TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

Thanks for the fast response shall flash the correct firmware the the screen when I get home. I was thinking of ordering a 860c display but not sure on of its worth it if I have the 850c already.

Thanks again for the help is there a page where I can make a donation

Hey folks, trying to get started on this... are there not .hex files for this OSF to flash via ST Link like for the 850/860? Or is the only way to do this starting with the source code, compiling, etc?? And where are the bootloader .bin files for the VLCD5?

raylo32 said:
.. are there not .hex files for this OSF ....
No.....
If you want to flash Tsdz2 for stock display (vlcd5), you don't need to flash the vlcd5. So no bootloader needed
Use the java configrator for the settings you want. (like Voltage, Power, speed etc.)
After this the java tool compiles and flashes the controller just in one take.

If you are a starter, please read the configurator manual or wiki first. All you need to know is written there.
The manuals are inside the download.

Excellent, thanks, I'll give this a shot. Is there some reason no one is posting the hex files like for the other OSF versions? T'woud be a lot easier for us non programmers.

My immediate goal is to get OSF working mostly in order to be able to display temperature with my newly installed LM35. The quickest way would be to flash my current controller with OSF and keep the stock display, brakes, etc. I also have another controller and 850c that came with OSF that I haven't used yet. I might try that first except the throttle wire and some other wire colors and a couple pinouts look different so I am not sure how to make up the LM35 connections. If you are interested and might have some ideas see my other thread in Motor Tech.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112173

If you want to flash Tsdz2 for stock display (vlcd5), you don't need to flash the vlcd5. So no bootloader needed
Use the java configrator for the settings you want. (like Voltage, Power, speed etc.)
After this the java tool compiles and flashes the controller just in one take.
[/quote]

OK, after looking at this I think the answer is that this allows us to compile a specific version with a specific desired configuration. It is going to be a good learning curve for me... Outside of in a bathroom I haven't compiled anything for about 20 years. ;)

raylo32 said:
Excellent, thanks, I'll give this a shot. Is there some reason no one is posting the hex files like for the other OSF versions? T'woud be a lot easier for us non programmers.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112173

Going through all the configurations for the VLCD5... I haven't flashed it yet and I see where to enable the temp sensor I just installed on the motor and set those limits. But is there a way to display temperature in real time on the VLCD5? Or do I really need to swap to an 850 or 860 for that? If so I may need to get a new controller with the sensor installed since the one I have with my other controller and 850 OSF kit has different color wires and pins that I don't understand how to tap for the LM35.

raylo32 said:
....Is there some reason no one is posting the hex files like for the other OSF versions? ...
For stock display's this isn't handy, because of al the configuration settings you can change for personal use. You can not change all setting with stock display, only a few.
raylo32 said:
Going through all the configurations for the VLCD5... ... is there a way to display temperature in real time on the VLCD5? ....
3e tab "advanced settings", you can insert (by a number 1-10) max. 6 different values you want to see. default is only 2 (soc%-1 and Voltage-2) Temperature is 0. Also the time you want for displaying these values. Continues isn't possible because the speedunits are used.

In the illustration I setup 3 display values: temp./soc/Volt - 1s/0.5s/0.5s
tab3.jpg

Thanks... I just found those settings. Nice. I'll go ahead and give this a try, then.

Elinx said:
raylo32 said:
....Is there some reason no one is posting the hex files like for the other OSF versions? ...
For stock display's this isn't handy, because of al the configuration settings you can change for personal use. You can not change most setting with stock display, only a few.
raylo32 said:
Going through all the configurations for the VLCD5... ... is there a way to display temperature in real time on the VLCD5? ....
3e tab "advanced settings", you can insert (by a number 1-10) max. 6 different values you want to see. default is only 2 (soc%-1 and Voltage-2) Temperature is 0. Also the time you want for displaying these values

Successfully flashed... The motor is out of the bike for the LM35 install so a test will have to wait until tomorrow or the next day.
Thanks for the assist.

Today, during an evening walk with a motor on the latest firmware version, a disaster struck. The engine stopped and smoke escaped from the hull. It smells like burnt out transistors .. I haven't disassembled the motor yet, but I think the controller is burnt out. Does anyone have experience with controller remodeling? What parts usually burn out?

Lii said:
.....a disaster struck. The engine stopped and smoke escaped from the hull. It smells like burnt out transistors .. I haven't disassembled the motor yet, but I think the controller is burnt out.....What parts usually burn out?
It looks your are the third person with this failure.
Read a few posts back, you'll see what may have happened to your controller (just follow the link)
Abrainer says "The mos-fets of the "yellow" phase have a short circuit to VBatt and to GND."
Imho installing a new controller is an easier solution.

This is bad news.
After three cases, it seems clear that it cannot be accidental.
As a precaution, I have decided to retire the v20.1C.3 version for stock displays, until I have identified the possible cause.
I invite all users of this version, v20.1C.3 for stock displays, to uninstall it immediately and return to version v20.1C, even those who have not had problems.

mbrusa said:
This is bad news.
I invite all users of this version, v20.1C.3 for stock displays, to uninstall it immediately and return to version v20.1C, even those who have not had problems.
:thumb: :( I think this is for the time being the best, but sad decision.
I hope the reason is found soon and can be solved.

HI I have 860C with 860C_v20.1C.2-bootloader.bin and TSDZ2 with TSDZ2-v20.1C.3-860C.hex. Now on v20.1C.3 version I have 85km and no problem. I have temp sensor(70C/85C) never over 77C,power limit 460W, limit current 13A- never over 11A. :confused:
Thank you for warning.

abrainer said:
I use the stock display version with VLCD6. Columbo from the German forum has used the same version. He has posted a picture of his controller. It looks like it is also the transistors of the "yellow" phase.
Lii said:
Today, during an evening walk with a motor on the latest firmware version, a disaster struck. The engine stopped and smoke escaped from the hull. It smells like burnt out transistors .. I haven't disassembled the motor yet, but I think the controller is burnt out. Does anyone have experience with controller remodeling? What parts usually burn out?
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
I used my bike with XH18 until yesterday with no problems.
So it can only occur under certain conditions, to understand I need some information:
1 - Battery voltage
2 - Battery capacity
3 - Battery SOC% at the time of the problem (approximate)
4 - Motor power at the time of the problem (approximate)
Thank you

mbrusa said:
So it can only occur under certain conditions, to understand I need some information:
First of all, thank you for your great work with the controller. I know the effort that goes into such a development!

My data:
1 - Battery voltage 36V
2 - Battery capacity 17.25Ah
3 - Battery SOC% at the time of the problem (approximate) 70%
4 - Motor power at the time of the problem (approximate) i think round 300W

The data of Columo i will ask in the german Forum.

Thank you

abrainer said:
The data of Columo i will ask in the german Forum.
The data of Columbo4711:
1 - Battery voltage 36V
2 - Battery capacity 500Wh
3 - Battery SOC% at the time of the problem (approximate) 50% // 35-36V
4 - Motor power at the time of the problem (approximate) he says level 1 setting 30 in HybridMode

I myself was in PowerMode Level 2

I don't know if that will help, but I drive the v20.1c-3 with xh18 display without any problems so far.
I've driven about 30km several times. Yesterday a tour with a 60kg trailer and street mode deactivated, 65km, 2.5h, consumed approx. 700W, maximum temperature 70 degrees (at 25 degrees outside temperature). Despite the stress for the system, there was no problem. Even the overtemperature error from my first trip did not occur anymore.

We had the same thing happen last year on a system using V1.0.
To me, on that one, the motor had been running way too hot by the color of the motor.
Photos included, If you look at the photo and see any other reason, please share your thoughts?
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Yesterday I completed the temp sensor installation and flashed the latest OSF. After reading about the potential burnout issue with the latest beta I reflashed it again with the previous version and reinstalled the motor to the bike. I didn't really press it too hard but did several miles around my moderately hilly 'hood just running on one of my 5Ah Ego 52V power tool batteries using my 3D printed mount. (make one of you own from this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3415459).

The bike rides great. I had disabled "Start up in Street mode" and enabled Hybrid mode in the configurator. So I assume I was tooling around in hybrid mode? The calibrations seem really good and I observed no bad behavior except a battery digital SOC beginning on and stuck on and ending on 62.4%. The battery was fully charged to start and the icon bar graph and voltage readings were correct. I didn't ride long enough to even get down to 62%.

My temp sensor is also working well and topped out around 47 C. It is hot today.. mid 80s F... so I can't see having a real heat issue unless I were to attack one of our longer and steeper climbs. But I am thinking about cooling solutions like the other thread nonetheless.

My only real gripe is the fussiness of changing parameters on the VLCD5. I was able to "enable parameters" and went through some of the other options... 1 click of light button, then another click to get the param to flash and set. But I don't see any indication of what the parameter is to confirm it is what I want. The instructions say 1 or 0 but unless I missed something there is nothing on the display either way. Perhaps I do need to go to an 850 or 860 setup after all. I have one of those here but that means pulling the motor again to change the controller and also change out the brakes to the Bafang type. More work...

Quick question on setting parameters with the VLCD5... The excerpt from the manual describes how to view the existing setting and confirm the new one. But I am not seeing this. Does it appear as as numerical 1 and 0 or in some other form? Where on the screen? A screen shot would be VERY helpful. I see the E code flash and the wrench flash, but I see no indication of the parameter setting status anywhere during the process.

"During the modification of a parameter, in addition to the identification code, the status of the parameter is
also displayed. The first time the lights button is pressed (on), the current status is displayed, the second time (off) with a
flashing code, the new modified status is displayed."

raylo32 said:
.... But I am not seeing this. Does it appear as as numerical 1 and 0 or in some other form? Where on the screen? ....
first click shows status 1 or 0 (as speedunits 104 or 004) of E02, (only first speed digit is the status, ignore other two speeddigits)
second click= prepare change,
waiting= change state of E02,
not waiting= first click for next status 1 or 0 of E03, etc

Example to change E02 for streetmode off/on:
-Set level 1
-click 1 time to check status (0 or 1) or
-click 2 times to change status (streetmode off/on)

If you do this again after 2 clicks+waiting
click only 1 time you see the status is changed (1 or 0)
After a short time you can click again for light off

You understand that for E04 a lot of clicks are neccesary :wink:
change = 2+2+2 clicks+wait
check = 2+2+1

mbrusa said:
abrainer said:
I use the stock display version with VLCD6. Columbo from the German forum has used the same version. He has posted a picture of his controller. It looks like it is also the transistors of the "yellow" phase.
Lii said:
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
I used my bike with XH18 until yesterday with no problems.
1 - Battery voltage
2 - Battery capacity
3 - Battery SOC% at the time of the problem (approximate)
4 - Motor power at the time of the problem (approximate)
Thank you
It was a movement at a speed of 30 km / h for 10 minutes in the mode with maximum assistance.

Attachments

• set_1.jpg
    set_1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 746
  • set_2.jpg
    set_2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 746
  • set_1.jpg
    set_1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_20210611_005634.jpg
    IMG_20210611_005634.jpg