How to repair broken LiPo tabs

DrKraut

1 W
This will be a guide on fixing broken off LiPo tabs.
Recently I just had some Lipo pouches laying around but some of them had broken off tabs, so i can't use them properly. And because the broken off tabs are made with aluminium we can't solder them properly.
All in all thats very bad because the cell itself is in good shape but i cant use it properly.

So here's how i repaired the broken of taps.

The plan is to drill a small hole into the broken aluminium tab and put in a M2 metric threaded screw and secure it with some loctite and a screw nut.
And because I had no nut laying around for a M2 thread i made my own.

So heres what you will need:

-a broken LiPo, of course ;)
-a drill
-a drill bit with 1,5mm for a M2 metric thread, could also M3
-a M2 or M3 thread cutter
-a piece of aluminium or copper if you don't have a M2 nut, so we can make our own
-a saw and a file

At first drill the hole into the tab: ! take care not damage the sealed foil of the cell
View attachment 2
Then drill a 1,5mm hole in the aluminium and make the M2 thread, then saw it of and file it a bit:
P5280057.geaendert.JPG
Finally put some Loctite on the screw, put it through the hole, then make it tight.
Thats it now you're done:
P5280061.geaendert.gedreht.JPG

Also make sure you can solder on the screw, because if you can't it would be very bad :roll:
You could also use a copper "nut" instead of aluminium so you can solder on it.

I hope you enjoyed reading even if english is not my mother tongue ;)

Interesting and thanks for the idea! I've gotta recreational brick which I reversed polarity and blew a tab off - this might just salvage it?

SlowCo said:
Nice handy work.
But if there is some of the aluminium tab left, soldering is an option apparently:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68714

Yes i also read it and knew there would be the option, but you never know how good this bond is.
I also had no special flux around and i needed it fast, so i came to this idea :D
And the mechanical properties of an screw are superior to a solder joint.

Back