New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

watkinspd said:
I'm in progress of switching my build over to the open source firmware and the KT-LCD3 display.
I'm searching for the pinout map for the 8 pin connector to the motor controller on the TSDZ2.
I've searched and found maps of wire colors against controller functions but the only way to use that is to cut the cable to expose the wires or disassemble my installed motor to map the wires to the pins using ohm meter. I'm trying to avoid that.
Has anyone got a mapping of the pins to wire colors or functions?TSDZ2-8-Pin-Controller-Connector - 1.jpg

Hi,

Here is a low quality scribble of the pinout for the male 8 pin controller plug (FYI red/signal = Vin)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11lR4-KLOBIRveKVqwzPHyoj00CFw2Hde/view?usp=drivesdk

I got my motor today (48V). I plan on using the open source firmware, but I wanted to bench test it with the stock firmware first to make sure it works before I void the warranty. I couldn't figure out a safe way to put enough torque on the cranks with it benched to get the motor to turn, so I tried walk assist mode.

The noise is pretty loud and unpleasant:

[youtube]Bwo_jUx70jQ[/youtube]

I then compared it to my BBS02, which sounds much quieter and doesn't have that terrible cyclic noise the TSDZ2 does. Is it normal? Defective? Should I return it? I don't care about using walk assist, I just want to make sure the motor doesn't have a problem before I void its warranty by flashing it.

watkinspd said:
Has anyone got a mapping of the pins to wire colors or functions?TSDZ2-8-Pin-Controller-Connector - 1.jpg
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-KT-LCD3-to-TSDZ2/_edit#8-pin-controller-usually-this-is-a-tsdz2-with-throttle-

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&hilit=flash+lcd3&start=3525#p1415134

What is your display type? Do you have a throttle?

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
I got my motor today (48V). I plan on using the open source firmware, but I wanted to bench test it with the stock firmware first to make sure it works before I void the warranty. I couldn't figure out a safe way to put enough torque on the cranks with it benched to get the motor to turn, so I tried walk assist mode.

I then compared it to my BBS02, which sounds much quieter and doesn't have that terrible cyclic noise the TSDZ2 does. Is it normal? Defective? Should I return it? I don't care about using walk assist, I just want to make sure the motor doesn't have a problem before I void its warranty by flashing it.

i think you will only be sure about what is going on here if someone can confirm that he has done the same setup with either the same or a better result. But how likely is that...
on the other hand i have been wondering the whole time why you were considering that the new motor could be defective to begin with. but of course, you never know...

not an easy situation, unless someone here can reproduce the same test environment...good luck! alternatively you could of course return this one and order a second one and assume that you would hardly be so unlucky to get two defective ones in a row...but that takes time...

andyme said:
i think you will only be sure about what is going on here if someone can confirm that he has done the same setup with either the same or a better result. But how likely is that...
on the other hand i have been wondering the whole time why you were considering that the new motor could be defective to begin with. but of course, you never know...

not an easy situation, unless someone here can reproduce the same test environment...good luck! alternatively you could of course return this one and order a second one and assume that you would hardly be so unlucky to get two defective ones in a row...but that takes time...

There's nothing special about the setup though? Stock 48V motor with stock firmware, hook it up, press the walk assist button.

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
andyme said:

There's nothing special about the setup though? Stock 48V motor with stock firmware, hook it up, press the walk assist button.

I understand...but e.g. me, i did not do this before i mounted the motor and now that it is mounted and flashed i cannot do it ... so the question is: is someone here able/ in a position to do what you did....

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
I don't think it matters if it's mounted. I'm pretty sure someone's tried walk assist on a stock motor with stock firmware ...

ok...you are right...with my display (XH-18) i did not have this option anyway...at least i think so....it has this menu where you can select walk assist, but i never noticed any difference whether it was selected or not...so i am curious to see how your journey continues ;) and frankly: i replied to you because i have had so many posts where i never got any reply, that i felt it already makes one feel good to get a reply at all as long it is polite and friendly :D

andyme said:
frankly: i replied to you because i have had so many posts where i never got any reply, that i felt it already makes one feel good to get a reply at all as long it is polite and friendly :D

Ah I see :) If people don't reply, they're not being rude, it just means they don't have anything helpful to add. Otherwise, the thread would be full of a ton of posts and be a lot harder for other people to sift through :)

eyebyesickle said:
watkinspd said:
I'm in progress of switching my build over to the open source firmware and the KT-LCD3 display.
I'm searching for the pinout map for the 8 pin connector to the motor controller on the TSDZ2.
I've searched and found maps of wire colors against controller functions but the only way to use that is to cut the cable to expose the wires or disassemble my installed motor to map the wires to the pins using ohm meter. I'm trying to avoid that.

Hi,

Here is a low quality scribble of the pinout for the male 8 pin controller plug (FYI red/signal = Vin)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11lR4-KLOBIRveKVqwzPHyoj00CFw2Hde/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks very much for that. I’m now running release 0.16 of the open source firmware. My initial impressions are that this is much better than the vldc5 and the original tsdz2 firmware.

Ron Paul's Blimp said:

I bought 36 V motor and been driving about 3500 km. Vendor said motor is silent. The motor has been noisy all the time. Sound is sometimes louder and sometimes quieter. Motor has stock firmware. I haven't test motor on the table so that sound I cannot compare

dameri said:
I bought 36 V motor and been driving about 3500 km. Vendor said motor is silent. The motor has been noisy all the time. Sound is sometimes louder and sometimes quieter. Motor has stock firmware. I haven't test motor on the table so that sound I cannot compare

my experience is similar, and it is great to hear that the motor is still alive after 3500 km...

my experience is similar, and it is great to hear that the motor is still alive after 3500 km...
[/quote]

I hope your motor will also work long time. I wonder if any those motors are silent. I thing it's vendors speech.

andyme said:
dameri said:

i have to say that i changed from the blue gear to the metal gear because blue got broken, so this makes it rather louder. with the current firmware noise is sometimes really very low, and then there are times when it is easy to hear for everyone around me...but at least it sounds "healthy"...while this noise on the table is not so pleasant..but i agree that it is difficult to say. it is very well possible that making the motor run free like this on a table can make completely different noise...who knows...

The thing I'm mainly asking about is the cycling quacking noise .. quack-quack-quack-quack-quack. It sounds the same when I pick it up by the bottom bracket so I don't think it has anything to do with it being on the table or unmounted.

andyme said:
andyme said:
dameri said:

i have to say that i changed from the blue gear to the metal gear because blue got broken, so this makes it rather louder. with the current firmware noise is sometimes really very low, and then there are times when it is easy to hear for everyone around me...but at least it sounds "healthy"...while this noise on the table is not so pleasant..but i agree that it is difficult to say. it is very well possible that making the motor run free like this on a table can make completely different noise...who knows...

dameri, do you have LCD 5? have you ever used walk assist or could you try this? could it be that this noise RPB is complaining about happens when using walk assist? that could be an indication...if you can say: i have stock firmware and when using walk assist i do not hear such a strange noise...then he could/would assume that his motor is defective...because he believes it does not matter whether the motor is mounted or not ...so if you have a chance to comment about frog like noise in walk assist mode...

Yes I have LCD 5. I have used throttle at stairs because my "carage" is my home on third floor.
I haven't heard or I have not noticed any strange noise. I try throttle tomorrow when I go to work
and make report here. When I bought tsdz2 motor I just tried that throttle is working.

dameri said:
Yes I have LCD 5. I have used throttle at stairs because my "carage" is my home on third floor.
I haven't heard or I have not noticed any strange noise. I try throttle tomorrow when I go to work
and make report here. When I bought tsdz2 motor I just tried that throttle is working.

cool...haha...i understand there is a special "walk assist" button on LCD5 keypad? maybe you can try that one too so he can be sure that you have tried the same as he did....

As I have only purchased XH18,no throttle version, can someone confirm:

VLCD5 always comes with 8 pin connector?

OR

VLCD5 only comes with 8 pin connector if you order throttle?
VLCD5 Throttle connects to ???

If you order XH18 with throttle then connector is (6pin or 8 pin)?
The throttle cable connects to ???

crun said:
As I have only purchased XH18,no throttle version, can someone confirm:

VLCD5 always comes with 8 pin connector?

OR

VLCD5 only comes with 8 pin connector if you order throttle?
VLCD5 Throttle connects to ???

If you order XH18 with throttle then connector is (6pin or 8 pin)?
The throttle cable connects to ???

I think this can answer your question at least to a certain extent:
https://www.eco-ebike.com/products/8-to-6-pin-splitter-with-throttle-for-tsdz2?variant=12784653434962

i guess you can find about any combination .... lately they are selling 8 pin versions w/o throttle seemingly because of lack of stock...but as it seems: there are solutions...

Back