• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

not much vids of the speedict in action so I've made 1, the video doesn't show an android device but a CA screen instead

you can see that the PAS to throttle with 250Watt / 25km/h governor works like a dream while the controller is set @ 65Amps

http://youtu.be/Pq4WhfSb1b4

[youtube]Pq4WhfSb1b4[/youtube]

this is how it is connected: (diode in series with the speedict throttle output)

167un80.jpg

3nslav3 said:
not much vids of the speedict in action so I've made 1, the video doesn't show an android device but a CA screen instead

you can see that the PAS to throttle with 250Watt / 25km/h governor works like a dream while the controller is set @ 65Amps
I see a lovely housing estate, a battery voltage of 72V, it looks like regen braking and I think I saw 4.5 kw of power at one stage but I can't figure out the purpose of the electrical circuit or what the video is aiming to demonstrate. The throttle doesn't look hidden and does it always accelerate to 25 km/h when you pedal?

the pas is always 250w - 25km/h EU legal depending on how the speedict is set up ( should make a new vid because it works a lot smoother now)

the throttle overrides the pas sensor resulting in full power output without speed limit, the throttle doesnt need to be hidden because its a shifter with a hall sensor build in (looks like a shifter but acts like a throttle)

As I have understood from earlier postings, speedict can be programmed with a software button to switch between road-legal PAS mode and offroad-no limits. Wouldn't this be a lot better? I prefer a normal throttle that does work when I want to use it and that will be useless in road-legal mode, especially when you get pulled over by the police.
Maybe Danny can indicate if this update will be available soon.

Thought I would share my out of box experience with my new Mars Speedict. Two invoices included, one for the gear and one for the software (interesting business model I assume for tax/tarrif reasons). Took about 10 days to arrive from HK.

Attached is the photo of what you get. I've included two piles of nickles to show the size scale. Was surprised at how small the device is, and the two piles of nickles also represents how much it weights (36 grams, I think a nickle is 5 grams; 8 nickles).

When syncing to Bluetooth, use five zeros, not four as shown. Also, it is Data View, not Date View as shown on the menu. I'm having challenges getting session information. Lots of little challenges like this, but assume everything is going to work itself out. For me these kinds of challenges are to be expected with newer technology like this device. Haven't hooked up the speed or the temperature sensors yet; for another endless sphere post in the future.

Don't know how this company is going to survive, with all the different android devices, all the different android software versions, Bluetooth challenges. Tech support seems like it would be never ending. The power from battery to controller should be the same for all e-bikes. PAS and other sensors might be a challenge for the various bikes.

Hope this helps.

IHatePedalling said:
As I have understood from earlier postings, speedict can be programmed with a software button to switch between road-legal PAS mode and offroad-no limits. Wouldn't this be a lot better? I prefer a normal throttle that does work when I want to use it and that will be useless in road-legal mode, especially when you get pulled over by the police.
Maybe Danny can indicate if this update will be available soon.

hi, why you don't want throttle on legal mode ?

In The Netherlands I do believe that the use of a throttle is against the law. Compromise would be a throttle start up to max 6 km/hr.

By regulations of EU it is required that you pedal if the motor assists. But for sure you can manage the power (within the 250W limit) with a throttle, no problem.
The maximum speed without(!) pedaling is 6km/h, with pedaling up to 25 km/h

If we want to be pedal assisted by a 250 Watt motor, then it is cheaper to buy a prefab road-legal bike. But I think that the people who are buying a speedict, actually do run bikes with maybe 1000 Watt motors and want to use the power on the road occasionally. I can imagine the situation that someone would drive over 25 km/ hr ( and not pedalling), then the road-legal button on speedict would make speedict a unique device that could mean the difference of the bike being confiscated or not.
The people on this forum are not the pensioners with the mentioned road-legal bikes you can buy in any high street.

It is not for fun that 3nslav3 actually does have a stealth like throttle. But when the police will be suspicious about the bike's performance and bring it in for research then it is a bit naive to think you will get away with it. A software switch would make the difference though.

IHatePedalling said:
It is not for fun that 3nslav3 actually does have a stealth like throttle. But when the police will be suspicious about the bike's performance and bring it in for research then it is a bit naive to think you will get away with it. A software switch would make the difference though.

hi, do you think this help ? if not, any good idea ?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919&hilit=speedict&start=850#p694663

regarding 3nslav3 button throttle, by modify our codes, mercury's port 2 can detect if button is pushed and mercury can accelerate and when button is released mercury can either cutoff or decelerate according setting ... fun ?

energyi said:
You have one day to tell Endless Sphere all the phones you know this doesn't work on. Or I will tell them my experience with the two phones. Do you understand this?

It is as if you know a fire alarm doesn't work, but you don't tell anyone in the building because you are going to fix it next week. If there are people out there who just bought your gear and you don't tell them that it doesn't work on their phone, they will be wasting their time too. Of course you don't know your customer phone types, so you have no way to tell specific customers that their ROMs don't work, and that you are working on a fix. The worst thing is hindsight like with me, just creating unsatisfied customers.

One thing HK doesn't understand is a pissed-off-white-guy with a computer and the internet can ruin a company. That is in no way my intention. IF you look at my post earlier today on Endless Sphere you will see that I was actually trying to help your company.

Just pissed off now.

sorry energyi, please accept our apology that the log synchronize issues was caused by GPS, we have uploaded the new update this morning, next time when you discovered we have issues please tell us immediately or post on ES, we will try our best to fix it asap, once again let me say SORRY again !

hi, do you think this help ? if not, any good idea ?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919&hilit=speedict&start=850#p694663

regarding 3nslav3 button throttle, by modify our codes, mercury's port 2 can detect if button is pushed and mercury can accelerate and when button is released mercury can either cutoff or decelerate according setting ... fun ?

Although I haven't touched my bike after all the previous problems that I have read about with GPS etc, I think that this maybe the solution. But after using the road-legal switch, is there another button or easy way to get back to off-road (unlimited) settings?

I didn't write the below message publicly, it was a PM to you only. But thanks for sharing it, lots of good gems in that message.

Yes ES, I am probably to blame for Speedict updating the Mars App software today. Good news is it now works. So if your phone was one of those that didn't sync, it now does, and GPS seems to work. Just go to Google Play and get the latest version. Hope this helps.

Found out after talking with contact@speedict.com that the various phones with various Android versions I was trying to sync had ROM challenges with the App, and that Speedict had know about it for some time. If only someone had written on this list to disable GPS when trying to sync I would have known (that is the part that needs a cultural shift with our eastern business partners). Searched and searched but nothing like that. Again, good news is that it is now working.

The question for this group (or possibly another thread) is how much time should we be helping to develop corporate products? I spent 3 wasted hours yesterday. Always happy to give feedback to ES, but if a product is in development stage, near market or in the market, what should be the expectations of operational? I actually waited since October to make my order in the hopes that now it was operational.

Hope this continues to help, as my above message on out of box experience was trying to help.

speedict said:
energyi said:
You have one day to tell Endless Sphere all the phones you know this doesn't work on. Or I will tell them my experience with the two phones. Do you understand this?

It is as if you know a fire alarm doesn't work, but you don't tell anyone in the building because you are going to fix it next week. If there are people out there who just bought your gear and you don't tell them that it doesn't work on their phone, they will be wasting their time too. Of course you don't know your customer phone types, so you have no way to tell specific customers that their ROMs don't work, and that you are working on a fix. The worst thing is hindsight like with me, just creating unsatisfied customers.

One thing HK doesn't understand is a pissed-off-white-guy with a computer and the internet can ruin a company. That is in no way my intention. IF you look at my post earlier today on Endless Sphere you will see that I was actually trying to help your company.

Just pissed off now.

sorry energyi, please accept our apology that the log synchronize issues was caused by GPS, we have uploaded the new update this morning, next time when you discovered we have issues please tell us immediately or post on ES, we will try our best to fix it asap, once again let me say SORRY again !

energyi said:
Found out after talking with contact@speedict.com that the various phones with various Android versions I was trying to sync had ROM challenges with the App, and that Speedict had know about it for some time. If only someone had written on this list to disable GPS when trying to sync I would have known (that is the part that needs a cultural shift with our eastern business partners). Searched and searched but nothing like that. Again, good news is that it is now working.

Didn't you see page 38 in this thread? It's where I talk about my adventures with the Speedict sync GPS on/off...

energyi said:
The question for this group (or possibly another thread) is how much time should we be helping to develop corporate products? I spent 3 wasted hours yesterday. Always happy to give feedback to ES, but if a product is in development stage, near market or in the market, what should be the expectations of operational? I actually waited since October to make my order in the hopes that now it was operational.

Well, if you only knew how many wasted hours I have spent on exactly the same thing...
GPS is still an issue on mine, not that it interferes with the sync or FW upgrade anymore but I have these sudden spikes in the speed sensor data. For example, I can be going in 30 km/h and all of a sudden I get a reading of like 80 km/h.
This is while GPS is on while riding. If I turn it off, this doesn't happen at all and all data seems to be ok.
The issue is being worked on by Speedict.

You should know that I haven't even started on connecting PAS and throttle to have the Speedict in governor mode, I'd rather have the data in order before I let it control anything. So there might be more bugs there.
Also, I have had a language setting issue so if you have anything else than english on your phone, set it to english to rule that out.

I have 2 phones, HTC Desire Android 2.3 and ZTE Blade 3 Android 4.1.2 (CM 10), both behave exactly the same now.
Initially the ZTE Blade 3 didn't even run the app, after flashing a custom rom on it the app runs.

Your unreal, your posts have overtones and are incitefull.
Keep up the good work Danny and crew.
Thats part of what this forum is about no borders and to helping others develop novel and cost effective products.

megacycle said:
Thats part of what this forum is about no borders and to helping others develop novel and cost effective products.

Who? Me?

If it is me then I admit, I was getting a bit frustrated on page 38 but really... I think my latest post was just information about what issues I've had and what remains to be fixed.
And yes, I agree, the Speedict crew is doing a great job working out all the issues of the various Android phones with all their different roms.

/Anders

Ahoog said:
Didn't you see page 38 in this thread? It's where I talk about my adventures with the Speedict sync GPS on/off...
Ahoog:
I had searched and searched this Endless Sphere thread for any clues on "Record", "Syncing", "Trips" and used those words with "Speedict" on Google but there are not answers on those terms. Sorry I missed it.

Also, in my private message to Speedict that they posted here I used the term HK, for that message meaning Hong Kong, not Hobby King ~smiley~. Hope this continues to help.

Joe Mc.

Ahoog said:
And yes, I agree, the Speedict crew is doing a great job working out all the issues of the various Android phones with all their different roms.
s

energyi said:
Don't know how this company is going to survive, with all the different android devices, all the different android software versions, Bluetooth challenges. Tech support seems like it would be never ending.

Without a FAQ on the Speedict site, it is going to be increasingly difficult for survival..

Joe Mc.

I have an HTC Evo 3D and mine worked great straight out of the box. Just wanted to throw that out there. In fact, I have an aluminum battery box and with the speedict inside it, I still get bluetooth reception up to 15 feet away.

Ahoog said:
megacycle said:

Who? Me?

If it is me then I admit, I was getting a bit frustrated on page 38 but really... I think my latest post was just information about what issues I've had and what remains to be fixed.

/Anders
Not you buddy, sorry i put my post down for a while and your post happened before mine.

IHatePedalling said:

I'm working on a hidden reed switch system to turn the throttle on and off :) (5Volt throttle power cut off) personally I don't need / want any software doing that for me

when cops pull me over I'll be most likely in light panic and can't be bothered fiddeling with my phone or a button on the bike while they are questioning me...

phones and panic don't really fit in my case, when the neighbours house was on fire this summer I had to call the fire department, took me 3 mins to remember and dial the number :lol:

Hi,

after 3 testdrives over several hours with speedict-ebike and testing various software-settings it seems not possible to get a functional setting as I would expect.
I want to use Road Legal 2 Mode. I have connected speed-sensor to port 1 (works correct), blue throttle-in-cable to port 2, PAS to port 3 and red throttle-out-cable to port 4.

First problem:
Throttle grip works with or without pedalling (0 in port-status of port 3), which is not "Road Legal".

Second problem:
Even when throttle-grip is in off-position (Port-Status of port 2 = 0) and PAS-Cadence-Rate to Power-Level-Output is set to 120:10 or 120:1 or whatever: at the moment when PAS is detecting low Cadence
(30? in port-status of port 3) throttle-output is going to maximum (100 in port-status of port 4).

Third problem:
Sometimes (maybe after 2 hours of cycling) my Phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S - LT18i) lost connection and is not able to reconnect even if i close and reopen the speedict-app or if i reboot the phone.
The only solution is to remove power supply to speedict for a moment with the effect that all data in the live-view especially Capacity Fwd is reset to zero and so i lost overview over the consumed battery-capacity.

To solve the two first problems, i plan to use simply-cut-mode with governor to limit the max-speed and build some extra hardware as "PAS-enables-throttle"-switch or program a mikrocontroller to do this in software.
Then i use Speedict-ebike only for data-logging and live-view.
Here is my wish to you, Danny: I miss in the Multi-Data view following two data-fields:
1. current/actual/latest Wh/km (or Ah/km).
The existing Wh/km shows only the average of the total trip and gives no clue, how far can I biking with the current performance.
2. Total Ah as in ebike-setting menu, which would solve third problem.

PS: Even after re-flashing the firmware, nothing change.
PPS: I can not find any setting in the throttle-range-setup that really the whole range of the throttle-grip is used.
PPPS: I have tested with GPS enabled and disabled. It makes no difference to any of these problems.

energyi said:
Ahoog said:
s

energyi said:
Don't know how this company is going to survive, with all the different android devices, all the different android software versions, Bluetooth challenges. Tech support seems like it would be never ending.

Without a FAQ on the Speedict site, it is going to be increasingly difficult for survival..

Joe Mc.
Try this, can we have a FAQ question area please.
Notice your suggestion is now in the affirmative.

3nslav3 said:
IHatePedalling said:

I'm working on a hidden reed switch system to turn the throttle on and off :) (5Volt throttle power cut off) personally I don't need / want any software doing that for me

when cops pull me over I'll be most likely in light panic and can't be bothered fiddeling with my phone or a button on the bike while they are questioning me...

phones and panic don't really fit in my case, when the neighbours house was on fire this summer I had to call the fire department, took me 3 mins to remember and dial the number :lol:

I do disagree with you. The police is not dumb. When you have attracted their attention by speeding or at least riding your bike without pedalling at a consitent speed then a simple hardware switch won't safe you. I have seen this multiple times with the young people on their tuned up mopeds. They also use hidden hardware switches to make teir moped roadlegal when they get pulled over. The police will simply bring the moped in for research, and NEVER did these young people get away with it. They will just find the switch. Contrarily, a software switch, once activated, just needs your phone to be deactivated again. Everyone uses the phone in the most idiotic circumstances like during dental treatment, in restaurants, while driving the car etc. So using your phone while talking to the police will not look suspicious at all. Speedict is not yet well known and here lies the advantage.

Back