New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

I have just installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 /36 volt -350 watt Crank Motor into a Recumbent Trike. The install is pretty much painless & a lot simpler than some rear hub motors I have installed. If you are installing in anything but a fairly standard 2 wheel bike be aware that the cables will likely be too short & you will need extension cables. So far I have only been able to find 18 inch cables & for trikes you need them about 1 yard/meter long. Please see photos & let me know if you know where to get these cables.
The only issue I have with the basic setting is either the wheel size is wrong, (set for 26 inch?) or the speed sensor needs calibrating as the Display is indicating my speed at roughly twice what it actually is. (Trike has 20 inch wheels) I've played around with the display buttons but couldn't find any combination to open up the parameter settings. The unit seems very well built & is a compact motor unit which keeps it light. Without weighing it I would estimate 10 lbs. complete. Power comes on smoothly & the 4 power levels I think have made for an adequate power spread. One caution I would add to anyone using this kit, if you are in tight quarters or in close to people standing around, make sure you are not in the Turbo (Max power mode) as even an easy push on your pedals can make your trike or bike lurch forward. Photos need re-sizing- GRRR!

ScooterMan101 said:
It is best for Eyebyesickle to just minus the price of those 8 speed chainrings and offer a couple of spiders when ordering the TSDZ2. Since the Majority of bikes now are 10 and 11 speed.
Scoot,
I agree, since that stock steel 8 spd chain ring looks odd to me in the pics I've seen.
As long as the spiders allow the chain line to be as inboard as possible, that would be the best choice for me too. My mtn bike is 9 and two others are 10 spd.

Although, the big ebike specific cassette that SRAM makes has gone back to 8 spd. They even have an ebike specific 8 spd chain to go with it. And a derailleur to handle the 48 T big cog.

Daytriker said:
I have just installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 /36 volt -350 watt Crank Motor into a Recumbent Trike. The install is pretty much painless & a lot simpler than some rear hub motors I have installed. If you are installing in anything but a fairly standard 2 wheel bike be aware that the cables will likely be too short & you will need extension cables. So far I have only been able to find 18 inch cables & for trikes you need them about 1 yard/meter long. Please see photos & let me know if you know where to get these cables.
The only issue I have with the basic setting is either the wheel size is wrong, (set for 26 inch?) or the speed sensor needs calibrating as the Display is indicating my speed at roughly twice what it actually is. (Trike has 20 inch wheels) I've played around with the display buttons but couldn't find any combination to open up the parameter settings. The unit seems very well built & is a compact motor unit which keeps it light. Without weighing it I would estimate 10 lbs. complete. Power comes on smoothly & the 4 power levels I think have made for an adequate power spread. One caution I would add to anyone using this kit, if you are in tight quarters or in close to people standing around, make sure you are not in the Turbo (Max power mode) as even an easy push on your pedals can make your trike or bike lurch forward. Photos need re-sizing- GRRR!

To alter the default settings:

1) start the system by pressing the on button that looks like a computer on/off button.
2) press both the on and the button ("i" ?) for 3 seconds continuously.
3) press 4 times the button ("i" ?) until the menu "select wheel diameter" ... press the + or - button until the correct value
4) menu "cc number of wheel magnets", leave at 0001 unless you have more than one.
5) select units of measurement, press + or - to switch between km/ h or mile/ h.
6) function 6 km/h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the function (this is a powered walk mode)
7) limit 25 km / h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the speed limit

Larsottar, who started this thread over a year ago, also said that by quickly pressing the i ? button at this point "you can not turn on and turn off the light display" ... I suspect what he meant was that by pressing the on / off button quickly you can control whether the display is lighted for night use.

Finally:

8) press on/off button to turn the system off and save your settings

BTW, Daytriker, you're best advised to never use high power settings at low speeds. Never! there's a blue nylon gear in there that you will destroy if you continue the practice of using high power settings from zero speed, ESPECIALLY if you use high torque takeoffs!

RTIII said:
BTW, Daytriker, you're best advised to never use high power settings at low speeds. Never! there's a blue nylon gear in there that you will destroy if you continue the practice of using high power settings from zero speed, ESPECIALLY if you use high torque takeoffs!

The same silly misguided use of the BBS02 is what gave it a reputation for the plastic gear fail. Operator error, not motor error. That said the BBSxx series are so much more complex and so many substandard parts that have been changed over 3 year make this TSDZ a much more interesting motor. Especially for the lower speed market. I'll be staring a build thread soon. Most of my parts are in place. I'm retiring a BBS01 in excellent condition to the spare parts bin. It propels all 220lbs of me and 40 of bike at 21MPH. Excited to see what this motor does. New controller for throttle use arrived yesterday. The company has become quite responsive. Much more so than Bafang, but my grandmothers corpse is more responsive than Bafang.

Edit. I was impressed by the ease at which I was provided a parts list and manual. Never have been able to get anything resembling them from the other mid drive makers. Spare parts attached.

Has anyone used the steel replacement for the nylon? Sound files for both?

Attachments

• spare parts list Tongsheng tsdz2.pdf
    234.6 KB · Views: 270
Not only did you make my day with this added information, you gave me a laugh as well. I too had sent messages to Tongsheng main office without any response. So I am guessing their Language Division isn't up to speed quite yet. Thanks also for the feedback on the nylon gear, I'll be sure to make my customers aware of that pre-caution. If any buyers are dealing with Tongsheng direct, it might be an idea to ask them to include the programming instructions with each kit. Not everyone rides a Mountain Bike or 26 inch wheel. :)
I have a second install to do with this TSDZ2 model so will be able to offer feedback after a couple weeks once I hear from my customers. Cheers, Glen

Apparently there s some difficulty finding the VLDC-5 manual. It is on the CNE website.

Attachments

• VLCD-5 display.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 221
TSDZ2 Assembly

Attachments

• TSDZ2 Assembly.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 266
I also need to find extension cables for installing these motors. I have sent 2 emails without success to the factory but I did manage to find a Canadian Supplier that had 1/2 meter long cables. For Recumbent Installations you will need 1 - 1/2 meter & 1 Meter length. You may also wish to ask for longer Battery (Anderson) Cables also. Mine JUST fit on a Rear Rack Recumbent Trike install. The cables are a 5 pin in a horseshoe with a 6th central pin. The name on the connector says Julet but I am not sure if that is the Brand Name or style of connector.

tomjasz said:
Apparently there s some difficulty finding the VLDC-5 manual. It is on the CNE website.

here is a file folder with a bunch of docs etc:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8ZJVw_3ibzkRUVHMy1yaV93TVE

the replacement gear is copper, works good, louder...

glad its working out for you guys. I like these little motors too. a lot =)

tomjasz said:
RTIII said:

The same silly misguided use of the BBS02 is what gave it a reputation for the plastic gear fail. Operator error, not motor error. That said the BBSxx series are so much more complex and so many substandard parts that have been changed over 3 year make this TSDZ a much more interesting motor. Especially for the lower speed market. I'll be staring a build thread soon. Most of my parts are in place. I'm retiring a BBS01 in excellent condition to the spare parts bin. It propels all 220lbs of me and 40 of bike at 21MPH. Excited to see what this motor does. New controller for throttle use arrived yesterday. The company has become quite responsive. Much more so than Bafang, but my grandmothers corpse is more responsive than Bafang.

Edit. I was impressed by the ease at which I was provided a parts list and manual. Never have been able to get anything resembling them from the other mid drive makers. Spare parts attached.

Has anyone used the steel replacement for the nylon? Sound files for both?

yeah, the parts list also has

23 - 左手操作器 (left hand operation)

and

24 - 曲柄 (crank)

... didn't see those on that one.

Daytriker said:
[...snip...]The name on the connector says Julet but I am not sure if that is the Brand Name or style of connector.

Geez! You REALLY need to read all 833+ comments in this thread! :lol:

SDZ2 kit connectors appear to be the Higo mini A a German company with Higo connectors:

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/connectors/higo

Itchyfoot42 (as reported WAY up-thread) has successfully ordered higo extension cable(s):

http://www.higoconnector.com/products?page=1

NOTE that personally, I haven't ordered any such cables, I'm just a ... um... "historian", or maybe a "very detail oriented person" who knows how to take notes! :D 8)

Daytriker said:
I also need to find extension cables for installing these motors. I have sent 2 emails without success to the factory but I did manage to find a Canadian Supplier that had 1/2 meter long cables. For Recumbent Installations you will need 1 - 1/2 meter & 1 Meter length. You may also wish to ask for longer Battery (Anderson) Cables also. Mine JUST fit on a Rear Rack Recumbent Trike install. The cables are a 5 pin in a horseshoe with a 6th central pin. The name on the connector says Julet but I am not sure if that is the Brand Name or style of connector.

I asked tonight is they are available...we'll see...

My biggest problem might be I just don't know how all the functions on these message boards work.
Once again, Thank you for your valuable assistance.

Hi eyebyesickle

just to let you know, i just purchased a 48v 18a controller from you on ebay :)
ebay is showing the ETA as mid September! is there any way i can pay extra for faster shipping at all?

+ does the TS throttle work with this controller?

Cheers!

extrasilver said:
Hi eyebyesickle

just to let you know, i just purchased a 48v 18a controller from you on ebay :)
ebay is showing the ETA as mid September! is there any way i can pay extra for faster shipping at all?

+ does the TS throttle work with this controller?

Cheers!

oooh , yeah I have all the time set way late on ebay, because they really give me a hard time, holding funds for 21 days because my account keep getting penalized over contact info =P

I will get it to you a lot faster than mid September... already got some en route to me, a week or two tops until you get it.

Yeah, the throttle will work with the VLDC5 with the controller

THANKS

ah awesome, thank you!
i can't wait :D

just in case you missed it. i'm in Germany by the way :)

if there is a faster way to get it from the US to Germany just let me know.. im happy to pay extra for shipping

Male Cable End.jpgCable Side View.jpg
Daytriker said:

I now have 2 suppliers offering these cables in 500mm & 1000mm lengths. (18 & 36 inches approximately)
Please let me know if you have a need for these extension cables & I may keep a supply available on the North American side of the planet.

extrasilver said:
just in case you missed it. i'm in Germany by the way :)

if there is a faster way to get it from the US to Germany just let me know.. im happy to pay extra for shipping

yep, missed it for sure =P, that will go out from China warehouse.

the time is longer to Germany, for sure. I will rush it though, def, faster than mid September, you are looking at 2-3 weeks max, ill see if I can rush quicker

RTIII, I received what is described as a HIGO A cable from Germany. The connectors are a bit different from the one on the motor I received. I have them connected but no function to date. Checked and the pins are not bent. The cables are spliced in the center. Possibly I have a bad splice. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet. I have a longer frame due to a 26 inch rear wheel. Took a 1600mm cable for my trike. Available up to 2000mm.

Daytriker said:
My biggest problem might be I just don't know how all the functions on these message boards work.
Once again, Thank you for your valuable assistance.

..."Left click" the "quote button with your mouse to reply to someone specifically.

itchyfoot42 said:
RTIII, I received what is described as a HIGO A cable from Germany. The connectors are a bit different from the one on the motor I received. I have them connected but no function to date.

...Yes, there appear to be multiple versions of the Higo and there was speculation WAY up-thread (in this thread) that the one Tongsheng has used / is using is one that's no longer available on the open market and was apparently superseded with another version of it. ... I have no idea what the truth is, I'm just reporting what I've read!

tomjasz said:
TSDZ2 Assembly
Great document. Thanks.

this answers some of the questions about how to grease these things. The grease recomended by the manufacturer is FT-EM50L https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/Details.aspx?prod=01843524&type=PROD . There was some questions earlier about me using white lithium grease on my unit pertaining to plastic compatibility and operating temperature. This manufacturer recomended grease does have a slightly higher temp of 150 celsius (white lithium is 120) - additionally this grease is definitely formulated to be plastic compatible, while white lithium is not. If you are unsure what grease to use this is the one. I will regrease at the end of the season and report on what I find. I do not suggest anyone use White lithium until I report back. Use the FT-EM50L. (warning - it's expensive stuff. Like 20 bucks for a little thing on ebay. No wonder the manufacturer used so little grease on my unit.)

I'm sure there is lots of other interesting things in this manual.

Next time you contact TS could you please ask them what the maximum load is for the light switch? I would like to wire up some lights soon and don't want to burn anything out. I do plan to run it through a relay but still nervous without having a data sheet on the electrical properties of these controllers.

Thanks

Greetings to all.

I am a new member of this forum and I have been lurking for months on this thread to glean information concerning the TSDZ2 mid-motor drive by Tongsheng.

I purchased the TSDZ2 unit on eBay along with a 36v 10AH LiFePo4 rack battery to convert an Electra RatRod cruiser bike to a pedal-assist only configuration.

The 350-watt TSDZ2 came with the VLCD5 display and the coaster brake function with no throttle. I purchased a throttle that fits the VLCD5 display and I can confirm the throttle does not function with this configuration.

My aim was to design a pedal-assist cruiser with the simplest possible configuration and ease of operation. I am very pleased with the results.

The Electra RatRod cruiser is configured as a pedals-forward 3-speed Nexus IGH with coaster brakes and wide handlebars, and the rider sits upright which is a comfortable ride around the lakeside community where I live in central Texas.

The RatRod cruises in 3rd gear at 15-18 mph with a comfortable pedal cadence and plenty of assist with going up fairly steep grades without downshifting.

I am aware of the issues with the nylon drive gear failing under extreme torque conditions but I have not experienced that failure although I intend to upgrade to the metal gear for grins.

The introduction of the 48v 500-watt TSDZ2 is good news to my ears because I would like to have a throttle function for those moments when I would enjoy cruising along the lakeside without pedaling.

Overall, I don't think I could have chosen a better mid-drive motor for my design parameters.

My next project will be building an Electra cruiser for my wife with the new 48v 500-watt TSDZ2 and throttle function.

Attachments

• Electra RatRod Motor View1.jpg
    Electra RatRod Motor View1.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 2,284
  • Electra RatRod Oblique View1.jpg
    Electra RatRod Oblique View1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2,284
  • Electra RatRod Battery View1.jpg
    Electra RatRod Battery View1.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 2,284
  • Electra RatRod Handlebars1.jpg
    Electra RatRod Handlebars1.jpg