ADAPTTO Controllers - new functions discussion

Data logging and ability to upload it to a PC. Don't care if it's a seperate unit to plug in (like the CA analogger) or part of the adaptto, just would like the functionality available.

Option to change Temperature to Celsius or Fahrenheit without having to change from miles to kilometers, I agree, this would be a good idea, as I want to see my speed in MPH, but here in the UK we measure temp in Celsius.

Another feature that would be nice is to be able to select throttle voltage or cruise speed through the controller. This way in case of a throttle failure you can drive the bike home.

I've had to push my 130lbs ebike home a few miles already after my throttle gave out and it wasn't fun.

Offroader said:
Another feature that would be nice is to be able to select throttle voltage or cruise speed through the controller. This way in case of a throttle failure you can drive the bike home.

I've had to push my 130lbs ebike home a few miles already after my throttle gave out and it wasn't fun.

How would you engage this auto throttle? Maybe a funky button hold combo on the display?

Some carry spare parts on electric bicycles for this reason. I mean this in the best possible light, but I think most don't ride electric bicycles that weight 130 pounds and lack functioning pedals, that is one of the advantages to an electric bicycle (versus an electric motorcycle/scooter). Battery is dead, controller is busted, throttle frocked? No problem, pedal it home, built in redundancy. I know it's not ideal but pedaling a relatively heavy bicycle at 7-10mph beats walking it home at 1-2mph by far.

Actually there is a way now if you adjust the throttle range really far down you can actually get some power from the bike when you exit the setup menu without your throttle working. Not a lot of power but enough to get you rolling pretty well. Even 200W really helps on a heavy ebike.

I have macgyvered my bike electronics many times and even fixed a bad throttle connection while away from home but sometimes you can't always do it. I wonder if you could just put the bike in ECO mode and run the +5 volts throttle to the sensor wire directly to get a full throttle reading then you could stay in ECO mode to limit your power to ride home.

It helps to have a regen to stop the throttle from working when you want to stop.

Actually my throttle needs replacing right now and sometimes it will engage slightly without my pressing it. The variable regen makes me feel safe because if I press that it cut offs the throttle.

Another suggestion:

Remove the 89km/h limit for the front wheel in 2WD mode !! :roll: Actually every time i shutdown the controller it reset to 89km/h eventought i adjusted it to 150kmh previously and saved the value...

Doc

So I'm still waiting on my 2WD Mini-E setup and can't wait to get running. But it's not too early for me to chip in with a wishlist, right?

* Support for torque-based PAS. Lots of people want PAS, and while the cadence sensors get it done, torque sensors are The Good Stuff and Adaptto wants to support The Good Stuff, right?

* Some sort of stand-alone charger for off-bike battery charging. It would plug into the same BMS/Power connectors, but allow charging a pack without a full controller attached.

* Some sort of connector and documented protocol for accessing the controller via external third-party and home-brewed microcontrollers. Lets face it, I'm sure the Adaptto engineering team is busy as heck with the core functionality, and many adaptto customers are software/electrical engineering geeks who'd love the option of brewing their own solutions. If you could provide even a simple serial connection that provides a stream of performance data, and the ability to set controller parameters, then the community could craft whatever solutions they want. Bluetooth interface? Wifi? Physical controls linked to specific parameters? Gauges? Indicator lights? Brake lights? Data logging? With this kind of connection available, a simple Arduino or Teensy microcontroller is all we'd need to make it happen. When people see what's possible, I can only imagine it would drive a lot of sales and help make Adaptto the default option for anyone crafting a high-end custom electric machine.

@lumenpdx 1+ for what you just said.
I can only see upsides with engaging the community in such a way. With EE and software developers a vast set of new possibilities would see the light. Developed for and within the community, by the community. I am certain it would be yet another compelling argument to put in the money for an Adaptto controller.

Screw all the new functions and other stuff.
How about working on signing up a North American distributor instead?.
Bet your sales would increase.

ccmdr said:
Maybe an option to ditch the display and have a purely bluetooth/usb phone app based controller incorperating GPS mapping, dash cam, gyroscopic levels and then all the normal functions the display currently has etc... You generally get a phone with a screen size relevant to how blind you are so font generally wouldn't be an issue :D.

Also, maybe making the phone display app hot swapable so you can switch between your commuting and offroad bike, so you could also monitor charge/charging staus when the bikes are in the garage. Allow buddy tracking with GPS for the odd woods runs when you get seperated, flat tyre's, breakdowns etc... Also so you know when to put the tea on for your partners return :wink:.

Wireless phone charging if bluetooth connection or wired DC-DC charging if USB connection. App using google maps (or equivalent) topographic elevation to automatically adjust/predict amps for max speed or range required for a more accurate 'Set Range' function. Why have a 10/15/20/30 ah size pack and use 50-60% when you could have more fun going faster or maintaining speed up hills and go to the full 80% DOD or relevant user setting.

More accurate 'Power Mode Profiles', if max power is set to 20A for example, I mean 20A not 22-25! Yes its a bike but a heavy one especially single speed, up hills in the rain :lol:.

The phone sounds good in theroy but they over heat and then the phone shuts down.'

better water proofing
lower screen ( the display sits so high) please not bigger
able to use without screen
better build Q I had 2 brake in less then a year. on 2 diff bikes
all black display I dont like the green on the sides
a US retailer so I dont have to send it all the way to Russia when it brakes
And the best for last.... able to use with middrives like LR or Tangent

I would like wires coming out bottom instead of side so not so visible.

Edit: a different mounting system. Right now, you can only mount on handlebars. Make it so you can mount on handlebar or flat surface like ebike frame or stem.

drew12345 said:
I would like wires coming out bottom instead of side so not so visible.

Edit: a different mounting system. Right now, you can only mount on handlebars. Make it so you can mount on handlebar or flat surface like ebike frame or stem.
+1 like cycleanalyst

We in europe need a "cop mode" badly.
Something to lock the eco profile in fast and you wont be able to change it into the other modes, unless you have the password.
The best solution would be an upgrade via firmware, so the customers dont need to buy a new controller.
I would spend money if there was such new firmware......
Maybe a special firmware where one existing button is for locking the eco mode in fast.
For example the exit key in normal or boost mode. Hit it once, it will lock in the eco mode.
All other customers can use the normal firmware, if they dont need this.

Mammalian04 said:
This exists already as a special firmware. Email Adaptto.

+1

ziltoid81 said:
We in europe need a "cop mode" badly.
Something to lock the eco profile in fast and you wont be able to change it into the other modes, unless you have the password.
The best solution would be an upgrade via firmware, so the customers dont need to buy a new controller.
I would spend money if there was such new firmware......
Maybe a special firmware where one existing button is for locking the eco mode in fast.
For example the exit key in normal or boost mode. Hit it once, it will lock in the eco mode.
All other customers can use the normal firmware, if they dont need this.

We really need the cop mode to be where when switching to cop mode we get full power from our ebikes. This way when you see any cops you just switch to cop mode and run. :wink:

@this cop mode: Just install a hidden switch where you can turn on / off the 3 mode-switch. If a cop wants to drive your bike and wants to check if it is driving more then 25 km/h then you just go to "eco" mode / first mode where you have installed 25 km/h, then you turn off the switch. So the switch doesn´t work anymore and doesn´t matter how often the police officer will try to switch to another mody it will not work. If you want to escape, you just have to have the switch turned on, go to "power" mode or something like that with as much km/hr as you want and drive away from the cop.

Where did i mentioned that i want to run from the cops?
And all your next posting was weird too, there is already a firmware from adaptto which solves my problem.

Also, a cop wont test ride your bike, theyre not allowed.
If he does it against your will, he is a stupid one and gambles with her/his job.
But they can take the bike from you, if you cant convince them that its street legal.
Then an engineer will check it.

afc2015s.png

Adaptto, I can't read the above post! It is cut off on the right side. Can you make it smaller so I can participate?

Back