New crystalyte motor - G series

Wait, luke, LFP luke. THE luke. On a 200w skinnybike? I would NOT have called that one.

justin_le said:
liveforphysics said:
Any chance of throwing the Tongxin/Cute motor into the simulator? I'm riding a light weight road bicycle now that could use a feather weight front hub helper. The lightest quiet hub that can do just 200w of output for 10minutes is what I'm looking for.

Luke, I was presuming that your tongue was firmly in cheek here. But indeed, post a picture here of yourself lycra clad on a skinny tire road bicycle and I will bend over to put anything up on the simulator for you!

-Justin

I don't own any lycra to wear for the picture, but just for you my friend, I will pick some up, squeeze into it, and take the photo for you. :)

I actually enjoy the bike a lot. It's pretty amazing how well it works. I would say 1/5th the pedal effort of deathbike to cover the same distance unpowered. The only deficiency with the bike is the small gas tank capacity, clogged air filter, and tiny fuel-line diameter of the human engine driving the cranks. lol I figure a 200w hub will double what I'm able to contribute for any moderate amount of time.

It's just a couple orders of magnitude off the power output of my other bicycle. :) Still fun! :)

just à little question , have you an idea why I don't find the motor on the crystalyte website ? it's will stop ?

Just wondering if a small DD motor makes any sense?

I mean, it's as heavy as a BPM. So if you get a BPM or a Mac you'll be more efficient and have much better acceleration.

If you want to go lightweight, you'll want to have a small geared motor such as a cute100 which would almost be half its weight...

The only advantages of this motor would be the silence, regen and maybe durability? But again, if you want a tough one, just get a BPM or a Mac....

So, why do you get this motor?

liveforphysics said:
I don't own any lycra to wear for the picture, but just for you my friend, I will pick some up, squeeze into it, and take the photo for you. :)

Hey Luke, OK so it's gonna be time for you to own up!

Post us your photo and I'll characterize and dyno test these Tongxin hub motors in various windings and put them up on the simulator to the benefit of aspiring weight weenies everywhere:
Tongxin Box.jpg

Wow! Tongxin roller gears! Are you, Justin, planning on selling any?. I had an old one and it did not last well but maybe these newer ones are more sturdy?
otherDoc

liveforphysics said:
Justin LE said:
Post us your photo and I'll characterize and dyno test these Tongxin hub motors in various windings and put them up on the simulator to the benefit of aspiring weight weenies everywhere:

Right, how did I forget about this. Without finding any suitable Lycra to squeeze into, Luke went one step beyond and sent me this photo! :shock: :

Luke, as he be.jpg

Along with some more revealing frontal shots that I shall spare you. So thanks to his bearing it all for the team, I did the dyno tests of the two "Tongxin" hubs and the Cute 328rpm motors and got all that data on the simulator for everyone's benefit.

For the record, here is the actual test data for the higher RPM moor versus the fit with the simulator:
View attachment 3

docnjoj said:
Wow! Tongxin roller gears! Are you, Justin, planning on selling any?. I had an old one and it did not last well but maybe these newer ones are more sturdy?

So these motors seemed larger and heavier than I remembered from the last time we ordered from Tongxin, and in fact the name Tongxin didn't even appear in the company interactions, rather it ended up coming from Outrider Technology.
Tongxin Weight.jpg

I took one apart to have a look and sure enough,the internal construction is the same outrunner with a single toothed planetary gear reduction to the casing that we see in most geared hub motors, no friction roller drive to be seem.
Tongxin Open.jpg

However, the quality of the motor, tightness of the airgap etc. all look good, similar in caliber to the Bafang motors.
Tongxin Motor Guts.jpg

I just spotted this.That is a strange Lycra suit, Luke! Skin colored? Anyhoo, Justin thank you for theTongxin tests. Too bad they got rid of the rollers. If nothing else they had to be quieter than any gears. Is that motor quiet. I mean hub motor quiet? I may be weird but quiet motors are the most important thing to my ears. Thanks for the work.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I just spotted this.That is a strange Lycra suit, Luke! Skin colored? Anyhoo, Justin thank you for theTongxin tests. Too bad they got rid of the rollers. If nothing else they had to be quieter than any gears. Is that motor quiet. I mean hub motor quiet? I may be weird but quiet motors are the most important thing to my ears. Thanks for the work.
otherDoc

looks more like a morphsuit to me :p

http://www.morphsuits.com/

The pink one I would guess. :)
otherDoc

Well, I just bought one on eBay from ebikessf. It's in a 20" rim and with _a bad spoke job...

"Crystalyte G-Series brushless 800Watt rear hub motor in 20" rim.
Top speed 25mph @ 50V in 20" wheel
Voltage range: 24-100Volt
This motor works with sensored and sensorless controllers and accepts 7-9 speed cassettes.
Weight (without wheel): 8lb
The wheel was not built correctly by the factory, we recommend rebuilding the wheel, shortening the spokes and re-dishing."

Did I buy a lemon? The price and it being new pulled me in! Looks like I've got a project motor...

Ilia has posted some photos of the 2 other G motors he has for sale. One is BIN and the other is open bidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystalyte-G-Series-800Watt-Electric-Bicycle-Brushless-Rear-Hub-Motor-for-Ebike-/231019958861?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c9dcd24d

Attachments

• 2013-07-21 08.50.43.jpg
    2013-07-21 08.50.43.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,074
  • 2013-07-21 08.50.51.jpg
    2013-07-21 08.50.51.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,074
The Stig said:
what kind of power you planning to run in it?

Not much. Perhaps 350-500W for my wife's bike. The light weight and small size is what's important for her.

It looks to me that Ilia is basically dumping these motors since they are not very popular in the USA. Hopefully, he's not taking a bath on these.

I just bought one of those auctions today! it looked too good to be true, I figured it was a scam. price was right.

Lets hope she comes in the mail

It's not a scam. I've emailed Ilia and it's definitely real. It's expected to arrive this Friday.

Ya I did a user name search here and found this post, also noticed he had 100% feedback rating on Ebay so I wasn't too worried. Good to hear they are real!

Back