Help needed to add cruise control on my ebike

The CA cruise control could be perfected with a seemingly simple firmware upgrade, and with a compatible controller (meaning one where variable regen can be controlled via the CA), it could work as well or maybe better than cruise in a car. The upgrade would allow cruise to be activated by a press (or double press/long press, etc.) of the digital aux input, instead of long hold of the throttle, which is virtually impossible to set for slower speeds when running 72V. Plus it would avoid unintentional activation at full throttle.

Cruise could be speed based, so speed would be maintained speed regardless of terrain, up to the power and regen capabilities of the controller. Temp limits, rollback, etc. would be automatically applied as needed. Cruise on my old controller basically worked that way, up to maybe a 10% uphill or 15% downhill grade, so it definitely only allowed a limited amount of extra power to maintain speed., but way better than the CA's throttle/power based cruise. A modified CA cruise could deal with 20% or more uphill (provided you have the power) in order to maintain speed, and have the roll back safeguards.
Speed based cruise control is already possible with a CA, just set the speed limit to your desired cruise speed and let the CA do its throttle hold function at full throttle. You can adjust the speed limit with an aux potentiometer.

Speed based cruise control is already possible with a CA, just set the speed limit to your desired cruise speed and let the CA do its throttle hold function at full throttle. You can adjust the speed limit with an aux potentiometer.
I'll give it a try, although I hate having cruise control start automatically, which for me is too dangerous. So the CA cruise will automatically regen when going downhill?

I'll give it a try, although I hate having cruise control start automatically, which for me is too dangerous. So the CA cruise will automatically regen when going downhill?
You need to enable regen limiting in speed limit settings, but yes. I agree, it needs to be a button input to start.

Last edited:
Once I learn enough arduino coding from working out the Snuggles project, I'll go revisit my Nano Tidbits thread for CA addons and see if I can make a sketch that gives you a button to effectively do that, in a simplistic way.

The hardware would need an IO each for activation button, up/down buttons, analog throttle in and out.

Activation would capture the present throttle value and hold it there. up/down would increment that by whatever amount is decided useful. Activation button a second time disengages and presents live throttle voltage again.

Any options for behavior would have to be programmed in by setting values in the sketch before compiling and uploading, as there wouldn't be a screen or setup UI.

The output of this would just go to the CA input so the CA still does all the CA things. The CA would have to not have it's cruise function enabled for this to be useful/safe. To hold a specific speed the CA would have to be set to speed throttle mode (vs current or power).

If you can find any of the old Crystalyte cruise control modules, they would do the same thing, but also have an ebrake input to let the ebrake shut off the output--you don't actually need that if you have the ebrake feeding the CA, since the CA would do that anyway.

Back