repair/replace strategy seems advisable.

Not sure if Justin is in the shop today, but I'd send an email to Grin straightaway to get a plan sorted out.
Bummer.

Ah Jeez - just noticed you're in Germany - so maybe Reinhard at e-bike-technologies.de ?

ah damnit :(

yep going to contact reinhard, thats where i bought it anyway

the external power supply was my first thought after i have measured out that its not just the diode

sent out mails :( need to do something different, before i start trying stupid things

BTW folks-
We are looking for suggestions for additional Preset names.
We presently have:

• <blank>
  • Low
  • Medium
  • High
  • Economy
  • OffRoad
  • Unlmted
  • Legal
  • Pdl Ast
  • Trq Ast
  • Power
  • Current
  • Speed
As you can see, some of these are a bit ho-hum just reflect major CA operating modes...
So - post up your Good Idea here and maybe you'll be able to select it from the CA Preset Name menu! :D

ok, could not resist in trying...

i found the thread where external power supply was described, so i hooked 12v on the output of q1 (q1 completly removed). replaced r9 with 300 ohms

backlit turns on, normal brightness. thats it

theres a thin yellow wire which goes to the ca 6pin connector, i am not sure if i accidently ripped it or if its just not in use. anyway, its not hooked anywhere on the ca pcb. should it? if yes, on which pad?

edit:

c8 measures short, too

thinking about to burry it

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://abload.de/img/4e37f2f59b29226d57e6cbium0.jpg
http://abload.de/image.php?img=607990adaa659a4cc0a776lu9x.jpg

ok its ghetto. but shows that its still alive

Ah, sweet success! :D
Well done.

irq said:
theres a thin yellow wire which goes to the ca 6pin connector, i am not sure if i accidently ripped it or if its just not in use. anyway, its not hooked anywhere on the ca pcb. should it? if yes, on which pad?
It's connected to a hall signal on the controller end but is not used in the CA_DPS model. In the CA-DP model it ties to the Sp input. See "Appendix B. Add/Remove Wheel Speed Pickup Sensor".

teklektik said:
We are looking for suggestions for additional Preset names.
<snip>
So - post up your Good Idea here and maybe you'll be able to select it from the CA Preset Name menu! :D
I'm being a bit silly, but:
-Commuter
-ShoppingTrip
-DeathRace

(Sometimes it might be more economical to force myself to use a slightly more limited power level when I'm on a long-round-trip of shopping where time is not really an issue, to prevent worries about range, vs my commuter when I don't need much range but do sometimes need the power to get out of the way of traffic. The last one is more a joke ;) .)

teklektik said:
Ah, sweet success! :D
Well done.

irq said:
It's connected to a hall signal on the controller end but is not used in the CA_DPS model. In the CA-DP model it ties to the Sp input. See "Appendix B. Add/Remove Wheel Speed Pickup Sensor".

okay, it looked like it could be unused. but there was little solder on the end of the wire so i was unsure. the ca is currently feed directly with 12v, meanwhile justin also replied and offered a spare part care pack :) which i highly appreciate, but from CA to DE this whould take a while. and i have seen that others where considering standard fets like 3307 as replacement.

/ offtopic

btw, for smd based pcb its still great to do service on. after my first view on the pcb i thought oh f... smd everywhere. but after a closer look i realized that its designed to be repairable. not very usual nowadays (i initially started my work live with tv / vcr / dvd and so on repairs, not replacing moduls - measure out what is blown and replace only what is needed to. but with modern products this tends to be more and more impossible). so lots of words, its great to see that not everything is made to get thrown away after its broken :)

Question: if shorting the 5 or 10V has such nasty results, why isn't a simple fuse holder & fuse integrated in the CA3? Room enough I'd guess, either on or off the circuit board.

Jackass said:
Question: if shorting the 5 or 10V has such nasty results, why isn't a simple fuse holder & fuse integrated in the CA3? Room enough I'd guess, either on or off the circuit board.

5v is protected afaik, 10v not

Something with AuxD -> PAS Level seems frocked. AuxD seems to not scale the assist factor since 3.1b7. It seems to be scaling the maximum amps o_O. Will retest and post a repro.

lightrush said:
Something with AuxD -> PAS Level seems frocked. AuxD seems to not scale the assist factor since 3.1b7. It seems to be scaling the maximum amps o_O. Will retest and post a repro.
Yep - Reproduced. Definitely something hinky there.

I see the issue -- A new limit mode had been added but not yet fully tested. To get a simpler version for a more timely b7 release, that particular limit feature was rolled back - but incorrectly. The result is the PAS Limit problem you reported - other limits should be okay, but more to follow...

I'll get on this tomorrow. (Rats)

Good catch. Thanks!

JeffH said:
A user definable preset name would be nice for me. :)
Yep - problem is that we are running out of configuration memory, so a custom name is very expensive because it takes a lot of room, but a small index into a table of fixed names already exists - so the 'fixed name' approach is 'free' and wins...
We'll use the 'saved' memory for other more interesting features. :)

Back