Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

I just added a torque sensing bottom bracket to my list of future upgrades. I don't really need one, but I'm hoping it provides a couple of benefits related to how I ride my bike. I'm hoping others that have added one, can confirm that it would be a good solution.

I have a lot of stops and starts when riding. Currently I use throttle and cadence PAS, and a rear hub motor. I don't shift, leaving the bike in high gear for virtually all of my riding. I use the throttle off the line, until PAS kicks in. The throttle is a little touchy, so too much could cause an unexpected wheelie, but I'm used to it; but still, the potential is there that could end in a bad way. I control PAS level using the analog input, using a pot mounted on my bars. Generally, 250W of assist has me contributing a moderate amount when travelling at 17-18 MPH, and I can scale the assist to dial in my contribution level. I don't use PAS offroad, especially when on tight/steep trails where having PAS kick in unexpectedly would be dangerous.

I'm hoping with the torque sensing PAS to achieve these things:
  • Torque from standstill with light pedal pressure to eliminate my use of throttle. This achieves my ultimate in laziness, of not having to touch the throttle during normal riding, and eliminates accidentally applying too much throttle, so some safety benefits. I think this will also make it easier to dial in my desired level of effort while riding.
  • Ability to use PAS offroad without PAS engaging at some preset level unexpectedly.

I've read the posts regarding setting up the CA and settings to achieve this, but not much after the fact feedback about how well it's working in the long run. I would still have either the analog pot or the digital CA switch to control PAS assist levels. If it works out, I can see using PAS even for steep hills, rather than throttle and pedaling (my laziness is more related to controls, like throttle or shifting, not whether I pedal or not, since I like to pedal).

EDIT: I just realized that I'll need a 10VDC supply to use a torque sensor with 20S. Just have to remember that so I don't fry the CA.

E-HP said:
I've read the posts regarding setting up the CA and settings to achieve this, but not much after the fact feedback about how well it's working in the long run. I would still have either the analog pot or the digital CA switch to control PAS assist levels. If it works out, I can see using PAS even for steep hills, rather than throttle and pedaling (my laziness is more related to controls, like throttle or shifting, not whether I pedal or not, since I like to pedal).

EDIT: I just realized that I'll need a 10VDC supply to use a torque sensor with 20S. Just have to remember that so I don't fry the CA.

You and I are in the exact same boat and usage mentality. (Even battery voltage: pro tip, I have a DC/DC 12v step down for accessories and the torque sensor works on that just fine, up to 14v even. Check your data sheet.)

I would tell you how it's going, except my FrankenRunner decided life wasn't worth living before I could start tuning :|

Hi. It seems like the only option on the Grin site for a torque sensing bottom bracket that works with both left or right foot pressure is the ERider series. NCTE senses the left crank, and TDCM and Sempu appear to be discontinued or no longer available. So is the ERider the only option, or are others available elsewhere? I wasn't planning on replacing my cranks, but looks like that's necessary for the ERider.

E-HP said:
Hi. It seems like the only option on the Grin site for a torque sensing bottom bracket that works with both left or right foot pressure is the ERider series.

The "erider" is what I installed and got working. Had to order it from AX because I needed a way wider bb than Grin sells, though:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832843823638.html

E-HP said:
I wasn't planning on replacing my cranks, but looks like that's necessary for the ERider.

Yeah, I picked up the matching cranks as well:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802302492162.html

chuyskywalker said:
E-HP said:
Hi. It seems like the only option on the Grin site for a torque sensing bottom bracket that works with both left or right foot pressure is the ERider series.

The "erider" is what I installed and got working. Had to order it from AX because I needed a way wider bb than Grin sells, though:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832843823638.html

E-HP said:
I wasn't planning on replacing my cranks, but looks like that's necessary for the ERider.

Yeah, I picked up the matching cranks as well:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802302492162.html

Thanks. I'll probably order one. At least I won't have to drill my bottom bracket shell to run the wiring. :thumb:

EDIT 10-14-22 Ordered...twice. I order from Golden Motor since they showed stock and shipping was pretty fast and reasonable. Got a call this morning saying it was back ordered, so I cancelled it. Then ordered from the links you provided, so now just need to wait about 3 weeks. This will likely be the last significant upgrade to my current bike, but I expect it to make a big difference in how I'll be riding it, likely using throttle a lot less once I get it all dialed in. :bigthumb:

OK, wondering if this would work for the 10V supply to the ERider PAS, since I'm running 20S. I have a couple of these small buck converters around that I got for lights, but never hooked up. This should get me down to 12V. I also have a bunch of silicon rectifier diodes around, so thinking of just putting 3 in series to get down to the 10V. Not sure what others have used since I don't see too many options searching around, but thought this would work without having to buy more stuff.

s-l1600.jpg

This new thing in v3.2 beta firmware sounds promising...but for my use it needs to be the analog aux allowing actual direct variable voltage, not the digiaux "button press" version. It would presumably "take out" the ability to use the aux input for anything other than an ebrake input but in my case that is perfectly acceptable.

I use a cable-operated throttle unit operated by a brake lever to modulate the regen, but at present it *also* requires I use a relay operated by a switch on the brake lever to disconnect the "real" throttle and connect the COT instead, during any braking, for this to work. Extra complexity (with potential failure modes) that wouldnt' be required with the COT running straight into the aux input.

I poked around in the help files for the recent firmwares but didn't see it as an option (might've missed it as I only searched then skimmed).

Any idea if this will be implemented, or already exists and I missed it?

(1) 6407 - (New) Digi Aux Settings for Regen Control

The ability to control regenerative braking on long downhill stretches can
be cumbersome with the combined throttle+ebrake solution of proportional
regen, as it requires both partial engagement of the brake lever and
modulation of the throttle itself while riding. In addition, ebrake cutoff
switches are problematic to install on existing bikes with high-end brake
systems and many people with a PAS setup don't want to have a throttle on
their handlebar at all. An option for controlling regen braking without
ebrake sensors or a throttle is desired.

A new parameter 'Regen Brake Steps' has been added to the Digital Aux
settings menu. When Digital Aux is enabled and set to PAS_Assist mode, this
setting appears allowing the rider to control regenerative braking through
the digi aux controls without the need for an ebrake cutoff sensor.

If the Digi Aux is already at the minimum value for PAS limiting, then
additional down button presses will cause the throttle output to drop from
MinThOut to 0V in a discrete number of steps (from 1 to 9). Setting the
number of steps to zero effectively disables this feature.

This DAux braking force is over-ridden by the throttle if the the throttle
is active. An additional setting 'ClearRegenOnStop' enables the Digi Aux brake
to clear itself automatically once the vehicle has come to a stop.

@justin_le: Pretty please?....

SolarFreak said:
lightrush said:
Just tried the 3.2b2 today with my Erider-based PAS setup and I have to say - after so many years we finally instant torque from standstill! I first used a CA to control my system in 2016 coupled with a Thun BB. New torque sensing BBs like the Sempu T2, then T4 improved responsiveness. So did added features in the CA. I had managed to dial-in the current iteration of my system to have a near-instant torque by carefully adjusting various thresholds in the system to trim delays. The result was decent but it still required some 5-20 degrees of rotation before engagement. NO MORE! I almost teared up. :lol:

I'm jealous. I downloaded the latest solar firmware looking forward to having the same result - but for some reason the 36 pole Erider settings haven't been added..... :cry:

@justin_le: Please, please can you add the Erider 36 pole settings to the solar firmware also?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I am glad to have found this thread!! I am still in the process of collecting parts for my build of the last Stealth Beta framed e-bike. I would say I have about 85% of the the parts so far, with the exception of a larger order from Justin @ Ebikes.ca. For electronics, here is what I have planned:

* LeafMotor (4T) 1500W - Purchased and out being laced

* Kelly KLS7230S Controller - Purchased

* Domino full twist Throttle - Purchased

* Tektro Hydraulic Brakes w/cutoff switches - Purchased

* Battery - 18S5P (50S cells) - Still researching

* PAS Sensor - not yet - Thinking the King Motor enclosed??

* Cycle Analyst V3 - still deciding which version??

Previous thinking: So I am definitely using Satorade (and hubsinks), so one of the first tasks is to open the Leafmotor to install the correct thermister (and install statorade with proper sealing)... Since the KLS7230s has tons of programmability, I was going to use it to do most of the controlling, while still not sure which to use for thermal rollback (Kelly or CAv3).... Then I realized the Kelly controller does not support PAS!!

Current Thinking: Now it appears that if I put the CAv3, "In charge of the controlling" I can incorporate the PAS sensor, and now I need a thermister that works well with CA for thermal rollback...

So the first few general questions are:

1. Am I on the right course now?? If I use the CA as the primary "Brain", I can have PAS (which is not available if the Kelly is the main "brain")

2. The CA v3 seems to have many thermisters that can be used now... Is there one that is best?? (that can use the existing factory wiring that shares the ground with the halls) ??

3. The Kelly controller has a 3 position power switch option (F-N-R or Lo-Med-Hi).... I'm not sure if this would still be available?? Or would it just be PAS levels available from the CAv3?? (Hoping maybe someone with Kelly controller experience can field this question)

I had no idea the CAv3 had been in development for almost 10 years before the V2 was discontinued... I have a new respect for the V3 and am quite excited about making it the "Main Brain" of this build. Design of the wiring harness will begin soon, so any and all comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Keith

I used this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JBZ63Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66489&start=2250#p1693980

I use the CA for most functions, but use cruise control using the controller since I don't like auto-cruise. I also use the 3 position switch on the controller, since high applies field weakening, so the CA couldn't control that. Using cadence PAS with the CA now, but am upgrading to torque sensing PAS next weekend (waiting for some chainring bolts to arrive).

Dunlop said:
3. The Kelly controller has a 3 position power switch option (F-N-R or Lo-Med-Hi).... I'm not sure if this would still be available?? Or would it just be PAS levels available from the CAv3??
All the CA sends the controller is a throttle signal generated based on the sensors you've connected to the CA, processed thru the settings you've chosen in the CA.

So the controller can do whatever the controller is designed to do, whether the CA is processing your inputs to make a throttle signal, or you use a direct throttle input to it.

The CA offers presets that you can use as power (or speed or current or whatever) levels, or you can use the ones in the controller if you want to use the CA presets to change something else instead.

Then the throttle signal, regardless of generation source, will modulate the controller's output within the limits of whatever the controller's 3-position switch is setup to do.

by E-HP » Nov 06 2022 9:12am
I use the CA for most functions, but use cruise control using the controller since I don't like auto-cruise. I also use the 3 position switch on the controller, since high applies field weakening, so the CA couldn't control that. Using cadence PAS with the CA now, but am upgrading to torque sensing PAS next weekend (waiting for some chainring bolts to arrive).

Hi E-HP, thanks for the reply.... I looked at your build thread, is that the controller from UUMotor.com?? When I first read your post I was thinking "I didn't see anything about Kelly offering feild weakening"!! but it appears your are not running a Kelly. I am interested to know how the 3-position switch works with PAS levels (assuming you have 5 PAS levels). So as you go through the 3 position switch does each of the PAS levels just get higher and higher??

Thanks,
Keith

The PAS into the CA is generating a throttle output based on the CA settings and your input (and any other sensors attached to the CA), so it does exactly the same thing regardless of what the controller's switch is set to--they do not interact.

The switch on the controller itself doesn't change the PAS levels (or affect the CA's output at all), it only changes the controller response to throttle input.

So if the controller changes say, speed limits, then that is what changes when you set it's 3 position switch to a different position. If it changes current limits, then that's what changes. Etc.

How the controller responds to throttle input in each switch position determines the whole system results when you change that switch to different positions.

In the case where you use the CA to limit system current (or power, or speed)
*and*
the controller's 3-position switch is used to change the controller limit for the same item,
*and*
the controller reaches that limit and stops increasing current,
*and*
the CA's limit is higher than that,
*and*
the load on the system and your input is commanding more than that, the CA should send max throttle to the controller to try to get it to reach the CA's limit.

If that case is expected to happen, it's probably better to not limit the same item in both devices, so you don't run into what "feels" like lack of control / topping out of system capability. Meaning, if you limit speed in the CA, don't use the controller to do that, and vice versa. Same with battery current, or system power, etc. Use just one to do that kind of limiting, and behavior setup and prediction is much simpler.

Dunlop said:
Hi E-HP, thanks for the reply.... I looked at your build thread, is that the controller from UUMotor.com?? When I first read your post I was thinking "I didn't see anything about Kelly offering feild weakening"!! but it appears your are not running a Kelly. I am interested to know how the 3-position switch works with PAS levels (assuming you have 5 PAS levels). So as you go through the 3 position switch does each of the PAS levels just get higher and higher??

Thanks,
Keith

PAS on the CA is controlled separately from the 3 position switch. Max PAS power/current is set in the CA setup, and then either a digital or analog aux input to the CA can adjust the assistance anywhere for zero up to the max. I've been using the analog aux input for PAS, but am switching to the digital aux when I move to the torque based PAS. Then I'll use the analog input to control max power.

Thank you amberwolf,
I must have been typing when you posted your first response :lol: So here is a couple of quotes from what I had orignally posted as my "build requirements":
So, I have been riding motorcycles for 45+ years now, and they have always been more than could ride wide open... I hope this ebike will be similar (Yes I want it to be able to throw your ass off if you just ride it like an idiot!)
MY BUILD REQUIREMENTS ARE:
1. I want to be able to cruise at 35mph (while pedaling), with a max speed of 45mph or a little more.
2..I am hoping to have some sort of "Beast Mode" for a short burst at MAX settings - Something of a "holy sh*t" factor" i.e "wheelie popper mode"
Here is the original post if you really want to see how things have progressed from start to now:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66489&start=2525#p1728260

Now that I have shared a little background/expectations, and I have read both of your posts above, let's see if I am getting things correctly... DON'T have the CA and the Kelly controller limit or modulate the same input!! That said, the CA is the only one that can control PAS settings (via Speed, Voltage, or Current (basically up to me)), so I could put the CA in control of the PAS Signal. Also it probably makes sense to route the brake cut-out signal to the CA as well. (?).... The throttle signal, on the other hand, should be controlled by the Kelly. (These last couple of sentences are statements/questions :confused:) 1. So I could use the 3-position switch feature of the Kelly to set the throttle at say, Lo=70%, Med=85%, and Hi=100% !!?? 2. It would keep the wiring very clean if the throttle was wired through the CA, but have the signal just pass-through to the Kelly?? 3. REGEN: I want to get the bike running correctly before implementing regen, but since I'm buying parts and wiring stuff, it makes sense to plan ahead. So what if I were to buy a second PAS sensor that could activate a specific amount of regen (maybe 20%), by pedaling backwards??... I believe this signal could go to the CA?? Any thoughts here?? I just recently started thinking about this, based on a post I read somewhere in this thread...
Thank you,
Keith

Dunlop said:
MY BUILD REQUIREMENTS ARE:
1. I want to be able to cruise at 35mph (while pedaling), with a max speed of 45mph or a little more.
2..I am hoping to have some sort of "Beast Mode" for a short burst at MAX settings - Something of a "holy sh*t" factor" i.e "wheelie popper mode"
Disregarding the pedal-control-input, those are up to the controller, motor, and battery, for whether they are possible or not. If you can do them with a throttle directly to the controller, then the system can do them with any other control input that sends a throttle signal to the controller instead of a physical direct throttle.

If the system can't do that now, without the CA, then it can't do it with one, either. ;)

The CA is just going to create a throttle signal from your chosen sensors via your chosen settings in the CA.

Something to consider regarding the PAS--if you want to use a torque sensor, different ones work in different ways, but if you want torque to control the power / current of the system, you'll need gearing that allows you to still provide pressure on the chainline (meaning still providing actual pedal input to the wheel) to produce significant output on the torque sensor at the max speed you want to control via PAS.

If you only use a cadence sensor, there's no requirement for this, it will still work the same even if you are ghost pedalling, even if there is no chain. :)

That said, the CA is the only one that can control PAS settings (via Speed, Voltage, or Current (basically up to me)), so I could put the CA in control of the PAS Signal.
You don't have a choice, if the controller has no PAS input. All of the sensor inputs that go into the CA are only processed by the CA, which then creates a throttle signal output based on those inputs and your settings choices within the CA.

Also it probably makes sense to route the brake cut-out signal to the CA as well. (?)....
That depends on what you want to happen when using the brake lever.

The throttle signal, on the other hand, should be controlled by the Kelly. (These last couple of sentences are statements/questions :confused:) 1. So I could use the 3-position switch feature of the Kelly to set the throttle at say, Lo=70%, Med=85%, and Hi=100% !!?? 2. It would keep the wiring very clean if the throttle was wired through the CA, but have the signal just pass-through to the Kelly?? 3.
You need to run the throttle into the CA, becuase the CA is going to create a throttle signal to go to the controller. If you connect the physical throttle to the controller, you have nowhere to connect the CA's only output to, so the CA can't do it's job. ;)

It might be possible to parallel the throttle outputs instead, so both send signals to the controller at the same time, but I'm not sure how the system will react in various situations this way. It's safer to just wire into the CA and have the CA be the only throttle signal into the controller.

There are several modes for throttle processing inside the CA, including PassThru which sends it out exactly as it came in, but doesnt' apply any limiting to it either, so if you're using CA presets for limiting system properties, they will not apply to direct throttle usage. You'll want to decide how you want the system to work before you can choose the mode you want to use; then the CAv3 info page on the Grin site has good info on how each mode of each menu works, to help decide which mode you need to use to accomplish your goal.

REGEN: I want to get the bike running correctly before implementing regen, but since I'm buying parts and wiring stuff, it makes sense to plan ahead. So what if I were to buy a second PAS sensor that could activate a specific amount of regen (maybe 20%), by pedaling backwards??... I believe this signal could go to the CA?? Any thoughts here?? I just recently started thinking about this, based on a post I read somewhere in this thread...
Well, the CA can't read two sensors to do that, but the latest version of the firmware 3.2 I think, already supports activating regen this way. You'll need to read the help file for that firmware to see what it can / can't do vs previous versions, to see if it will do what you want; it's in the help folder of the CA setup software's firmware folders, IIRC, but I've attached all the 3.2 help files to this post too.

Attachments

• help.zip
    131.7 KB · Views: 6
E-HP, it happened again.... you posted while I was composing/proofreading..... :lol:
PAS on the CA is controlled separately from the 3 position switch. Max PAS power/current is set in the CA setup, and then either a digital or analog aux input to the CA can adjust the assistance anywhere for zero up to the max. I've been using the analog aux input for PAS, but am switching to the digital aux when I move to the torque based PAS. Then I'll use the analog input to control max power.
Ok, so I understand the PAS signal can be input through the analog or digital aux port. I also understand you are using the High position of your 3 position switch to energize the field weakening (which is available in your controller).... What I am missing is what do the "Low" and "Med" positions do on your 3 position switch?? are they the same??
Thanks,
Keith

Dunlop said:
Ok, so I understand the PAS signal can be input through the analog or digital aux port.
No, the PAS signal goes into the PAS port. Depending on the specific PAS control you are using, it may have digital, analog, or both, connections, but they are all on the PAS connector.

The things E-HP is referencing are regarding the control switch or analog input for modifying a parameter / preset / etc.

Before continuing, I highly recommend reading the entire page here:
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html
so you can understand what the CA really is, what it can do for you (and what it can't), what you can hook up to it (and can't) and how/where to do that. If the text doesn't really do it for you, there are videos explaining things at the bottom of the page, and you can also ask questions here. :)

by amberwolf » Nov 06 2022 7:30pm
If the system can't do that now, without the CA, then it can't do it with one, either. ;)
I think we got that covered... (185NM in a 17 rear wheel, should do it!!) :wink:
I knew I should have explained further :oops: .. Brake input to kill the power when the brake is applied.
You need to run the throttle into the CA, because the CA is going to create a throttle signal to go to the controller. If you connect the physical throttle to the controller, you have nowhere to connect the CA's only output to, so the CA can't do it's job. ;)
This makes total sense!! I'm learning!! So the output of the CA is going to be input to the controller via the throttle wires!!??
Well, the CA can't read two sensors to do that, but the latest version of the firmware 3.2 I think, already supports activating regen this way. You'll need to read the help file for that firmware to see what it can / can't do vs previous versions, to see if it will do what you want; it's in the help folder of the CA setup software's firmware folders, IIRC, but I've attached all the 3.2 help files to this post too.
My mistake!!! I saw talk of regen, and thought there would be a port to input a regen potentiometer (thumb throttle or variable signal from a brake lever) :oops:
Thank you for attaching the help files!!! I have no problem reading up on some things, but sometimes for example if that question has already been asked, It really helps to have a pointer which direction to look. :D
Thanks again,
Keith

Dunlop said:
I knew I should have explained further :oops: .. Brake input to kill the power when the brake is applied.
If that's all you want the brake lever to do, then run it to the CA, and set the CA to drop throttle to whatever you've set as the zero-throttle-voltage when it's engaged. No braking will be activated, just complete power cut.

This makes total sense!! I'm learning!! So the output of the CA is going to be input to the controller via the throttle wires!!??
Yes. That's all the CA outputs is a throttle signal, since that's all a typical controller needs to go or not go and tell it how much to go. :)

(more complex controllers may have options for other things...but the CA wasn't designed around those, it's intended to add smart features to dumb controllers).

My mistake!!! I saw talk of regen, and thought there would be a port to input a regen potentiometer (thumb throttle or variable signal from a brake lever) :oops:
THat would be nice, but there is not, in the regular CA version. There is an eskate version of the firmware that repurposes the aux in as a throttle port and the throttle port as an analog brake port, but since that doesn't support PAS, it won't work for you (or me).

However, the Kelly itself may have a second throttle input that can be used for analog control of regen. If it does, you can use your ebrake lever to pull a cable operated throttle that then feeds into the Kelly. The switch in the ebrake lever still goes to the CA and tells it to cut throttle output off, but then the COT tells the kelly how much braking to apply. I have a thread showing the hardware, though I'm using it in a much more complicated way for a slightly different purpose that you don't likely have the option for. .

Different Kelly models have different features, so I don't know what yours has. You'd need to check it's manual and setup software to see what options it really has and how to implement them.

Thank you for attaching the help files!!!
Note that those are only for the 3.2x versions---earlier versions you can get in the folders of the CA setup program if you have it download all the firmwares available (if the version you have doesn't already have them). It doesn't require a CA to get the program and the files (or to experiment with the program to see what options you have and how you can set them up).

I have no problem reading up on some things, but sometimes for example if that question has already been asked, It really helps to have a pointer which direction to look. :D
Yes, it does. But, sometimes, you have to know enough about something to ask the right question to start with...and that's the hard part. :oops:

BTW, I don't see a "build thread" for your project that puts everyting you want and need and know you're doing, etc., all in one place. If you create one and put all your important info there, including pics of things as you go, it is not only useful for others that may want to do the same thing later on, but also for you so you can ask questions right there and get them answered, for things there isn't already a thread like this one for, and a place anyone helping you can go to find all the important things about your build to base their answers on. :) You can also reference it yourself to find an answer to a question later on when you need to know something about your build you've forgotten when you're doing something new or fixing something later on.

Man amberwolf you are quick!!
by amberwolf » Nov 06 2022 10:23pm

Dunlop wrote: ↑
Nov 06 2022 9:46pm

Ok, so I understand the PAS signal can be input through the analog or digital aux port.

No, the PAS signal goes into the PAS port. Depending on the specific PAS control you are using, it may have digital, analog, or both, connections, but they are all on the PAS connector.
Ok, I got it now!!
Before continuing, I highly recommend reading the entire page here:
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-pro ... yst-3.html
so you can understand what the CA really is, what it can do for you (and what it can't), what you can hook up to it (and can't) and how/where to do that. If the text doesn't really do it for you, there are videos explaining things at the bottom of the page, and you can also ask questions here. :)
This is where I just was, trying to figure out how I got off on my thinking there was a Regen "Input".... And yes I was going to grab a beverage and watch some of those videos!! :D
What do you recomend for some more advanced reading??... you know, "deep dive" stuff to so I can really get up to speed :?
Thanks as always,
Keith

The "unofficial guide" by teklektik, linked on that page (probably the beginning of this thread too), and this thread itself (but it covers a decade of variations, most of which aren't relevant to your needs most likely).

Mostly, the main v3 info page; once you go thru that, then think about how you want your system to operate, in detail. What you want it to do in each case (what happens when you engage throttle? What happens when you engage PAS? When you let off? When you stop pedalling? How do you want regen braking to work, if at all? Etc, etc.

Once you define exactly how you want the system to work, then you can use the details about how the CA itself works to begin working out settings for the CA to do those things; for the parts the controller has to do, you'd need to look at the specific model and version's manual from Kelly, as well as their setup software that you'll have to use to setup the controller to work with your motor anyway.

If there are things the CA can do that you know you want to work into your system, add notes about those things and how they need to be implemented to do what you want.

Once it's all defined, and you have a good idea of what CA settings are needed for each one, then you can start with those and see if it really works the way you want with them, or if you need to tune them to get the exact behavior you're after.

It's fairly complicated...but worth the effort to do it this way.

Dunlop said:
What I am missing is what do the "Low" and "Med" positions do on your 3 position switch?? are they the same??
Thanks,
Keith

With the battery fully charged, no load speed for position 1 is around 45 MPH, 2 is 60 MPH, and 3 is 69 MPH. 1 also caps the power to around 4400W and the real world speed at around 38 MPH.

I ride in position 1 most of the time. I set my PAS max to 350W on the CA, so the switch has no effect, since more power than that is available, even in the lowest position. For me the switch a really convenient way setup the bike for everyday riding, but with quick access to full power.

Hi Guys,
Been kind of busy lately, and busy reading the CA info page when I could... but I really just wanted to thank you guys for your help.

E-HP - I finally understand your 3 positions switch!! Only question is "What is it that your are limiting? Volts? Amps? or Speed?

amberwolf- Sorry if I wore you a little thin with silly questions the other night!! I does appear you are correct that the latest firmware does support regen by back-pedaling (2 different ways actually). Also, Yes I know I need a build thread of my own... I have not started it yet, because so far I have only purchased a bunch of parts... I will definitely do that once I start putting pieces together!!! I get your point!! (I am actually going to copy/paste a couple of my original posts from these other threads, to get it started off).

Thank you both for getting me headed in the right direction!
Keith

I posted a question about the CA 3.2b firmware in its own thread, but as it went mostly unnoticed I thought I'd try here where the discussion about this firmware seems to happen.

So my question: when I brake with ebrake levers + throttle, I can brake to a full stop without using the mechanical brakes (more precisely: I can brake down to 2kph, which is set as the regen brake speed minimum in my baserunner). But if I brake with backpedal regen, it suddenly stops braking around 6kph and I cannot reach a full stop - I have to use ebrakes or good ol' brakes.

I went over all the parameters in the CA setup application (and the phaserunner too, just to be sure), but I didn't see anything that looked like "packpedal regen min speed".

Did I miss something? is it a limitation for some reason? a bug?

Hi SRB22....
I am definitely NOT the right guy to answer your question, but.... That is an interesting problem you are encountering, and I have subscribed to your thread. I have always thought it would be great if I could buy a CA, controller, and hub motor from the same source, they should work well together and there would only be one direction to go for help. This seems to me like a question for Justin_le.
I have a lame question (that won't help you out any) but can you describe how many e-brakes/regen systems you have active? I don't quite understand your statement about
when I brake with ebrake levers + throttle

Thanks,
Keith

Back