Miles' DIY motor thread

drewjet said:
What about taking an existing stator that is near the specs you are looking for and remaching it.
I wanted to explore the possibilities of a small axial flux motor. If I could find an example to play with, I would, but they aren't very common... Starting from scratch is a more interesting challenge, though... :)

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I just spoked with guy with wire cut. He never cutted souch laminated part. another thing it is that he needs to mount third axis but this is not problem. Part can be submersed completly in fluid so cooling is not problem. this is machine
robocutalpha0id.jpg

This one?

18.jpg

19.jpg

Kvočić's machine ;)

Latest thinking on the one-piece core design (see pic below). I decided to go with 18 slots.

[Lamination thickness representational, only :wink: ]

Attachments

• One-piece 18 slot core 3.jpg
    One-piece 18 slot core 3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,213
I like it Miles.
Nice set up to try Lap winds verses single tooth set ups.
Now to engineer an adjustable air gap for mechanical feild weakening. :p

Thud said:
Now to engineer an adjustable air gap for mechanical feild weakening. :p
Yes, I've started thinking about that... :) Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange....

This design will be great for experimenting with different rotors, too.....

How's your motor design coming on?

I havn't made time to get the cores procesed.
life tends to get in the way of these things. I am planing to finish the assembly of my wire coating set up today though, way overdue for an update.

TylerDurden said:
Will vanes be integrated into the rotor for moving air?
I'm still considering how best to implement that - it's certainly a possibility.

At least, full advantage is taken of the ambient airflow, as well as having a good thermal path from the core.

I haven't started looking, yet..... Any ideas? I was going to get in touch with Proto-Lam first. I need a 10 meter long strip of 18mm wide, 0.2mm thick, silicon steel.......

Miles,

It looked like your intention with the rotor shape, you would be adding a turbine at some point.

I couldn't resist seeing how it would look before then. I wonder if the rpms would be high enough to give it some turbo whine?

%2AAF1_20exploded_20view.jpg-1.0_%28RGB%2C_3_layers%29_800x634_%E2%80%93_GIMP-20100225-150230.jpg

The image is a little off, turbine height should be less, about the height of the magnets and magnet tray combined. The top of the turbine should be flush with the top of the stator, with some kind of exit vanes between the magnet tray and rotor end.

jsplifer,

:D

I definitely need to do some research on fan aerodynamics.......

The motor speed will be up to about 7000 rpm, hopefully.....

I'll probably get a motor working in a basic form before I get too involved in additional cooling.

That is one way but I was thinking on fan like centrifugal pump to suck air near the axle from middle of the coils and throw it out radialy. just like jsplifer draw but to use your "green stuff" and to reduce air resistance. That turbine will have huge losses.

Let's see if the motor design is worth making a fancy rotor for......

I'm worried that the bearing losses might be quite high? The angular contact bearing has to take all the axial force between the magnets and the core....

Back