Spooky Tooth Undead Race Results

Dogman: "I KNOW WE CAN KEEP THE SPRING RACE ALIVE. I'm going to make sure of it. Somehow. It may just be called the Musselman Death Race, but I think it can be counted on that at least one more race will be held so I can finish one."

And so I can go to one :D

SRP Salt River Project is the electric company in the Valley. Haven't got a clue about Tucson. I suppose we could all hit up our local Utilities about funding us personally, doesn't cost anything to ask, right?

Jeremy Harris said:
Seriousknot said:
Dad took me to Phoenix and they put a cast on me (you pay according to your income, free in our case, we were very poor). Two weeks later I was doing wheelies on a Hodaka Wombat cast and all. And if the hospital turns you away, you just tell the next one that your name is Jose Gonzalez, he's had his appendix removed there 15 times.

That makes me shudder! Here, medical treatment is free to everyone, no-one ever goes without treatment or gets turned away. All my life I've lived in a system where going to the doctor, getting treated in hospital or getting emergency treatment is free and available to everyone, irrespective of income. No emergency hospital here can turn anyone away or charge them for treatment.

Jeremy

If it's an emergency, no (public) hospital here in the US can turn you away, and they aren't permitted to prioritize the type of treatment or the order treatment is given in based on who can pay or has insurance etc etc. However, you will be billed full price for the service/treatment you were given unless you've got the right insurance to cover it, or some charity/poverty sponsor program.

When a homeless guy OD's on heroine on the sidewalk, he gets rushed to the hospital in an ambulance and treated just the same as anyone else. It just racks up as one more never-to-be-paid debt for the hospital.

If it's not an emergency, then you've got to figure out whatever works out to fit your budget/insurance plan etc, and it can be difficult if you don't have a way to pay for the service you need.

It's a bit early for rules, different categories of motored bike racing and such. Could do something simple, some recognition for commuter or classic bikes that still race with everyone. I thought there would be 45+mph gas and electric rigs, but no. Outside of Dogman, few competitive upgrades. Let's 1st have a (good) problem, too many too fast racers, before we solve it.

What I noticed lacking (aside from a black DQ flag) was someone who knew everone and a good bit about their builds, to announce. When an event closes and podium fotos are to be had, there should be lots of good natured ribbing, some 'lesser known facts' shared about the racers, their builds and hot air promises as to who should take on who building up the next race, but no. 4pm race was late in the day. Folks needed to get home back to other family events with a long drive. So trouphies were given, a few fotos, and the crowd ran to pack up and leave before it got too dark. Get a personable racer to give post race announcements, and have the race end before the sun is setting.

So folks, get the word out as who the planners are: let's thank them, an' express our interest and support, build those 50+mph rigs, bring your best BS face on top of all that :!: 70+ racers last Spring; had to of been excitement in the air. Imagine 90+ motored bikes with shared info on builds and demo ridesfor all in 2011 :wink: We are staring at the potential for our sport being great in the mirror.

dogman said:
It may simply mean paying what they do. $100 membership, and $40 per day to race.
If it even just cost the $40, I'd be out. $15 entry plus the lightrail pass ($3-something) was pushing it for my "disposable income". :lol: (There is a tiny bit more but it is already set aside for shipping costs on some possible parts donations from members here).

I could probobally afford the trip every other month at most. I like the idea of doing that perhaps 4 times a year. That way we might get at least 8-10 riders each time for sure.
I would like to do it like that, but I am not certain that I can get the time to do it each time. Can't plan very far ahead since even if I schedule a vacation day or two I might not get to take it depending on my workplace's scheduling needs.

I love the idea of getting some sponsorship using the ebike as a hook. We have so much smarts here, another place to look at in AZ would be the electric company.
SRP (Salt River Project) and APS (Arizona Public Service) are the major ones (not sure if there are smaller ones).
They've both sponsored things before, but I don't know if they'd do anything like this event. Usually they're more generalized-interest events.

Someone who is less wordy than I am and more likely to get their message actually *read* in full should be the one to contact them about it. :lol:

I was thinking for the Death Race, if money is the main problem, you could charge $40 to race in the death race and it's heat race. Preliminary heats would then be another class, that cost the same $15. Call it commuter class or something. So it would still be cheap to show up and race one heat with the less modified bikes. 10 motivated racers would raise $400 that way. Then find sponsorship for another thou if possible.

Too much money. The gassers already talk that they don't want to go electric because of the cost of electric bicycles with their expensive batteries. I would not want to pay that much for racing either. There is no money won for placing either and that is just fine with me. The economy is tough on everyone and I suspect lower turnouts because of it. A couple guys that were going to show up with me were already bitching about the $15 to get into the race. Ultimately they did not show up. Others, that did show up had no money to help with expense of fuel to get to Tucson in the first place. My 2 cents is to keep the pricing low so most can afford to maybe still do it during these tough times.

Yeah I know, but the plain hard facts are that rent a track for an afternoon is usually at least $1500. Or more. So it's a problem. That's why squeezing into the regularly scheduled race days makes sense, vs having the track to ourselves for a day. If ten guys show up, then the track owner gets a few more bux. But if the real cost per rider is not covered by that $15, then the fee has to go up.

Raise enough sponsor money, and we get the track with a cheap admission. We need some way to make it still be $15 for the guys with no money, and no thoughts of winning. But a bigger fee for the guys serious about the main event is not unreasonable. That may be less than 10 guys. It would be part of the creation of two classes. A fun race class, and a death race class. Wanna win both, pay twice.

I live so far away from Tucson that the only way I'm going to get there is to incorporate the race into my next vacation. $100 here $40 dollars there, are just expenses I have to figure into the long range planning. I already have the bike which was the most expensive part of the equation. I have started preparing a news release to distribute to the local papers. Then I can take the news release and show it to the community colleges, universities, and utilities in my area. This should include email contact info so that individuals with interest can contact me as well. Shameless self promotion could be useful. I live in a small town and several people have told of others building electric motorcycles. I shall have to try to initiate these people into our club. I keep in mind that I am writing for the general public and not necessarily tech heads. Although, I will throw in a few tidbits like Custom spec'd controller with 24 mosfets capable of 10kw. I will use wording like re-purposed Lithium Polymer battery cells sourced from the model rc industry. Handmade wiring harness, etc. and pictures.

Amberwolf, I was wondering if you have a MTB frame, maybe chromoly? That would be a good start. Then focus on one component at a time, perhaps a Lyen 100v 100a controller or one of your choice. Some may scoff at the next step. if they do, that is too bad for them. If you do this, it will work, I promise you. All you have to do is convince yourself that it will.
Bring up a picture of the controller you want, maybe even print it. Then make a mental picture of it, are you good at visualization? Focus on this one thing until you have it in your hands. Then move on to the next item, say Lipo. This may require some time as there is a delay built into the universe. Once you have the major components, then switch to visualizing the completed bike. Hopefully, it will look sleek and fast and not like this........ Just kidding, this guy was really cool. He wanted $10 for the picture, I said its my birthday. He agreed not to charge. I gave him $5 for the pic anyway. He's been living on that bike for 15 years. His name is 'Buddy'. Seriously though, Visualition is a very powerful tool. There is one member I know of here who uses Visualization with ngreat results. When you look at his build thread, you can see the creative process as it unfolds before your eyes. He even sketches the full size frame on the floor of his shop. Now other members will read this and they too might focus on your project, are you familiar with Quantum Entanglement Theory? Perhaps someone has extra components laying around. Shipping might be a problem for you. A Paypal account could be useful so that members can donate $10 or something, I suggest handling that by PM. Even if something keeps me from attending the next race in person, at least I will feel like a part of your effort if I help you in some way, no matter how small.

Dogman -

I'm sorry about that bullshit. I was sure this year you'd win hands down :D

Oh well, maybe next year I can go and race, or at least help "sponsor" you, if not in the way of cash or batteries at least with any bike parts you need from the community bike shop in my town.

You definitely got this next time around!

BTW where are the videos from your helmet cam? I'm trying to get my older brother into ebikes, and he has a mongoose blackcombe. I think he'd get a kick out of you shoving your way to first :)

I think that there is a thread specifically for his (and other) photos and videos, something like "Dogman's Spooky Tooth Vids and pics", IIRC.

Dunno how I missed your reply back then, Seriousknot, but:
Seriousknot said:
Amberwolf, I was wondering if you have a MTB frame, maybe chromoly? That would be a good start. Then focus on one component at a time, perhaps a Lyen 100v 100a controller or one of your choice. Some may scoff at the next step. if they do, that is too bad for them. If you do this, it will work, I promise you. All you have to do is convince yourself that it will.
Bring up a picture of the controller you want, maybe even print it. Then make a mental picture of it, are you good at visualization? Focus on this one thing until you have it in your hands. Then move on to the next item, say Lipo. This may require some time as there is a delay built into the universe. Once you have the major components, then switch to visualizing the completed bike. Hopefully, it will look sleek and fast and not like this
Actually, I'd be perfectly ok with it looking like that, since CB2 isn't all that far from it as it is. :lol: The cooler it looks the more likely it is to get messed with or stolen, in my experience. :( Still, I am working on a bike that will hopefully look better than CB2 (and operate better). I just don't know how long it's going to take to put together; mostly it's time to work on it that's a problem, though parts sometimes are an issue.

FWIW, I must be doing what you're talking about subconciously, because that sort of thing has happened most of my life. If I *really* want or need something, eventually I will get it or something enough like it to serve the purpose, though it might be a few years, sometimes.

(Once, when they first came out, I saw the Yamaha G10/G10C MIDI guitar setup at the music gear shop I frequently "window shopped" at, for only about $4500. I loved it's looks and what it could do in the hands of someone actually able to play guitar (I couldn't). Several years later, I found the two crucial parts in a pawn shop fire sale, in two different departments (they apparently didn't know they went together), priced for only $130. I didn't really have lots of money to spend then, but more than I do now, so I got it, and it worked (with a couple of minor repairs). It enabled me to do lots of things with music that I coudln't do playing a keyboard, even though I still couldn't play guitar properly. :) ).

I've actually had a fair amount of donations of parts (both broken and working) from various ES members and readers of my Electricle project blog, and without them I probably wouldn't have working ebikes right now, or most of the time. Certainly not as reliably working as they are, nor as powerful to haul me and cargo and dogs and whatnot, and definitely not with the range I have for the weight. :) (vs recycled SLA)

So even though I'm not doing quite what you suggest, it still seems to work out ok. :) I'm grateful enough for the help I've already been given, though I am not proud enough to turn down any that's offered. :oops:

That thread is pretty buried. But you can goto youtube and just search Spooky tooth undead race and find em.

Or search for me, Dogman5018 on youtube. Also don't miss fairracing31 vids. [youtube]reEUAFVqM0o[/youtube]

That link is to the heat race, where I was running 72v. I only got the first lap or so of the main, where I was running 90v. Next april, I will be running close the max volts my lyen controller can take. Enough to where I can't use my CA which is rated 100v.

God knows what Live for Physics and Thud are bringing. :shock: Hoping for an electric sweep of the podium. :mrgreen: Gotta have three ebikes not crash or break to do that though.

Back