Ebike road race bike: Questions and build info

disregard anything I talked about on the rear wheel Jay,

The Nuvinci negates all my fumblings in that regard.

When you cant sleep some night, brows thoses links & you will see we are running (2) 16t freewheels on a mountain bike freehub (that takes an 8 or 9 speed gear cluster/cassett) to make the pedals & motor totaly independant of each other...(& totaly elliminates the ability to re-gen brake)

Originaly the idea was to drive a sram "Dual drive" 3 speed internaly geared hub....I am thinking we proved no 3 speed bicycle hub was up to the power output we are feeding them.

Duh, 35mm is correct. I am headed to the post office tonight, I'll send it out to you.

Any thing else you can think of you need? let me know. I have 12mm reams & things to make sprockets fit metric motors. but lead times are such we will need to pay the Mc masterCarr upcharge for next day delivery for modifyable parts.

I'm not sure what I still need. :lol:

I just got my front disk brake calipers and went to install them on the bike right now and I think something is wrong here. The forks look like they are set up for Radially mounted calipers. And I don't know if I am just looking at this braket the wrong way, but it appears that the bracket is a perpendicular mount. I'm guessing that all of the calipers are actually perpendicular mounts, but that the bracket needs to be a radial mount design. The bracket I have looks like it will bolt onto the rear mount which is perpendicular, but I can not see any way to mount it to the front fork mounts. The ad specifically stated that this was a front brake kit with an adapter for 8" rotor. The cable looks only long enough to be a front brake. Are there any forks out there that have the bracket mounted to them perpendicularly? It appears that the RST Capa forks I ordered have the same radial mounts as the Rock Shox that I currently have. Am I missing something understanding wise, or am I missing a part?

It looks like I am using the motorcycle terminology and not the bicycle terminology. From what I have been able to gather so far, radial mount is called post mount and perpendicular mount is called IS mount. Is this correct? What does IS stand for?

International standard.

I think the LBS should have adapters to go from one to the other.

Dang, another thing I had to learn the hard way. I think that there might not be an adapter for these calipers I got. I need to do a longer search, but so far I haven't found anything for a AVID ELIXIR R 8" post mount adapter.

Jay,
I'm 95% positive all Avid adapters are the same because they all have the same bolt style and spacing. I'm guessing your fork is a post mount, i.e. two holes in the rear of the left fork leg rather than 2 loops? It doesn't even have to be Avid, most of the other manufacturers have given in to the IS system, don't you wish motorcycles would adopt the same system?

Stop being so secretive, let's see the mojo you have brewing already! I think we all have secrets up our sleeves for this one, and Thud hasn't even started building his bike yet! :lol:

Dual RH drive (motor and pedal) is super easy with the NuVinci, no need to fab up anything, Staton Inc has it off the shelf! (If you need a different sprocket size or type, he is happy to make one for you at very reasonable rates too)

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...0H_sprocket_and_freewheel_adaptor-543-38.html

3274.jpg

Here is a pic of the sprocket sitting behind the pedal freewheel:

743.jpg

This is a #410 sprocket with 27 teeth (single speed bicycle 1/8 chain ) so if you are planning on using #35 or #25 or what ever you decide to run, he can just put a hole in the middle of your chosen sprocket, and tack weld it onto a spare freewheel adapter.

I have found the Dicta freewheels to be too light duty to handle much, and I discovered if you take a prospective freewheel, and lay it flat on a table, and if still spins free, (the center isn't going to bind against the adapter, some are too wide at the outer ring and will cause issues with chains rubbing) then you won't even need to use the washer between the two, and it will make for a nice tight fit with out being too tight.

I found that Shimano makes a special sprocket that is designed to use either 1/8 single speed or 3/32 multi speed bicycle chain, and it's tougher than some of the premium freewheels (this is only an issue if you are pedaling hard, they all freewheel just fine as the motor propels ya, I was breaking most freewheels with leg power up hills :roll: :lol: ) and not terribly expensive, about $20.

etard said:
Jay,
It doesn't even have to be Avid, most of the other manufacturers have given in to the IS system, don't you wish motorcycles would adopt the same system?
Which system, the IS? I prefer radial mount (post mount) on my motorcycles.

etard said:
Jay,
Stop being so secretive, let's see the mojo you have brewing already! I think we all have secrets up our sleeves for this one, and Thud hasn't even started building his bike yet! :lol:

Secretive? Are you being sarcastic with that one? (Hard to tell on forums sometimes.) I don't have my bike built yet either. I don't even have a rear wheel yet. :lol: I gotta go down and pick that up today, hopefully it is right this time. Actually, I still don't even have a fork that will allow me to install my front wheel, and I can't install my brakes either. Just got the motor finally running yesterday. I still have to glue the halls in place, and then get the motor mounted up. Then I have to still figure out how I'm going to drive the bike with the thing. Hopefully after that it won't take me too long to figure out how I'm going to mount up my batteries. :oops: At this point I don't have anything to be secretive of. I can take a pic of all the pieces laying around a frame in my livingroom, but that's about it. :lol:

Jay, this is my freewheel adapter I made up on Friday, very similar to the Stanton

View attachment 2

2011-09-30 09.48.12.jpg

2011-09-30 10.46.27.jpg

Jay, I think the Hayes caliper are the ones that will bolt right up to those mounts. I went to my LBS whne I tried puttong a Hayes on a regular and they had nothing, I ended up making one myself.

Unfortunately I already bought an avid caliper set before realizing there was the difference. I talked to a company that thinks thirty adapter will work. Got it on order.

LI-ghtcycle said:
Nice set-up Drew, using #35 chain and go-cart sprockets? :)

close, 219 chain

Drew, where did you get that inner adaptor from? I checked with my local bikeshop and they said they didn't have anything that size. I contacted Stanton and they are too busy to make me a custom one that will fit a larger sprocket.

It is already installed on the Nuvinci, you have to remove the clip ring and it slides off

Jay64 said:
Drew, where did you get that inner adaptor from? I checked with my local bikeshop and they said they didn't have anything that size. I contacted Stanton and they are too busy to make me a custom one that will fit a larger sprocket.

It's where the freewheel threads on, that portion of the hub looks like this:

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/docs/Parts_CatalogV5.pdf (look at page 6 of the PDF)

It has a special proprietary snap ring that fits while still allowing the freewheel to go over top of it.

Very simple to weld it to an adapter or directly to a sprocket.

drewjet said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
Nice set-up Drew, using #35 chain and go-cart sprockets? :)

close, 219 chain

Very kewl, looking that up, is it a common size for karts? Maybe a bit smaller than #25?

Ah, I know the part. I thought it was another part that didn't have the threading on it. Drew, did you take all the threading off, or just at the one side? Can you still thread a free wheel on it for the pedals chain?

Threads are still there so that I can screw on a freewheel. All I did was take a 1/16 or so thick plate (which I really think should be a bit thicker, maybe 1/8") drill a 1" hole in it to fit over the nuvinci adapter, weld it on, cut it in a circle, and drill the 6 holes to match the sprocket.

219 is the race chain, it is smaller than #35, but much stronger, it is bigger than #25

Bike is no where near finished, still waiting on a bunch of parts. Got a 26" wheel in the front while I'm waiting for the 20" forks to arrive. But I figured I would put a few early pics up, just to share.

TfColossus.jpg

dbaker said:
pedal ground clearance :?:

Like I said, I still got a lot of work to do yet. I need to get the 20" forks so I can out on the 20" front wheel. Then I can get the exact length I need for the cranks.

The rake is going to be quite steep when you get a 20in fork and wheel in there Jay, I would possibly be inclined to leave the current fork in there myself, hope it works for you anyways buddy :D

KiM

I was actually planning on using this 26" fork w the 20" wheel. Unfortunately the Pirelli tire doesn't fit. That is one thing I'm worried about w going w the 20" fork. But it will be a good to have the 20" fork and test. If it doesn't work I will modify the 26" to fit the Pirelli. But I don't want to modify it just to switch to the 20" one later. I have to cut off the rim brake posts to use the 20" wheel, so I want to do that as a last resort, so that I can use it for another build later. Don't get me wrong, I will hack that 26" fork if it is the best option for the track. :twisted:

Back