• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Thanks for your report and links Cristian, I was looking for pads to buy but didn't found better than 3W/mK.
This will be my next mod with the temperature sensor, last week-end I installed a SW102 and flashed the firmware.

In one or two months I will remove it from my mountain bike to install it on a recumbent trike with solar panels for a trip this summer.
I planned a 3 months trip across Europe but due to Covid It will be just a few weeks in France, still better than nothing.

Hi guys after some advice from you lot.
I have my tsdz2 750w 48v and absolutely love it, what I don’t love however is the piss poor bulky nasty looking displays they come with, had the xh18 and boy what a bulky, horrible to read in anything but the darkest of nights piece of junk. Changed it to the Vlcd6 and Is a lot better and more streamlined but is still hard to read and near impossible to use when booting it through the forest.
I’ve read that the Bafang sw102 is compatiable with tsdz2 stock and osf. I have a sw102 here and the wiring diagram off of github so am just soldering to my old xh18 cable as will never use that horrid thing again. Has anybody else attempted this and am doing this in vain just to find out it won’t work with original firmware and only the osf.
Thanks guys any advice welcomed

69pjc69 said:
...I’ve read that the Bafang sw102 is compatiable with tsdz2 stock and osf. I have a sw102 here and the wiring diagram off of github so am just soldering to my old xh18 cable as will never use that horrid thing again. Has anybody else attempted this and am doing this in vain just to find out it won’t work with original firmware and only the osf.
Thanks guys any advice welcomed

Check the previous two pages of this thread and you will find the answer.

Cristian said:
I'm happy to report that i have made all the cooling modifications that are listed on the wiki page
Which ones exactly? There are a lot of mods that don't go together :)
Did you install heatsinks? Or only internal modifications? I don't want to change the look of the motor, and think of using silicone pad alone.

Hey Guys.
I notices that a new 2020 version of tsdz2 has been launched.
Have any of you guys tried reflashing it with the opensource firmware?

Danielwj said:
Hey Guys.
Apparently it’s the same motor as ever, there is no new 2020 version. It was discussed in this thread a few weeks ago. Probably just sellers trying to hype their product so you go and buy theirs instead of anyone else’s who still sells the “2019 version”

Sure about that? On the germam site there Are picture of the difference, details and so on. If i remember correct, the spider is also a different color.

I personally don’t care about old/new model, I
Just want it to work with open source but
I can only find the new model inside EU.

skestans said:
Danielwj said:
Hey Guys.
Apparently it’s the same motor as ever, there is no new 2020 version. It was discussed in this thread a few weeks ago. Probably just sellers trying to hype their product so you go and buy theirs instead of anyone else’s who still sells the “2019 version”

Forgot to quote you, the answers before was for you.

Danielwj said:

You can edit your post by clicking the small pen icon (right next to the quote icon) appearing in your own posts.

Perhaps it would help if you posted a link to these different new motors? With a quick search I cannot find any that would look in any way different from those that have been ik the market for a longer time already.

69pjc69 said:
I’ve read that the Bafang sw102 is compatiable with tsdz2 stock and osf. ... and am doing this in vain just to find out it won’t work with original firmware and only the osf.

I only know of using the SW102 with the OSF and had not heard of compatibility with the original FW. I found a display extension cable and used that to hook it up. I'm glad I did, as my original VLCD6 is back in use with the original FW.

Also, I did not find the SW102 very sunlight friendly. For the time I used it, I had to construct a sun shade to block the sun on three sides without reducing my ability to see.

Sorry to hear the very poor use report on the XH18! I have one hiding(or lost) somewhere in space and time between China and here. While the VLCD6 tracks mileage accurately internally, it only display whole number miles, making it hard to estimate the track back to a landmark recently passed. That's why I tried the SW102 with OSF, to get the fractional distances, but gave up on that, and was going to try the XH18 for that reason, as the image of that display showed fractional distances. Oh Well.

Otherwise, big fan of the TSDZ2!!!!

ilu said:
Danielwj said:

You can edit your post by clicking the small pen icon (right next to the quote icon) appearing in your own posts.

Perhaps it would help if you posted a link to these different new motors? With a quick search I cannot find any that would look in any way different from those that have been ik the market for a longer time already.

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/
(put it into google translate)

from google translate:

Got more information from Tongsheng today.
A large number of the motors on the market come from a Chinese manufacturer who made pedelecs for a company from Germany. The traditional company from Germany has long gone bankrupt (almost everyone can guess) and for this reason the Chinese company sold the engines very cheaply (to get money).
In the new version that Tongsheng releases as Edition 2020, some things should be improved, such as:
1. Firmware
2. Drive was built from better material
3. Small change in exterior design to make the engine more compatible for installation on different frames
4. The axis of the motor should become narrower
5. Apparently there is a Bluetooth transmission .... I didn't understand that 100% ...: whistle :: unsure:
Now we just have to wait until the parts come in order to make exact comparison pictures ...

Attachments

• New_Vs._Old.jpg
    New_Vs._Old.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,539
Veko said:
That sound great! I guess you're running it on 52V battery? Do you have 48V or 36V version of the motor? I wonder if 36V version will have much higher heat generation than 48V version when running it with 52V battery.

I forgot to mention that i have a 48V motor with a 48V 17.5Ah battery.

Does anyone have a CAD file of the TSDZ2 engine, there's a number of very nice frames designed for other motors which there maybe a possibility of designing an intervening adapter.

Danielwj said:
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/tongsheng-tsdz2-36v-neues-design-2020.73872/

Later in this same thread they say that the motor labeled as 2020 has nothing different except the connector. Where is this new motor sold? All the sellers advertising "new version" seem to have pictures of the same old motor.

Big_Daddy said:
casainho, I actually have not changed any of the configurations that my vendor set up with TSDZ2/OSF except for activating the startup boost mode......
Suddenly, I had the same problem, on a 850C v0.7.0. I checked the configuration menu and was about to ignore the torque sensor calibration, as how could that change, and saw that the torque values previously entered were assumed to be lbs and the software had converted them to kgs or halved them all, eg 10kgs effort was changed to 5kgs. This must have happened after I converted to SI units because of other problems.

Anyway, the effect was that the motor was seeing very low apparent torque and required a lot of pedal effort to get it going. I’m not sure how that would effect a KT-LCD3 which is what I assume you have.

Well, a picture can be as simple as a stock photo everybody is using. PSWpower.com has confirmed they are selling the 2020 version of the motor, and so have several of the EU sellers I contacted sofare.

Again, I really don't care about one version over the other, my fear is to ordre a 36v motor and a 48v batteri just to find out I can not refresh the firmware and need to ordre a different motor or battery to get the system running. I been asking in here, on the German forum and several other places for the last month to hope to find a guy who bought the new version of the motor and did the refresh, but still no luck.

ilu said:
Danielwj said:

Later in this same thread they say that the motor labeled as 2020 has nothing different except the connector. Where is this new motor sold? All the sellers advertising "new version" seem to have pictures of the same old motor.

Danielwj said:
Well, a picture can be as simple as a stock photo everybody is using. PSWpower.com has confirmed they are selling the 2020 version of the motor, and so have several of the EU sellers I contacted sofare.

PSWpower doesn't mention anything about a change in the motors and a 36V motor I bought from them in March is the regular one. Seems that there's mostly rumors and not really any proper information about a new version. Easiest option for you would be to just go ahead and buy the motor. But of course you can wait for someone on these forums to get something labeled as "2020" first if you wish, but it might take quite a while.

I just got 36v motor from PSWpower via their Aliexpress site (bought on 10th, got it on 20th of April) and it didn't have any 2020 sticker. It also has the three streaks on the side cover like in the "old" motor version in the linked image. I don't have flashing tools yet so I haven't tried the motor since I got a 52V battery for it and will need to flash OSF before running it. I will wait for thermal pads to arrive before opening it up and will report if I see anything different to previous images of the insides.

Veko said:
I just got 36v motor from PSWpower via their Aliexpress site (bought on 10th, got it on 20th of April) and it didn't have any 2020 sticker. It also has the three streaks on the side cover like in the "old" motor version in the linked image. I don't have flashing tools yet so I haven't tried the motor since I got a 52V battery for it and will need to flash OSF before running it. I will wait for thermal pads to arrive before opening it up and will report if I see anything different to previous images of the insides.

I'm sure you have the same motor as the rest of us. That image doesn't tell anything about a new 2020 version. The left one has some features that are not in the current motor, perhaps it depicts the first version from few years back, and the right one is just a crappy rendering. The logo on the cover is also from one of the reseller's, not Thongsheng's.

Cristian said:
I'm happy to report that i have made all the cooling modifications that are listed on the wiki page, except the one with plastic cover cutting. I have tried as hard as i could to make it overheat, going uphill (800W-900W) or on the flat with 45km/h and 500-600W continuous power, but i only managed to get it to 70° C once. It usually stays under 65° C and cools down very fast when it's not working hard.

I used 6.0 W/mK 2mm and 3mm thermal pads. With 5.15 W/mk thermal grease paste.

Before the mods, it would be at 85° C in 10 minutes of 500W and would cool down very slow. I would have to stay under 350W the rest of the trip, otherwise would go to 85° C much faster, being already a bit hot.

I will probably also be cutting the plastic cover in the summer heat to help it out a bit. Very happy with the result, it works great now.

That's a very significant improvement in heat dissipation.

I need to stay on ECO mode else temp sensor reduces power in quite a short time.

My concern re the 'Thermal grease paste' is that it could be very messy if the motor needs to be disassembled at a later time. How messy are the motor internals going to be after the application of the thermal grease?

James Broadhurst said:
Big_Daddy said:
casainho, I actually have not changed any of the configurations that my vendor set up with TSDZ2/OSF except for activating the startup boost mode......
Suddenly, I had the same problem, on a 850C v0.7.0. I checked the configuration menu and was about to ignore the torque sensor calibration, as how could that change, and saw that the torque values previously entered were assumed to be lbs and the software had converted them to kgs or halved them all, eg 10kgs effort was changed to 5kgs. This must have happened after I converted to SI units because of other problems.

Anyway, the effect was that the motor was seeing very low apparent torque and required a lot of pedal effort to get it going. I’m not sure how that would effect a KT-LCD3 which is what I assume you have.

James, I am also running an 850C v0.7.0. However, mine was set up from the Vendor with SI units. I am going to try a setting another user suggested in a previous post but I need to install my inline brake sensors (Various+Assist w/o pedal rot). Funny thing is after a couple hundred miles I'm about to get use to it! It's more annoying than a show stopper because otherwise, everything else works fine. I'm horrified of screwing up the torque settings because once I get going, the power assist is powerful and smooth and fast and I'm running no where near the highest assist setting.

Big_Daddy said:
James, I am also running an 850C v0.7.0. However, mine was set up from the Vendor with SI units. I am going to try a setting another user suggested in a previous post but I need to install my inline brake sensors (Various+Assist w/o pedal rot). Funny thing is after a couple hundred miles I'm about to get use to it! It's more annoying than a show stopper because otherwise, everything else works fine. I'm horrified of screwing up the torque settings because once I get going, the power assist is powerful and smooth and fast and I'm running no where near the highest assist setting.
v0.7 is very good. I think I’ve got rid of the delay by reducing the assist level. Anything above 9 will cause a delay until you’ve got going. 6 is almost immediate. Like you, I can put with it!

emr said:
Cristian said:
I'm happy to report that i have made all the cooling modifications that are listed on the wiki page, except the one with plastic cover cutting. I have tried as hard as i could to make it overheat, going uphill (800W-900W) or on the flat with 45km/h and 500-600W continuous power, but i only managed to get it to 70° C once. It usually stays under 65° C and cools down very fast when it's not working hard.

I used 6.0 W/mK 2mm and 3mm thermal pads. With 5.15 W/mk thermal grease paste.

Before the mods, it would be at 85° C in 10 minutes of 500W and would cool down very slow. I would have to stay under 350W the rest of the trip, otherwise would go to 85° C much faster, being already a bit hot.

I will probably also be cutting the plastic cover in the summer heat to help it out a bit. Very happy with the result, it works great now.

That's a very significant improvement in heat dissipation.

I need to stay on ECO mode else temp sensor reduces power in quite a short time.

My concern re the 'Thermal grease paste' is that it could be very messy if the motor needs to be disassembled at a later time. How messy are the motor internals going to be after the application of the thermal grease?

I did not apply much thermal paste, i have the same concern. I think the thermal pads are doing most of the work, by transferring heat to the case. The case seems more hot now than before, related to the temperature shown on the display. I checked it with a laser temp gun and the case temperature is close to the reading i see on the display, just a bit under.

for crying out lough. I been having this build on hold for more than a month now (almost two), cause of this "new version" shit. Im going to ordre a setup to night. Thank you so much.

ilu said:
Danielwj said:

PSWpower doesn't mention anything about a change in the motors and a 36V motor I bought from them in March is the regular one. Seems that there's mostly rumors and not really any proper information about a new version. Easiest option for you would be to just go ahead and buy the motor. But of course you can wait for someone on these forums to get something labeled as "2020" first if you wish, but it might take quite a while.

I just got 48V battery and TSDZ2 36V 350W VLCD5.
I'm planning to flash VLCD5 with OS firmware so it can run with 48V battery.
However, right now I'm still waiting for St-link cable to arrive and it may take a few weeks. Is there anything I can do right now to test out the motor with the battery without installing custom firmware? Is there any secret configuration on VLCD5 where I could change some settings and play with the motor while waiting for the cable?

Back