2.7volt 3000 farads, pretty cool

nechaus

100 kW
Just ordered myself the most expensive capacitor i have ever purchased, i got maxwell ultracapacitor 2.7 volt 3000 farads :twisted: ,
Purchased it to just get my hands on one, maybe try a few on a small electric scooter

Could these be used with lead acid batteries?, I know it would be ridiculous kind of setup for an ebike, But was thinking it could be a way of delivering more power more quickly at start and stops

I have a 12 volt 1farad capacitor, cost my like $60 from a local electronics store, its for my car audio setup, this super cap is gonna be friken crazy, like 3000 farads its pretty impressive.
I hope this type of tech gets to much greater capacities

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxwell-BCAP3000-BoostCap-UltraCapacitor-Capacitor-3000-Farads-2-7VDC-New-/180993691330
This is the one, I only just ordered it, I will post photos and do a review when i recieve it.
Im thinking it will be bigger than a coke can but i could be wrong, You can buy cheaper ones that are like 2500 or 2000 farad, Much cheaper!
But i saw the 3000 farad and i could not stop myself.
I could actually use a single one for a pretty decent light.

oh man, i hope even more crazy capacities come out soon, I would love to see people using them on ebikes,

As this article says:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com.au/news/energy/2013/08/130821-supercapacitors/
"The energy density of supercapacitors pales against lithium ion batteries, the technology typically used today in phones and laptops. Lithium ion batteries store perhaps 20 times the energy of supercapacitors for a given weight and size."
Unless you have lots of spare space on your e-device (bike/trike/scooter) for capacitors, they take up too much room to be practical, IMHO.

Oh yeah for sure, it would not be realistic until capacity increases
Maybe soon we can make some boost packs that are small in size and will give a 5 or 10 second boost, it could be used to reduce the load on batteries when first taking off or slamming the throttle.

You are limited to 2.7 volts max. You will need a 4 or 5 of them in series just to run a useful voltage. Only practical thing I've seen is to start your car, spot welder or capture regen. I have 2 of the 3000f, but never did much with them.

How big are they?
oh man surely you can find something to use them for, they will last for ever, even using them as power source for leds would be good.

I will buy one if you want to sell a single unit.

Earlier today I was searching the www trying to a find a video of someone shorting one of these caps, but sadly it seems no one has :(

Maxwell rate the 3000 farad cap at almost 10KA short-circuit current. Still, at such a low voltage I wonder if it will be that impressive.

2.7v 3kF is 10.9kJ of energy, or right about 3Wh of energy storage provided in a very large package.

You may find if you're seeking bulk power density for even just 5-second discharge intervals, RC LiPo has the power advantage.

Ultracaps are still fun for just messing around with though.

Yeah i found some videos, looks like a few in series or something, this one welds pretty good
I have a feeling it will be more violent if a ultracap does pop, shards of metal all over the place.
[youtube]snMaqeZRgUw[/youtube]

Punx0r said:
Yep, spec sheet was 3Wh/kg and ~6000W/kg

Not to bad for power density, it's about 1/2 of good RC LiPo, which is impressive. Just a pitty it can't deliver it for more than 2 seconds.

I really want them to make it in much higher energy capacity,
I would love to buy a battery pack that is going to last me until im the age of 80, Id also go off grid,
The only thing holding me back with an off grid system is that the batteries are so expensive and they do wear out.

Back