New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

cascarabias said:
Thank you very much for your answer, but it is impossible to download STlink from the web, I downloaded it from "www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cycles-instructionals/tsdz2programmingfromscratch", I have run the program but it gives me the error "Error: Can not communicate with the tool.
Wrong tool selection or check tool power supply or check that a previous session is closed.
Error: <PROGRAM MEMORY programming failed.
Error: <Operation aborted "
I checked the connections and I think they are correct. some idea for a solution.
Best regards
I've just tested it again and I had no issues downloading from the ST website, but you have to register first before downloading. Btw, I'm using ST Visual Programmer (STVP) not STlink.

Regarding the communication issues, did you wire the power/VCC to the ST-LINK/V2 programmer as well or are you using another power source? The device (in the motor controller or display) needs power otherwise you can't communicate with it.

Hello again, after 4 days I received the e-mail from st.com to download the file, I made the flash to kt lcd3 successfully, but only with version v 0.6 hex !!, when trying the flash with the v.0.9 hex gives an error "Line 7: not in Intel format". What can cause this error?
Thanks
Best regards

cascarabias said:
Hello again, after 4 days I received the e-mail from st.com to download the file, I made the flash to kt lcd3 successfully, but only with version v 0.6 hex !!, when trying the flash with the v.0.9 hex gives an error "Line 7: not in Intel format". What can cause this error?
Thanks
Best regards

I had the same problem. Someone made an obscure mention of right-clicking the raw button then "save link as". This solves the problem. The raw button shows up only after left clicking on the file name so the file text shows up on the screen. Good luck!

Rydon said:
I had the same problem. Someone made an obscure mention of right-clicking the raw button then "save link as". This solves the problem. The raw button shows up only after left clicking on the file name so the file text shows up on the screen. Good luck!
That's correct otherwise you're probably flashing the Github webpage (HTML) to the motor controller :D

Maybe it's best if you download the zip archive with the complete firmware including the hex files? Simply click on the green Clone or download button in Github.

I am implementing the time and distance of the ride. Can you guys tell me what do you expect for the ride time: 1. Time since system is powered on OR 2. Time counted only when wheel speed > 0.

Would it be possible to use a generic KT-series or other controller with the TSDZ2? It seems like that would provide a lot of the features of the open-source software.

casainho said:
I am implementing the time and distance of the ride. Can you guys tell me what do you expect for the ride time: 1. Time since system is powered on OR 2. Time counted only when wheel speed > 0.

I would find #2 the most useful.

beartaco said:
Would it be possible to use a generic KT-series or other controller with the TSDZ2? It seems like that would provide a lot of the features of the open-source software.
I started the KT OpenSource firmware but after 1 year I stopped to use hub motors (and stopped to develop the firmware for KT) on my ebikes and moved to used TSDZ2 mid drive motor only, that on April 2018 and after 5 months, the OpenSource firmware I started to TSDZ2 is much more improved from the KT firmware!! (I did reuse the KT firmware at begin).

See here the review of TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware:

[youtube]IrWn6e8bIuQ[/youtube]

beartaco said:

Most of those controllers do not have provisions for torque sensor input. Prior to the open source project, I was looking at the CA3 with Grinfineon controller and adapting it to the TSDZ2 as it does accommodate a torque sensor but that solution is about $250. The open source firmware has superb torque sensing support, smooth and efficient sine wave simulation, tons of cool features and is easy to setup and use - all for the price of an LCD3 and a little elbow grease. :)

Rydon said:
beartaco said:

Most of those controllers do not have provisions for torque sensor input. Prior to the open source project, I was looking at the CA3 with Grinfineon controller and adapting it to the TSDZ2 as it does accommodate a torque sensor but that solution is about $250. The open source firmware has superb torque sensing support, smooth and efficient sine wave simulation, tons of cool features and is easy to setup and use - all for the price of an LCD3 and a little elbow grease. :)
With added advantage that is our own knowledge and technology (unlike CA3 and Grinfineon controllers are, or others) and this never happened before!! this will result in improving the ebike technology, you see, next time other companies put an ebike motor and LCD controller on the market, they must do better than our OpenSource firmware!! See, would be a shame if next Tongsheng TSDZx motor version would be worst than TSDZ2 using our OpenSource firmware... even because their engineers can just use/see/learn with our technology and they must do something on top.

Hi guys,

I see a lot of good feedback on the opensource firmware. Can this be flashed in the standard vlcd 5 or it works only in ktlcd 3?

Is there a way to reset the odo in the vlcd 5? It got messed up by the 99km/h error.

Thanks.

casainho said:
48V and soon I will switch to 52V.

Is there anything special that you'll need to address for 52v with your firmware?

I have been reading the wiki and it seems to indicate nothing specific to the 52v because it's physically the same as the 48v.

m3lonbr3ad said:
casainho said:
48V and soon I will switch to 52V.

Is there anything special that you'll need to address for 52v with your firmware?

I have been reading the wiki and it seems to indicate nothing specific to the 52v because it's physically the same as the 48v.
You need to at least correctly configure the battery low voltage cut off value on LCD3 configurations.

Ok, this is technical and may be confusing for some but I think are great news: OpenSource firmware for the XH18LCD!!

hurzhurz said:
I have now started a collection for information that are needed to develop custom firmware for the XH18LCD:
https://github.com/hurzhurz/xh18lcd

And I have also created a example firmware that supports most features of the original firmware.
https://github.com/hurzhurz/xh18lcd/tree/master/development
custom-firmware.jpg

Though, it is made with an Arduino port for STM8. Probably not very efficient and not the best code style.
Probably better to make a one version from scratch than to enhance this one.

Ohhh cool, I'll get John to help me flash it on mine

casainho said:
Ok, this is technical and may be confusing for some but I think are great news: OpenSource firmware for the XH18LCD!!

hurzhurz said:
I have now started a collection for information that are needed to develop custom firmware for the XH18LCD:
https://github.com/hurzhurz/xh18lcd

And I have also created a example firmware that supports most features of the original firmware.
https://github.com/hurzhurz/xh18lcd/tree/master/development
custom-firmware.jpg

Though, it is made with an Arduino port for STM8. Probably not very efficient and not the best code style.
Probably better to make a one version from scratch than to enhance this one.

:shock: oooooh NICE

A new release of firmware (V0.12) with the new developed features -- thanks to the collaboration on development of EndlessCadence and the tests and feedback of other users!! Also wiki improvements thanks to the same users/developers.

New on V0.12:

1. Off road mode: Added offroad mode with some configurations, where on street legal mode the speed and/or motor max power can be configured.

2. Battery voltage to reset SOC counter: Added configuration menu for the voltage value to automatically reset the counter of battery SOC (battery state of charge) when battery is fully charged.

3. TSDZ2 + LCD3 automatic power off: Added configuration menu for TSDZ2 + LCD3 automatic power off timing (from 1 minute up to 255 minutes).

4. LCD backlight configuration: configuration of backlight values for on and off lights states (we can have have always enabled backlight, or always disabled, or different backlight values on each state).

5. LCD reset configurations: added configuration menu to reset the configurations to defaults.

6. Reducing battery voltage fluctuation for battery SOC bars indicator: Added a configuration for battery pack resistance value that is used to calculate the battery voltage fluctuation due to motor current usage and then filter out the fluctuations on LCD3 battery SOC bars indicator.

Hello again, in the video num.4 jbalat talks about swapping the green and yellow wires on the lcd3 panel, then it is necessary to flash the lcd3 firmware again when it is connected to the tsdz2?
I have flashed the tsdz2 and the lcd without exchanging the cables and I did not receive any error, but lcd3 does not turn on !!
I'm going crazy!!
sorry for so many questions.
best regards

Someone can tell me where to buy a new TSDZ2 side cover? i found all the parts but not the cover (just in case I ruin the side cover)

And I have another question to make my decision of 36v or 48v, and the values that I give here are only for the example:

Since the 36v and 48v have the same final cadence, imagine that i run at 90 RPM for both, both with fully charger battery (42v for the 36v and 54.6v for the 48v).

36v version pulling 16 amps : 672W
48v version only need 12.3Amps for the same 672W
So, can I say that the 48v version will run cooler, with less effort?

After the amazing work of casainho and is great firmware I think that the only weak point of the TSDZ2 is the motor. A slightly bigger, motor (not much) to take more amps and the TDSZ2 would be perfect!

Has anyone tried the opensource firmware on 36v motor with a 48v battery. My 36v battery casing has just smashed and I've been toying with the idea of getting a 48v battery. If you have tried the above, do you have to be pedalling at max cadence (I assume about 120 rpm) to get full power ? How does it ride with the firmware and 48v battery ?

Bartman said:
Has anyone tried the opensource firmware on 36v motor with a 48v battery. My 36v battery casing has just smashed and I've been toying with the idea of getting a 48v battery. If you have tried the above, do you have to be pedalling at max cadence (I assume about 120 rpm) to get full power ? How does it ride with the firmware and 48v battery ?
This is my setup and it works great. You don't have to pedal up to 120 RPM. For me the cadence is still a little bit limited around 100 RPM, but I should be able to increase this with configuration. I would say that full power is around 90 RPM with the default configuration.

Bartman said:
Also tried with 14s as per my video and it runs just as good. Let me know if you want increased cadence there are only a couple of tweaks.. Not sure why its not already default in the firmware ...

casainho said:
spiked said:
Is this high temperature something we need to worry about?
Sure it is!! I hope you did read the wiki link I post that says:

The Curie temperature of high-grade Neodymium (with added terbium and dysprosium) is 320C / 600F. However, common neo magnets are made from the cheapest grade, and can start to lose some of their magnetism at around 80C (170F).

E-bike motor magnets are a grade that is slightly higher than the cheapest variety, because they are often subjected to higher temps than they should be by unsuspecting customers. Years of posted experiments by real E-bikers on endless-sphere have produced a commonly held rule-of-thumb to avoid heating your E-bike motor to above 95C (200F).

In: https://www.electricbike.com/motor-tech-learn-the-terms-part-1

spiked said:
Did you drive the motor really hard to get it this hot, or was this just a routine ride? What battery was used?
I did not ride hard and was a routine ride, I was at max of 500W (about 10 amps) at some peaks. As you can see on LCD, I used 61 Watts/hour is 15 minutes so at power average of 61 *4 = 244 watts (half of that max of 50W).

At 85 degrees of the motor, outside I could touch with my hand and see it was very hot but clearly I already did touch my motor from the outside more hot than that. It is easy, the same ride I did of 15 minutes, I usually do the same type of ride but for about 60 minutes - 4 times more!!

But I hope other users can replicate my experience and so we can get more data and validate all this.

Curious, are the above temps just as easy to hit with the stock firmware (and VLCD5)? I just finished my first build with the 52v version and 52v battery. I’m riding mindfully (no smashing from stop or up a hill in a high gear, adjusting gearing to keep cadence up and strain off motor) but am wondering if i could still be getting the moto too hot by running it in speed/turbo mode on my commute? Commute is 6 miles, 2-3 decent hills.

Back