Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

Ken Taylor said:
megacycle said:
The CA seems very last century in comparison to Speedict.
Perhaps, but their engineering process is as good as it gets. Methodical, open and thorough. There is an amazing amount of detail at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=571345#p571345 . I'm an admirer, even if not a customer.
megacycle said:
The wireless arrangement even though it's having issues, the device is so novel and new, got to be expected, especially when yeh we're asking for so many functions, suprising no one's asked if it can make a cup of coffee, yet :wink:
Yes, the possibilities are large.

Hi Ken i'm using a CA V2 myself, ive blown a controller twice and a speedict, Thanks by the way Danny for the prompt repair, i can attest to the CA's rocking solidness, definetly with you there and i understand the newer version's probably full of functions and upgrades, what makes me look away is older looking tech packaging eg limited lcd, human and cable interfacing that's just turning me off them some, if the hardware mods are there for the inrush, 80V+ and high current for Speedict, all thats needed is to be able to lock settings in solidly and not just give up adhoc or under fault conditions, then i dont see how it's not any less as good, but with added total versatility, if the design and manafacure and ongoing backup is solid.

speedict said:
by the way ken, your speedict mercury was not brick, it was damaged by over voltage

I was aware mine wasn't bricked as you previously advised I had a hardware failure and thanks for the additional information. However, I hope it is was not "over voltage" or the replacement Speedict will probably fail as well because I haven't changed the battery/controller configuration. I have A123-3.3VB Lithium Ion batteries (see http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=16575) in a 10S4P configuration (nominally 33 volt) and a Model: LBD14 controller (see http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_73&product_id=159 ) . I expect this should be OK with a Speedict, is that right?

One thing I've been wondering is, would a Speedict be damaged if the ground and +5V pins on a port were shorted? I would expect it to be able to handle this and I don't think I shorted them, but its not impossible as I had an unterminated cable connected to the throttle output port when it failed.

I have so far been unsuccessful in getting the throttle control to work and want to check on the wiring. The Pin Port connection diagram
8596861480_2c02a8c0e6.jpg

in http://speedict.com/user-guide/mercury/speedict-mercury-user-guide-rev-1-0-0.pdf pg 7 shows 3 wires to the speed controller throttle input. This didn't seem correct to me as the Speedict provides a +ve 5 volt supply and the speed controller also provides a +ve 5 volt supply intended for powering the throttle. I though it should work with just the signal wire connected but I connected the ground to the speed controller throttle input ground as well so that I had 2 wires from the Speedict connected to the speed controller throttle input. There seems a risk of earth loops with the grounds connected. Should I connect just the signal wire or should the +ve 5 volt supply really be connected somehow to the speed controller?

megacycle said:
Hi Ken i'm using a CA V2 myself, ive blown a controller twice and a speedict, Thanks by the way Danny for the prompt repair, i can attest to the CA's rocking solidness, definetly with you there and i understand the newer version's probably full of functions and upgrades, what makes me look away is older looking tech packaging eg limited lcd, human and cable interfacing that's just turning me off them some, if the hardware mods are there for the inrush, 80V+ and high current for Speedict, all thats needed is to be able to lock settings in solidly and not just give up adhoc or under fault conditions, then i dont see how it's not any less as good, but with added total versatility, if the design and manafacure and ongoing backup is solid.

Yes, I prefer the Speedict concept for all the same reasons which is why I bought one.

Ken Taylor said:
according to our engineers, your mercury was damage might caused by pin port voltage, not 5v from speed controller, it was higher voltage, that kind of damage we had experienced before, so please do make sure connect to port pin not more than 5v, i was told by customer who just for some reason (he didn't told me the detail) inside his controller contacted high voltage line to its throttle signal wire and the symptom look similar !

again ! i am still no saying your mercury was caused by that but as experienced it MIGHT ....

Ken Taylor said:
This didn't seem correct to me as the Speedict provides a +ve 5 volt supply and the speed controller also provides a +ve 5 volt supply intended for powering the throttle. I though it should work with just the signal wire connected but I connected the ground to the speed controller throttle input ground as well so that I had 2 wires from the Speedict connected to the speed controller throttle input. There seems a risk of earth loops with the grounds connected. Should I connect just the signal wire or should the +ve 5 volt supply really be connected somehow to the speed controller?

you don't need to connect 5v from speed controller to speedict's 5v port pin, see attached wire assignment from user guide !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 10.46.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 10.46.48 AM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,112
speedict said:
according to our engineers, your mercury was damage might caused by pin port voltage, not 5v from speed controller, it was higher voltage, that kind of damage we had experienced before, so please do make sure connect to port pin not more than 5v, i was told by customer who just for some reason (he didn't told me the detail) inside his controller contacted high voltage line to its throttle signal wire and the symptom look similar !

again ! i am still no saying your mercury was caused by that but as experienced it MIGHT ....
I can see it would fry if high voltage was connected to a signal pin. It didn't get a high voltage from the speed controller as the signal pin was not connected to the speed controller when it failed. If battery voltage came into contact with a signal pin, that would do it. I don't think that occurred but I can't be sure.

speedict said:
you don't need to connect 5v from speed controller to speedict's 5v port pin, see attached wire assignment from user guide !

Thanks for the response. I didn't see that guide. It also means the Speedict Mercury User Guide at http://speedict.com/user-guide/mercury/speedict-mercury-user-guide-rev-1-0-0.pdf pg 7 and pictured in post http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919&start=950#p719573 has an error. This is the guide linked from the Speedict Mercury Download page. It shows three wires from the Speedict to the Speed Controller throttle input.

I sent some extra money for the longer cable and the hassle.

does speedict work fine with xperia go ?

Ken Taylor said:
Thanks for the response. I didn't see that guide. It also means the Speedict Mercury User Guide at http://speedict.com/user-guide/mercury/speedict-mercury-user-guide-rev-1-0-0.pdf pg 7 and pictured in post http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919&start=950#p719573 has an error. This is the guide linked from the Speedict Mercury Download page. It shows three wires from the Speedict to the Speed Controller throttle input.

page 7 of user guide shown and indicated port 4 should connected to speed controller's throttle input port on road legal 2 mode with one thick "black" cable, it didn't shown its pin assignment, did you download and read the android user guide ?

dh-paule said:
does speedict work fine with xperia go ?

theoretically yes because it is android device, however some phone's rom might have issues with its bluetooth and gps, we are keep working to resolve it case by case ...

remember google is your best friend, you can google "sony xperia go bluetooth problem" to see if it has bluetooth issue, anyway don't worry about the result because most of the bluetooth issues on android customer rom we have resolved and we have found why custom rom has such stupid issues ....

by google "samsunf s3 bluetooth problem" you can see what's going on !!!!!

maybe here is a user with a xperia go that can tell if it works. At the moment I dont have any android device and thinking about buying an xperia go or cat b15 (both are waterproof). Want to use it as a display, logging, tracking device that provides maps and a phone too

dh-paule said:
maybe here is a user with a xperia go that can tell if it works. At the moment I dont have any android device and thinking about buying an xperia go or cat b15 (both are waterproof). Want to use it as a display, logging, tracking device that provides maps and a phone too

i was told by our users the following model work ok !

LT26i
ST17i
ST17i
X10i

just ordered one speedict, as soon it will arrive I willorder the xperia go and post testing results

got my xperia go yesterday and installed the speedict android client + the speedict mecury client.
Both can be started but all I can see is a black screen with the name + version + copyright.

Is it correct that the apps doenst show anything if no speedict is connected ?

made an update from 2.3 to 4.0
reinstalled the app, now the menu is available
:D

like the multi data view, looks really good

dh-paule said:
made an update from 2.3 to 4.0
reinstalled the app, now the menu is available
:D

like the multi data view, looks really good

i have tested mercury on sony xperia J today, the good news is ... most of its features working, the bad news is the bluetooth like samsung before (samsung solved), on firmware upgrade when mercury restart sony wasn't restart its bluetooth connection as well therefore the connection was hang there, to resolve and complete the firmware upgrade, i need to disconnect mercury from battery, force mercury closed and restart, restart the firmware process then it will continue the rest of firmware upgrade process ... will investigate its rom and bluetooth tomorrow !

even with this glitches, sony's rom look better than samsung :)

I have been using the old speedict for over a year now, I started first using the "simply cut" setting,

now I have done my second build and I'm using the pas to throttle setting (still have a hidden throttle on my handlebars connected to the controller with diodes) and it also works like a dream! it limits the power to EU standards (250W / 25km/h) without a problem on a 18FET controller with a 65Amp setting, it takes some time playing with settings in the android app but once you get them right you are in heaven :twisted:

nothing bad to say about this product!

a screenshot from my tablet:
34pjqzk.jpg

I did had to solder some thicker cables (6mm²) on the speedict and that went without problems and the shunt is eating the 80Amps like it is nothing :lol: (just had to test it :p )

Awesome Product! it's been a year and it still works like new 8) (I never turn it off tho)

3nslav3 said:
I have been using the old speedict for over a year now, I started first using the "simply cut" setting,

now I have done my second build and I'm using the pas to throttle setting (still have a hidden throttle on my handlebars connected to the controller with diodes) and it also works like a dream! it limits the power to EU standards (250W / 25km/h) without a problem on a 18FET controller with a 65Amp setting, it takes some time playing with settings in the android app but once you get them right you are in heaven :twisted:

The new build, is it with the Mercury or the older eBike from Speedict?
My Mercury / HTC Desire combo still has some issues, I don't know if they are bugs in the ROM or in the product but they are getting fxed one by one by the Speedict team.
I still haven't connected the PAS sensor or the throttle though.

3nslav3 said:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/34pjqzk.jpg

Interesting stuff, which tablet are you using and how did you mount it to your bike?
Any pictures?

/Anders

My Mercury / HTC Desire combo still has some issues, I don't know if they are bugs in the ROM or in the product but they are getting fixed one by one by the Speedict team.
Same Here?
My Mercury & Samsung G3 combo still has Heaps of issues .
after Receiving and Some Problems Returned to Hong Kong and got it back last week Worked for a bout 2 days now will not link to Android.
Now Useless!
Originally the unit had an interface with PC Via USB and that is why I purchased it.
Now I am Disappointed
cant do any thing
just bin it

rroland said:
Same Here?
My Mercury & Samsung G3 combo still has Heaps of issues .
after Receiving and Some Problems Returned to Hong Kong and got it back last week Worked for a bout 2 days now will not link to Android.
Now Useless!
Originally the unit had an interface with PC Via USB and that is why I purchased it.
Now I am Disappointed
cant do any thing
just bin it

last time your problem was incorrect setting e.g. 4v voltage cutoff therefore your Mercury not working, this time might be hardware issues since you have reported bluetooth green led not flashing, i do suggest you send it back for repair or inspection.

the reason why we keep USB port on Mercury because we can provide additional features when we have, however nothing we can do even with USB is on Mercury such as hardware failure or firmware issues !

just a question, my bomber battery usually is <80V but charging goes to 86V
is this a problem for mercury ?

Ahoog said:
3nslav3 said:

My Mercury / HTC Desire combo still has some issues, I don't know if they are bugs in the ROM or in the product but they are getting fxed one by one by the Speedict team.

3nslav3 said:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/34pjqzk.jpg

Interesting stuff, which tablet are you using and how did you mount it to your bike?
Any pictures?

/Anders

I'm using the older ebike speedict but I'm willing to give the newer version a shot tho, I'm not scared of breaking anything :p plenty of space in the battbox! hell I'll even install 2 of them :twisted:

I mainly use the speedict because it is stealth and gets the power / speed limiting job done without anyone noticing 8)

when I get home it connects to my tablet so i can monitor the charging rate/temps/voltage while I'm in the living room / kitchen / hobby room (the tablet is a nexus 7)

to monitor the bike while riding I use a CA due to it being a lot more weatherproof then a phone (i always have my android phone with bluetooth enabled in my pocket just in case), the CA 2.3 is a perfect ebike monitor but it is kinda slow to change stuff (best from both worlds I'd say)

people seem to think (from what I read here) that the CA is the best or the speedict is the best but I think having both is even better :lol:

this is my ebike:
33cotqr.jpg

thx to the speedict it only goes 25km/h @ 250Watt with the PAS sensor while the controller is set @ 65 Amps or more and goes 70km/h+ :lol:

build topic:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48605

there is a very good gps app "locus pro" that offers an overlay functionality to show selectable values as a layer at the map, maybe speedict data could be send to this app too ?

http://www.locusmap.eu/

Back