LightningRods mid drive kit

MitchJi said:
LightningRods said:
These Patterson 2 speed BB transmissions are cool but won't work with a mid drive that needs to drive through the BB.
Are you sure that's correct?

I can't tell if you ended up answering your own question but yes I'm sure. The Stokemonkey works with the Patterson because it comes after the BB instead of before it. There needs to not only be a third chainring. In a mid drive that runs through the BB all three chainrings need to be isolated from the axle and the crank arms by a freewheel in the BB.

jdevo2004 said:
LightningRods said:
It does not look good that orders are coming in while no orders are actually going out.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow here in Norway.

jdevo2004 said:
I appreciate that what you are doing is cutting edge technology and that it is hard to start up a new business. I do not want to tell you how to do your job but you have mentioned for weeks that you have all the parts in stock and it is just a matter of putting the parts together and shipping them out. These kits are not 10,000 piece puzzles that take a week each to assemble. You really need to put them together and get them out the door. Delay after delay is not good for business and makes people like me antsy. This LightningRods mid drive kit is your bread and butter and should be your highest priority to get into your customers hands. It does not look good that orders are coming in while no orders are actually going out.

LR won't say it so I will:

These are custom designed and assembled by a skilled craftsman in a small shop. Have a little patience. If we weren't so use to instant everything - fast food, amazon same-day shipping via drones, we might actually have a little respect for something that takes time to get right have a well-built product. I don't think it's unreasonable to wait several weeks or more for a kit like this.

teslanv said:
jdevo2004 said:
I appreciate that what you are doing is cutting edge technology and that it is hard to start up a new business. I do not want to tell you how to do your job but you have mentioned for weeks that you have all the parts in stock and it is just a matter of putting the parts together and shipping them out. These kits are not 10,000 piece puzzles that take a week each to assemble. You really need to put them together and get them out the door. Delay after delay is not good for business and makes people like me antsy. This LightningRods mid drive kit is your bread and butter and should be your highest priority to get into your customers hands. It does not look good that orders are coming in while no orders are actually going out.

LR won't say it so I will:

These are custom designed and assembled by a skilled craftsman in a small shop. Have a little patience. If we weren't so use to instant everything - fast food, amazon same-day shipping via drones, we might actually have a little respect for something that takes time to get right have a well-built product. I don't think it's unreasonable to wait several weeks or more for a kit like this.

No doubt, couldnt have said it better.

I can attest to production taking longer than expected much of the time.

My Motoped was supposed to arrive early May. I just received it less than a week ago. Production delays.......

Also, tomorrow I am finishing up an incredibly expensive project bike I originally quoted the client 4 to 6 months to build---- 16 months ago! I had no idea I would need to move my shop and buy some new equipment as well as design new stuff, etc to accomplish this build.

Many things get in the way on these projects. It will all come together. Give it patience.

Matt

and once again ecospeed takes 2 MONTHS lead time after years being in business, they only now initiated a kickstarter for mass production.

by jdevo2004 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:16 am

Are there some QC issues with the first kits?

Are you talking about these issues ? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61364

And guys - we're not talking about a big company production line. We're talking about a very small craft shop. This is the first time LR's putting these kits together and he's discovering and fixing problems as he goes along. Product is shipping, but progress is - and probably will be for a while- slow. It's the nature of the exercise. Let's let him get the routine tuned.

Patience, friends.

Gonna have to go with jdevo2004 on this subject.

While I applaud everyone's desire to work with LR's process and admonish the need for patience, how many of you have your kits ordered, and pre-paid $800 smackaroos?

Mine was placed in april. Not several weeks, its been nearly three months now. Does anyone here think that 90 + days wait for a prepaid item is a normal and acceptable period?

That list contains nearly $10k in orders, only two of which seem to have landed in the purchasers hands.

I don't want to create additional pressure on LR here. But on the flip side, continuing to promote the "its okay to be WAY behind schedule" message does not echo all of the sentiments of those of us waiting for a kit.

Len

Lenk42602 said:

While I applaud everyone's desire to work with LR's process and admonish the need for patience, how many of you have your kits ordered, and pre-paid $800 smackaroos?

Mine was placed in april. Not several weeks, its been nearly three months now. Does anyone here think that 90 + days wait for a prepaid item is a normal and acceptable period?

That list contains nearly $10k in orders, only two of which seem to have landed in the purchasers hands.

I don't want to create additional pressure on LR here. But on the flip side, continuing to promote the "its okay to be WAY behind schedule" message does not echo all of the sentiments of those of us waiting for a kit.

Len

normal and acceptable compared to what exactly? if you have any other baseline which also deals with the same complexity of a production line just being created as we are talking based on only one individual without experience in similar matters who also makes his own parts please mention.
as i said before ,the only baseline I have, is ecospeed, and they are a FIVE people operation (accounting,sales,production,logistics,R&D) , after years of practice, they still churn out kits in 2 months lead time. which cost twice more. is THAT normal and acceptable? people seem to think so, as they still to purchase from them.

emaayan said:
normal and acceptable compared to what exactly? if you have any other baseline which also deals with the same complexity of a production line just being created as we are talking based on only one individual without experience in similar matters who also makes his own parts please mention.

as i said before ,the only baseline I have, is ecospeed, and they are a FIVE people operation (accounting,sales,production,logistics,R&D) , after years of practice, they still churn out kits in 2 months lead time. which cost twice more. is THAT normal and acceptable? people seem to think so, as they still to purchase from them.

I don't have any other baseline, and quite frankly its not my obligation to have or provide one. I am not debating here.

yeah, that seems normal and acceptable. Regarding cost, prices are set by the seller, not the buyer.

cheers

len

oh btw, i forgot to mention, Matt Shumaker also gives around 60 days lead time, so yea,so i think 3 months lead time for a first time production line including first problems makes sense.

Lenk42602 said:

Len

I'm sorry to have to provide bad feedback as well.

I too also placed my order back in April and after weeks and weeks and weeks of delays, delays, a family emergency came up which ultimately forced me to pull out of the order.

I don't think you guys are understanding the issue at hand. Many of you are too quick to take sides. But let me explain to you the exact scenario of why customers like us and others are agitated.

Back in April, on this forum, I visted the website http://www.lightningrodev.com/ and there it said in big black bold letters, "The Lightning Rods Mid Drive is now available!". I contacted Michael and the FIRST thing I asked was, what was the lead time? Initially back in late April 2014, he said he'll have it ready by 2 weeks. At the time, I was #10 in line. That sounded reasonable. 2 weeks.

2 weeks passes, and as such we all periodically check the forum. Another 2 weeks passes, and you know, his suppliers are not meeting the dates. 2 weeks passes some more and he has to find a new supplier. Each time I asked Michael for status, MIchael was very good at persuading me that the order was going to head out that door any day now. So I stayed with the order...

1.5 months passed, and we are now in mid-June. I'm starting to get a bit agitated as the bottom my stomach thinks, is this a scam? Maybe, maybe not. Continuing to check this forum always gets responses like "The kit is shipping now...", "The kit is shipping tomorrow..", "the kit is shipping next week". etc.

Each time I get a status update, I'm told just a few more days, which by now, I realize that I need to take that "few more days" and multiply it by a factor of 4 to get 2 weeks. And now 2 months in, a family emergency came up which for me was a blessing and I had asked Michael for a full refund, and he did oblige.

The problem is NOT that we are not supporting it. And I must mention Michael's service and communication is great and stuff. The problem, from a customer's perspective, is this:

1. If a customer visits your website and sees a product "is available now", then IS it really available now or is it really a pre-order? I think from the get-go, it should have been clarified that it was a pre-order. It would then have been best for Michael to give a "ballpark" estimate. In that case, based on what we know now, that ballpark estimate should be 4 months lead time starting from the day of order. As a business owner, starting out, even from all the episodes I watch on shark tank, you must be able to build inventory and provide a proper lead time.

2. If it is a pre-order, then LR should not be collecting $800+ dollars. Nobody likes to have that kind of money tied up for the full purchase price. As a pre-order, it should start with something like a non-refundable $50 deposit provided that the lead time is met. If the lead time is not met, the deposit must be refunded in full. I would have been much, more happier with that. I think this is the biggest problem is that many people have such a large amount of money tied up like that, to someone we don't know, never met, and promised us a too-optimistic delivery date. The fact that LR was collecting the full purchase price without having figured out who was machining/building those metal parts for him was a big, big red flag in my opinion. Unlike top companies where you are "pre-ordering" for a Playstation 5 or Xbox 6, you know they already have the product ready and are just preparing for shipping. A launch/shipping date is announced. However, Microsoft or Sony are not going to collect $500 today and tell you that they'll be shipping you the Xbox 6 in 3 years... no..they don't do that. They develop the Xbox 6, and when they're confident they got the inventory and product ready, then they provide a pre-order date and an official launch date. Unless the freighter boat coming from China sinks, they will guarantee to meet that launch date.

3. It is unfortunate that we have to come out like this and voice our disappointments, but I think myself and many others can take good experience from this when we start a business.

What I learned from this experience from a business owner's perspective:

1. If I don't have the products, materials, assembled, and ready to ship, then it is not considered "available now". It is considered "available for pre-order".

2. Next, I need to factor in how long it takes to order the parts, how long it takes to assemble, then add a budget time of ~30% in case of delays. So if it takes 3-5 weeks to get all the parts and assemble, then I will tell the customer, you're looking at 8 weeks. That way, the customer knows what to expect and doesn't become disgruntled about a bad estimate of delivery.

The problem was, we just kept fed the "it's almost out the door now", "it's shipping soon", "it will be shipping soon", "it's shipping next week", "it's shipping first thing tomorrow", stories all day long.

I totally understand this is a side-hobby/start-up of a company. But as a business owner, you can't string your customers along with false promises. It would have been best to just tell everyone "hey, it's gonna take about 3-4 months, but you can put $50 down to get in line. " That would've made everyone feel better.

If I had known the 2 weeks was going to turn into 2 months, and now assuming if I am still in line today, it's turning out to be 3 months now, then I would've never placed the order. What I would have done was, wait until Michael got all his production ready, sorted out, and then ordered it when he had an INVENTORY to clear out.

I just didn't know it was turning into a kick-starter project. That's not what I signed up for.

Lenk42602 said:

Yes, I know from experience that is pretty standard for the ebike hobby. :lol: I think I waited a year for the 54xx motors, and at least 6 months for the CroMotor V1, and the Farfle swingarms, and countless battery purchases and lacing jobs. I bet if I went through my purchasing spreadsheet I could easily come up with 100 major buys that I had to wait 6+ months for.

The nature of our hobby is that we need stuff that is cutting edge - which realistically means "in development" - and consequently is small-batch custom made, which means unexpected obstacles, supply problems, re-work, etc. It always takes longer than expected, but never as long as it would take if I manufactured it myself. I know it is hard to be patient, buy if I were in this wait list I would just be glad I found someone I could pay to make the parts for me. :D

Those who can't stomach the wait might be happier in a 20mph factory bike they can buy off-the-shelf, before they get sucked into a hobby steeped in long procurement delays.

-JD

nukezero said:
The problem is NOT that we are not supporting it. And I must mention Michael's service and communication is great and stuff. The problem, from a customer's perspective, is this:

2. If it is a pre-order, then LR should not be collecting $800+ dollars. Nobody likes to have that kind of money tied up for the full purchase price. As a pre-order, it should start with something like a non-refundable $50 deposit provided that the lead time is met. If the lead time is not met, the deposit must be refunded in full. I would have been much, more happier with that. I think this is the biggest problem is that many people have such a large amount of money tied up like that, to someone we don't know, never met, and promised us a too-optimistic delivery date.
3. It is unfortunate that we have to come out like this and voice our disappointments, but.....

I just didn't know it was turning into a kick-starter project. That's not what I signed up for.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

for me, i used the time to learn more about the kit, and even add more parts ,considering the fact that spinningmagnets already got his parts, and that we've seen the actual parts and kits being produced and ready made, that other kits have already been shippED (past) ,and that other users already have L-R's kit in it's pre-established form, then i'd have to say the L-R doens't look like a Nigerian prince. as long as i get status report on hold ups, then i'm assured something is progressing.

Hindsight is 20/20.
I'm sure he's learned a ton in this venture.
I've been in his shoes as an entrepreneur and it isn't any cake walk. I've also dealt with entrepreneurs before and it isn't any cakewalk. I now work at a Fortune 500 company and it sure as shit isn't any cake walk either.

It sounds like a load of first world problems.
From the get-go it's been evident that this kit is in prototype first-run production. I don't understand where you guys are getting the idea that he's had a shelf full of kits ready to go. Mike's provided almost daily feedback on his progress and obstacles from day 1.

Perhaps some if you would be better off getting a refund and another kit. 'The customer is always right' bullshit is a cash-flow scheme, fact is that most of you don't have a clue what it takes to manufacture a product to market.

r3volved said:
Hindsight is 20/20.
I'm sure he's learned a ton in this venture.
I've been in his shoes as an entrepreneur and it isn't any cake walk. I've also dealt with entrepreneurs before and it isn't any cakewalk. I now work at a Fortune 500 company and it sure as shit isn't any cake walk either.

sorry had to be said, i regret nothing..

The_Cake_is_a_Lie_wallpaper_by_DEVILUSHNINJA.png

Yup, I run 60 days for most orders. In my case it is waiting on motors. Of course, I quote 60 days up front.

It is natural to be annoyed at the situation. I can comprehend that. This is such a small cottage industry that it gets hard to balance everything when it is not your main occupation.

Frustration is understandable.

Matt

Mike is investing a significant amount of money buying equipment to eliminate as many of the outside vendors that have disappointed him time and time again. Here's a heart-breaker from May 16, two months ago:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57720&start=400#p895300
I got fed up with this shop taking 3 weeks to make my parts and went to another laser shop. At the end of 6 weeks I had nothing from the second shop. Our business is small potatoes. Every time a $100,000 job comes in we get bumped.

[May 11] this bike hobby has taken over my art studio, my garage, my friend Steve's garage and a 10' x 20' canopy out on my back deck...I've been continuing to work my commercial art business to pay for building the bike business

[May 30] My ability to move kits is limited by the number of "can't get 'em" parts I have Steve making by hand on his lathe. Jackshaft spindle, motor shaft, jackshaft housing, threaded lockrings, bored and broached pulleys and sprockets [June 2] Steve is wading into this pile of motors and pressing their motor shafts out so that they can be annealed and machined [then re-hardened]

[May 24] I seriously woke in the middle of the night one night in a cold sweat about someone getting hurt by an uncovered drive sprocket or pulley. [May 31] I'm throwing the guards in for free for my early adopters because they are safety items and I don't think the kit should be run without them.

[May 30] I'm jammed up on motor shafts. Anyone know of a good steel machine shop on the west coast of the US?

[June 4] With my old hardware you couldn't access the allen cap heads with the chainwheels in place and were forced to grab the cap head with pliers or long nose channel locks to tighten the adjuster nut. I found low profile carriage bolts that work perfect. They're a weird part and so special order

[June 4] I found that I need a rotary table for my mill to finish the motors...which will be here next Tuesday-Wednesday

[June 11] My machinist is bringing over a pile of jackshaft housings and shafts today. We ran into a problem in that the shafts shrank .007" when we hardened them! I keep learning lessons that I don't necessarily want to learn. We had to throw out a dozen hand made shafts because they were undersize

[June 12] Here are some shots...our combo lathe/mill...our 20-ton shop press

It's true that I have the first kit, but I also paid in full back in December, over 6 months ago...If anyone is in a bind and needs their deposit back, PM me and I can buy one customers place in line. Mike has not advertised outside of endless-sphere [yet], and he will be sold out as soon as the production bugs are ironed out.

Sigh...
Mike, if I can do anything to help you with your production, please let me know. I think you have a great product, and look forward to placing my order soon.

Back