Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

Well after having read about this nifty speedict device I just can't wait to get one myself. Especially the road legal option makes it very interesting to get some biking fun while the bike is temporarely not road- legal. So today I have ordered one. I'll join the club.

IHatePedalling said:
Well after having read about this nifty speedict device I just can't wait to get one myself. Especially the road legal option makes it very interesting to get some biking fun while the bike is temporarely not road- legal. So today I have ordered one. I'll join the club.

welcome

That sounds real good, can i order a new one already?

When i order now from your site do i get then the new one for 80 euro?

wow thanks, i like the customer service you have.

I let you know how it works.

The movies and pictures looks very good.

Cant wait to try :)

Hi Danny i was thinking, if say i connect my Speedict in line at say the +36V position on my 72V battery and join the negatives to the negative (0V) connection, would this help with the voltage blowing my Speedict and i'll just assume voltage is 2x viewed for approximation.

megacycle said:
Hi Danny i was thinking, if say i connect my Speedict in line at say the +36V position on my 72V battery and join the negatives to the negative (0V) connection, would this help with the voltage blowing my Speedict and i'll just assume voltage is 2x viewed for approximation.

i don't think so, you mean is voltage divider circuit right? but be careful the high current will pass through your divider circuit, it will generate heat and voltage drop there ! but you are almost there ...

i am busy right now, but i ordered some component for EV project next week (see my facebook), the idea like your is the high current and voltage run external path, and the voltage divide say 1/4 and connect to speedict input 200v divide to 50v, we then scale 50v display 200v, and the external current path output data (50mv/A) connect to our signal port and translate back to current data :D

Hi Danny,

Do you think the speedict could display on the sony ericsson watch ?
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

PeeHell said:
Hi Danny,

Do you think the speedict could display on the sony ericsson watch ?
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

at a glance, i don't think so, this sony is designed work for android phone only, may not be work alone, need some research see if anyone can root it as standard android device ....

consider this https://motoactv.com/, i was told it can be rooted for standard android device, i am waiting for my customer's report, but the downside is costly.

Attachments

• get.jpg
    get.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,491
How about a cheap android tablet ? What's scaling within the app like ?
I picked up a 7" tablet for $62 delivered a few weeks back. If the bright sun making the image hard to see isn't too much of an issue having that on the bars would be cool!

speedict said:
megacycle said:

i don't think so, you mean is voltage divider circuit right? but be careful the high current will pass through your divider circuit, it will generate heat and voltage drop there ! but you are almost there ...

i am busy right now, but i ordered some component for EV project next week (see my facebook), the idea like your is the high current and voltage run external path, and the voltage divide say 1/4 and connect to speedict input 200v divide to 50v, we then scale 50v display 200v, and the external current path output data (50mv/A) connect to our signal port and translate back to current data :D

Yeh the full current still flows through speedict so i don't know if that is still a problem but the 1/2 pack voltage is running the Speedict, its not really a potential divider if either + or - is a common through connection as there is no real current being used by Speedict, it and it is really just tapping a different point on the pack, as i am assuming a common negative and sense resistance is in positive line.
I think generally accurate voltage measuring is a lot easier than other parameters, even if speedict had a separate pack voltage sense connection or other external means of voltage measuring via bms or voltmeter.
Essentially maybe speedict could be run of say a 6S tap point on whatever size pack, with a 150V pack for even motorbike type setups.

megacycle said:
speedict said:
megacycle said:

Yeh the full current still flows through speedict so i don't know if that is still a problem but the 1/2 pack voltage is running the Speedict, its not really a potential divider if either + or - is a common through connection as there is no real current being used by Speedict, it and it is really just tapping a different point on the pack, as i am assuming a common negative and sense resistance is in positive line.
I think generally accurate voltage measuring is a lot easier than other parameters, even if speedict had a separate pack voltage sense connection or other external means of voltage measuring via bms or voltmeter.
Essentially maybe speedict could be run of say a 6S tap point on whatever size pack, with a 150V pack for even motorbike type setups.

see attached diagram, it is similar to your proposed method, yes the voltage is 1/2 of the pack, however you can see on method 1 (left) no current flow through speedict that's mean no current measurement, on method 2 (right), "some" current will flow through speedict but we don't know the ratio of total current draw ...

and if you just tap one of your battery pack and let speedict scale up, it may not be accuracy enough because 2 battery may not be in same potential :(

why need absolute accurate of battery pack measurement ? it is our top question to solve and up to this moment we don't have solution because what is earth's reference voltage ? for 5v or under 10v it is easy by using some reference IC but for high voltage it is so difficult and the back to square one, can we find the reference voltage to calibrate our reference voltage :)

last week we came up an idea, may look stupid but i think it may help at least some customers .... for instant you have your 10s pack fully charged range between 41.9 - 42.6v (who care) then you connect it to speedict and we measure it say 42v, on android client interface you mark this point as FULL CHARGE point, and set say 37V as max discharge point, and speedict divide by 100% or 1000, on android screen you have 2 display one is the actual voltage speedict measured e.g. 42V and other is show 100% ... you can discharge until 1 or even 0%. each battery pack will have one QR barcode to store all its information such as percentage range or say profile, and when changing battery pack android client can just scan and replace with this battery pack ...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-15 at 10.25.06 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-15 at 10.25.06 AM.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,381
Hyena said:
How about a cheap android tablet ? What's scaling within the app like ?
I picked up a 7" tablet for $62 delivered a few weeks back. If the bright sun making the image hard to see isn't too much of an issue having that on the bars would be cool!

tablet with bluetooth ? good price, on android size is not issue, just consider the resolution, e.g. if you have 4" and 10" with same resolution, the display look exactly same, yes android will do some scaling, not perfect but at least you can use.

you can go to market and download the latest speedict android client, and set your preferred layout such as 2x3, 2x4 or 2x5 see if you like it.

cwah said:
Will the new speedict work with the Samsung S3? I haven't been using it since a while as the actual one isn't compatible.

sorry new speedict will do the same on bluetooth transceiver according to android API, and we tried some ICS device without any problem, so i still think the problem is from samsung's custom ROM, but we take it seriously ... we need more time to find out.

speedict said:
then you connect it to speedict and we measure it say 42v, on android client interface you mark this point as FULL CHARGE point, and set say 37V as max discharge point, and speedict divide by 100% or 1000, on android screen you have 2 display one is the actual voltage speedict measured e.g. 42V and other is show 100% ... you can discharge until 1 or even 0%. each battery pack will have one QR barcode to store all its information such as percentage range or say profile, and when changing battery pack android client can just scan and replace with this battery pack ...
A large battery gauge / bar graph would be good but using voltage alone is highly inaccurate as it will vary all over the place with voltage sag according to chemistry and battery age / IR.
A much better and really the only accurate way to do it would be to simply display amp hour as a percentage of a pre-entered amount.
Eg if it's a 10ah battery then fully charged (at what ever voltage) reads 100% and 1% at 9.9ah or what ever the user wants to enter. This would be good for users wanting to allow a safe or conservative discharge. Eg enter 100% capacity as 9ah, or have a feature where it flashes red when 90% is reached. If you wanted to add extra selectable features this could also then limit the bike to say 30% throttle allowing you to limp home when the battery is almost out.

Also, sorry if this was covered earlier and I missed it but it mentions on your site about using a java phone for the main features and then gps, pedal cadence etc on an android device. Does this mean that the main features will work on any phone with java but you need an android for the others ?

Hyena said:
speedict said:
then you connect it to speedict and we measure it say 42v, on android client interface you mark this point as FULL CHARGE point, and set say 37V as max discharge point, and speedict divide by 100% or 1000, on android screen you have 2 display one is the actual voltage speedict measured e.g. 42V and other is show 100% ... you can discharge until 1 or even 0%. each battery pack will have one QR barcode to store all its information such as percentage range or say profile, and when changing battery pack android client can just scan and replace with this battery pack ...
A large battery gauge / bar graph would be good but using voltage alone is highly inaccurate as it will vary all over the place with voltage sag according to chemistry and battery age / IR.
A much better and really the only accurate way to do it would be to simply display amp hour as a percentage of a pre-entered amount.
Eg if it's a 10ah battery then fully charged (at what ever voltage) reads 100% and 1% at 9.9ah or what ever the user wants to enter. This would be good for users wanting to allow a safe or conservative discharge. Eg enter 100% capacity as 9ah, or have a feature where it flashes red when 90% is reached. If you wanted to add extra selectable features this could also then limit the bike to say 30% throttle allowing you to limp home when the battery is almost out.

got it, i will take note on it ... thanks

speedict said:
see attached diagram, it is similar to your proposed method, yes the voltage is 1/2 of the pack, however you can see on method 1 (left) no current flow through speedict that's mean no current measurement, on method 2 (right), "some" current will flow through speedict but we don't know the ratio of total current draw ...

and if you just tap one of your battery pack and let speedict scale up, it may not be accuracy enough because 2 battery may not be in same potential :(

why need absolute accurate of battery pack measurement ? it is our top question to solve and up to this moment we don't have solution because what is earth's reference voltage ? for 5v or under 10v it is easy by using some reference IC but for high voltage it is so difficult and the back to square one, can we find the reference voltage to calibrate our reference voltage :)

Not quite what i meant but close.
Referring to diagram 1, if the positive was say the common rail connection,
i'm still assuming there is one through one side? and the current sense is in the negative line, this is what i meant.
The 36V connection supplies the speedict's mA needs only and the full pack current still flows through speedict.Edit sorry clarify, speedict current sense resistor.
There are obviously other better methods of creating a lower voltage supply from a +100V pack to supply speedict's electronics, i'm not an EE, but i was thinking of immediate needs.
I'm wondering why it is difficult too, to monitor a higher voltage than speedict supply voltage.

megacycle said:
speedict said:

Not quite what i meant but close.
Referring to diagram 1, if the positive was say the common rail connection,
i'm still assuming there is one through one side? and the current sense is in the negative line, this is what i meant.
The 36V connection supplies the speedict's mA needs only and the full pack current still flows through speedict.
There are obviously other better methods of creating a lower voltage supply from a +100V pack to supply speedict's electronics, i'm not an EE, but i was thinking of immediate needs.
I'm wondering why it is difficult too, to monitor a higher voltage than speedict supply voltage.

can you draw on paper and send photo here for sure ?

I modified your fig1, as it was confusing me a little as the packs appear in parallel looking.
Scuse the phone drawing, hope its understandable.

capture_08.png
If it is this way it could be either rail of course.

megacycle said:
I modified your fig1, as it was confusing me a little as the packs appear in parallel looking.
Scuse the phone drawing, hope its understandable.

View attachment 1
If it is this way it could be either rail of course.

theoretically yes ! and i did the simulation for the circuit, see attachment !
just only one minor consideration, 2 battery packs potential may be different :)

Attachments

• simulation.png
    simulation.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,087
Back