DIY motor. Out of wood???

dozentrio

10 kW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy6jZEW9uxc&feature=related

He says after some refinements, it does 20kW. That's pretty impressive, and makes me wonder just how easy it is to build your own ridiculously powerful brushless motor. Seems there were no stator laminations? I'm almost tempted to try this myself. I would, if it weren't for the lack of a suitable controller. How far off are we from an electric, personal VTOL vehicle? I guess the weak link there will still be the batteries.

Wow very cool! I wonder how l much the wood can take in terms of the centrifugal force on it?
Like I meen sure the blade is wood as well but the weight of the magnets inside the motor and what ever else is spinning might be a limit to the rpm?

Ok so were the hell does a guy get lots of magnet wire? I started to build my own motor and could not find it cheep enough I have 4 rolls at 1/2 lb a roll of different sizes but the price of the copper was more then my x5 so I gave up till I found way cheeper copper.

those coils in the video look pre-made... maybe you can find a source for high temp coils

dozentrio said:
those coils in the video look pre-made... maybe you can find a source for high temp coils
I have seen guys build these type of motors and they usaly wind them them selfs with a jig they make for it!

Just by chance read about it on ES before lots of info :

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14134

Plywood is fantastic stuff :D I think you can build anything you want with it !

Arlo1 said:
Ok so were the hell does a guy get lots of magnet wire? I started to build my own motor and could not find it cheep enough I have 4 rolls at 1/2 lb a roll of different sizes but the price of the copper was more then my x5 so I gave up till I found way cheeper copper.

Heaps of magnet wire of all gauges and roll sizes on ebay mate i bought mine from there.

KiM

AussieJester said:
Arlo1 said:

Heaps of magnet wire of all gauges and roll sizes on ebay mate i bought mine from there.

KiM
Thanks man I thought I serched it but must not have.

Back