Thanks to Chris at Lectric Cycles

craneplaneguy said:
My Montague Paratrooper Pro fits in the hatch of my Yaris, and folds in less then 30 seconds. It does well over 30, and climbs like a raped ape. BBSHD/Rohloff hub combo. My previous folder was another Montague, with a BBSO2 and a conventional derailleur system. Having gotten a heads up on the potential to overheat, I paid attention and never had any problems in over 500 miles. By contrast, the HD can be ridden " wrong", carelessly, up very steep trails, and lets you get away with it. I also have a 20" folder, a hub drive Trail Viper, but it gets ridden much less, after 1500 watts of mid drive power and performance, and even though I upgraded it to a 52 v system, it just doesn't hack it.

You problem with LUNA was like mine, until I figured out email was the way to go, you didn't figure that out before getting irritated, I get that. Once emailing them, all was instantly well, and continues so. 4 batteries, 3 drive systems, and lots of misc. later, they remain my supplier of all things e bike.

Hey I'm all for getting another fold-up, most all mine are from 35-42 lbs - I thought of the Bafang but figured it would be heavy - do you have any images of your beasts?

I did find this review on a fat tire version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lsyqulSlg

Mike

craneplaneguy said:
Your problem with LUNA was like mine, until I figured out email was the way to go, you didn't figure that out before getting irritated, I get that. Once emailing them, all was instantly well, and continues so. 4 batteries, 3 drive systems, and lots of misc. later, they remain my supplier of all things e bike.

I hear ya but this email thing just doesn't make sense when it comes to technical stuff - look at the time it takes to type all that crap when you can answer the phone or call the guy back and in seconds answer the same question. Like I said, I don't deal well with answering machines, full mailboxes and typing technical emails.

Bottom line if you're going to run a successful business you need to answer your phone when it rings!

Thanks

slacker said:
as p.t. barnum said or lectric say's there's a sucker born every minute. If you believe erads claims i have oceanfront property for sale in my home state? good luck. :lol:
Odd isn't it. First eBike is an OEM and we go from Zero to expert in 60 seconds. I wish I were as quick to learn it all!

I wonder how the retrofit kits like his are actually holding up? The better than Bafang main shaft is certainly possible. Some machinists have noted the quality of heat treatment may be questionable. But I've yet to read of a failure. Making my spares just added weight to the parts box.

BTW where in MN?

tomjasz said:
slacker said:
as p.t. barnum said or lectric say's there's a sucker born every minute. If you believe erads claims i have oceanfront property for sale in my home state? good luck. :lol:
Odd isn't it. First eBike is an OEM and we go from Zero to expert in 60 seconds. I wish I were as quick to learn it all!

I wonder how the retrofit kits like his are actually holding up? The better than Bafang main shaft is certainly possible. Some machinists have noted the quality of heat treatment may be questionable. But I've yet to read of a failure. Making my spares just added weight to the parts box.

BTW where in MN?

A Metallurgist has specialized knowledge of the chemical and physical properties of metals unless this is you - you don't have a clue Lol

Hey guys, I forgot to include these images of the "Bullet-Proof Heavy Duty Sockets" that were included at no extra cost with my "Turn Key" Lectric Cycle Giant Stance bike. These are also supplied with e-Rad mid motor packages. These sure beat using those razor thin stamped wrenches available when trying to tighten the Jesus bolt. Another advantage of these half inch drive sockets is they allow the use of a torque wrench for repetitive values.

Enjoy - Mike

W1.JPG

W2.JPG

W3.JPG

OMG, I need me some ten pound sockets. But did you get the third socket that completes the kit? The one needed to remove the small lockings?

Odd that isn't mentioned in the add. It sells complete for $135. None of those items are included in the add. No mention whatsoever of the color display. I'd think if the color display, a complete "Dealer tool kit, all the latest and greatest were available it would be listed on the sale page. Where are these options shown? I see none of them? If I buy from Lectric how do I know I get all the perks? Odd that they aren't listed. Every other seller that adds options lists them.

This begins to smell more and more like an unpaid advertisement.

IdleUp said:
craneplaneguy said:
My Montague Paratrooper Pro fits in the hatch of my Yaris, and folds in less then 30 seconds. It does well over 30, and climbs like a raped ape. BBSHD/Rohloff hub combo. My previous folder was another Montague, with a BBSO2 and a conventional derailleur system. Having gotten a heads up on the potential to overheat, I paid attention and never had any problems in over 500 miles. By contrast, the HD can be ridden " wrong", carelessly, up very steep trails, and lets you get away with it. I also have a 20" folder, a hub drive Trail Viper, but it gets ridden much less, after 1500 watts of mid drive power and performance, and even though I upgraded it to a 52 v system, it just doesn't hack it.

You problem with LUNA was like mine, until I figured out email was the way to go, you didn't figure that out before getting irritated, I get that. Once emailing them, all was instantly well, and continues so. 4 batteries, 3 drive systems, and lots of misc. later, they remain my supplier of all things e bike.

Hey I'm all for getting another fold-up, most all mine are from 35-42 lbs - I thought of the Bafang but figured it would be heavy - do you have any images of your beasts?

I did find this review on a fat tire version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lsyqulSlg

Mike

I have a Trail Viper also, it's OK for brief city rides, but doesn't have near the grunt or fun factor of my mid drive rides. Search "Montague" here, I've posted on my first one quite a bot.

tomjasz said:
OMG, I need me some ten pound sockets. But did you get the third socket that completes the kit? The one needed to remove the small lockings?

Odd that isn't mentioned in the add. It sells complete for $135. None of those items are included in the add. No mention whatsoever of the color display. I'd think if the color display, a complete "Dealer tool kit, all the latest and greatest were available it would be listed on the sale page. Where are these options shown? I see none of them? If I buy from Lectric how do I know I get all the perks? Odd that they aren't listed. Every other seller that adds options lists them.

Tom you really need to take your Med's dude! LOL

Ok let me make sure I understand your goofy reply . . . Your now complaining and crying that the tool set that Lectric Cycle provides for free with their bikes and motor kits is now "Too Good" because its a beefy 1/2" socket set that you could use a torque wrench but you would rather pay $20.00 for a paper thin .013" thick stamped "toy" wrench.

Ok, Now I understand . . . . .

PS there was some other tools but I only shot these to show the quality!

IdleUp said:
tomjasz said:

Tom you really need to take your Med's dude! LOL

Ok let me make sure I understand your goofy reply . . . Your now complaining and crying that the tool set that Lectric Cycle provides for free with their bikes and motor kits is now "Too Good" because its a beefy 1/2" socket set that you could use a torque wrench but you would rather pay $20.00 for a paper thin .013" thick stamped "toy" wrench.

Ok, Now I understand . . . . .

PS there was some other tools but I only shot these to show the quality!

Buddy,

I think you're off by an order of magnitude there. The wrench is about 4mm or .15" thick. Oh, but I forgot you were just being rhetorical, marketing and all. Just make up a number that sounds good if it makes your point. Seriously, you like your bike. Great for you! Other people don't like your bike. Why do you care? You think Lectric Cycles is the bee's knees and Luna Cycles has crap customer service. Great again for you! Someone else thinks Lectric Cycles is an overpriced scam and Luna Cycles is the Messiah of electric transport. Again, why spend so much energy defending your choice? What's in it for you? Why spend the time?

Gheesh, I'm seriously regretting the time I have just wasted writing this.

Gee guys, I just put up the sockets to share it with other forum members as part of my review. I thought it was a nice gesture of Lectric Cycle to include them with my bike at no extra cost. To be honest with you, I would have been happy to pay for them but as I mentioned they just came with the bike. Personally, I think they are top notch quality and they fit a 1/2" drive, so you can set a torque value and check it from time to time to see if anything is changing.

While I got hammered for sharing the bike and motor, I would never have thought you guys would find fault with the tools, they are bullet-proof and better manufactured than any I've seen to date.

Thanks Mike

I'm not in any way finding fault with these below but there is no comparison to the quality of these two brands.

w4.jpg

w6.jpg

Lectric Cycle

W2.JPG

W3.JPG

Dear IdleUp, if you want to post that you bought an ebike, and you are very happy with it because of X, Y and Z...you are welcome here. However, your original post looks and sounds like and ad. That's actually not a problem, but...it does immediately put the ES members here in a defensive and skeptical attitude.

Due to my unique position in the industry, I can publicly state that the three biggest retailers of Bafang mid drive kits in North America these last 12 months have been Luna Cycles, Lectric Cycles, and em3ev. By most accounts, they all three have a reputation for good customer service.

Sooo...the fact you love your new ebike requires no explanation, we get it. However....your continued bashing of Luna is very questionable. If you had NOT said anything negative about Luna, then the moderators (under the rules of this forum) would have reason to moderate anyone who posts negative things about Lectric, or moderate pro-Luna posts. However, YOU opened the door.

Now, you have a second post about how great the customer service from Lectric Cycles is. And yet...this post talks about how great the customer service is, and also that posts talks about the specifics of the product you bought. There is no difference in the subject matter between the two, other than this thread has become contentious. In fact, the second post in this thread is amberwolf asking if the two threads should be merged, and later asks why you haven't responded to that question.

Now, Lectric Cycles has been linking to your other ES thread on their website (which also sounds like an ad), and you have added "Mike" to the title. Is that so the readers can sort through this thread and the other threads that Lectric Cycles will be posting here? (a shill strategy called shotgun posting, where you salt Google results with multiple "happy customer" threads). I was on Lectric Cycles website to verify price claims in this thread, and you know what? you show a color display, and yet they are not listed in the Lectric Giant Stance features list, and the color display is not in their available accessories list...even though the black and white display IS listed.

I was the first poster in this thread that implied we should give you a chance, but your behaviour is not helping. At the time that you posted you bought a turn-key bike from Lectric Cycles, LUNA DID NOT SELL TURN KEY BIKES. And yet, you felt it was VERY IMPORTANT to mention why you didn't use Luna, but....for some reason you didn't even mention em3ev. I've bought products from em3ev, and they have great customer service too. You never once mention how much better Lectric is over em3ev...only Luna.

Your first post indicates that you are a smart guy, so...you have to realize how this looks, right?

I've met the guys from Lectric at Interbike (LeGrand wasn't there at that moment). They seem like a nice bunch. I have heard many good things about their customer service. Price? I let the consumers Google that for themselves. Their Giant Trance 2 package now has a lowered price, so future customers of Lectric Cycles can thank this thread for Luna deciding to create some competition, and saving them a few bucks...

spinningmagnets said:
Dear IdleUp, if you want to post that you bought an ebike, and you are very happy with it because of X, Y and Z...you are welcome here. However, your original post looks and sounds like and ad. That's actually not a problem, but...it does immediately put the ES members here in a defensive and skeptical attitude.

Due to my unique position in the industry, I can publicly state that the three biggest retailers of Bafang mid drive kits in North America these last 12 months have been Luna Cycles, Lectric Cycles, and em3ev. By most accounts, they all three have a reputation for good customer service.

Sooo...the fact you love your new ebike requires no explanation, we get it. However....your continued bashing of Luna is very questionable. If you had NOT said anything negative about Luna, then the moderators (under the rules of this forum) would have reason to moderate anyone who posts negative things about Lectric, or moderate pro-Luna posts. However, YOU opened the door.

Now, you have a second post about how great the customer service from Lectric Cycles is. And yet...this post talks about how great the customer service is, and also that posts talks about the specifics of the product you bought. There is no difference in the subject matter between the two, other than this thread has become contentious. In fact, the second post in this thread is amberwolf asking if the two threads should be merged, and later asks why you haven't responded to that question.

Now, Lectric Cycles has been linking to your other ES thread on their website (which also sounds like an ad), and you have added "Mike" to the title. Is that so the readers can sort through this thread and the other threads that Lectric Cycles will be posting here? (a shill strategy called shotgun posting, where you salt Google results with multiple "happy customer" threads). I was on Lectric Cycles website to verify price claims in this thread, and you know what? you show a color display, and yet they are not listed in the Lectric Giant Stance features list, and the color display is not in their available accessories list...even though the black and white display IS listed.

I was the first poster in this thread that implied we should give you a chance, but your behaviour is not helping. At the time that you posted you bought a turn-key bike from Lectric Cycles, LUNA DID NOT SELL TURN KEY BIKES. And yet, you felt it was VERY IMPORTANT to mention why you didn't use Luna, but....for some reason you didn't even mention em3ev. I've bought products from em3ev, and they have great customer service too. You never once mention how much better Lectric is over em3ev...only Luna.

Your first post indicates that you are a smart guy, so...you have to realize how this looks, right?

Spinning thanks for the reply - on my second or third post I apologized to the members and and administrators regarding the content. I never said one bad thing about Luna, in fact I gave them the benefit of doubt when they didn't answer my calls for 3 days and mentioned in my overview that they might be on vacation.

Yesterday I added some sockets that were included in the the kit which I forgot to include in the original post and for no reason what so ever I was attacked by one of Luna's customers. I included reply below:

\
Here's another reply I received:

I think you're off by an order of magnitude there. The wrench is about 4mm or .15" thick. Oh, but I forgot you were just being rhetorical, marketing and all. Just make up a number that sounds good if it makes your point. Seriously, you like your bike. Great for you! Other people don't like your bike.

Again Spinning my apologizes that the thread went south, I had no idea that Lectric Cycle had so many enemies on this forum. If I would have bought the bike from Luna or any other manufacture I would have put up the same exact overview. Sorry if it sounds like an advertisement, it's not - in fact I have not spoken even one time to anyone at Lectric Cycle since my bike arrived weeks ago. I'm just another ebike owner like the rest of you guys - am I excited yes, this bike and the power of the Bafang drive is light years improved over anything I have owned. Please don't fault me for this!

Regarding the extra's on my bike - Ii mentioned in my post that no one has bothered to call Lectric on the price because they do discount from the retail price. I might also mention they upgraded the display and included kick stand at no additional charge when I asked them to include them to my order. I can't understand why most all the members are so dis-respectful to the folks at Lectric they are good people selling good products and they back their work up.

In conclusion, i might also add that I'm no the only one who like their products - There is pages and pages of guys on this very forum who had good dealing with them. Also EBR has reviewed a dozen of Lectric Cycles motors and turn key bikes. There is even a review from EBR on their improvements on the Bafang drive and even their contracted machine shop.

I just don't understand the hostility I seeing on this forum towards myself for putting up an review on a good product - I was attcked on the very first few posts! Facts are facts, my bike has a Bafang drive and Giant makes a damn good mid priced bike, so what 's the problem and why does everyone hate this bike? I'll tell you why, because I bought it at Lectric Cycle.

Thanks Mike

You brought up Luna. You.

Google "endless-sphere.com em3ev" and see what has happened in the past when someone posts negative claims against them. But you never mentioned them. Since you are new here, I can understand that you are unfamiliar with the common protocols. If you had just said you bought a bike from Lectric Cycles and were happy with it, you would have every right to ask the moderators to step in if someone from luna or em3ev began flinging crap in your thread.

You got some heavy duty sockets with the bike. That's awesome! it's useful to the readers for you to mention that these sockets allow the ebiker to use a torque-wrench, unlike other styles of wrenches that are available. So what do you do then? you double down and talk crap about the Luna Wrench, as if the readers can't decide for themselves which one they like better. Paul at em3ev also has a Bafang tool kit, but you don't mention him?

These sure beat using those razor thin stamped wrenches available when trying to tighten the Jesus bolt

I've been trying to think of who makes a wrench for these kits. There might be several, but Luna is the one that comes to mind. Its laser-cut from stainless steel. Are the 1/2-inch drive sockets stronger? You bet. I used to work in aerospace, and I can see that, even without having used them. So, you feel the "razor thin stamped wrenches" are unacceptable? would you have a guess for us as to how much torque the Luna wrench can take before failure?

By the way, thanks for responding, I was defending you at first, but now I just want to keep this thread going and going.

IdleUp said:
I had no idea that Lectric Cycle had so many enemies on this forum.

They didn't. At least, I wasn't one before this thread. In fact, when I first saw your review, I looked at their website, and thought they had some nice looking products.

After this thread, there's no chance I'll buy from them now. I'm sure many more people feel this way.

so what 's the problem and why does everyone hate this bike? I'll tell you why, because I bought it at Lectric Cycle

You sound like a smart guy, so saying things like this sounds a little disingenuous. Nobody hates that bike, and nobody cares where you bought it. Why don't you trust the readers to see what you said about how you like this product? The problem is (in case you still didn't "get it" yet). You made negative comments about a respected vendor, and then suddenly became very "thin skinned" when other ES members defended that vendor.

If LeGrand is reading this...do you really want to set a new precedent? where it's OK for Luna or em3ev customers to start an ES thread, and talk smack about Lectric Cycles? I have a LOT of posts from over the last six years, and I dare anyone to find a post of mine where I trash-talk Lectric, em3ev, or Luna. I've featured all three in various articles I have written.

Mike,

You were off by an order of magnitude when you claimed another vendor's "razor thin" wrench was 0.013" thick when it was 0.13" thick, and you didn't correct yourself either. A .013" thick wrench really would be useless, a .13" thick one is more than adequate for its purpose. I don't care about your opinions. They are yours. I do care about distortions of fact, however, that are clearly designed to support one vendor's product while bashing another's. But I'm done with this now.

Pura Vida.

I really appreciate you concern Spinning - I know you're a good guy and trying to keep the peace but you need to re-read the posts - on every account I was attacked by the Luna fans.

i just put up a friendly non technical review of an Befang powered Giant Stance. I was attacked right at the first reply - I don't work for Lectric, don't know anyone there other than a brief few days when ordering my bike. I never received one penny for any compensation in fact if you listen to all these Luna loyalist I paid too much so why would I provide them a review? The answer is they acted in a professional manner and delivered a bike to me that was within $300 of just buying the parts.

You have to understand, when someone slings mud and calls me a liar I sling it back. These guys can post from this day to eternity and no one is going to convince me that after spending $3000 I have to revert to social media to get a technical question answered. Its plain and simple - if you don't have the time or want to spend the money to have someone answer the phone, then your not worthy of my business and there is thousands of guys just like me.

Anyhow, regardless of all the crying, I have tried my best to keep the thread factual and informative with posts covering:

Mounting the thumb throttle on the right grip.

Mountain bikes from Cabela's with Bafang Drives.

My price comparisons when i added up the parts from Luna and included the Giant Stance

My Firmware change and Controller settings.

Discussion on larger seats for mountain bikes.

Motor to sprocket chain alignment

Bafang running temperatures.

Controller heat problems on other models.

Discussion of the advantages of a custom made 92mm bracket for the Giant Stance.

Discussion of using the Bafang drive on Fold-up bikes.

Lectric Cycles tool kit.

These are are all positive topics I brought up, however on every occasion the "Lectric haters" jumped in and tried their best to confuse the issue.

Lastly, regarding the Bafang/Giant Stance - Luna does not have that bike available and from what I'm reading on this very same thread - it looks like his price is just about the same as Lectric. I have included the post from ebike4me below, it looks to me like other vendors are trying to play catch up!

post.jpg

induna said:
Mike,

You were off by an order of magnitude when you claimed another vendor's "razor thin" wrench was 0.013" thick when it was 0.13" thick, and you didn't correct yourself either. A .013" thick wrench really would be useless, a .13" thick one is more than adequate for its purpose. I don't care about your opinions. They are yours. I do care about distortions of fact, however, that are clearly designed to support one vendor's product while bashing another's. But I'm done with this now.

Pura Vida.

Chill out man, I just put the damn dot in the wrong place! It's not a life threatening mistake Lol. If I was trying to mislead anyone, why would I intentionally put a drawing of the wrench in the same post! (included).

In any case, while I'm not here to compare tools, that is only around an 1/8" thick which is super thin by any standards for a hand wrench. Its also going to be hard to convince anyone that tool is a better piece than the 1/2" sockets supplied by Lectric Cycle at no additional cost.

Regards!

w6.jpg

Dude Luna Cycle designed that wrench and made it here in california and made it affordable. How do you manage to spin that into a bad thing? Are you a professional spinner doctor whatever? Because this entire thread you have been deceptive.

That "lectric" kit your showing is bafangs tool kit designed and made by bafang and every bafang dealer can buy it directly from bafang.

Lecttric does not offer that tool kit for free and i dont know why you are making stuff up. Show me anywhere on their website where they are they giving it away.

They are selling it for $135 http://www.lectriccycles.com/dealer-tool-kit-for-e-rad-mid-drive/

THE SAME KIT luna has been selling for $60 for the last year. http://lunacycle.com/bafang-mid-drive-installation-tool-kit/

So suddenly lectric is giving shit away for free. Thats great. THey should include it in their adds if it is true.

They would probably have to answer why they been charging 135 for something they are now giving away for free.

Like you got that color screen that luna has had in stock for the last 3 months and Lectric still hasnt gotten it...but you somehow got thrown in for your kit for free. How come lectrric doesnt include that and the bafang tool kit in their product adds?

Lunas Tool Kit made by Luna in usa Is 20 bucks from stainless steel.

Lectric cycles tool kit made by bafang in china steel is $135 ( Luna sells for 60)

The Luna Cycle wrench work just as good.... and it cost 1/7 as much.

What other comparisons you want to make?

Hey but thanks to this thread Lectric dropped their price by 400 bucks on their bbs02 Giant BIke and now Luna is selling complete bikes.... is a beautiful place and all thats a beautiful thing :)

I get the feeling we're ordering a certain chemical used to stop fasteners from moving:

image_16763.jpg

I can tell you already my eyes are already irritated...

Idleup posted the first review that I recall reading that bashed another vendor while gushing about his choice. I think that negative comments about a vendor from which an individual has never made a purchase should be deleted. I had nothing against Lectric Cycles before this started and don't now although I'm not going to pay $995 for a BBS02 that Luna sells for $500.

Back