Qulbix Raptor ebike + frame kit

Twister

There also appears to be a chap in ole blighty selling a raptor frame http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56500&p=883446&hilit=Raptor#p883446 he just gave the post a bump so presumably still available.

Dark Knight said:
Twister

There also appears to be a chap in ole blighty selling a raptor frame http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56500&p=883446&hilit=Raptor#p883446 he just gave the post a bump so presumably still available.

Thanks I've PM'ed him.

Hi chaps
Just wondering why the schlumpf speed drive won't work on the raptor...is it the 83mm width of the BB or is it diameter...? I've looked through most of the threads re: raptor and haven't been able to button down why it won't fit... I did read elsewhere that maybe the high speed drive would work...what's the difference? Apologies for the noobiness of the query...

"schlumpf speed drive won't work"

I think you need to watch this video, it seems you have to shave a part of it down with a tool.

Could you tell me where you bought your "Schlumpf High Speed Drive" from?

Heres the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teCnQJskgQ

lifeupjimbob said:
"schlumpf speed drive won't work"

I think you need to watch this video, it seems you have to shave a part of it down with a tool.

Heres the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teCnQJskgQ

Interesting I watched the video and looked at the technical and on the USA dealer it looks like they do have a 83mm version. It seems you would have to shave the raptor frame but I cannot see why it wouldn't work. Do you know what the reason it wont work is?

Great thread guys I had no idea I needed to build one of these till I found this thread. Lots of really good info. I'm ready to order a frame. is anyone else looking to buy one right now? Hopefully would like to start a build soon. I have a question, if the Law is not a problem is it even necessary to put on the pedals and chain drive system? Most people say they hardly ever pedal anyways. It might be nice to be able to pedal away from a dead battery, mechnical issue. But is it necessary? What is the costs of adding BB crank chain setup ? and how much does said system weigh? definately moving away from ebike and closer to emoto.

A question for if anyone knows that is driving me crazy! I sent my cromotor v3 covers to be powder coated to match my paint scheme and looking at the motor there are 5 large bolts I took one out to see what they did and its just a groove in the solid piece of the motor. So it is driving me crazy as to what the purpose of those 5 large bolts are for. See picture if anyone can share light on it I can sleep again LOL.

Attachments

• 2012-12-26222437_zps19cb7fb0.jpg
    2012-12-26222437_zps19cb7fb0.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,998
baja ebiker said:
Great thread guys I had no idea I needed to build one of these till I found this thread. Lots of really good info. I'm ready to order a frame. is anyone else looking to buy one right now? Hopefully would like to start a build soon. I have a question, if the Law is not a problem is it even necessary to put on the pedals and chain drive system? Most people say they hardly ever pedal anyways. It might be nice to be able to pedal away from a dead battery, mechnical issue. But is it necessary? What is the costs of adding BB crank chain setup ? and how much does said system weigh? definately moving away from ebike and closer to emoto.

Yes it is very important to put pedals and chain on the bike. While the bike will work without pedals or chain, you will not have slow speed stability. The pedals with the chain attached give you a lot of low speed support and it is very important.

I know this because I rode the raptor without without a chain and it was a lot harder to keep the bike stable at slow speeds. I haven't rode my raptor in a long time, but if I remember correctly, a little pedaling at slow speeds while turning is very important. You will be able to handle the bike much better than having to rely on the throttle alone.

However, I am not sure if maybe you will get used to the bike without pedals and handle better without them. I am also not sure how fixed foot pegs would be vs having pedals with no chain.

In a pinch you can leave it off until you get it, but I highly recommend installing it. This is also coming from somebody who almost never pedals.

IT is faily cheap to install a drivetrain, all you need is a crankset which usually include the bottom bracket. Any pedals, a chain, a 1 speed freewheel and any derailleur. You're looking at maybe $200 dollars.

Dark Knight said:
Hi chaps
Just wondering why the schlumpf speed drive won't work on the raptor...is it the 83mm width of the BB or is it diameter...? I've looked through most of the threads re: raptor and haven't been able to button down why it won't fit... I did read elsewhere that maybe the high speed drive would work...what's the difference? Apologies for the noobiness of the query...
The Schlumpf High Speed Drive does fit the Raptor, but you need to do the chamfering of the BB (like in lifeupjimbob's video below). If you let me know when ordering a frame, we will do it for you and we'll send you the frame ready for the Sclumpf.

lifeupjimbob said:
You can now also order the Schlumpf High Speed Drive together with the Raptor frame.
Kr,
Ziva

Torque Bikes said:
The Schlumpf High Speed Drive does fit the Raptor, but you need to do the chamfering of the BB (like in lifeupjimbob's video below). If you let me know when ordering a frame, we will do it for you and we'll send you the frame ready for the Sclumpf.

Hi Ziva

That's great news - surprised I hadn't actually seen it before. Very good to know we have the option available.

Torque Bikes said:
You can now also order the Schlumpf High Speed Drive together with the Raptor frame.

Presumably this only comes with the standard 27T chainring? Do you offer any other chain ring options? Comes with crank arms and trouser guard as well I suspect? And is it always anodized black as the picture on your website shows?

As always, thanks for the feedback - you're certainly leading by example in terms of interactions with customers and ongoing refinements.

Ziva, all I can say is wow you guys are amazing. I must say I am so surprised as to the customer service and stand behind your product attitude from you guys. To think in the beginning we were all worried to get ripped off. I have not regretted getting the raptor for one second! Thank you very much for keeping up with us.

Torque Bikes said:

Ziva can you tell us what model Schlump High Speed Drive works with the Raptor so when we order it we don't order the wrong thing. Obviously as an after order we need to order the shaving tool and adjustment tools.

Thanks

Dark Knight said:
Hi chaps

You can, but you need to mount some type of footpegs on each side of the bottom bracket, or like Offroad said, you will be able to menuever worth a shit. Plus if you manage to go off a jump and stay on the bike, you would wrack the sack hard. Thats definately a no no for guys.

Hey guys thought I would share. I found out what the 5 large screws on the Cromotor v3 are for. Here it is from the horses mouth:

Customer message: Hello, I was wondering on the Cromotor v3 I purchased a while back I sent the covers to be powder coated and noticed the five bolts circled in the picture. They don't seem to hold anything together as it is all one piece can you tell me what the five large bolts are for? Curiosity is driving me crazy. Thanks.
------------------------------------
Hi there,

They do not hold anything at the moment. Perhaps they are JUST to drive engineers crazy?

Best regards,

Technical Director
----------------------------------
So if you want to shave some weight off and you have yours apart you can remove them. Between the steel rotor adapter bracket which I no longer use, (Made my own out of aluminum) The housing bolts x16, the Freewheel adapter bolts and nuts x8 which I have swapped for titanium version and the steel bearings which I have changed for ceramic versions, and now the bolts, I bet I have shaved 2lbs of the Cromotor. 24 to 22 lbs :0)

ecruz said:
Hey guys thought I would share. I found out what the 5 large screws on the Cromotor v3 are for. Here it is from the horses mouth:

Customer message: Hello, I was wondering on the Cromotor v3 I purchased a while back I sent the covers to be powder coated and noticed the five bolts circled in the picture. They don't seem to hold anything together as it is all one piece can you tell me what the five large bolts are for? Curiosity is driving me crazy. Thanks.
------------------------------------
Hi there,

They do not hold anything at the moment. Perhaps they are JUST to drive engineers crazy?

Best regards,

Technical Director
----------------------------------
So if you want to shave some weight off and you have yours apart you can remove them. Between the steel rotor adapter bracket which I no longer use, (Made my own out of aluminum) The housing bolts x16, the Freewheel adapter bolts and nuts x8 which I have swapped for titanium version and the steel bearings which I have changed for ceramic versions, and now the bolts, I bet I have shaved 2lbs of the Cromotor. 24 to 22 lbs :0)

Damn Cruz, got to like their sense of humor. Yah thos big bolts probably knocked off a pound by them selves. Yep light is better. :mrgreen:

ecruz, did you get your bike up and running yet?

It is hard to imagine that they would put those bolts in there for no reason, maybe it has something to do with balance?

Dark Knight said:
Presumably this only comes with the standard 27T chainring? Do you offer any other chain ring options? Comes with crank arms and trouser guard as well I suspect? And is it always anodized black as the picture on your website shows?
Sorry I wasn't too precise. The price on website includes:
- High Speed Drive with longer axle,
- Chainring 27 t. h-s-d,
- Crankarms 160mm black x 2,
- Lube 5ml MoS2,
- Surcharge for axle special length.

That's right, ecruz, If you already have the Raptor you might consider ordering the tools for installation and maintenance with instruction manual (its about 27€ without VAT).

Yes, I think there is only black. Here is the Q-factor and other dims of the Schlumpf:

Dark Knight said:
As always, thanks for the feedback - you're certainly leading by example in terms of interactions with customers and ongoing refinements.
ecruz said:
Ziva, all I can say is wow you guys are amazing. I must say I am so surprised as to the customer service and stand behind your product attitude from you guys. To think in the beginning we were all worried to get ripped off. I have not regretted getting the raptor for one second! Thank you very much for keeping up with us.

Tnx guys for saying so, so great to hear you are pleased! :) The truth is, you have given us just as much in return. Love getting the feedback from you, since is always straightforward, to the point, and with good intent. I promise we'll try to incorporate as much of your suggestions and comments as possible in the future as well. Thanks again!

Oh, and thx also to ES moderators for not keeping the same archaic policy as other forums, and giving the producers chance to post as themselves.

Yeah I get that I would need foot pegs. I contacted Qulbix and they say they are working on an option to go with pedals or footpegs and still be able to change in the future. Pretty cool when a manufacturer listens to feedback and takes steps to improve their product.
So who has a noobie battery option for the raptor with max energy density that is less likely to catch fire and with simplified wiring? I know not asking for much am I.
Also where is the best place to get a cromotor and controller? I will definately go with the 19 MC rear and 16 MB front wheels. The ? is where do I get them made up? I saw people talking about pro wheels. Any body have contact info?

baja ebiker said:
Yeah I get that I would need foot pegs. I contacted Qulbix and they say they are working on an option to go with pedals or footpegs and still be able to change in the future. Pretty cool when a manufacturer listens to feedback and takes steps to improve their product.
So who has a noobie battery option for the raptor with max energy density that is less likely to catch fire and with simplified wiring? I know not asking for much am I.
Also where is the best place to get a cromotor and controller? I will definately go with the 19 MC rear and 16 MB front wheels. The ? is where do I get them made up? I saw people talking about pro wheels. Any body have contact info?

The company that you want to build your 19" prowheel MC is voltriders. Their webpage address is www.voltriders.com.

You can buy the cromotor from zombiess, or I think you can order the raptor with the cromotor from Qulbix.

I guess the problem is that a lot of people who want to build these bikes don't have the experience of battery building. It does take a lot of research to be able to build your own batteries, but very doable.

My recommendation is to just buy Turnigy Lipo batteries. Buy them cheap and stack them deep.

baja ebiker said:
Thanks Offroader. I asked Qulbix about ordering frame with cromotor and it is not available at this time. I'll just source it elsewhere. Dark Knight looking forward to your build.

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to building it. Will likely take a few months as some of the proposed parts are "out of stock" at the moment but I'm happy to take my time - wanna make sure I 'buy once, buy right'. Did Qulbix give you an idea as to when they're considering implementing the foot peg/crank option? Wonder if it'll be retro-fittable...?

On another note, if you're yet to pull the trigger on a frame, might be worth giving Hyena a holler - he is offering frames with free shipping which will probably save you around 100 euros I suspect... He's an Ozzie dealer so not sure what the agreement is that he has with Qulbix but could be worth punt...

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a raptor moto frame. Want to go over my parts list?

Raptor moto kit
Schlumpf drive
Regen only, no rear brake
Marz c2r2
Lyen 18 FET beefed up
Cromotor V2
LiPos 125v @ 60a
Formula R0 on a 203mm front
19" 1.4 rear pro wheel
MTBR front wheel

Im going to start shopping for batteries. I'm not really keen on doing all the battery balancing for LiPos. I wouldnt mind some input to help me decide. If money were no object, what battery pack would you get? Should i be looking for packs that are 160mm that will lay horizontally? Is there a way to modulate regen or increase it so it will be a better rear brake? Should I mod the cromotor? I read where some guys remove about 2 pounds out of it.

Thanks!

Damn Longshot 125V at 60Ah will make for a fast Machine. You should be joining the 100KPH/ 62MPH club with that. I would really rethink the rear brake issue though. As I have read with other Raptor builders, its not an issue with a 165mm wide swingarm getting the rear brake caliper to line up with the rotor with enough space away from the stator cover. As you can see with Offroader's build the 19MC rear wheel does work well with a 26MTB front. And I can attest it also works very good with a 24MTB front. The 888 C2s are an excellent lower budget choice. Jenson had some 888s that were a year old for sale, I put a 2012 888 on my bike in 2013 for 600 bucks. Hard to be that. If you insist on going the Lipo route, PM Jones CG on ES. He will build you a kick ass plug-n charge and balance pack. He can probably build you a 30s 15Ah pack that would fall right into the frame. No matter what, if you are not lipo savvy, I wouldn't try to build that kind of pack myself. 30s pack 126V hot off the charger, will electrocute you if you make a mistake with spaghetti wiring harness. At least with 20s and less, you will get burned, but most likely not dead. Just something to think about. The Cromotor apparently has 6 large hex head bolts inside on the stator armature that when removed probably cuts a pound out. Switching out some steel parts for aluminum (such as the disk spacer) and going with ceramic bearings lightens things up more. That what I recalled from the earlier blog I read. What color combos are you getting for the raptor?

i dont would give it a try to ride with that bike without a rearbrake(!)
Regen is ok. But i seems that you never have ridden a bike with regen brake....its ok. but no replacement for a real brake.

can you plz tell me why you will go for 30s (125v?)

30s12p - 7.5kwh!?! that has got to be the largest ebike battery pack of all time. i think that might even rival many of the electric motorcycles on here. im guessing the 30s is to achieve a higher top speed? with the 19in moto wheel that would have to be something around 70mph. also running higher voltage allows running slightly less amps for the same amount of power. 4115's can take the voltage but not the amps of something like the 4110.

Back