ADAPTTO Controllers - new functions discussion

skWarDog said:
Adaptto, I can't read the above post! It is cut off on the right side. Can you make it smaller so I can participate?

If you right click the picture above and have it open in a new tab you will see all of the image.

macribs said:
Ohh I totally forgot one major function, wheelie control.

The wheelie control should work as an anti wheelie control and as a tool to avoid flipping over. Could use either regen or throttle to avoid flipping. 12 o'clock wheelies for everyone :twisted: :twisted:

Like we seen on the Audi E-bike a few years ago.

I agree, I believe the only way we are going to get this any time soon is if Adaptto implements it.

We need to push them harder to build this into their controllers.

Adaptto if you are reading this try very hard to build in a Wheelie control into future controllers.

Yes maybe if people would jump in and kindly ask for wheelie control, Adaptto would see and realize there is a high demand for this and then they might implement wheelie mode.

macribs said:
Yes maybe if people would jump in and kindly ask for wheelie control, Adaptto would see and realize there is a high demand for this and then they might implement wheelie mode.

Yes, I am thinking about contacting them directly about this. Another high end Ebike has the feature.

https://www.trefectamobility.com/e-bikes/

It sucks not being able to Wheelie as sometimes people yell to me wheelie the bike and I have this big expensive Ebike and can't do it, LOL. I also get asked a lot about if I can wheelie.

I also wouldn't mind going down the West side bike path in Manhattan in a wheelie the whole time.

Now those are some pretty cool features. I am a Ducati guy so of course I like the single sided swingarm.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is in or beyond high end motorcycle price point.

I think it won´t be that hard to make such a not quite perfect wheely controll with an Ardunio and a motion pad for Arduino. The idea is quite simple. Press a buttom, special angel is set. Bike gives as long power as it is on this angle. When overflipping it switches to regen and brakes the bike. Now just calibrate the whole thing and levoila.. Wheely mode for around 20 bucks. Someone want to buy me a bear? Yey 8)

Dang Offroader that was some bike. Me like alot. :)
Sucks to have champagne taste and hot dog income.

Lets hope Adaptto takes wheelie mode to heart. Then we can make our own wheelie bikes :twisted:
All other threads about wheelie mode kind of died out without real commitments.

Really, we use need it to regen when a 10 or so degrees past balance. That way we can actually learn to wheelie on our own without cracking our skull open (or tailbone in Hyena's case). I kid Jay. ;)

Why just don´t practice how to wheely? I mean I can do it on a 25 km/h pedelec. So why not also on a Vector? Shouldn´t be that hard. AridersLife from YouTube had a Stealth Bomber and made some awesome wheelys also. Try it, nail it. :roll:

[youtube]1xID556Nevw[/youtube]

I can wheelie with a motorcycle but then I clutch it up on the rear wheel.
As e-bikes lack the clutch I can just imagine finding the balance point will be that much harder and as the hub motors many uses are torque monsters the throttle might just feel a little twitchy.

I'll rather practice in wheelie mode to avoid cracking my skull open if flipped on my back.

Come to think of it, the display of the Adaptto will for many owners always be at risk when bike is parked in public. Stupid people could steal it, break it or smash the screen.
It would be nice if the display was mounted on a quick release bracket. And the wiring should have quick release connectors. Would it be possible to have the wires connect to the display with RJ 45 plugs? Then it would be easy to disconnect and put the display in your pocket when parking in public area.

rj_45_cables.jpg

macribs, if you wanted you could easily modify your display to have that. Just snip the wires and add the connection.

Offroader said:
macribs, if you wanted you could easily modify your display to have that. Just snip the wires and add the connection.

Thats a great idea! I have a bunch of RJ45 connectors I could try this on.

Regarding mounting the display, we could probably adapt a "RAM Mount" that people commonly use for mounting GPS on motorcycles. Should be easy enough to trim some plastic of a cell phone holder to be flat and then drill the 4 holes for the Adaptto. I really like this idea! The only problem is mounting in a way that does not expose the display to damage in a crash (something I seem to be doing a lot lately - I have already broken the ends off of 2 throttles - lol...).

Just thought of a nice feature. An option to hook up a battery temp probe.

This would be nice for safety, when charging if the pack starts overheating due to some issue it can stop the charge. Good for preventing fires.

Also it would be nice to monitor the pack temp, this is good for pushing 18650 packs and monitoring to make sure you're not overheating the pack and damaging it.

Apologies in advance for the heavily edited cross post because I'd like to see some resolution here.

HamsterPower said:
As a disclaimer, I've not bought a or sold any controller yet.

1. Battery costs can easily out pace the controller/display cost. Thus far, beyond the supplement diagram, there is no BMS or battery system construction guidance from Adaptto.
- When using JST splitters, there's reports of blowing the controller due to either intentionally or unintentionally disconnecting the BMS/mains in an out of order fashion. So to do it safely, it'd seem you're limited to one balancing board per 4s.
- Should you go beyond the 7 balancing boards the BMS comes with, the bar graph display does not cleanly show the additional balancing boards and there seems to be quirks such that they're not being analyzed properly. From the supplement, they mention a BMS channel B that is to be used when the number of balancing boards exceeds 16 but there's no mention of any best practice usages or upper limits for board counts.
- The boards are 4s boards and without guidance, a safe and limiting bet would mean use of only 4s cell groupings. The supplement mentions that it's easy to swap but the reality is that you must solder the intra-BMS board connections (beyond 4 boards). Adaptto needs to make intra-board connectors and for goof proofing, I wouldn't use JST connectors and would recommend connectors that lock.
- As is, there's no real cost savings here with the number of boards needed and high the cost for each.
- The documentation around battery maintenance and preservation is non-existent. Until this has been fully fleshed out, I'll assume that battery safety and longevity will be better served by the Satiator with the charging done offline from the Adaptto.
- Charging & design considerations seem problematic. Without a full charging solution with charger, one has to guess as to the relative safety and proper handling of differing battery chemistries. Along with this comes the need to remember to exit charging mode on the display such that things don't break. Oh, and don't forget, per the supplement, exploitation is strictly forbidden in charging mode, whatever that's to mean.

2. There's still a guessing/troubleshooting cost that exceeds others. There's only two sources (a duopoly, if you will) from whom you can order Adaptto. Neither offer full kits or any guidance on what extra parts (e.g. throttles, brakes, sensors, chargers, connectors, circuit breaker etc.) work without undue experimentation.

3. Right sizing is still a wild guess. True, there are resources out there we can use to model (thanks, Justin) but I could not locate the information needed to create a custom controller. Nor is there any easy or readily available indicator of optimal matching of controller to motor and to battery properties.

should just copy the way bionx does there display mount. with just one hand the display comes off the base. nothing to disconnect. weather proof. never had a problem with one off-road either

bionx05.jpg

flathill said:
should just copy the way bionx does there display mount. with just one hand the display comes off the base. nothing to disconnect. weather proof. never had a problem with one off-road either

bionx05.jpg

very nice but id want a bolt lock on that too..

The one thing I find borderline repulsing about the Adaptto is the cheap looking display. Remove that fugly display, and let users hook up their smartphones or pads instead. That way good looking and modern GUI can be made, a GUI that puts the owner in control over what info to display and how to display it. And that smartphone/pad will be the perfect solution to harvest raw data and save logs.

Adaptto face the future and embrace the possibilities. Ditch the cheap china screen and suit up for high end display via adaptto owners personal hardware, phone, or pad.

And while I am at it, what about giving us an API so we the community can contribute too?

I would love to see an App integration option. I like having hard buttons though so maybe a combination or APP integration as an optional accessory could be worked out. Nothing more annoying than having to take your gloves off to unlock your phone or to get the touchscreen to work right. Plus, in direct sunlight, most phone screens suck.

skWarDog said:
Adaptto, I can't read the above post! It is cut off on the right side. Can you make it smaller so I can participate?
Right mouseclick on the picture. Then press some of the first options. Should load the whole thing new. Or just save it on your PC.

macribs said:
Come to think of it, the display of the Adaptto will for many owners always be at risk when bike is parked in public. Stupid people could steal it, break it or smash the screen.
It would be nice if the display was mounted on a quick release bracket. And the wiring should have quick release connectors. Would it be possible to have the wires connect to the display with RJ 45 plugs? Then it would be easy to disconnect and put the display in your pocket when parking in public area.

rj_45_cables.jpg

Oh the old rj45, Ho we all hate them as network techs! We love when that plastic lock snaps! And that it is to bulky for the new, thin computers so we need to use adapters!
I wish they could come to a new standard!

Mammalian04 said:
I would love to see an App integration option. I like having hard buttons though so maybe a combination or APP integration as an optional accessory could be worked out. Nothing more annoying than having to take your gloves off to unlock your phone or to get the touchscreen to work right. Plus, in direct sunlight, most phone screens suck.

Get new gloves or hack the ones you got :)
Or go crazy and cut one of the fingertips of your glove. Then you can navigate your screen and use a firearm without problems :mrgreen:

One thing don't have to dismiss the other. Screens of today work pretty good even outside in the sun and if you got power to the phone just use screen settings 100%, but I agree if sun hits directly it makes it harder to read screen. But a combination of hardware buttons and on screen buttons would work wonders. I am thinking the so popular 3 step button to prepgrogram settings. And a key switch maybe even regen button. More then that is best done on the screen, right?

Oh the old rj45, Ho we all hate them as network techs! We love when that plastic lock snaps! And that it is to bulky for the new, thin computers so we need to use adapters!
I wish they could come to a new standard!

Hehe yes those are brittle little things. A few years back I remember seeing some RJ 45 connectors made for heavy duty use in rough spots, such a cold storage locations etc. Don't know if those are available still. But if they are shill out a few extra bobs and say goodbye to faulty connectors. It was made of some durable plastic or poly material and should withstand temps to 20 below or something. Until new standards are available RJ 45 might still be a good choice if those HD ones are possible to get.

But for the Adaptto what we really need is to loose that cheap looking China screen. It is borderline repulsive. At least we should have an option to hook up any smartphone/phablet/tablet. That screen is so 2000.

Btw they are still available in various materials and forms.

25046-2321049.jpg

a button or similar to limit it to xxxxW or speeds as many countrys have a speed or power limit for bikes, If then to get it out of the restriction mode it was slightly difficult eg hold button for a few seconds.

Also you can set limits the voltage and current why not power. Hell I don't care if it lies and tells me im in 300w mode when im currently at 500w

Back