Cycle life tests of High Energy density cylindrical cells

BTW, nkon have in stock Samsung INR21700-53G1 (Yes I know, "too litle, too late":sneaky: - I mean Samsung of course) but still ordered samples for the cycle life. In datasheet they promises similar cycle life as their 50G line.

Last edited:
BTW, nkon have in stock Samsung INR21700-53G1 (Yes I know, "too litle, too late":sneaky: - I mean Samsung of course) but still ordered samples for the cycle life. In datasheet they promises similar cycle life as their 50G line.

Awesome, NKON also got some new molicel P30B, looks like a miracle high power high capacity 18650! I am sure it would be worth testing as well.

Awesome, NKON also got some new molicel P30B, looks like a miracle high power high capacity 18650! I am sure it would be worth testing as well.
My bad! The P30B from nkon reached 500 cycles this week at 0.5-5C 100% DoD, but I have failed to edit the HP thread yet :( . And other very interesting HP cells to follow thanks to the support of a forum members. I am also struggling with the scale of how to appropriately present the EVE INR4695P results...

Are there any plans to ever switch to testing at 4.2V? It seems silly to me to test to a nonstandard voltage that the vast majority of users won't use. Batteries IMO are bought to be used, and given how robust modern batteries are getting it doesn't seem necessary to test to lower margins anymore. The lower discharge point is take or leave, batteries are often a lot less useful at lower voltages anyway.

Thanks for these tests, they are very useful (even outside the normal ES community - I've recently gotten into EUC (electric unicycle) where there's current significant interest in cells like the 50S.

4.2V would be suboptimal for High Ni cells like most of the ones we're currently seeing.
H+ and volume changes at 4.2V are just too much for these cells to keep low internal resistance.

small update after while

Vapcell F36 cycle life is is rather disappointing, Samsung 53G looks similar so far, both at 100% DoD.
Wow, the Vapcell N40 died too. I wonder if the F60 is going to fail similarly.

A little update. Tenpower 50ME suffered a sudden death effect at 700 cycles at 100% DoD. There may be a connection to a similar result with the 40TG.

Vapcell N40 recently finished 1000 cycle at 90% DoD. Graphs will be updated at some point.

It looks like the N40 and F60 failed pretty early, right?
In their defense F60 is still running at 100% DoD ;) it seems that it will reach 500 cycles at ca 80% SoC. I think they are doing well beyond my expectations. Personally, before I got my hands on them, I didn't much believe they would actually have such a high energy density and if they did, they would be dead within 300 full cycles.

seems there is no clear winner as to which manufacturer has the best battery technology

surprised even panasonic/sanyo shows so much "decay" in their capacity after 1000 cycles v/s late comers like lishen/bak/ samsung...

many people have a bunch of NCR18650GA and LG MJ1...

even NASA study favoured the MJ1 , but my LG MJ1 after 5 years intermiitent usage has only 60% capacity tested on a vapcell S4 charger

This is really awesome info, where were you when I was sourcing batteries for vape rigs?

In any case, my addled brain barfed out "This man has what looks like a career of turning batteries and electricity into escaped magic smoke.. i want a job like that.

Random question. Why test 90% DoD? I daily charge my batteries to 80% or 90% capacity and then charge once in a while to 100% right before a long ride. I think I only discharge down to about 3V per cell. So, I guess I answered my own question.

Which aspect of the 100% DoD test do you think is more damaging to the cells leading to the differences you see between 100% DoD and 90% DoD test results? The charge to 4.2V or the discharge to 2.5V?

Back