• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Qulbix Raptor ebike + frame kit

SUpowerbattery just advised their shipping agent won't take anything more than 5kg as of a few days ago.

There goes that idea.

I was really hoping on a full built pack as I have no experience in building packs or wiring up a BMS.

Although I'll see what they say in a few days, as they're looking for a new shipper.

There's a credit card number in that photo... :shock:

well spotted :D
but its just an atm card so im not bothered.

free hall sensor for anyone who can read the name.... :lol:

ridethelightning said:
well spotted :D
but its just an atm card so im not bothered.

free hall sensor for anyone who can read the name.... :lol:

Erik?

Anyone around 183cm tall able to recommend me a good stem head tube length and handlebar length? Assuming a diameter of 1.1/8"? Been told 80mm for downhill, and over 100mm if you're planning high speeds...

Also interested in seatpost length for my height, considering I don't want the seatpost to show through the bottom of the tube. I don't have my frame yet, so was trying to have this sorted before it arrives so I don't waste time :)

marcn said:
Anyone around 183cm tall able to recommend me a good stem head tube length and handlebar length? Assuming a diameter of 1.1/8"? Been told 80mm for downhill, and over 100mm if you're planning high speeds...

Also interested in seatpost length for my height, considering I don't want the seatpost to show through the bottom of the tube. I don't have my frame yet, so was trying to have this sorted before it arrives so I don't waste time :)

My recommendation is not to get a long stem on the bike. The reason why bike riders get long stems is for certain handling characteristics. The long stem helps with pedaling while climbing a hill, something you won't be doing with the raptor. None of this really matters with an ebike. Get the short stem and sit upright and comfortable.

I bought the truvativ 40mm stem length and could not be happier. I didn't think down hillers needed the long stem length, that was more for cross country bikes. I believe down hillers want a shorter stem for better handling downhill or what they do.

Handlebar length is total preference. Get what you feel comfortable with. You probably don't need an ultra wide handlebars that downhillers use because you will not be taking turns as fast and as hard because an ebike is just not as agile as a downhill bike. I could be wrong here but that is what I believe.

On my old cross country bike I had a long stem and I just loved having a short stem on my raptor bike. No reason to lean forward and be uncomfortable.

I can't recommend anything with the seat post. I believe that torque raptor made a lower seat post attachment and I would recommend you get that one. I highly recommend the motorcycle seat anyway.

The raptor with the motorcycle seat, short stem makes for a very comfortable upright seating position ride. You will feel like you are riding around in a Cadillac, as we would say here in America. You can ride all day long and because of the motorcycle seat you don't have to always stand over all the bumps.

I ride very fast speeds over rough ground and most of the time I don't bother to stand. With my old cross country ebike, I had to always stand up as the bicycle seat would just kill me.

I agree with the short stem. You can shift your body with the moto seat, so easy to lean forward or backwards if you need too on hills.
I'm about 168cm and the shorter bike seat assembly works perfectly for me. The standard assembly is for taller people, which could work for you.

G'day thrill seekers. If any of you are like me, you may enjoy vicariously building bikes through other sphere members... To that end, just thought I'd kick off the thought bubble around my (hopefully) imminent Raptor build (i.e. this is a thinly veiled attempt to get you guys to help me source the best kit). Any of our Northern American friends that may be willing to help, please keep in mind the heightened posting costs from your neck of the woods...particularly from the US. Posting from HK, Taiwan, China etc. is favourable (although guarantees of actually getting product not always so...).

Some of the inspirations to this build so far are snellemin, moonshine (now sold), e-fuel, offroader, uschi k. etc

Sooo....let's get started.

Frame - hmmm....toughie...maybe Raptor. Colour is key here...still undecided. I like the black and orange that eride in Austria have made (picture in spinning magnets electric bike article on raptor), also have thought about black frame with red attachments and wheels...or black with silver attachments and silver wheels...choices....but essentially I prefer the main frame to be black (as much as I like E Fuel and offroaders builds)...however depends on fork colour as well...oh the choices.

Wheels - thinking 19 x 1.85 prowheels (maybe 1.4 at front....) with Shinko SR241 2.75 rubber front and back...I do like the symmetry of same size wheels. Would think about possibly 18 in pros on back with 3 inch rubber...open to suggestions. Colours to work in with frame above. (have found prowheels for 35 per rim on eBay but postage is 90 for 2 to oz...i.e. more than the wheels - any suggestions for local MC rims or cheaper postage gratefully accepted).

Tubes - suggestions?

Rim liners - worthwhile?

Motor - Cromotor V3 (dual halls and dual temp probe)

Front Hub - DMR Revolver Hub? Other suggestions?

Controller - MaxE Adaptto

Display - MaxE Adaptto

BMS - Adaptto proprietary for MaxE adaptto

Batteries - most likely LiPo hopefully built by jonescg (based in Perth)...but open to 18650 cells for safety and longevity if realistic (Hyena built?) - 20pXs unless adaptto release 150v version of MaxE...then maybe 28sXp depending
on what fits most elegantly in the frame

Charger - 48+V powersupply depending on battery configuration (need to find out more but with the MaxE and cap and coil, you can charge directly from a power supply) (perhaps 2 of wired in series in going greater than 24s...?) Other suggestions?

Forks - Dual Crown presumably. Mazzie 888s? Fox 40 RC2? Manitou Dorado Pro/Expert? What's the suggested Crown to Axel height presuming I'm running the same sized tires (19x2.75) front and rear?

Rear Shock - Fox DHX RC4? Rockshox Vivid R2C? Manitou revocation? Others? Will likely go for 10.5 x 3.5, looking for suggestions on 'spring weight' given I weigh in @ 110ks/230lbs (my 'fighting' weight is early to mid 90's - just enjoyed too many pies and beer lately...)

Head Set - depends on forks to a degree...does it?

Stem - open to suggestions

Handlebars - like the idea of the flex bars but as with others, not sure if I'd fully use them. Again, open too suggestions...

Throttle - ?

Switches (handle bars) (front lights high, front lights low, rear lights, controller, motor, horn/bell...?) (will depend on Fusebox/switch controller to a degree)

Bottom Bracket Axel - ?

Crank Arms - 165mm...less?

Pedals - would like pretty platform like - Snellemins look pretty good

Fusebox/switch controller - there is a motocycle unit called the Motogadget m-Unit V2 http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/...m-unit-digit-tastersteuerung-u-sicherung.html which includes a gravity based alarm. Overkill for an ebike? Or sensible solutiuon to route many wires through?

Seat Post - ?

Seat post clamp - ?

Seat - ?

Brake Levers - Magura MT2/4, Shimano Zees (pressure switches/ebrake and motor cutoff activation?)

Brake Calipers - Magura MT2/4, Shimano Zees

Brake Discs - Hayes 203mm? Duals on front (guess this will be fork dependent...?)

GPS locator - suggestions?

Please feel free to provide suggestions of what else I'll need (wires etc.) - as this will be the first ground up build I've done, I'll need all the help/advice I can get. Does anyone know if as a security measure, we can 'lock' the motor? Some of the controllers allow a complete wheel lock (bring to complete stop) regen mode...was wondering if this could be 'accessed' to lock the motor...? Would stop people being able to grab the puppy and cycle away...

I want to get an idea of parts as I'll start scouring out for them. Hopeing to get quality second hand and/or last year run out models for lots of the bike parts (forks, rear shock, brake levers etc.) so just wanting to button down list whilst I'm still sorting purchase of the frame.

Let the discourse begin...

Peace :D

try the new Domino pot throttle.
like a magura but looks like much better quality.

thum throttle for varyable regen brake

if you cant get good qual lipo or eig pouch cells etc, consider samsung 25R cells from supower battery.

-definately got the adaptto max-e/cromotor part right! :D

I got Three Questions:

1.How long does the build and shipping take together for the raptor frame? (average waiting time)

2 will a "72V 10AH LiFePO4 Battery Pack" Be able to take a bike up to 40mph with a cromotor?

3. I dont want to travel more then 15 miles, do i actully still need to get the huge 72v 10ah or 72v ah20 to get up to 40mph on a cromotor?

The reason why im nose diving into LiFePO4 is basically because im worried with my zero experience with electronics that i may just be a danger to myself and others in my family if i use these inside the house ect, The bike will be used on privet farm land and permission in the family has already been given so getting some advise here before i order.

Not many people speaking on the subject of these raptors anymore, almost as if the bike has died off.

lifeupjimbob said:
How long does the build and shipping take together though?

I believe build is around 3-4 weeks and then shipping will depend on where it's going I suspect. Snellemin in Texas appears to have got his about a month after ordering - 3 weeks for build and 1 week for shipping - I see you also posted on his thread. I'm not in a rush myself as I have my commuter/cross country leccy bike which keeps me moving. The raptor build is a (likely misguided) attempt to rediscover my mis spent youth by hitting some serious trails and moto tracks/jumps...I think it's early onset of midlife crisis. :D

Surprised you haven't heard back from them - I got pretty swift responses to any queries. If you are serious about a frame, there is an ES member called hyena who is based in oz and is offering the frame for about AUD1500 (USD1400-1450 at current exchange rate) delivered - check page 126 of his thread here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8482&start=3125. Qulbix also offer group by discount with multiple purchases - 20% if you can get 10+ buyers if you can get enough interest.

Keep us posted on your plans though. PM if you like - happy to forward you extracts of info I've received from Ziva at Qulbix.

Apologies - you edited your post whilst I was posting. To answer your other 2 questions -
2. 72v battery for 40mph. That depends on what wheels your planning on using - i.e the outside diameter of the rear wheel. It also depends on the controller. If I remember correctly, the cromotor has a kv of 9.3 - this means for every volt the motor will rotate 9.3 times. 72v means the wheel will rotate 670 times - pretty sure that'll be enough for 40mph even with 24inch wheels.
3. If you plan on travelling 40mph for any distance you'll need plenty of watt hours of battery. A 55kg/120lbs bike with male weight shooting around @ 40 mph on farm tracks will chew juice. If you're planning on the raptor I'd personally plan on plenty of watt hours.

Re: all quiet on the chat front, I'm hoping it's because everyone who's got one is out riding...

Hope this helps. Plenty of info on the sphere to get you up to speed.

ridethelightning said:
try the new Domino pot throttle.
like a magura but looks like much better quality.

thum throttle for varyable regen brake

if you cant get good qual lipo or eig pouch cells etc, consider samsung 25R cells from supower battery.

-definately got the adaptto max-e/cromotor part right! :D

Thanks for the info rtl. Am definitely considering the 25Rs just not sure how to build em. Terminating them is meant to be a bit of a beeatch. I guess if they come ready terminated in 10p, it's just setting them up in series...hopefully you tube would be my friend. I do really like the work Jonescg is doing with lipos in Perth - how clean and complete his builds are.

Good advice on thumb throttle - will add that to the list. Thinking of making a unique (pre) build thread so this isn't 'hidden' in a longer thread.

What's your ride(s) mate? And how's things down in the Apple Isle?

soldering up the 10p lots in series is a piece of cake.

just cut up some 1mm copper strip and make plates across between the spotwlded strips they come with. best done between the cells.

ZnCl soldering paste works really well.i have an 80w soldering iron.

li-ion is safer than lipo i believe, and more compact than lifepo4.

my rides are a bit off the radar...the apple isle is too small for comfort sometimes...people dating their sisters an stuff.....

Attachments

• PICT0498.JPG
    PICT0498.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,025
  • PICT0515.JPG
    PICT0515.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,025
Dark Knight

To be honest my total budget will be around $3,362, im pretty confident i can create a bike which will be around 40mph with that budget, But it's all down to the lifepo4 battery.

Im either going to choose A controller maybe around 18fet from
chttp://www.lyen.com/ontroller

Or order this controller straight from the manufacture
http://younghoper.en.made-in-china.com/product/TotnIuSravfZ/China-48V-5kw-Brushless-Motor-Controller.html

"48V 5kw Brushless Motor Controller"

Now all i need to do is choose a battery but it has to be a lifepo4

48v 20ah?
48v 10ah?
78v 10ah?
78v 20ah?

Raptor has actually given a diagram of the battery box on the raptor, but im pretty crap at reading diagrams specs.
what battery size would you think would fit the frame?

would like to pop in a 78v but i have a feeling it's not going to fit.

p.s are you going to be using lipos?

lifeupjimbob said:
Dark Knight

To be honest my total budget will be around $3,362, im pretty confident i can create a bike which will be around 40mph with that budget, But it's all down to the lifepo4 battery.

Im either going to choose A controller maybe around 18fet from
chttp://www.lyen.com/ontroller

Or order this controller straight from the manufacture
http://younghoper.en.made-in-china.com/product/TotnIuSravfZ/China-48V-5kw-Brushless-Motor-Controller.html

"48V 5kw Brushless Motor Controller"

Now all i need to do is choose a battery but it has to be a lifepo4

48v 20ah?
48v 10ah?
78v 10ah?
78v 20ah?

Raptor has actually given a diagram of the battery box on the raptor, but im pretty crap at reading diagrams specs.
what battery size would you think would fit the frame?

would like to pop in a 78v but i have a feeling it's not going to fit.

p.s are you going to be using lipos?

Lifeupjimbob

That's a very precise max build budget - presumably it's pounds converted to usd or something - 2000 pounds maybe?
I'd go for the Lyen controller over the other Chinese jobby...but that based on Lyen having a good rep in the sphere and not any type of experience...

With regards to battery - with the raptors frame space, you should have no problems with 70+ volts - if you take the hobby king lifepos as an example https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking..._Flightmax_8400mAh_4S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack.html these suckers are 150mm in the biggest dimension and you could lie them down and easily fit enough for a 5x2 configuration (raptor box is 160 wide). Hot off the charger this would give you your 78v....not sure of the amps you could pull though... That config would give you 16.8ah.

Re: lipos, I'd consider it cause there is a class A lipo builder in Perth who builds with PCB boards and external cases for safety - stick to the charging rules and you should be good as gold. Doesn't help you if you're overseas (from oz) though as shipping would be prohibitive.

Just remember if your budget is too limited things like forks and rear shock will suffer...and therefore the overall ride will suffer. This frame begs for quality forks and suspension....and that doesn't come cheap.

Good luck with it all!

DK

ridethelightning said:
soldering up the 10p lots in series is a piece of cake.

just cut up some 1mm copper strip and make plates across between the spotwlded strips they come with. best done between the cells.

ZnCl soldering paste works really well.i have an 80A soldering iron.

li-ion is safer than lipo i believe, and more compact than lifepo4.

my rides are a bit off the radar...the apple isle is too small for comfort sometimes...people dating their sisters an stuff.....

Hey rtl

If I go the li ion path, I'll definitely be hitting you up for some advice - I'd seen your pictures before.
Understand the off the radar thing re:rides - probably wise!
Surely not all you lads on the Apple Isle are into the sister thing...? You certainly produce some great cricketers so the extra arm reputation can't be completely discounted :lol:

Back