Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Ok so i have the max-e working well with a rv100 for about 99% of the time, however under near max throttle and higher rpms the power cuts out intermittently. Its only for a moment, less than a second, but happens every 10 secs or so at near max/max throttle. Basically feels like the controller momentarily looses sync with the motor (though there's no noise that would indicate this)

It doesn't appear to be a halls issue as they check out fine
it doesn't appear to be a LVC problem as it happens under different modes with different current limits
it shouldn't be the ERPM as its well below the 60k max
doesn't appear to be connections as it happens consistently at only near max throttle, regardless of terrain.
motor temp isn't being monitored, controller temp is fine

Any ideas where to start?

sn0wchyld said:

where have you run the hall wires? because there could occur noise if they are near the phase wires and the higher the current, the more noise will be.

@ sn0wchyld +1 Check the halls.

Had very similar thing, turned out the terminations on the legs on the 'Halls' weren't soldered. Ran perfectly up to a certain rpm, then the vibration would cause the cut out. A 'Normal' Halls check will show up fine.

Just something else to consider. I hooked my temp gauge through the halls ground wire (like adaptto recommended?) and I believe on full throttle my bike would cut out. What was happening was the temperature was showing up at ridiculous high temperatures like 600deg for a quick second hitting the temperature cut off voltage at full throttle. I then routed my negative temp sensor directly with its own wire and it fixed the problem.

I also had something similar when I hooked up something to the USB port which was too high an amp draw.

I would disable your over temp control, also disable the LVC completely just to make sure you're not hitting any of these.

sn0wchyld said:
Ok so i have the max-e working well with a rv100 for about 99% of the time, however under near max throttle and higher rpms the power cuts out intermittently. Its only for a moment, less than a second, but happens every 10 secs or so at near max/max throttle. Basically feels like the controller momentarily looses sync with the motor (though there's no noise that would indicate this)

It doesn't appear to be a halls issue as they check out fine
it doesn't appear to be a LVC problem as it happens under different modes with different current limits
it shouldn't be the ERPM as its well below the 60k max
doesn't appear to be connections as it happens consistently at only near max throttle, regardless of terrain.
motor temp isn't being monitored, controller temp is fine

My max-e was doing this for a couple of weeks. Seems to have cured itself for now

If i remember right it was more so when it was colder out, around 30F

Adaptto mini-e setup error help request:

Installing new mini-e and new mac motor. During auto-detect I get failure due to "halls error1"

Running health monitor, I get hall rotation 1,2,3,4,5,6 and corresponding digits of 100,101,001,011,010,110.

If i try to use the throttle without successful auto detect I get some intermittent wheel spin and some grinding noise. Wheel spin is pretty low speed maybe 5 mph and easy to stop by hand...very little torque.

Any suggestions for me? Guidance much appreciated. :D

nadidlab said:

Installing new mini-e and new mac motor. During auto-detect I get failure due to "halls error1"

Running health monitor, I get hall rotation 1,2,3,4,5,6 and corresponding digits of 100,101,001,011,010,110.

If i try to use the throttle without successful auto detect I get some intermittent wheel spin and some grinding noise. Wheel spin is pretty low speed maybe 5 mph and easy to stop by hand...very little torque.

For me this was a blown resistor in the Adaptto controller. Could have been a slight touch of halls to phase blowing the resistor like a fuse, or maybe a more permanent short in the wires somewhere.

I'd start by checking your halls voltage coming from the controller with a volt meter (not the voltage in the Adaptto display as this is often wrong).

Just to eliminate the halls sensors in the motor as a source of the problem, you might check them with a tester if you have one. Handy to have in an eBikers toolbox but not absolutely necessary. CAN BE PURCHASED HERE, ON EBAY, AND ELSEWHERE.

Mammalian04 said:
nadidlab said:

For me this was a blown resistor in the Adaptto controller. Could have been a slight touch of halls to phase blowing the resistor like a fuse, or maybe a more permanent short in the wires somewhere.

I'd start by checking your halls voltage coming from the controller with a volt meter (not the voltage in the Adaptto display as this is often wrong).

Just to eliminate the halls sensors in the motor as a source of the problem, you might check them with a tester if you have one. Handy to have in an eBikers toolbox but not absolutely necessary. CAN BE PURCHASED HERE, ON EBAY, AND ELSEWHERE.

from the figures you posted there, looks like your halls are ok.

id be checking your connections/ solder joints everywhere with the meter....
could be a badconnection on the phases too.

I have another tuning question:
I think I must be close with my motor tune as I'm getting decent range, however there are a few things that make me think if it's still not right:
1) At full speed on the flat (55kph), I am still seeing max amps draw in Normal mode of 45A. On my other controllers, once top speed is reached, amps should drop off and just be what is required to maintain the speed, but my Mini-E just sits at 45-46A the whole time.
2) Related to the above, riding at full speed results in a lot of heat, but tight twisty single track off-road is ok as I never reach full speed much.
3) Without changing the tuning settings, changing to square wave mode, the motor sounds very rough and is not anywhere near as smooth as my other square wave controllers.

Tuning the controller in Sinewave mode seems much more difficult as I can't hear much change as I adjust things until I adjust them much further than needed. Based on the 3rd issue, I'm wondering if it would be easier to tune the hall angle, and ind timing in square wave mode, then switch back to sinewave. Would this work?
I did try it a bit already, but could not manage to get a smooth result in square wave mode without changing my hall angle to more than -12 degree's which seems way off when my angle for sine wave is around -5 degrees.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
I think I must be close with my motor tune as I'm getting decent range, however there are a few things that make me think if it's still not right:
1) At full speed on the flat (55kph), I am still seeing max amps draw in Normal mode of 45A. On my other controllers, once top speed is reached, amps should drop off and just be what is required to maintain the speed, but my Mini-E just sits at 45-46A the whole time.
2) Related to the above, riding at full speed results in a lot of heat, but tight twisty single track off-road is ok as I never reach full speed much.
3) Without changing the tuning settings, changing to square wave mode, the motor sounds very rough and is not anywhere near as smooth as my other square wave controllers.

Tuning the controller in Sinewave mode seems much more difficult as I can't hear much change as I adjust things until I adjust them much further than needed. Based on the 3rd issue, I'm wondering if it would be easier to tune the hall angle, and ind timing in square wave mode, then switch back to sinewave. Would this work?
I did try it a bit already, but could not manage to get a smooth result in square wave mode without changing my hall angle to more than -12 degree's which seems way off when my angle for sine wave is around -5 degrees.

Cheers

I noticed this with my motor too (rv100)
first, do you have OVS on? this will make the motor draw a lot more even at no load at max rpm, as field weakening (what OVS controls) essentially uses more current in order to increase the max rpm.
if OVS is off, try setting the max speed to just below the max motor rpm, that should let you hit top speed (or ~1km less than) without the current spiking. The way FOC works means that right at the max rpm of the motor the controller 'runs out of room' in which it can modulate power to the motor (this is putting it VERY crudely).

The best analogy i can think of atm is to imagine driving a car.
the car is the 'motor' in this analogy, and has a max speed of 100km'h.
you are the 'controller' in the analogy, and your goal is to try and maintain a speed of 100km'h, up hills, down hills, on flats, into headwinds, whatever the conditions.
However, the ammount of power the car makes drops off rapidly from about 98km'h to 100km'h.
As you can imagine, this would make maintaining the speed in such conditions right at 100km'h very hard, as you have no power left at 100km'h to compensate for changes in loads such as going up a hill.
In the controllers world, the hills, flats and headwinds change many times per second, so with no headroom in the 'power' department, maintaining 100km'h (or max rpm) becomes very hard, and inefficient, hence the higher currents.
Now if you only needed to maintain 98km'h, then that'd be relatively easy, as the car still has full power available at that speed (same with the controller at just below max motor rpm).
Alternatively, useing FOC (or increasing the OVS in the controller) effectively 'tricks' the car in to thinking that its only running at 80 or 60 or 50% of its max (100km'h) speed, and thus still allows you full power around the 100km'h mark, which would also make maintaining that speed much easier.

Its kind of the same with the motor. The controller has no headroom where it can pump in a little more current in order to keep the phase currents where it wants them, as the back emf is very close to the battery emf. All the controller can do is reduce the current tot he motor, it has no ability to increase it, and as such it does a poor job of controlling it, and wastes a lot of power. Increasing OVS will (or should, haven't tried myself yet) help, as will restricting the speed such that the motor rpm doesn't quite reach its max, just like 'tricking' the car into thinking its not going as fast as it is in the above analogy.

Idk if that makes enough sense, but I hope it gives some idea of why the power use spikes at close to max rpm.

Thanks Snowchyld. Very helpful explanation. :)
I don't have any OVS set currently, and gave up bothering with it until I get all this tuning sorted.

I will try setting the max speed as suggested and see what effect that has. The only down side of setting a speed is that it will prevent me reaching higher speeds than max motor rpm down hills, but I don't do that too often so not a huge deal.

The main question I have though, is if I can use the smoothness of tuning in Square wave mode to know if I have the right settings for Sine Wave mode. If this is possible it would make it a lot easier to get the right settings.

For something a little different...I just setup my phone in a holder next to my display so I can use it as a GPS and charge off my Adaptto while riding. :)
P1070654.jpg

P1070656.jpg

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Thanks Snowchyld. Very helpful explanation. :)
I don't have any OVS set currently, and gave up bothering with it until I get all this tuning sorted.

I will try setting the max speed as suggested and see what effect that has. The only down side of setting a speed is that it will prevent me reaching higher speeds than max motor rpm down hills, but I don't do that too often so not a huge deal.

The main question I have though, is if I can use the smoothness of tuning in Square wave mode to know if I have the right settings for Sine Wave mode. If this is possible it would make it a lot easier to get the right settings.

For something a little different...I just setup my phone in a holder next to my display so I can use it as a GPS and charge off my Adaptto while riding. :)
P1070654.jpg

P1070656.jpg

Cheers

Its hard to say for sure RE the square-->sinewave without knowing more of the firmware between the two modes. Basically there's no way to be sure (if your dont have access to lower level of the programming etc) that a good square wave offset will be a good sine offset, and even if I had access my knowledge isn't good enough to work it out anyway! Square wave tends to also be far more forgiving, so if anything its better to improve square performance by tuning on sine rather than the other way around. Cant hurt to try though!

Max speed shouldn't make a big difference to how fast you roll downhill, and flooring it with a 'max speed' setting shouldn't be that different to having no max speed - it should still result in lower motor drag at speeds above the max rpm (though dont quote me on that last one). Your rolling faster than the controller can push either way, in 1 case your reducing the drag by 98% of the max battery voltage, in the other, 100% of that max. You may find its even less drag since its not mistiming quite so much at 98%. AFAIK the controller wont actually brake to try and limit your max speed, its just dictating the speed at which provided power drops to 0.

edit
i should add to the above analogy that the 'current draw' is equivalent to how much throttle you're using in the car. since your power output near 100km'h drops rapidly, then you'll be varying the amount of car throttle by large amounts, a lot near that speed - and this is the same as your controller pulling more and more current near '100km/h'.

Cowardlyduck said:

Cheers

Is the cell phone readable during the day in the sun light?

Thanks again Snowchyld. I do understand the whole max speed thing, as this is how my Infineon based controllers work.
I think my comments on going down hills need further clarification though.
On other controllers, as I approach top speed, current drops to a lower level just to maintain that speed, however if going down hill and already at top speed, you will see a slight speed increase up to the point equivalent to the wheels max speed when lifted off the ground.
Are you saying I should set my max speed to the freewheeling speed, or the speed I actually see when cruising at Wot on the flat?

Offroader said:
Is the cell phone readable during the day in the sun light?
Don't know yet...just mounted it. Possibly not, so it may not prove to be readable all the time, but it should still be useful when navigating new area's even if I have to briefly stop to read it.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Cheers

I don't have the same setup, but generally i think i'm struggling with the same problem right now :(
My 3T mxus motor heats up very quick when using full throttle (on the flat as by you) and it also seems like the current does not decrease once it gets closer to top speed, but i need to take a closer look at that.
what i noticed is i get much higher speed as i should, without having OVS active..
according to the simulator, i should get around 80kmh (20s LiIon, 22" wheel) and the motor should be able to maintain that speed without overheating (thats even with a trapezoidal controller), but in my case it accelerates above 90kmh and overheats extremely quick.
btw: the values are from autodetect because normally they are quite optimal, only pwrtiming i have adjusted to 1,40. no other manual tuning done by now. the halls are working fine.

sn0wchyld said:
Max speed shouldn't make a big difference to how fast you roll downhill, and flooring it with a 'max speed' setting shouldn't be that different to having no max speed - it should still result in lower motor drag at speeds above the max rpm (though dont quote me on that last one). Your rolling faster than the controller can push either way, in 1 case your reducing the drag by 98% of the max battery voltage, in the other, 100% of that max. You may find its even less drag since its not mistiming quite so much at 98%. AFAIK the controller wont actually brake to try and limit your max speed, its just dictating the speed at which provided power drops to 0.

without field weakening than yes, but when using OVS, it makes a big difference if you ride downhill with a speed limit or not. i don't like that personally and i prefer to have the bike open to the top - at least in boost mode.

I have a Max-E without the on/off switch and I'd like to add one. From reading earlier in this thread, I believe the red wire going from display to controller is switched. Does anyone know the voltage or function of this switched line? Is it just power to the display? 12V,5V,etc?

Routybouty said:
I have a Max-E without the on/off switch and I'd like to add one. From reading earlier in this thread, I believe the red wire going from display to controller is switched. Does anyone know the voltage or function of this switched line? Is it just power to the display? 12V,5V,etc?

Yes, it is power to the display, but more importantly, it also turns off the throttle. I don't know the voltage but I believe it is 5v.

madin88 said:
I don't have the same setup, but generally i think i'm struggling with the same problem right now :(
Yep pretty much the exact same symptoms here. It's hard to tell, but I think I am also seeing more top speed than I should without OVS set.

It seems like a timing thing to me. If IND Timing is off, higher top speed can be the result. The problem is, depending on the hall angle correction value, for me IND timing needs to be set to between 300 and 500 to make it smooth.

For others who think they have there motor's tuned perfectly, what value's do you have set for IND timing and hall angle correction?
I think the relationship between these two values is key to figuring this out.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
madin88 said:
Yep pretty much the exact same symptoms here. It's hard to tell, but I think I am also seeing more top speed than I should without OVS set.

It seems like a timing thing to me. If IND Timing is off, higher top speed can be the result. The problem is, depending on the hall angle correction value, for me IND timing needs to be set to between 300 and 500 to make it smooth.

For others who think they have there motor's tuned perfectly, what value's do you have set for IND timing and hall angle correction?

IIRC, IND timing is a timing adjust based on the motor rpm - basically it advances the timing slightly based on motor rpm in order to compensate for delays in the controllers processing, to keep the controllers output waveform in time with the motor's wave form. This might go a long way to explaining why you guys (and me) are having issues - basically the ind setting is off, and is either advancing the timing too much, or too little. The fact that you go faster than expected suggests that its too much, and your getting into advanced timing (basically the controller is outputting a wave form that is 'leading' the motor wave form, very similar to what field weakening does, with similar effects (going beyond the expected max rpm and higher current draw). try turning it down so you get the no load RPMS you expect... FOC should mean that the motor spins slightly below the expected rpms given by kv*V. I'm not at home atm so cant test myself. Let me know if it helps and/or ill try the same next time im home.

sn0wchyld said:
Cowardlyduck said:
madin88 said:

IIRC, IND timing is a timing adjust based on the motor rpm - basically it advances the timing slightly based on motor rpm in order to compensate for delays in the controllers processing, to keep the controllers output waveform in time with the motor's wave form. This might go a long way to explaining why you guys (and me) are having issues - basically the ind setting is off, and is either advancing the timing too much, or too little. The fact that you go faster than expected suggests that its too much, and your getting into advanced timing (basically the controller is outputting a wave form that is 'leading' the motor wave form, very similar to what field weakening does, with similar effects (going beyond the expected max rpm and higher current draw). try turning it down so you get the no load RPMS you expect... FOC should mean that the motor spins slightly below the expected rpms given by kv*V. I'm not at home atm so cant test myself. Let me know if it helps and/or ill try the same next time im home.

would be really nice to be able to hook up the system to a scope of sorts to actually see the waveforms and tune them perfectly would it not?
anyone have any clues what one might use to do this?

for a given angle corr value, there must be a perfect matching ind value .this makes it rather complex as there are at least 2 varyables to deal with.
its also makes it tricky that the angle corr value modules in the controller seem to be prone to completely changing every time you do autodetect, so where you could dial in +2.4, it is replacesd by +2.98 etc.
so exactly copying others settings may not be possible either.

I would really like to get some more clarity from the Adaptto engineers on how this works exactly.

Thanks for the feedback guy's.
Before I saw your posts, I just went for a ride and tried playing around more with the IND timing.
It seems that might be the trick...at least in Normal mode. Current draw now drops as I approach 50kph. :)
In my case reducing IND timing from 300-400 down to 150-250 and also reducing my angle corr slightly seems to have helped. However setting IND timing lower than 150 I could feel and hear the motor, vs not at all above this value.

I also increased PWR timing and am liking the increased acceleration. I previously had this lower to prevent skewing the results.

Initially Boost was the same and current dropped around 50-55kph, so then I thought I would try OVS, since it seemed my issues were resolved. OVS 3 did get me up to 65kph before I ran out of road, but then I turned it back off as I don't need that kind of speed.
However now, even with OVS back to 0, Boost mode just keeps pulling and drawing more current. :?

Anyway, on the same ride I got a bad pinch flat in the rear that destroyed my tube and tire. I only just ordered more earlier today, so won't be doing any more testing/tuning for a while. :(

Cheers

ridethelightning said:
sn0wchyld said:
Cowardlyduck said:

would be really nice to be able to hook up the system to a scope of sorts to actually see the waveforms and tune them perfectly would it not?
anyone have any clues what one might use to do this?

for a given angle corr value, there must be a perfect matching ind value .this makes it rather complex as there are at least 2 varyables to deal with.
its also makes it tricky that the angle corr value modules in the controller seem to be prone to completely changing every time you do autodetect, so where you could dial in +2.4, it is replacesd by +2.98 etc.
so exactly copying others settings may not be possible either.

I would really like to get some more clarity from the Adaptto engineers on how this works exactly.

A 2 channel oscilloscope should do it, depending on what failsafes the controller has (ie preventing output if no motor sensed). I'll do it later this week if no one else gets a chance before then.
basically you disconnect the phases from the motor, and hook 2 of these up to 1 channel of the oscilloscope (leave halls connected to controller).
take the corresponding 2 phase wires from the motor and hook that up to the 2nd channel
then you need something that can spin the motor up and hold it at near max rpm, ie another motor
spin the motor up and you will be able to see the difference (if any) between the 2 signals (one from the motor and one from the controller) when the throttle is pushed.

should make tuning pretty easy, low speed to get the hall offset spot on, and then adjust near max rpm to get the ind timing spot on. unfortunately its not going to be the same for every motor, and possibly not even every controller. so if you dont have an osiliscope and a 2nd motor that can spin the 1st motor at a stable rpm... it might be a bit of a tough one.

Cowardlyduck said:
Thanks for the feedback guy's.
Before I saw your posts, I just went for a ride and tried playing around more with the IND timing.
It seems that might be the trick...at least in Normal mode. Current draw now drops as I approach 50kph. :)
In my case reducing IND timing from 300-400 down to 150-250 and also reducing my angle corr slightly seems to have helped. However setting IND timing lower than 150 I could feel and hear the motor, vs not at all above this value.

I also increased PWR timing and am liking the increased acceleration. I previously had this lower to prevent skewing the results.

Initially Boost was the same and current dropped around 50-55kph, so then I thought I would try OVS, since it seemed my issues were resolved. OVS 3 did get me up to 65kph before I ran out of road, but then I turned it back off as I don't need that kind of speed.
However now, even with OVS back to 0, Boost mode just keeps pulling and drawing more current. :?

Anyway, on the same ride I got a bad pinch flat in the rear that destroyed my tube and tire. I only just ordered more earlier today, so won't be doing any more testing/tuning for a while. :(

Cheers

sounds promising... the low ind timing results match with what would happen if the wave form starts lagging the motor's, less torque, more noise, more current (thus heat). Not sure why the boost mode would make a difference, possibly somethign to do with the larger current limits? I'd try just stationary with the wheel off the ground and make sure current drops off near max no load rpm (with OVS off).

Back