New em3ev batterý pack

BMS's for higher current have a lot more FETs, and cost more. Whatever the vendor rated it for, it probably doesn't have a lot of margin. The amount of nickel welded into the pack is also based on the vendor's design. Exceeding that will increase heating in the interconnects as well as the cells and BMS. The ambient temperature becomes important, and the duration of the high current. Put a temperature probe or two against the battery and do some testing..

Very soon in the new year. Have been using my stockpile till now.
Have an idea that's expensive and poorly thought out.
Right up my alley! Here's how the Kona fatty turned out..

Electrick said:
Very soon in the new year. Have been using my stockpile till now.
Have an idea that's expensive and poorly thought out.
Right up my alley! Here's how the Kona fatty turned out..

Is the battery a permanent installation or removable (for charging, etc.)?

I have similar clearance as your Kona, on a Cove frame I'm converting, and landing on using 1/8" x 2" aluminum bar stock, padded to support the battery, and a couple of side pieces for lateral support. Planning on rivet most of it, but making the lateral supports on one side removable, in order to take the battery out of charging. :bolt:

I'm not making any cuts on the materials until I see what you come up with. :wink:

Hey does anyone know the name of the charge port connector that em3ev use? It looks like a 3 pin mini DIN plug but it's slightly different... and the charger side is male.

Am making up my own second charger out of existing 12-24v supplies (I have a lot of amps available) and a boost CC/CV module.

Em3ev use a proprietary charge connector. You can buy a Anderson hookup with the connector I believe.

@E-HP
I've been busy with life, but will say that 2 triangular sheets, made holey enough,
Will contain these units. In the process, will provide pics when done.

My friend bought one of the EM3Ev packs from here in Nanaimo British Columbia Canada, and it arrived safe and sound in about 3 weeks. Its 14S7P. The BMS app works nicely on his phone via Bluetooth, albeit a wee bit primitive. Getting insight into the exact millivoltage of each of the 14 cell groups is super useful, as well as the overall pack voltage. All the groups were within 5 millivolts of each other at the 90% charge state. According to their web site it balances at the 90% level which is super nice, as it means he very rarely needs 100%, and doesn't have to worry about the balance-state so much as I - I have an earlier edition of the EM3EV packs. I also like the on-off switch on the pack and the LEDS on the outside of the pack which gives a rough indication of charge state, as well as whether there is any power on the XT90s output. Nice to shut the bike off with the pack still attached, as many cheap China controllers have no on-off switch. These are super nice packs, and match the specs for weight mentioned on the web site. My friend cut 10 pounds over his old BMSBattery LiFPO4 15Ahr pack, and picked up an additional 10Ahr. The pack was around 1100Cdn, to his door. Since most of his riding is in the top half of the pack, the average voltage is well north of the 53.8V full charge of the old LiFP04 pack. All in all a great upgrade, and very satisfied so far. You can buy XT90s spark arresting pigtails, pre-soldered from Luna, if you need some more for things like inline DCDC converters, or CA shunts and the like. Its matched to a 9C front hubbie, and probably is under 1C on the biggest of hills around Nanaimo - he mostly runs at under 200 watts most of the time - maybe he spikes to 30ish amps on a big hill.

Electrick said:

FYI, I'm not seeing the photo. Here is what I did with mine:

Thank you! The loops you see are single links from a chain. I wrapped the links with a strip of sheet metal and spot welded the strip (with the link) to the battery tray. The fabric hook and loop is just sewed onto itself. Here is a zoomed image:
IMG_20180802_110059_zoom.jpg

This is my first post on this site!

This is my take on the battery installation. Using 3 small metal pieces with rubber padding. One of them with a built-in locker which locks into the bike frame and secures the battery in place. The one underneath sits on the bottle holder sockets.

Attachments

• fa09b379-7ce2-4340-978c-90fb602b2c54.jpg
    fa09b379-7ce2-4340-978c-90fb602b2c54.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 0aa78401-559a-4df7-a03e-0e4afb860663.jpg
    0aa78401-559a-4df7-a03e-0e4afb860663.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 59b16dc9-b165-4c1d-aeee-880f3f313ed4.jpg
    59b16dc9-b165-4c1d-aeee-880f3f313ed4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,885
Very elegant! Nice work..Mine is similar but uses both tubes. Dealing with a smaller space will do that.
Will finally try to get some pics to stick!

Thank you. Eager to c yours. Your black bike seems to provide a very nice fit for the battery. The other one is a bit of a challenge.

Rethinking about my build; I'm a bit concerned about the plastic cracking on the underside with all the vibrations while riding. The surface area on which the battery lies seems not large enough. What do u think?

Working today on the electrical installation for my bike :)

hi!
Which version of the BMS App for android do you use?
I'm using 3.04 from the play store, but I only have access to 1 screen with capacity and main voltage.
I can't get the individual cells voltage, nor any of settings.
Any help?
Thanks.

Edit: found the answer: the new version don't show cell levels.
the v 2.7 still work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/noxit30i6k28q6v/BMSAppV2.7.apk?dl=0

Electrick said:
Em3ev use a proprietary charge connector. You can buy a Anderson hookup with the connector I believe.

I recently bought 2 batteries from them, and they provided 2 adapter cables to xt60 female for use with a Luna charger.
I'm sure they can make you something.

The adapter cable has a brand stamp of "cusmade"... "Custom made", probably.

Back