TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

twiersum said:
Mctubster

Did the converter work well? I had tried something similar but it didnt work. I would love to find a converter that could work in the 3.0-4.2v range so we can just run batteries in parrallel which is much simpler and less prone to failure. Plus you could have any size pack you want based on space.

I also notice the power fade a lot whrn my battery gets low and I have to run boost because lvl 1 & 2 are too weak.

Hi, I haven't tried the converter with the TSDZ2, and I only played around with it on my Bafang right before I swapped to the TSDZ2. I bought the converter because the BBS01b cadence dropped off horribly as the battery discharged ... something the TSDZ2 does not do as much running the open source firmware.

Boost converters work well when there is a relatively small gap between the battery output and desired output.

I would think there could be other issues running a lot of cells in parallel without isolating during charge, not to mention boosting this voltage at high currents efficiently would be difficult and expensive.

What is wrong with series/parallel?

What was the issue you had with your converter?

AZUR said:
Hi

This is my new bike with TSDZ2 and Opensource SW and 850C Display

My thanks to Casainho that makes it possible.

Is a Giant Trance Ltd 2014, 140mm Front and Rear.

Very nice job, looks great. Can I ask how you interfaced the TSDZ2 into the bottom bracket shell? I assume that bike had some kind of press fit bearings? Did you just remove and it was a snug fit or did you use an adaptor?

Cheers

Got my SW102 from pswpower today. Do I still need to cut it open to flash / update bootloader and firmware or can it be done via bluetooth. Recall reading that bluetooth was on the way.

danielson said:
Got my SW102 from pswpower today. Do I still need to cut it open to flash / update bootloader and firmware or can it be done via bluetooth. Recall reading that bluetooth was on the way.
Follow the wiki instructions.

AZUR said:
I have 2 issues.

First is that I don’t get any value in the trip distance field.

Second issue, I can only enter in the configuration menu and modify the fields.

On main screen I can´t modify the fields.

Because the test I am going to do with 15S battery, and because I don´t have yet the BMS installed I would like to see Voltage and Current on the main screen.
Really nice bike!!! The battery should be pretty small to be on that bag... is that 13S1P, 230 Watt-hour??

Yes, this are bugs that I should solve for next release, that I hope I will do this week.

The 850C display needs more love on the wiki, I need to improve much more the documentation. So, I just created a specific page that is linked from main page and has the keys you are looking for, please report if it worked for you:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Features-and-configurations-on-850C-display

Keys combinations
Main screen
- ON/OFF long press to turn of
- UP or DOWN click to change assist level
- UP and DOWN click to enter configurations screen
- ON/OFF quick click + long press to select which variable to show on the four numeric fields at center and on the graph.
-- UP or DOWN click to choose a new variable
-- ON/OFF click to jump to next field
-- ON/OFF long press to leave
Configurations screen
- ON/OFF long press to go back
- UP or DOWN click to scroll up or down
- ON/OFF click select and edit item field
-- ON/OFF long press to apply

Snoopz said:
AZUR said:
Hi,

I´m using last TSDZ2 and 850C display compatible versions.

I tried firmware yesterday, for the first time, and it´s awesome.

Thanks Casainho.

I have 2 issues.

Because the test I am going to do with 15S battery, and because I don´t have yet the BMS installed I would like to see Voltage and Current on the main screen.

Casainho, am I doing something wrong ?

How can I modify the fields in the main screen?

Best Regards

20191129_142737_size A.jpg

Voltage shows if you disable battery soc. It then replaces the percentage on the left corner of the display.

As for the fields, I have the same problem. Tripmeter doesn't show and I have two indications of my speed (big main number, and another on the bottom right). Kinda just need the one in the middle.

Let's see what the answer is. Changed to a 52T chain ring and getting speeds right under 55 km/h, it's insane 😅

I'll test the walkassist tomorrow, and I replaced the crank.

Ride on folks

Thanks I will try.

casainho said:
AZUR said:
I have 2 issues.

Really nice bike!!! The battery should be pretty small to be on that bag... is that 13S1P, 230 Watt-hour??

Yes, this are bugs that I should solve for next release, that I hope I will do this week.

The 850C display needs more love on the wiki, I need to improve much more the documentation. So, I just created a specific page that is linked from main page and has the keys you are looking for, please report if it worked for you:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Features-and-configurations-on-850C-display

Keys combinations
Main screen
- ON/OFF long press to turn of
- UP or DOWN click to change assist level
- UP and DOWN click to enter configurations screen
- ON/OFF quick click + long press to select which variable to show on the four numeric fields at center and on the graph.
-- UP or DOWN click to choose a new variable
-- ON/OFF click to jump to next field
-- ON/OFF long press to leave
Configurations screen
- ON/OFF long press to go back
- UP or DOWN click to scroll up or down
- ON/OFF click select and edit item field
-- ON/OFF long press to apply

Thanks Casainho,

I will try the display as soon I have my battery ok again.

Today, before the ride, I´ve made a short circuit and one cell die.

It was 13s1P.

Next time will be 15S1P.

54 Volt battery with maximum 63V (at 4,2V cell)

Tomorrow I will change it, and after I will tell you if it works or the controller burns !!!

Yes, with 3,6V/cell 13S1P it´s 230Wh

With 15S1P will be 260Wh.

As soon I make the 15S test I will do 2 or 3 batteries with a total of 1000Wh.

15S4P 21700 4800mA with BMS and Bluetooth.

I´m doing myself the battery.

My wife´s battery was made by a professional.

Regards

mctubster said:
AZUR said:
Hi

This is my new bike with TSDZ2 and Opensource SW and 850C Display

My thanks to Casainho that makes it possible.

Is a Giant Trance Ltd 2014, 140mm Front and Rear.

Very nice job, looks great. Can I ask how you interfaced the TSDZ2 into the bottom bracket shell? I assume that bike had some kind of press fit bearings? Did you just remove and it was a snug fit or did you use an adaptor?

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes I use an adapter.

My Bottom Bracket it´s 41mmx91mm.

First I bought the adapter from www.future-bike.it

http://www.shop.future-bike.it/futurebikeshop/prodotto/adattatore/

The problem is the adapter only has 68mm.

I did another adapter, with the same shape but with about 90mm.

I did it in my local bike shop.

Maybe you can ask future-bike to make it with the size of you frame.

It doesn’t make sense to sell an 68mm adapter for a motor with 92mm axel !!

But they did it !!!!

In the end I bought 2 adapters !!!.

The “secret” of the adapter, is that the hole is not centered in the BB. It is necessary to do this in order to get the motor well installed.

View attachment 4

20191202_220037 T2.jpg

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

20191202_220300_T2.jpg

Regards

casainho said:
danielson said:

Thanks, I thought I read that it would / might be possible to do it without cutting to make the swd connection soon. Have I read wrongly ?

Guys, bit of a grumble and it must irritating for the software developers having to wade through a whole pile of bike and battery related stuff on the Motor Technology thread.

Perhaps we could get it back on the correct thread and leave the actual software and motor development here.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788

danielson said:
casainho said:
danielson said:

Thanks, I thought I read that it would / might be possible to do it without cutting to make the swd connection soon. Have I read wrongly ?

Yeah you still have to open it for the first go.
I did find that rather than cutting it open, you can heat it carefully from the front to soften the glue holding the glass and buttons on(much like removing a mobile phone screen). just don't heat too quickly or you'll melt the plastic.

850C display new firmware release

Download here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases/tag/850C_v0.5.0-beta.7

These release would not be possible without the recent work of the developers: geeksville, lowPerformer and casainho.

NOTE: this version was developed for the TSDZ2 motor controller firmware v0.19.0.

70063738-37212c80-15e0-11ea-9517-81aebb760b1a.jpg
70063742-38525980-15e0-11ea-8d0c-d843c89015f9.jpg

70063741-38525980-15e0-11ea-9e75-54862b97fddd.jpg
70063740-37b9c300-15e0-11ea-9c64-d828de218173.jpg

Changelog beta.6:
- corrected issue about Imperial units on graphs
- corrected issue about trip distance always being 0 on numeric field
- changed buttons to enter field customization, so no on/off button is used to enter as this can make the user to turn off the system by mistake
- added soft color transitions on error and warning thresholds values, on graph and numeric fields
- added error and warning thresholds configurations
- added graph max and min configurations
- added hall sensors state and pedal right/left state on configurations - technical, so it is easy do debug faulty hall sensors as also verify correct pedal right/left - all this needs a specific motor firmware that should release soon (based on V0.19.x) otherwise this values will be zero without meaning

casainho said:

Download here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases/tag/850C_v0.5.0-beta.7

These release would not be possible without the recent work of the developers: geeksville, lowPerformer and casainho.

NOTE: this version was developed for the TSDZ2 motor controller firmware v0.19.0.

Changelog beta.6:
- changed buttons to enter field customization, so no on/off button is used to enter as this can make the user to turn off the system by mistake
- added soft color transitions on error and warning thresholds values, on graph and numeric fields
- added hall sensors state and pedal right/left state on configurations - technical, so it is easy do debug faulty hall sensors as also verify correct pedal right/left - all this needs a specific motor firmware that should release soon (based on V0.19.x) otherwise this values will be zero without meaning

Thanks Casainho, Geeksville, and LowPerformer.

I will try tomorrow.

Regards

AZUR said:
casainho said:

Changelog beta.6:

I will try tomorrow.

Regards

So now the buttons to enter field customization is not on/off anymore?

AZUR said:
I updated the wiki, see there.

Mobile app for TSDZ2 with SW102 display

My wife is an Android developer professionally and would like to start a project for learning new mobile technologies - I suggested her to develop our app as OpenSource.

For start, we would like to research current state of art of this apps for ebikes. For instance, I think the most valuable feature may be the map navigation with on top layers the specific information of ebike like battery SOC, wheel speed, motor power, etc.

Can you guys help suggest other ebike apps to have as reference and features??

We plan to put all the notes and sources on a github repository, as OpenSource.

casainho said:

Hi casainho,

I'm trying to judge if I should purchase a better display so I can run the main version of your firmware, currently I have a VLCD5 and am running a fork.

There is a motor overrun problem because the cadence rpm does not drop to zero for up to a couple of seconds after stopping pedalling. The overrun duration increases with cadence rpm. I have heard the overrun is also present in the main v0.19 but I cannot verify it for myself, due to only having the VLCD5.

Was this ever this corrected in v0.19 or v0.20? If yes, was there any particular simple fix that resolved it, or was it a major rewrite? If it exists, I am wondering if a fix can easily be applied to the VLCD5 fork also.

Thanks.

famichiki said:
There is a motor overrun problem because the cadence rpm does not drop to zero for up to a couple of seconds after stopping pedalling. The overrun duration increases with cadence rpm
This is not my priority, may take months until something is done.

But I hope in 1 month to start working again in the motor controller but there are many things to be improved, I don't know what will happen.

casainho said:
AZUR said:
I updated the wiki, see there.

Thanks Casainho

In the 850C the configuration procedure and the information on the fields are amazing.

We can see the voltage, current, motor power, human power, cadence, etc.

Well done.

Today I did some real tests with 15S1P battery with 21700 4800mA .

I will report later but everything went ok.

AZUR said:
AZUR said:
casainho said:

Changelog beta.6:

I will try tomorrow.

Regards

Butttons to enter customization and configuration menu are swaped now.

I find it a bit difficult we currently seem to see a firmware 0.19 for sw 102 and one for 850c, and a firmware 0.20 for LCD3, plus I find it especially difficult to locate those firmwares on Github as there does not seem to be one folder containing, say, all beta firmware stuff. Would be great to have some convenient menu in github to point us to current versions of stuff and to bleeding edge versions of stuff easily.

Uturn said:
Would be great to have some convenient menu in github to point us to current versions of stuff and to bleeding edge versions of stuff easily.
Good idea. It should be a wiki page pointing to the download/release of github. Are you able to do it??

After 1300 km with the original firmware, I installed version 0.19 with display 850c and version 5 beta7.
It's great, it seems to me that the engine is less noisy, very versatile for both settings and information.
The distance trip and the odometer are reset to zero when I turn off the display. Is this normal operation?
I like toting the mileage on an entire battery discharge.

Back