Looking for info about Revolt motors

Subscribed!

I just posted some Revolt 120 motor info on the previous page... meant to start a new post, but accidentally posted it as an edit to my previous one.

Unfortunately I can't test it, because the 6FET sensorless controller I ordered from em3EV.com just to test it with, arrived completely DOA.

Someone should really tip the revolt guys off that they should register here and assist in testing their product - there are a lot of potential buyers just waiting. If they dont have test equipment they can just benefit from this communitys helpfulness, sending a 120 and a 100 motor and controllers to someone with testin equipmemt. They cant expect scalong production and sales with a product without information - its like selling a blu ray movie without knowin what movie is on the disc, or even if its dvd or blu ray. Just send it to someone with a blu ray player already..
The only benefit of not knowing, is plausible denial when confronted of selling crap - this is making people suspicious.

0.5mm laminations???! NOT good!

Magnets not glued?? NOT good!

helpfulguy said:
Someone should really tip the revolt guys off that they should register here and assist in testing their product ......

I and at least one other person in this thread mentioned it to Alexey.. I got no response on that particular, although he is quite responsive to all of my questions, and friendly in general.

h0tr0d said:
Magnets not glued?? NOT good!
That one may have been just accidentally missed. The others won't budge.

Or the bond weakened when I was warming the stripped screw heads with the heat gun, although I doubt it, as I doubt it got to more than 200F at most, and just concentrated the heat on the screws, which were both a couple of inches away from where the loose magnet was.

RLT said:
helpfulguy said:
Someone should really tip the revolt guys off that they should register here and assist in testing their product ......

I and at least one other person in this thread mentioned it to Alexey.. I got no response on that particular, although he is quite responsive to all of my questions, and friendly in general.

I was experiencing the same kind of selective responsiveness - when inquires about technical data there were none-, or elusive answers at best. This made me suspicious. Along with the 2+ months delivery - you can litterally walk across europe in that time, including sleep and pauses (source https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110102650AAxYDZF). And along with your inquires to better. I am regarding this motor as all other stuff = shit until PROVEN otherwise. If he can't/won't prove it and show zero interest in helping others prove it, I have to conclude he does not want it tested and therefore is shit. Simple logic. You don't go into a gold store to buy a ring and when you want to see the certificates/stamps he can't show it to you. When you say you have a friend with you that can determine if it's good, and he denies. If you still want to buy blind, then it's 2 months delivery time after payment. By then logic kicks in and you kick the hell out of that store. Further, in this case we are several people that have been into that store with the same experiences.

Well, you can't really blame Revolt for the slow postal services.

He had mine in the mail, and a tracking number to me within a few hours of my order. Just because it sat in the Israel postal system for a month isn't his fault (And maybe not even the Israel Postal System's fault... it is possible that service had been disrupted by rockets and other nice little surprises) . He warned me that it would take at least a month, more likely a month and a half by regular mail, and recommended EMS... But I wasn't in a hurry for it, so I didn't mind waiting.

As to the motor itself, I think your term for calling it 'fecal matter' might be a little premature. Other than a few small problems, it seems well built, smooth turning and solid to me. Of course I haven't had a chance to even power it on, much less use it in a real world application yet.
As the Zen Master said:

Like I said earlier, I'd love for us to throw one of these things on Thud's dyno and see what its actual torque, RPM, power, and efficiency curves are like when run with a nice field-oriented controller. Part of the reason I feel so strongly about this is that to get a motor of this size and weight putting out that much power you either need to spend $150-200 more on a 120mm Hobbyking outrunner (and if you think Alexey's store is dodgy...) or shell out well over a grand for bespoke model airplane motors like the Joby stuff.

I got the motor put back together, and the 6FET Infineon sensorless controller working.

Posted a bad video of it at youtube
http://youtu.be/wCPxDpGVt1Q

Pretty noisy.. but I may have messed up the bearings putting the motor back together, and / or the kludged together mount may be adding to it.
I definitely think mounting it with a bearing on the 'back end like Wheazel did on the previous page is a real good idea..

72V battery pack Battery pack is made up of 24S 7 year old Headway 38120 LiFe cells, which should explain the sag to 62V you see when I'm paging through the Cycle Analyst screens. (Those Headways sagged pretty significantly when they were asked to supply over 1C even when they were new.)

No load, full throttle, the motor pulls ~4A at 74V. The peak ~28 amps was done just by holding the motor by hand from a stop, and holding as tight as I could. Being sensorless, it does have some problem starting under torque, but I was pleasantly surprised that with about 1/4 throttle it would still manage to overpower my holding it..

The motor did get a little warmer than I would like for the little bit of work it did... but again, I may have not done the bearings a favor trying to get the motor back together, and I don't know how hot outrunners normally run.

My 120 arrived today. Shipped on April 20 by mail. The tracking for mail is useless other than to verify that it's been shipped. There's not much mail from Israel to Costa Rica, so routing through the UK and who knows where else made for a long trip. I'm sure most other will get their motors much quicker. I wasn't worried, and I'm happy as could be since it came in with no import duties or taxes to pay. FWIW I also saved the Paypal bankster fees and sent cash by Western Union, which these days is quite cheap.

It may be a while, but I'll figure out a way to implement it on something fun. I just wish I'd waited to order until the sensored version came out. Maybe no hall sensors is enough to get me going on a Lebowski controller, since he's made hall sensors obsolete which eliminates their lack of perfect timing.

John in CR said:
..... I just wish I'd waited to order until the sensored version came out. ....

Yeah, me too...
Although I'll admit that I was surprised how well even a little 6FET sensorless Infineon could start it up.

A little stutter at low throttle, but at 1/4 throttle or so, it was enough toeasily overpower my hand trying to hold it at stop.
(Although a 300 pound weight on a 26 inch wheel might be more than it can handle without the halls.)
(I have an 18 FET Lyen sensorless for it now, but haven't gotten around to trying it out).

Starting up no-load or just your hand on the shell tells little. The sensorless controllers I've tried sucked at any meaningful power with a load, so until proven otherwise they are pedal first and low power, or in the case of my Greentimes, a way to get home in the event of a hall failure. I only have faith in Lebowski's for quality sensorless operation, but that's down the road for me.

These have a ton of flux coming through the can, so exterior halls should work pretty well, especially since I don't want to take it to more than about 3krpm under load. Maybe I'll just put it in a boat and use an RC controller and forget the sensors. Swinging a prop is a whole lot easier than getting me and a 100+lb bike going from 0.

boisrondevens said:
Any news?
Well it seems they now have sensored an "Pro" versions of both motors on offer.
Best of all, there are now diagrams: http://www.revolt.org.il/graphs-for-rv-120/
8)
I probably would have bought a RV-100 of it wasn't a little too big for my current mount.
Want to get the bike going quickly now.

Sorry, this question might be naive, but I have only got hands-on experience with hub motors, not such (RC-Style) outrunners.
In many other threads I have read that these RC-Style outrunners produce their own special "noise"
The video that was posted by RLT above seems to attest to that this is also true for this motor.

Would a sine-wave controller like the Adaptto or the Sabvoton make this motor run more quiet?

I found a video that shows a Rotomax driven by a sine-wave controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcT03by7MP8
That one seems to be more quiet than other videos I have seen of the Rotomax motors.
Has anyone tried a side-by-side comparison of an outrunner with e.g. Infineon controller vs a sine-controller?

Thanks for any info!
Ulli

up0 said:
Sorry, this question might be naive, but I have only got hands-on experience with hub motors, not such (RC-Style) outrunners.
In many other threads I have read that these RC-Style outrunners produce their own special "noise"
The video that was posted by RLT above seems to attest to that this is also true for this motor.

Would a sine-wave controller like the Adaptto or the Sabvoton make this motor run more quiet?

I found a video that shows a Rotomax driven by a sine-wave controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcT03by7MP8
That one seems to be more quiet than other videos I have seen of the Rotomax motors.
Has anyone tried a side-by-side comparison of an outrunner with e.g. Infineon controller vs a sine-controller?

Thanks for any info!
Ulli

It's a little off-topic, but yes, sine-wave tends to run these and hub motors more quiet. Check for threads of people using the Sabvoton - one report is from a guy with a scooter/hub motor.
Edit: found it - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38617&p=947655&hilit=+sabvoton+silent#p947655

Wow! That is incredibly clean and compact!

Is it fully functional like that?

Any performance data etc. to share?
I was going to use a two stage gear reduction on mine, but if yours works OK, I'd rather not go through all the extra stuff.

Please share all you are willing.

Does anyone with one of these have experience with RC motors? More than anything else the melon/pumpkin/whatever you like to call it 80100C? A comparison would be interesting.

Dauntless said:
Does anyone with one of these have experience with RC motors? More than anything else the melon/pumpkin/whatever you like to call it 80100C? A comparison would be interesting.

Agreed; I'm looking at building a custom mid-drive and probably using an RV120 mated to a Lebowski controller, and I'd really like to know how much power you can safely pull out of it.

ARod1993 said:
Dauntless said:

Agreed; I'm looking at building a custom mid-drive and probably using an RV120 mated to a Lebowski controller, and I'd really like to know how much power you can safely pull out of it.

The rv-120 is the way to go. No big reduction. No sync problems. Raw power!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64342

Back