SW900 + Geared motor 500w - Weird stuff

sergiosmvc

100 µW
Hello,

I installed this weekend a kit from CSC with a 500w 36v motor and a sw900 display and i have 2 problems:

The first problem is that when i connect the battery cable, with the sw900 turned off if i use the throtle the wheel spins. And if i try to turn off the display, it remains always on saying OFF with the backlight on. I searched here on this forum and a user said to check the blue and red pin to check if there is continuity. And those wires are shorted. Is really the SW900 display that is broken?

The second problem is the speedometer. The display was setted from the factory with the P07 = 1 and with this setting the speed is always at 0. Then if i change to any number for example 68 i got speed reading... but i got only the speed reading if i use the motor. If i set the PAS to 0 or if i don't need to use the motor the speed is always 0...

Can you help me?

Thanks

sergiosmvc said:
The first problem is that when i connect the battery cable, with the sw900 turned off if i use the throtle the wheel spins. And if i try to turn off the display, it remains always on saying OFF with the backlight on. I searched here on this forum and a user said to check the blue and red pin to check if there is continuity. And those wires are shorted. Is really the SW900 display that is broken?
It's possible. There is a transistor-switch inside it that turns on to feed battery power back from the display to the controller to turn it on; it can fail shorted and cause this. But it could also just be a solder bridge inside the display, probably at the point the wires are soldered to the display board. Or a wiring short inside the cable anywhere between display and controller. Or even a miswire in the controller, so that the wire to the display output pin for this is instead connected to battery positive inside the controller, instead of going to the display.

The second problem is the speedometer. The display was setted from the factory with the P07 = 1 and with this setting the speed is always at 0. Then if i change to any number for example 68 i got speed reading... but i got only the speed reading if i use the motor. If i set the PAS to 0 or if i don't need to use the motor the speed is always 0...

This means it's reading the signal from the motor halls, instead of a wheel speed sensor. You can change the wiring at the controller end to go to the built-in motor wheel speed sensor, if it has one (often a white wire). If it doesn't have one, you can add an external frame-mounted sensor with a magnet on a wheel spoke and move the controller speed sensor wire to that.

Thanks for your complete anwser...

Can you confirm if on the controller side the red pin should have continuity with the blue?
Meanwhile the seller will send another SW900 display...
But i suspect that the controller isn't good.

The kit came with all the parts except the battery, so the wiring should be correct.
The hall plug that came from the motor has the same colors that the controller plug.

Another weird thing that i notes is that i run the wheel backwords i get speed reading.

What wire that you recomends that i change on the hall plug?

the kit that i bought is this: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005003495090542.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21efcaa4OfONhc&gatewayAdapt=glo2bra

rear hub 36v/500w

the controller is like this:
temp.jpg

the hall plug, the colors matches with the motor...
if i mess with the hall wires what could happen?

Thanks

Hello again.

I've made two videos

This is showing the always on problem:
https://mega.nz/file/r0USGCjB#cuDXNtQZm4soAT4LHqwaVT918F2R4bi3dJ2FAD_unXg

this is showing the speedometer problem:
https://mega.nz/file/WokmlLJI#K_SbCwZG9_H6lxZosKLTZ8TQ8Oe19lBSahuhSm4dn8k

Another update:
if i run the wheel backwards i got speed reading...

Tale a look at the 2x3 white plastic connector that goes to the small wires in the motor cable. There should be six wires.
Red +5 power
Black Ground
Yellow Hall signal
Blue Hall Signal
Green Hall Signal
White Motor Speed

There aren't any connectors marked speed on the CSC drawing so the speed signal has to be in the group. If there is no white wire, the controller hardware is incapable of reading a coasting motor,

When the motor is running, the Hall sensors are firing, and the controller can determine speed by counting the frequency of the Hall's and doing the math using wheel diameter.When the bike is coasting, the motor does not spin and the Hall sensors are not firing. Now you need a speed signal from the motor to calculate speed.

When you turn the wheel backward. the clutch in the motor engages and causes it to turn the motor, which fires the Hall sensors. So you get speed.

So first check that the hardware has that white wire. If it does, then you may need a setting in the SW900 enabled to read speed when coasting,

I own an ebikeling SW900 and controller. WHile the controller has an input for a speed sensor, I've never found the setting to get it to work for a coasting motor. Stupid display/controller. I yanked it out and use a KT display and controller,

sergiosmvc said:
Hello,

I installed this weekend a kit from CSC with a 500w 36v motor and a sw900 display and i have 2 problems:

A lot of controllers come with a jumper on the display connector, preinstalled, that keeps the controller on, for people that want to run without a display. Check to make sure there's nothing jumpering the "lock wire" pin on the connector with one of the other pins (battery positive, or TX, etc.).

E-HP said:
sergiosmvc said:
Hello,

A lot of controllers come with a jumper on the display connector, preinstalled, that keeps the controller on, for people that want to run without a display. Check to make sure there's nothing jumpering the "lock wire" pin on the connector with one of the other pins (battery positive, or TX, etc.).

About this question: i ve tried with aother sw900 and problem resolved. Thanks

docw009 said:
Tale a look at the 2x3 white plastic connector that goes to the small wires in the motor cable. There should be six wires.
Red +5 power
Black Ground
Yellow Hall signal
Blue Hall Signal
Green Hall Signal
White Motor Speed

There aren't any connectors marked speed on the CSC drawing so the speed signal has to be in the group. If there is no white wire, the controller hardware is incapable of reading a coasting motor,

When the motor is running, the Hall sensors are firing, and the controller can determine speed by counting the frequency of the Hall's and doing the math using wheel diameter.When the bike is coasting, the motor does not spin and the Hall sensors are not firing. Now you need a speed signal from the motor to calculate speed.

When you turn the wheel backward. the clutch in the motor engages and causes it to turn the motor, which fires the Hall sensors. So you get speed.

So first check that the hardware has that white wire. If it does, then you may need a setting in the SW900 enabled to read speed when coasting,

I own an ebikeling SW900 and controller. WHile the controller has an input for a speed sensor, I've never found the setting to get it to work for a coasting motor. Stupid display/controller. I yanked it out and use a KT display and controller,

A friend suggest to i check with multimeter between whire and black wire of hall plug and i get always 5v

sergiosmvc said:
docw009 said:
Red +5 power
Black Ground
Yellow Hall signal
Blue Hall Signal
Green Hall Signal
White Motor Speed

A friend suggest to i check with multimeter between whire and black wire of hall plug and i get always 5v

I guess your friend has pointed you to the problem. You can get an external speed sensor for the rear wheel. Tap it into the power.ground and white wire on the Hall connector,

docw009 said:
sergiosmvc said:
docw009 said:
Red +5 power
Black Ground
Yellow Hall signal
Blue Hall Signal
Green Hall Signal
White Motor Speed

I guess your friend has pointed you to the problem. You can get an external speed sensor for the rear wheel. Tap it into the power.ground and white wire on the Hall connector,

What sensor you talking about?

Can you put here an example?

Thank you

Back