• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Why my controller run colder with Li-ion than SLA battery?

Guys, In my E-scooter, when I used the SLA battery, after a great ride, my controller come warm up until hot. With my new LifePO4 battery (30amp) after the same ride, my controller stay colder. Why? with the LiFePO4 battery they passe more amp than the SLA... :?

If the SLA is running at a lower voltage, the amperage will be higher at the same wattage. Higher amps=more resistance=more heat. Also means less efficiency.

dustNbone said:
If the SLA is running at a lower voltage, the amperage will be higher at the same wattage. Higher amps=more resistance=more heat. Also means less efficiency.

My old SLA spec: 4x 12v = 48v 14amp total.
My new Li-ion pack, 13S 9P 26amp.

The SLA given lower amperage, around 15 to 20 max but the Li-ion give 35 to 40 amperage. I don't understand why after a ride, the controller not come warm like the same situation with SLA. Maybe like you said, the resistance is higher with SLA!

With the li-ion, there is more power through the controler!

The same situation with my E-Scooter, the controller stay colder since I used LiFePo4 battery compared with SLA.

Old pack: 6x SLA 12v 20amp = 72v.
New pack: LiFePO4 24s 30amp 76v.

General_Lee said:
<snip>
Amp (A), or Amp-Hour (Ah)?

They mean totally different things. The former is how much current flows, and the latter how much capacity the battery has.

Even if the Amp-Hours are higher, it doesn't mean there are more Amps flowing. You'd have to actually measure the amps to verify that.

Best if you also actually verify Watts at the same time; easy to do both using a wattmeter, like the Cycle Analyst, WattsUP, etc. Then you'd know for sure what it is with each pack (though you'd have to swap the SLA back in to do that test for comparison).

amberwolf said:
General_Lee said:
<snip>
Amp (A), or Amp-Hour (Ah)?

They mean totally different things. The former is how much current flows, and the latter how much capacity the battery has.

Even if the Amp-Hours are higher, it doesn't mean there are more Amps flowing. You'd have to actually measure the amps to verify that.

Best if you also actually verify Watts at the same time; easy to do both using a wattmeter, like the Cycle Analyst, WattsUP, etc. Then you'd know for sure what it is with each pack (though you'd have to swap the SLA back in to do that test for comparison).

My description about battery packs is Amp-hour.

I already use Cycle Analyst with my E-bike and E-scooter, that way I know how many Amp flowing through my controllers.

Like I written above, for my E-bike the SLA pack flowing around 15 Amp but the Li-ion give 35 to 45 amperage, is higher.
That why I thought normally the controller come more warm if more amp flowing in it.

These normal, the Li-ion give more power than SLA anyway.

Sorry for my English guys :oops:

General_Lee said:
Guys, In my E-scooter, when I used the SLA battery, after a great ride, my controller come warm up until hot. With my new LifePO4 battery (30amp) after the same ride, my controller stay colder. Why? with the LiFePO4 battery they passe more amp than the SLA... :?

There is a severe voltage sag with your SLA's that cause a larger amps draw.

The C-Rating on your SLA's are too low .. i.e. cheaply made.

For elmoto's we need High Discharge Rate SLA's (more expensive.)

Back